Sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge receives death threats

webfact

The statements made by Thais to the sister sound to me exactly what a Thai person would say but in the Thai language the meaning is much different than what the translation into English purports to say, I doubt these statements were meant to be hurtful.

the problem is who is saying it and how is it translated and by whom and is there any explanation of the cultural context in which the statements are made and why it is being stated. In my many years in Thailand, I have often been irritated by statements Thai make but once the context is explained and I understand why' the statement is not as irritating. Obviously the sister is irritated by the translations and given the nature of this situation rightly so. I doubt an adequate explanation was ever given to her. While I do not believe guilt was proven in this case, I don't want extraneous cultural issues to obscure the real issues.

What I find extremely interesting and credible is the Anonymous clip which summarizes the case entirely and connects the handling of prior cases to the way investigations are handled. There is also another tape in Thai out there in Which Khun Sondhi explains process. The only way any of this will be solved is through the judicial process of Appeals and ultimately to the Thai Supreme Court.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hannah’s sister, Laura, has written a Facebook post describing the family’s grief and criticising Thai authorities’ handling of the case. She says her family were told: “Why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one.”

Oh come on---no matter how down on Thailand you are...This is fantasy from the Sister who I don't think even came here...can anyone really imagine in the middle of a murder hunt that is being reported world wide The Thai authorities saying ..."don't worry--Go Make another Baby" ...... What Authorities When.........Where....

And as for the other comments she is coming out with---"A Thai (Buddhist said )..."Its OK she will be back in 30 days as someone else"

I don't think the murder trial was conducted that well........I have definite doubts about the convicted....but this has to be recognised for what it is......pure fantasy.

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Oxo's posting resembles anything but the poster's own fantasy. It is a disgraceful post - one of the worst I have seen in all my years on TV. I have no doubt whatsoever that what Laura reports is correct. Anyone with an ounce of understanding of this whole tragic situation should oppose Oxo's post. Shameful.

Agreed, but unfortunately there still is no 'DISLIKE' button. IGNORE posters like this is the best we have so far.

Lets not forget Luke Miller........the world should demand to see the CCTV footage between 05.30-07.30 of the Sunset Bar. if those hours are not recorded (or lost) we know the score.......

1) At 05.30 security searched the pool for lost valuables as they do after every big pool party, no sign of Luke

2( At 07.30 he was found by cleaners.

Lets not forget Luke!

I agree , but what if there was no CCTV footage in that time period? Would you still believe it was an accident or just accept it as another brutal murder?

Well looks like the BBC has buried this story...

Must have had a call reminding them where their funding comes from.

When countries agree to be bound by Queensbury rules with one side rigidly adhering while the other routinely thumbs it's nose it's conceivable that the opposite might actually be the case.

About time the British Government grew a pair and confronted the Thai government.

Never happen we are living in a political Daisy Chain world. Politicians the world over are only puppets controlled by prophets/profiteers of money and greed. Its don't rock my boat and I will not rock yours. We are cannon fodder for the greater good? If you want to see our place in the world go to an anthill and watch the action. We only catch crumbs falling from the bounties on earth's table. There is a definite caste or pecking order system and we hold the bottom spot. Take 3 hours and watch https://m.youtube.co...h?v=rHxDvcJT72g. It was posted here before. Learn who is in charge and its not us.

Lets not forget Luke Miller........the world should demand to see the CCTV footage between 05.30-07.30 of the Sunset Bar. if those hours are not recorded (or lost) we know the score.......

1) At 05.30 security searched the pool for lost valuables as they do after every big pool party, no sign of Luke

Lets not forget Luke!

I agree , but what if there was no CCTV footage in that time period? Would you still believe it was an accident or just accept it as another brutal murder?

If you have read my posts on the Luke Miller thread you'd know the answer. But ok, one more time I believe this was a murder!

If it's in the Guardian it's being taken seriously.

Corrupt police make Thailand a 'dangerous trap', says sister of murdered British tourist

Laura Witheridge says Thai authorities mistreated her family, bungled the investigation and covered up other murders on idyllic tourist islands

She also hinted she believed Thai, not Burmese, nationals killed her sister on Koh Tao island and she received death threats throughout the trial, including one saying the killers had completed only “half the job”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/12/sister-of-murdered-tourist-says-corrupt-police-make-thailand-a-dangerous-trap

The arm of the Koh Tai mafia is long enough to reach into UK?

Theoretically yes. It would not be that hard to contact a family member or friend - one of the many Thai residing in the U.K.

Question is why would they be doing that?

To protect their interests. And it seemed to have been working for the past 16 months until the Witheridges could just not take it anymore...

You are one of the hang em high brigade aren't you? Starting to have second thoughts now?

I think the idea of a "hit man" waiting for the opportunity to strike is a bit OTT.

If it's in the Guardian it's being taken seriously.

Corrupt police make Thailand a 'dangerous trap', says sister of murdered British tourist

Laura Witheridge says Thai authorities mistreated her family, bungled the investigation and covered up other murders on idyllic tourist islands

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/12/sister-of-murdered-tourist-says-corrupt-police-make-thailand-a-dangerous-trap

Its number 3 story "Across the Graduain" , and number 1 "In world news" ..

Seeing as the Gardauin is one of the World's top ten news sites it is being read by millions.

Reminds me of :

"Down your street your crying is a well-known sound
Your street is very well known, through out your town
Your town is very famous for the little girl
Whose crying can be heard all around the world"

Hannah’s sister, Laura, has written a Facebook post describing the family’s grief and criticising Thai authorities’ handling of the case. She says her family were told: “Why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one.”

Oh come on---no matter how down on Thailand you are...This is fantasy from the Sister who I don't think even came here...can anyone really imagine in the middle of a murder hunt that is being reported world wide The Thai authorities saying ..."don't worry--Go Make another Baby" ...... What Authorities When.........Where....

And as for the other comments she is coming out with---"A Thai (Buddhist said )..."Its OK she will be back in 30 days as someone else"

I don't think the murder trial was conducted that well........I have definite doubts about the convicted....but this has to be recognised for what it is......pure fantasy.

There is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Oxo's posting resembles anything but the poster's own fantasy. It is a disgraceful post - one of the worst I have seen in all my years on TV. I have no doubt whatsoever that what Laura reports is correct. Anyone with an ounce of understanding of this whole tragic situation should oppose Oxo's post. Shameful.

My thoughts exactly. The most despicable post I have ever seen on these forums, quite frankly.

oxo1947... every time I see his posts now I will think of this thread and it will be the context for anything he says.

-

To Hannah's sister: if you ever read this know that we are behind you. This must never be allowed to be forgotten. Thailand deserves nothing less than to be constantly reminded of its utter contempt for its guests. If fewer people holiday in Thailand because of your sister's murder then at least something good came out of the appalling situation.

This is not a developing country, it's a third world country and people should know what they are truly getting into when they trust their lives with Thailand, its authorities and its people.

Just posted this on the Luke Miller thread. Seems to me to have the same relevance here.

I agree with you absolutely. Quite a number of these rtp apologists have been guilty of sickening callousness in their comments, almost on a par with the scum who commited these crimes and roam free to do it again.

There's no accounting for human nature. How low would anyone stoop to protect their interests and those of their paymasters? Right down to gutter level and below apparently. It's not only Thais, as someone suggested, who have no concept of conscience.

Ignoring their sick fantasies is my preferred way to deal with them. Why give them the pleasure of being acknowledged as if their lies, digressions, obfuscations, deliberate baiting and general disregard for the obvious truth, apart from their overall disregard for human life.....as if any of this garbage was worth responding directly to them.

Luke's sister and Hannah's are indeed brave young woman who probably don't see it that way themselves. They just want justice to be done and seen to be done for their departed siblings. I think any of us would do the same if it was our brothers and sisters whose lives had been lost in such a meaningless way.They want people to realise the corruption and cover-ups involved and see the depths to which Kho Tao officialdom will stoop to protect their precious baht and save their worthless faces.

I hope the efforts of the decent-minded people who post on here can go some way to support them.

Lets not forget Luke!

To be honest mate most of the world is not interested to see the CCTV.

Sadly.

I hope they stay strong and fight against the Authorities that have not helped them with this horrific shambles of a murder investigation!!

Hopefully the world will wake up to the corrupt authorities that exist in Thailand!!

why anyone would come to Thailand as a tourist, especially when they have never been here before and do not know how nasty the Thai's can be to tourist is beyond me! stay your ass home or go to the P.I. or Cambodia or Vietnam! or even Japan!

Lets not forget Luke!

To be honest mate most of the world is not interested to see the CCTV.

Sadly.

On the contrary Roo we are very anxious, but sadly given the elapse in time, it is by now most likely to be all used up. Do you understand? You cannot use it twice, same as DNA.

Maybe they did not say that in those exact terms, but there is no doubt in my mind they said something similar.

....we do not want to believe what we know in our hearts to be true.....

...hundreds and thousands of incidents daily......

....'us'.....and........'them'........this is the 'culture' we are dealing with.......

...hatred...resentment...hostility......violence....

...we want to pretend it is not so.....

...I married into it....now I am fighting for my life...and my daughters.....

..who could have imagined....

...land of smiles..... <snip>

Sad to hear, some wackos on the net, probably just a troll but who knows

"Only done half the job" sounds like it came from a fellow Brit. Most probably from a immature jealous class mate, ex-boyfriend, work colleague, etc. Death threat for what ... being good looking? By the way I doubt the phrase "Only done half the job" would come from a Thai / Burmese. All the same Facebook should report the posters and have she/he investigated by the appropriate authorities.

I don t think so

The Fabio Polenghi's sister, the italian journalist shot dead by ??? few years ago, also received death threats when she went to Thailand seeking justice for her brother.

This is Thai style.

One strong anti-Thai post has been removed from this thread.

From the Forum Rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

And members are also reminded of the following from the Forum Rules:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

Hello dear family Witheridge,

I can understand your frustration with the investigation and the RTP. Thailand is a corrupt country on all levels and with a way of thinking..... totally different from ours !!

My wife was killed in a motorbike accident in January 2000...she was walking and 2 thailadies high on alcohol and drugs ran over her which rendered my wife horrible headinjuries and she died 1 month later....in coma ! The justicesystem failed miserably...eventhough we ( the family ) were promised a fair trial with long sentences for the 2 criminals on the bike. Only one of the 2 ladies went to jail in Suratthani....the other one disappeared somewhere. After a few months we learned that the accused lady in jail had bought her way out of jail and also disappeared....and that was that !!!! We had very little support from our own countrys Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand. The whole thing was a farse.....but I was not surprised....Money talks...and as a foreigner we dont stand a chance in the land of smiles !! Good luck anyway and be careful !! Love to you all !!

Thai authorities told family of murdered backpacker to 'go make another one', claims sister

by Asian Correspondent Staff

THE sister of a British backpacker brutally murdered on the Thai holiday island of Koh Tao has launched a scathing attack on Thai authorities on Facebook.

Laura Witheridge’s sister Hannah and another British backpacker were found bludgeoned to death on a beach on the idyllic Thai island in September 2014. Two Burmese migrants have been sentenced to death for the murders amid allegations of torture and mismanagement of the case by Thai police.

Monday’s Facebook post by Laura Witheridge, which followed the death of another British backpacker on Koh Tao last week, is the most candid statement yet by a member of the murdered backpackers’ families.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/01/thai-authorities-told-family-of-murdered-backpacker-to-go-make-another-one-claims-sister/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2016-01-12

Another gap in the cultural divide?

when we went to Thailand to bring Hannah home, we were offered the opportunity to go to the Royal Thai police headquarters for an official update but that, on arrival, we were taken into a large room, left for 5 minutes before the door opened and around 200 journalists were allowed into the room and we were ambushed by this mob of hungry journalists shoving cameras in our faces The thai police chief had no intentions of giving us an update after all, the bungled investigation meant he had nothing to tell us. The invitation was so that he could make money out of our misery. The press had paid him generously for 5 minutes to capture photographs of our family.

How utterly repugnant, not for the first time nor probably the last words fail me on this subject. Not content with the heartache and grief the family has had to go through a senior police office takes the opportunity of their grief to make a fast buck in the most callous of ways.

Pond life of the lowest order.

This for me sums up everything about this tragedy...

It shows plainly for all to see the sheer contempt that the Thai police and authorities hold us in, it is palpable and absolutely shocking..

There can never be any excuse for this treatment and I truly hope these bastards and the others like them burn in hell for it as it appears that is going to be the only justice in this ongoing travesty

The more publicity the better as face seems to be the only motivator for these scum, they certainly have no shame or morals...

The arm of the Koh Tai mafia is long enough to reach into UK?

Theoretically yes. It would not be that hard to contact a family member or friend - one of the many Thai residing in the U.K.

Question is why would they be doing that?

I don't see where she says she was threatened in the UK & not Thailand....

"What if I told you that I have been sent crime scene photographs? What if I told you that I have been chased in my car?"

Yes - my point - she does not mention where these things happened.

Archived