Importing A Pet Into Thailand

I am retiring in Chiang Mai Thailand, and I am bringing my little 10 pound dog with me. I have found my answer, after much research, the site Petmovers.com, they are expensive, but I feel they will be the safest choice to get my dog to Chiang Mai. They use KLM, and the flight stops in Amsterdam for a few hours, where he will eat and have some time to exercise out of his crate. They also take care of many of the paperwork details. I hope this is helpful to others that are worried and in need of some answers.

My question is to those of you that have small dogs already living in Chiang Mai, how is it especially while walking around the night bazars ? Are the open air restaurants tolerant of pet dogs? I am planning of getting a front faced pet carrier to avoid soi dogs. I would greatly appreciate any tips that you could share with me.

• Like 1

Is it possible to bring a dog across from Malaysia to Thailand via a land border. I am up with regulations and required paperwork for arriving into BKK by air as have done it in the recent past with my pooch but am looking at a new pup from Malaysia and wondering if anyone has recent experience or knowledge of a land crossing and what's involved? Many thanks for any advice.

• 2 months later...

I am planning on retiring in Phuket and will eventually apply for the retirement visa. In the meantime, I want to import my three dogs. Do I need to have the retirement visa to bring the dogs in, or can I do so on a regular 30-day visa? Many thanks, David

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend (a) an import agent in Thailand, and (B) a cattery that we can send kitty to on arrival? We want to ship our cat to Bangkok next month but won't be able to collect her at the airport or be in a position to take her home for a few weeks. A large international agency has quoted several thousand dollars for the service which feels quite expensive to me.

I wrote a post back in March 2012 about our rather fraught experience shipping her from Bangkok to Australia in 2011/2012. I just re-read that thread. I must be crazy!

Can anyone recommend (a) an import agent in Thailand, and (cool.png a cattery that we can send kitty to on arrival? We want to ship our cat to Bangkok next month but won't be able to collect her at the airport or be in a position to take her home for a few weeks. A large international agency has quoted several thousand dollars for the service which feels quite expensive to me.

I wrote a post back in March 2012 about our rather fraught experience shipping her from Bangkok to Australia in 2011/2012. I just re-read that thread. I must be crazy!

I can't advise re an Agent, but I have thoroughly researched all cat boarding options in Thailand and IMO the best one in the Bangkok area is this

http://www.joyucathotel.com/

https://th-th.facebook.com/JoYuCatHotel

She does pick ups, people play with each cat and the cats are let out of their cages at least twice a day. Have nice toys, climbing trees etc in the cages for them as well. Genuine cat lovers and a small-ish operation. She also will arrange web cam so you can check in on your beloved online..

Has anyone managed to get an import permit recently? I've emailed the 1/1 doc several times over the past 2 weeks and not had any response at all. I've also phoned a few times but never managed to speak to anyone... They kept hanging up. 27 days until we fly, so I have time but need to get it sorted!!

Depends on your definition of recently!

I got my import permit 4 months ago. They didn't respond to my emails either and I had to call them multiple times. I only got my import permit sent to me the Friday afternoon before (I flew the next Monday).

Which number are you calling? They have two numbers: +66 2 134 0731 and +66 2 134 0732. The last time I gave them a call was at the end of February.

Are you calling at the right times? They open late, eat a long lunch, and close early every day!

Many thanks for the swift response! I've been calling +662-501-3473 as none of the other numbers I had got me anywhere. After 7 attempts this morning I finally got through to someone who said to email [email protected] instead of [email protected] and [email protected]. They confirmed while I was on the phone that they received it and would forward it to the relevant people. Let's see if that works...

What email did you send yours to?

It's good to hear someone had success recently anyway!

• 11 months later...

Anyone have the latest link that I can copy the proper Thai government entry forms from, to bring our cat into Thailand by plane?

The URL provided by Nienke on page 10, still works.

http://aqi.dld.go.th/th/images/stories/document/form-movement/form-r1-1.pdf

attachicon.gifform-r1-1.pdf

Thanks. I noticed that link after reading a few pages of back comments. Now, I just hope things go smoothly all the way to and upon arrival in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the actual place in the airport that you collect your cat from? I'm trying to find a map or its location, but all I can see is somewhere over in the FreeTrade zone that opens at 8:30am, is that the correct place to collect my cat from?

I hesitate to answer as it has been a while since I arrived with my cat..... hopefully somebody will confirm, or correct if things have been moved around.

Arriving with pets as accompanied/excess baggage, we exited Immigration, turned left and walked straight to a large cargo bay with an elevator/lift down on the left side. There were airport staff there, they said wait and, about 10 minutes later, they brought our cat to us.

We then back tracked, past Immigration lane exits and kept on walking straight and found the Vet office down that way on the right. We got there about 7:30AM and it was open.

After clearing, which took about 20 minutes and 100 Baht, they directed us to the Red Channel Customs lane.

Was prepared to pay 1,000 Baht customs duty but they never asked, I didn't offer, and that was it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all we have 2  American bulldogs my thai wife and I will be retiring to Thailand in about 6 months will we have problems bringing our dogs because of their linage?they are our kids we cannot bear the thought of losing them!

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, BubbleBokkie said:

HI there

Possible newbie in Thailand. Do any of you know of pet friendly housing for at least a year in Samut Prakan area?

I have a small dog. Any help, advice or notes will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I should worry about that when you get here. Just choose a hotel and ask them if you can take your dog in, if not, they will advise you as to where you can go. Taxi drivers are also very good at this kind of thing.

After that you can start looking, there will be plenty of properties with a garden to rent.

On 25/09/2016 at 1:35 PM, Arjen said:

Here I go:

All with all it went quite easy.

I had all required documents prepared. Had the import permit received.

Immigration was unbelieveable fast. Beside the animal and plant quarantiane station is o loket for exces luggage. My dog came there much earlier then the regular luggage on the belt..

The paperwork wnet quite smooth, but took a while (I gueass about 15 minutes) They did not check the dog at al. They required 100 Baht, and I received a invoice for this. Then Customs. They required 1.000 Baht. Also here I received an invoice, so I guess this is all normal.

I staid in a hotel close to the airport who allows dogs on the room. When I took diner I wanted to sit outside because  brought the dog. The invited me inside. The dog (still a pup) spoiled his water bowl, this was no problem for the staff. Then he peed beside my table, I wanted to clean it myself, I had no change.....

All with all very easy process.

Thannks for the advices I found here!

Arjen.

Please let me know the name of the hotel you stayed at ...

I want to avoid it at all cost ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arjen said:

Just avoid all hotels what accept pets and you are good.

Actually Arjen, the more I see your pups face in that pic the more I like him ......    it's not that I don't enjoy dogs, it's just I don't think they are suited to entering restaurants, hotels and the likes,  dogs should be on the land with room to play not in a city or locked up in apartments.  Its just my opinion

I had a few dogs as a boy and loved them alot.

Your dog looks good and I am sure he's very playful.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hello everyone. i have a dog and her breed is mix/boxer and bulldog. i want to travel and bring ( import ) my dog to thailand but there is a problem. her face is like pitbull and it is ban to import pitbull to thailand. she is my best friend and i need your help to import her without any problem. i can pay 1000$ to anyone who had a connection at the airport to solve this problem. i love thailand also dogs, so help me my friends. this is my email if u want to send some info. [email protected]

in addition, her passport confirm that my dog is a mix boxer and bulldog and she has all health certificates. 

wish u the best

• 1 year later...

Moving back to Thailand after a couple years in the USA. I have 2 cats, both are 2 years old. I'm looking for the most thorough and up to date resource about what I need to do to bring them over. Also any experiences would be great. I'm very worried about taking them on such a long trip and I have no idea how the logistics work. How do they use the toilet while on a 12 hour flight, and then on another 4 hour flight after the connection? My cats hate car rides so I'm very nervous about something so major.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

My friend is planning to help me bring a 9-week old puppy from France to Bangkok, Thailand. I have a couple of questions that might have been replied to here but I want to be sure I have updated information.

1. Is there a minimum age requirement for bringing puppies as excess luggage?

2. Is there going to be a problem if my name is written on the Health Certificate and Vaccination book as the puppy owner but my friend is the one bringing the dog in?

3. The Department of Livestock development website says the dog either comes from a country free of rabies for 12 months or comes vaccinated against rabies. In reality, do they really allow dogs without rabies vaccination but from rabies-free countries to pass through?

Thanks ????

On 5/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, Tobi02k9 said:

1. Is there a minimum age requirement for bringing puppies as excess luggage?

I believe 6 months of age is generally required.

2. Is there going to be a problem if my name is written on the Health Certificate and Vaccination book as the puppy owner but my friend is the one bringing the dog in?

Nah

3. The Department of Livestock development website says the dog either comes from a country free of rabies for 12 months or comes vaccinated against rabies. In reality, do they really allow dogs without rabies vaccination but from rabies-free countries to pass through?

Afaik rabies is a required vaccination.

Thanks for the response, I just got an email from the Department of livestock department and i will share it here:

1. What is the minimum age for importing a puppy? 2 months 21 days from rabies free country or 3 months 21 days from the country is not free rabies.  

2. Is there a waiver on rabies vaccinations if the puppy is coming from a rabies-free country?

- The dog from rabies free country can be waived for rabies vaccination. Please see the requirement for import dog into Thailand in attach file.

3. Is it okay if my friend brings the puppy for me and my name is on the health certificate and vaccination record (pet passport)?

- In Pet Passport can be accepted
- Health certificate, The name on health certificate must be same the passenger who carry the dog.

Pet Passport is not health certificate for import your animal into Thailand. The pet passport is only used for pets travelling between Member States of the European Union. The health certificate is document sign and endorsement by veterinary officer of your country(country of origin). Please contact authorized veterinary official of your government for get  the health certificate. Our officer will keep original of health certificate and give you for a copy.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 1:59 AM, jmb1 said:

I brought my 2 dogs over from uk in 2007 paid £1500, arrived in thailand new airport i was met by my thai wife, we went to the animal office  was then told to go to a place opposite Luthuhansa goods warehouse, we were met by a bossman 2 other assistants.

In which they sat me and my thai wife at a table, bossman sat opposite us both and the 2 assistants standing at the door entrance.

Bossman proceeded to say to me (YOU LOVE YOUR DOGS YES) i looked at my wife ,i knew what was coming he said to my wife he wanted the equivalent of £800, yes i did write £800.   

Through my wife i proceeded to negotiate down WE ARRIVED AT     £300  .I thankfully had £2000 on me, god knows what would have happened to my dogs(babies) if i hadn't any cash on me.They brought my dogs out to us in my airline boxes, they were healthy tails wagging. We hired a toyota commuter van and driver and went to our home. Sadly both are dead now, they had good a good 10 years running around our land .

The lesson here is bring cash, lots of cash. Its not the money !! its because the first time in my life i was backed into a very uncomfortable place, i loved my dogs, they know people love their pets  very very wicked people.

Because nothing in the land of smilers is free.

I HOPE THEY DIE SCREAMING IN A CORNER ALONE .

And this is still happening right now.

I wish I could have found this thread before I flew my two dogs from Manila to Bangkok. Same thing happened to me. I felt that they took my dogs as hostage and I can't forgive these corrupt people.

THey asked me 22, 000 THB. I replied "I don't have money". I can only pay for the import fees which is 1000 THB and 3000 THB for customs. I kept saying these to them and I was there for 4 hours. Finally, they gave in and lowered the price for 9, 600. I asked for the receipt and guess what... they can only come up with the receipt worth 6, 000 THB - like I thought so! And my two dogs were out from a hot warehouse. If my two dogs died out of exhaustion and heat, I will have no doubt to shoot their peanut brains. 

Has anyone tried to report them? How come this was an ongoing scam?? A very long one indeed for such SCAM!! I took their photos and I'm planning to publicize everything!!

Edited by Jozel
add more texts