BANGKOK
gp6755

Importing A Pet Into Thailand

We have pretty much gotten all our ducks in a row now. I must admit finding a vet with the Leptospirosis vaccine was a bit of a challenge here in Alaska as they don't normally give that vaccine.

The one issue i haven't completely resolved yet is # 6 of the requirements for importation of dogs into Thailand.

6. The animals must have identity certificates signed in the country of origin by a registered veterinary surgeon and further endorsed by a veterinary authority describing the age, breed, sex, color and markings or other points of identification of the dogs or cats.

Anyone have any info on this? Do I need to hunt down a state vet to endorse the health certificate I received from my vet?

Edited by tuffy

We have pretty much gotten all our ducks in a row now. I must admit finding a vet with the Leptospirosis vaccine was a bit of a challenge here in Alaska as they don't normally give that vaccine.

The one issue i haven't completely resolved yet is # 6 of the requirements for importation of dogs into Thailand.

6. The animals must have identity certificates signed in the country of origin by a registered veterinary surgeon and further endorsed by a veterinary authority describing the age, breed, sex, color and markings or other points of identification of the dogs or cats.

Anyone have any info on this? Do I need to hunt down a state vet to endorse the health certificate I received from my vet?

my vet in hawaii [seeing them tomorrow] is fedexing papers with the info on it to the state vet and getting them to issue a certificate and fedexing it back to us just to be safe.

We have an appointment with the Federal vet next week just to be safe. I don't know that it will really matter BUTTTTTT.... i would hate to deal with the what ifs.

Thanks for the reply Jimmys

I don't know if any one has run into these problems bringing their dog to Thailand but I am running into brick walls everywhere.

Now I am told by eva and China air cargo that i need to obtain an import permit from Thailand before they will accept the dog. Can't find this permit anywhere. From what i have learned I need to get it from the Department of Livestock (DLD) in Thailand. They won't respond to my email and when i and even my Thai wife try to call them they just hang up? Typical gov office? :o

http://www.dld.go.th/webenglish/index.html#home

we are days away from leaving now and I can't seem to get my dog (poompuy) a ride.

We are flying out of Alaska and my last hope is Thai air will accept him and we can fly out of LA on the non stop. I am trying to find that out presently if they will take him or not.

Anyone have any suggestions of info it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Dear Tuffy,

Just saw your messge yesterday... I have consulted one of my American customers who has imported her dog about 2 years ago. Another has just send their dog back to the States.

There seems to be a company in the States (Florida) that is very knowledgeable and helpfull when it concerns sending animals from and back to the US. They are not cheap, she said, though.

Anyway, you can contact them thorugh their website:

www.airanimal.com or toll free (phone) 800 635 3448

I hope this will be of help to you and in time,

With friendly Greetings,

Nienke

Manager LuckyDogs Prt. Ltd.

I don't know if any one has run into these problems bringing their dog to Thailand but I am running into brick walls everywhere.

Now I am told by eva and China air cargo that i need to obtain an import permit from Thailand before they will accept the dog. Can't find this permit anywhere. From what i have learned I need to get it from the Department of Livestock (DLD) in Thailand. They won't respond to my email and when i and even my Thai wife try to call them they just hang up? Typical gov office? :o

http://www.dld.go.th/webenglish/index.html#home

we are days away from leaving now and I can't seem to get my dog (poompuy) a ride.

We are flying out of Alaska and my last hope is Thai air will accept him and we can fly out of LA on the non stop. I am trying to find that out presently if they will take him or not.

Anyone have any suggestions of info it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Ironically, once you get here you may well be able to just walk on through customs (many people do; some have even been told to when they asked); if not, the most that is likely to be asked of you by the animal quarantine officials is a rabies certificate and that you fill out a simple form.

At least, this has been my experience and that of others who have posted on this forum. The only trouble I( have heard of was one case where the people arrived in the middle of the night and there was no animal quarantine official on duty. Even that could probably have been avoided if they hadn’t tried to stop at the animal quarantine station in the first place. Personally I never do, I just walk on through with my pet, although I should add mine is a cat and obviously a lot smaller and less noticeable than a large dog. For your info, should you (or anyone else) opt to do this, the worst that can happen is a 10,000 (about $250) fine and acting like a dumb foreigner who didn’t know better would probably avoid that.

The import certificate is what the Thai animal quarantine officials will issue you. It is a very simple form giving the details of the pet and owner and stating that the vet has examined the animal and finds no sign of disease. In my experience, the “examination” is limited to taking its temperature (although no doubt there would be more involved if the animal looked ill). Anyhow since the whole point of the certificate is to attest to its health on arrival in Thailand by a Thai govt vet, it can’t be gotten in advance. The airlines don’t know what they are talking about. Thai airlines should know.

Thanks Sheryl!

We have a booking on Thai Air and there will be no problem with the import permit with them. China Air would be much more convenient for me coming from Alaska but they are still trying to sort out their issues with this import permit.

Well we made it through and are settling in and the dog is shedding like a cancer patient (sorry bad joke) but we are all getting settled.

Going through customs I decided to meet the bull at his horns and me my wife and 2 friendly porter types rolled on through with 12 boxes 4 carry ones and a partridge in a pear tree. Nothing was said when asked the wife told then both of us were moving back to Thailand; they scanned a few of the boxes on my cart and shut me down before i could send them all through and sent us on our merry way. On official did corner my wife and start asking a bunch of questions but when i showed up and started asking questions of my own he sent us on our way again.

The dog in cargo on the other hand is a entirely different story! 6 Hours later we walked out of there with our dog and 3 pounding headaches.

First we found the correct Cargo terminal (Thai air) and a help full fella got us started on the right track with getting the import permit taken car of and checking on the whereabouts of the dog. Everything was good until he took us to his office, slab of wood on top of a couple saw horses to do the customs forms. And low and behold there was going to be a $400 duty fee on this shipment. The old lady shut them down right there and we made another trip to the Thai air cargo office asked a few questions and an official TA guy came out and took over case. (for a fee of course). He got all it all sorted and we got the dog and he got a B 3K tip from us. The duty was about B 2000 including paying overtime.

So we got through it but it was not painless. I thought my old lady and the first shyster we going to get into a straight up fist fight!

But all if forgiven and we are in our new home.

Please let me know how to bring my pet to Thailand ? Does my dog need any document ? What is the official procedures ? Please let me know. Thanks.

How big is your dog? Ours is 100# and that caused us ALOT of extra problems (too big for baggage on most airlines overseas).

The first thing you need to do is find out the restrictions and requirements for the airline you will be taking to BKK for pets. Depending on the airline you may need to request space/ apply for paperwork 2 weeks prior. Some airlines only accept health certificate 10 days prior.

It will be a different scenario if you can ship the dog as baggage, from what i gathered that would be a lot easier than the process i went through.

Here are a couple sites that list all the requirements for Thailand.

http://www.thai-la.net/etc/dog.htm

http://moacdc.thaiembdc.org/animal.htm

Read through these old threads

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66023

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66466

The best and easiest way would be to hire a pet moving company to ship your pet for you.

Make sure you buy the shipping kennel way ahead of time and get your dog accustomed to spending time in it.

How big is your dog? Ours is 100# and that caused us ALOT of extra problems (too big for baggage on most airlines overseas).

The first thing you need to do is find out the restrictions and requirements for the airline you will be taking to BKK for pets. Depending on the airline you may need to request space/ apply for paperwork 2 weeks prior. Some airlines only accept health certificate 10 days prior.

It will be a different scenario if you can ship the dog as baggage, from what i gathered that would be a lot easier than the process i went through.

Here are a couple sites that list all the requirements for Thailand.

http://www.thai-la.net/etc/dog.htm

http://moacdc.thaiembdc.org/animal.htm

Read through these old threads

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66023

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66466

The best and easiest way would be to hire a pet moving company to ship your pet for you.

Make sure you buy the shipping kennel way ahead of time and get your dog accustomed to spending time in it.

hi,

I would like to add to this the threads on this subject:

'Import permit'

'Moving to Thailand with our dog' and

'Bringing pets to Thailand ... requirements?

Wishing you good luck and a wonderful time in Thailand,

Nienke

Please let me know how to bring my pet to Thailand ? Does my dog need any document ? What is the official procedures ? Please let me know. Thanks.

also interested in this topic, particulalry how to avoid quarantine ?

could anyone please inform about actual experiences on how it is best done ?

many thanks