Importing A Pet Into Thailand

Please let me know how to bring my pet to Thailand ? Does my dog need any document ? What is the official procedures ? Please let me know. Thanks.

also interested in this topic, particulalry how to avoid quarantine ?

could anyone please inform about actual experiences on how it is best done ?

many thanks

we had no problems or issues with it. Make sure that home quarantine is checked. We walked right out of cargo with our dog.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

We hope to find someone who can tell us - from own experiences - about bringing dogs from Europe to Thailand. We have to small dogs (very small - 3 kiloes and 5 kiloes) that we would love to bring with us 2 weeks to Thailand. They are so small that they are allowed to travel with us in the cabine of the aircraft. Does anyone have experience in bringing dogs from Europe? We are thinking about everything... how did your dog react on the flight - and did you get pills from your wet to calm him/her down during the flight? How did the dog react on the heat in Thailand? And how did it go on the streets - as we have heard there are many stray dogs in Thailand?

We have been to Thailand once, and saw some dogs - but only in certain areas. We are planning to go to either Krabi and Koh Lanta - or Koh Samet and Koh Chang (maybe also one place more on the mainland - for example Jomtien). Does anyone have experiences with that - and bringing dogs with them? Also... is it hard to find hotels that allow pets?

Thank you very much in advance :o

Greetings from Denmark,

Anthon & Janett.

If you search this forum you'll find quite a bit of info on bringing dogs into Thailand and frankly, for a two week visit, I think the hassle isn't worth it.

Also, there is the stress of the long flight here and then back as well as the trauma of adjusting to a new place and a new climate. Also, remember dogs are territorial and would be stressed being taken out of their territory.

Honestly, don't do it. If you love your dogs (and it sounds like you do, very much) leave them at home with a caretaker you trust. They'll be happier and healthier and it would probably be cheaper anyway.

If you search this forum you'll find quite a bit of info on bringing dogs into Thailand and frankly, for a two week visit, I think the hassle isn't worth it.

Also, there is the stress of the long flight here and then back as well as the trauma of adjusting to a new place and a new climate. Also, remember dogs are territorial and would be stressed being taken out of their territory.

Honestly, don't do it. If you love your dogs (and it sounds like you do, very much) leave them at home with a caretaker you trust. They'll be happier and healthier and it would probably be cheaper anyway.

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for telling me about info on this forum. The truth is, that

we are new users and haven´t really found out yet about this place. But I´ve looked just for a bit, and can see there is quite a lot of info. However we would still very much hear from someone who has tried it themselfes.

You see... our vet (and I have asked more than one) said it shouldn´t be a problem with the trip for the dogs - honestly nobody have mentioned stress. Probably because they are going to get pills to calm them down (so that they will sleep during most of the trip - they love travelling, for example by car... they just go to sleep as soon as the car starts - they love it!) Also from what I´ve checked is that it shouldn´t be hassle at all. They can come with us in the cabin in a special bag and they can stay there during the flight. It doesn´t hardly cost anything extra so... right now - for now anyway - it doesn´t sound like hassle.

What I really would love to hear is someone who has seen how their dog or dogs react. I am very glad that you take the time to answer this question and let us hear your opinion. Thank you for that. Still I would very very very very much hear from someone who has tried it. I still hope more will look at this and answer.

And yes, we love our dogs. We cannot have children, so they are really honestly our kids... and therefore we´d love to bring them with us. I honestly don´t think we´ll go if they cannot come with us. That is why I´d like to hear peoples experiences - someone who has tried it themselves, or know someone who has tried it.

Thank you again :o

Have you checked out whether your dogs will have to go into quarantine on arrival back in Denmark? :o

Rabies is prevalent in Thailand.

Very relevant question! I will check that up straight away. Actually I will call while writing this... Our dogs have had the vaccines regarding rabies, but maybe that isn´t enough? I´ll ask... because ofcourse that is important.

Back, just called. There shouldn´t be any problems, as the dogs have the vaccine, BUT... to be completely sure and not risk quarentine when going back, I am supposed to have a bloodtest done of the dogs and bring that with me too. So very good point... thank you for asking :D

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for telling me about info on this forum. The truth is, that

we are new users and haven´t really found out yet about this place. But I´ve looked just for a bit, and can see there is quite a lot of info. However we would still very much hear from someone who has tried it themselfes.

I hope you are not going to give them something to make them sleep. Sedatives suppress the respiratory system of the dog and aircraft are pressurised at between two thirds and three quarters of normal atmospheric pressure, this lowers the blood pressure of both humans and animals. Sedatives generally work by lowering blood pressure so the combined effect could be detrimental to the well being of your pet. It can also cause disorientation. Several airlines will not

accept your pet if they are sedated :o

You see... our vet (and I have asked more than one) said it shouldn´t be a problem with the trip for the dogs - honestly nobody have mentioned stress. Probably because they are going to get pills to calm them down (so that they will sleep during most of the trip - they love travelling, for example by car... they just go to sleep as soon as the car starts - they love it!) Also from what I´ve checked is that it shouldn´t be hassle at all. They can come with us in the cabin in a special bag and they can stay there during the flight. It doesn´t hardly cost anything extra so... right now - for now anyway - it doesn´t sound like hassle.

What I really would love to hear is someone who has seen how their dog or dogs react. I am very glad that you take the time to answer this question and let us hear your opinion. Thank you for that. Still I would very very very very much hear from someone who has tried it. I still hope more will look at this and answer.

And yes, we love our dogs. We cannot have children, so they are really honestly our kids... and therefore we´d love to bring them with us. I honestly don´t think we´ll go if they cannot come with us. That is why I´d like to hear peoples experiences - someone who has tried it themselves, or know someone who has tried it.

Thank you again :D

Hello,

We hope to find someone who can tell us - from own experiences - about bringing dogs from Europe to Thailand. We have to small dogs (very small - 3 kiloes and 5 kiloes) that we would love to bring with us 2 weeks to Thailand. They are so small that they are allowed to travel with us in the cabine of the aircraft. Does anyone have experience in bringing dogs from Europe? We are thinking about everything... how did your dog react on the flight - and did you get pills from your wet to calm him/her down during the flight? How did the dog react on the heat in Thailand? And how did it go on the streets - as we have heard there are many stray dogs in Thailand?

We have been to Thailand once, and saw some dogs - but only in certain areas. We are planning to go to either Krabi and Koh Lanta - or Koh Samet and Koh Chang (maybe also one place more on the mainland - for example Jomtien). Does anyone have experiences with that - and bringing dogs with them? Also... is it hard to find hotels that allow pets?

Greetings from Denmark,

Anthon & Janett.

SBK is right. It would certainly be a highly stressful experience for the dogs

You are looking at a minimum of 12 -14 hours of confinement in an aircraft each way, not to mention all of the check in times. You should check very carefully that they will be allowed in the cabin. Normally, to travel with you they have to be in the hold as excess baggage. I brought over both of my English Bull terriers from England on TG two tears ago. I reluctantly brought my older Bully as she could not be left behind. Despite having been fully checked by our own vet and the agents vet as OK to travel she went into shock two days after arrival. The vet here in Samui was excellent and was with her all through the night but she did not come round.

If you still intend to go ahead, do not use sedatives. Normal cabin and hold pressure is around 6000 -7000ft pressure altitude which combined with sedatives can have a detrimental affect on the dog.

You will need to think about special inoculations for diseases here such as heartworm. Ticks are a severe problem and if you walk on the beach with your dogs they will probably be attacked by the local beach dogs.

If you are not coming here to live it would seem best to leave them behind.

Hello,

Greetings from Denmark,

Anthon & Janett.

You are looking at a minimum of 12 -14 hours of confinement in an aircraft each way, not to mention all of the check in times. You should check very carefully that they will be allowed in the cabin. Normally, to travel with you they have to be in the hold as excess baggage. I brought over both of my English Bull terriers from England on TG two tears ago. I reluctantly brought my older Bully as she could not be left behind. Despite having been fully checked by our own vet and the agents vet as OK to travel she went into shock two days after arrival. The vet here in Samui was excellent and was with her all through the night but she did not come round.

If you still intend to go ahead, do not use sedatives. Normal cabin and hold pressure is around 6000 -7000ft pressure altitude which combined with sedatives can have a detrimental affect on the dog.

You will need to think about special inoculations for diseases here such as heartworm. Ticks are a severe problem and if you walk on the beach with your dogs they will probably be attacked by the local beach dogs.

Hi,

Although I can understand that you very much would like your dogs to join you on your holiday, I can only add my name to the list of people who advice against bringing your dogs for such a short period of time. Many strong points are made already.

I have helped several dog owners with sending their dog abroad and received some at the kennel after their arrival in Chiang Mai. All dog owners were living here or came to live here, none of them were tourists.

Although I cheer the fact that these owners love their dogs (animals) so much that they take them with them when they move country, but it hurts everytime when I see the fear and confusion in the eyes of the animals when they go or come.

I just had two cats and one dog in boarding for a week. It took a few days for the dog and one cat to relax, the second cat was still fearfull when the owners came to collect them.

With another dog, a boxer, it took at least a week.

Almost everything is strange to the dogs, climate, smells of environment and people, except for the unmistakeable language of dogs: Get out of my territory right now! Streets dogs are everywhere here, making it difficult to have your dogs run free.

Further, the humidity is almost killing (in the rainy season), even for those who live for years in this climate. Can you imagine when the animals aren't acclimitized to the ehat and humidity? It took me 4 hours of grooming in order to get the undercoat out of the abovementioned dog, plus that I sprayed him wet in order to cool him down. He was really suffering!

Very high risk on tick disease and there are several versions of tick disease. If you miss the acute stage (which is so easily missed with its hugely vague symptoms), it goes over in the chronic stage, which is incurable.

well, etc. etc. See the other strong comments

If it's only for two weeks, I really would reconsider ...

Hi

Has anyone had experience in bringing a large dog to Chiang Mai. I have a German Shepherd who is to large for the IATA pet carriers which are on the market, so I am going to have one made. The problem is that his carrier will be too large for Thai Airways to transport from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on a AB6. We are ok on the UK - Bangkok leg. They have height and width restrictions. I have sent emails to 6 other airlines who fly the route but have had no answer as yet. :o

Hi

Has anyone had experience in bringing a large dog to Chiang Mai. I have a German Shepherd who is to large for the IATA pet carriers which are on the market, so I am going to have one made. The problem is that his carrier will be too large for Thai Airways to transport from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on a AB6. We are ok on the UK - Bangkok leg. They have height and width restrictions. I have sent emails to 6 other airlines who fly the route but have had no answer as yet. :o

The carrier may be too big for an Airbus but I don't know, I wouldn't have thought so. Probably too big for a B737. I think that TG still operate a B747 once or twice a day to C.Mai there wouldn't be a problem with the size on this type of Aircraft.

Hello,

Greetings from Denmark,

Anthon & Janett.

Hi,

Although I can understand that you very much would like your dogs to join you on your holiday, I can only add my name to the list of people who advice against bringing your dogs for such a short period of time. Many strong points are made already.

I have helped several dog owners with sending their dog abroad and received some at the kennel after their arrival in Chiang Mai. All dog owners were living here or came to live here, none of them were tourists.

Although I cheer the fact that these owners love their dogs (animals) so much that they take them with them when they move country, but it hurts everytime when I see the fear and confusion in the eyes of the animals when they go or come.

I just had two cats and one dog in boarding for a week. It took a few days for the dog and one cat to relax, the second cat was still fearfull when the owners came to collect them.

With another dog, a boxer, it took at least a week.

Almost everything is strange to the dogs, climate, smells of environment and people, except for the unmistakeable language of dogs: Get out of my territory right now! Streets dogs are everywhere here, making it difficult to have your dogs run free.

Further, the humidity is almost killing (in the rainy season), even for those who live for years in this climate. Can you imagine when the animals aren't acclimitized to the ehat and humidity? It took me 4 hours of grooming in order to get the undercoat out of the abovementioned dog, plus that I sprayed him wet in order to cool him down. He was really suffering!

Very high risk on tick disease and there are several versions of tick disease. If you miss the acute stage (which is so easily missed with its hugely vague symptoms), it goes over in the chronic stage, which is incurable.

well, etc. etc. See the other strong comments

If it's only for two weeks, I really would reconsider ...

I actually don´t think we will be going to Thailand then. Or rather - we won´t be. If the dogs cannot come along, we will have to consider another/other countries. Thank you all for your help :D

Why don't you consider someplace a little closer to home then? Any other destination that is a 10 hour flight away will be just as stressful for your dogs as thailand would be.

Hi

I have spoken to Thai Airways and apparantly they use AB6 on the route. His carrier would be to large to go through the cargo door something to do with the cross section? Ah well back to the drawing board :o

Might be worth checking with Bangkok Airways. They operate BKK to C. Mai and they may still be using the ATR 72 (prop) on this route.

The forward part of the cabin is for baggage and cargo as there is no hold. It has a large cargo door which might allow your container to fit.

Hi

I have spoken to Thai Airways and apparantly they use AB6 on the route. His carrier would be to large to go through the cargo door something to do with the cross section? Ah well back to the drawing board :D

Might be worth checking with Bangkok Airways. They operate BKK to C. Mai and they may still be using the ATR 72 (prop) on this route.

The forward part of the cabin is for baggage and cargo as there is no hold. It has a large cargo door which might allow your container to fit.

Hi

Thanks I will get in touch with them. It would seem that Thai Airways keep changing the rules. I know a women who has moved to Chiang Mai 3 weeks ago from the USA and her dog carrier was at least 10 in over the restricted height. They have told me the only place that they can fly him out of Bangkok to is Phuket :o

Why don't you consider someplace a little closer to home then? Any other destination that is a 10 hour flight away will be just as stressful for your dogs as thailand would be.

Hi, I thought that was obvious from our last post, but maybe not. As it won´t be Thailand, then ofcourse we will go to somewhere closer to our home. We live in Denmark and have actually lots of beautiful countries more or less close by - Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Malta etc. etc. so it won´t be a problem. But we had fallen in love with Thailand - pitty :o

Hi, I thought that was obvious from our last post, but maybe not. As it won´t be Thailand, then ofcourse we will go to somewhere closer to our home. We live in Denmark and have actually lots of beautiful countries more or less close by - Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Malta etc. etc. so it won´t be a problem. But we had fallen in love with Thailand - pitty :D

A good , sane , decision. :o

The first thing you need to do is find out the restrictions and requirements for the airline you will be taking to BKK for pets. Depending on the airline you may need to request space/ apply for paperwork 2 weeks prior. Some airlines only accept health certificate 10 days prior.

Tuffy, were you saying that some airlines only accept health certificates that were obtained within the 10 days prior to the scheduled flight date? Thai Airways?

Also, was it really necessary to get an endorsement from a government veterinarian authority on the health certificate signed by your pet's vet or did it even matter once you reached Bangkok?

How big is your dog? Ours is 100# and that caused us ALOT of extra problems (too big for baggage on most airlines overseas).

The first thing you need to do is find out the restrictions and requirements for the airline you will be taking to BKK for pets. Depending on the airline you may need to request space/ apply for paperwork 2 weeks prior. Some airlines only accept health certificate 10 days prior.

It will be a different scenario if you can ship the dog as baggage, from what i gathered that would be a lot easier than the process i went through.

Here are a couple sites that list all the requirements for Thailand.

http://www.thai-la.net/etc/dog.htm

http://moacdc.thaiembdc.org/animal.htm

Read through these old threads

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66023

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66466

The best and easiest way would be to hire a pet moving company to ship your pet for you.

Make sure you buy the shipping kennel way ahead of time and get your dog accustomed to spending time in it.

hi,

I would like to add to this the threads on this subject:

'Import permit'

'Moving to Thailand with our dog' and

'Bringing pets to Thailand ... requirements?

Wishing you good luck and a wonderful time in Thailand,

Nienke

If you check the previous posts as identified by Nienke it should give you most of the info you will need.

As suggested, use a specialist pet shipping company who will do everything including the paperwork and build special travel kennels if you wish.

If you want your dog to travel with you book as excess baggage, he will travel in hold and appear with the baggage at destination. It is expensive, about 30UKL a Kilo incl container. No Quarantine necessary and much easier than going to the Cargo terminal. If you decide to book as excess baggage you will need to book with the airline well in advance. At the time I booked with TG only

2 animals were allowed per flight in the baggage hold. You must confirm that they are booked on the same flight!

Good Luck

Tuffy, a belated congrats on getting your pooch into Thailand and persevering through all of the hassles with the airlines and gov't officials. By now, ol' 100+ lb Shep has probably already started earning his kibble & bits by causing the local kamoys to give your place a wide berth. :D

Sheryl, after reading through several threads it looks like you have already experienced what we are facing when we bring our cat with us in the near future to retire in Thailand with us. Information given by everyone has been very helpful, btw. I'm a little unclear on one issue, however. I have the rabies certificate in hand but what about the health certificate? Is this an extraneous document or is it actually required by the airline (Thai Airways) or the Thai customs/animal quarantine officials? Do they even ask for it? If required, how many days before the departure date does this health certificate have to be signed by the gov't veterinarian?

We also have a Sherpa pet carrier and plan on bringing our cat on board the plane with us. On our last trip to Bangkok in April, I watched a lady with her cat in a similar type of carry-on bag breeze past a group of customs guys who were busy yakking to each other so I may try to do the same. Just want to be prepared for all possible roadblocks. :o

I would say the health certificate is a must, and it depends on the airline on how old it can be. I think the Thai gov. requires 30days, but you can check that on their web site. Getting it certified is up to you but when you arrive is it worth risking that they won't accept it either here or at a layover point along your flight? I have heard horror stories of pets being stuck in quarantine indefinitely in the LA airport of these kind of issues. Good luck!

Sherpa bag and breeze on through is exactly what I always do.

In terms of what you'll need to get the cat onto the aircraft, and how up to date it has to be, check with the airlines as it varies by airline and country.

If you choose to declare your cat on I arrival I think all you'll need for that is the immunization record but very likely you'll need a health certificate to get the cat on the plane with you in the first place which is the larger issue since you can probably skip declaring the cat when you arrive.

I know that when I fly back from Cambodia to Thailand on TG they require a health certificate issued within the past 5 days, as well as up to date proof of rabies vaccine, but don't know about other points of departure. In Cambodia, signed by any vet is OK but leaving Thailand to Cambodia, it has to be an export license signed by a giovt vet from the Animal Quarantine Station.

Suggest you call the airport office of whatever airline you plan to fly on (airport office usually more knowledgable than the reservation/ticketing offcies)

Good luck

Tuffy, a belated congrats on getting your pooch into Thailand and persevering through all of the hassles with the airlines and gov't officials. By now, ol' 100+ lb Shep has probably already started earning his kibble & bits by causing the local kamoys to give your place a wide berth. :D

Sheryl, after reading through several threads it looks like you have already experienced what we are facing when we bring our cat with us in the near future to retire in Thailand with us. Information given by everyone has been very helpful, btw. I'm a little unclear on one issue, however. I have the rabies certificate in hand but what about the health certificate? Is this an extraneous document or is it actually required by the airline (Thai Airways) or the Thai customs/animal quarantine officials? Do they even ask for it? If required, how many days before the departure date does this health certificate have to be signed by the gov't veterinarian?

We also have a Sherpa pet carrier and plan on bringing our cat on board the plane with us. On our last trip to Bangkok in April, I watched a lady with her cat in a similar type of carry-on bag breeze past a group of customs guys who were busy yakking to each other so I may try to do the same. Just want to be prepared for all possible roadblocks. :o

Hi

Maybe there is another way than airplain? Bus, Train?

But the thais don't like big dogs very much.....

I know an aircon minivan service which is not expensive, that might be also more convenice for your Nazi dog (sorry for that joke, I like german shepherds).

Thanks Sheryl!

We have a booking on Thai Air and there will be no problem with the import permit with them. China Air would be much more convenient for me coming from Alaska but they are still trying to sort out their issues with this import permit.

You shouldn't have any problems at all. Have some papers to hand the animal control guy when you arrive. Have 150 baht ready to habd the vet, and you're off. I can't believe all the trouble I went to(and unbelievable expense) in the states to get my dog here, over $1,000 including plane, only to find no one here reallty is all that concerned about it.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I have a dog that I want to bring to Thailand with me next month and was wondering if any of you knew what the process was. I've been reading through this forum and see that there are a lot of you who have dogs that don't seem like they're from Thailand. I've read that I had to get some type of health certificate over here in the US, and also some type of entry document from Thailand...? If anyone has some info to help me out or a link that'll explain what needs to be done, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks everyone! :o

krazyboi, I am afraid that the search function is not working right now but if you scroll through the pages in this section you will find several threads that detail this process

yea, i tried searching for it and it didn't seem like it was working...but i'll try again later...thanks!

by the way, what should i try searching? i tried searching for "importing pets"

thanks again!

I don't know when the search function will return, I think its been disabled due to the high use of the forum.

But, if you just go back through a couple of pages you are sure to find some information, there have been quite a few threads about exactly this.

Just curious, were you planning on moving your dog here or just coming to visit?