Importing A Pet Into Thailand

Hi, Im interested to know if a 5mth old kitten would be able to travel with me on board a plane from Sg to Bkk? I intend to bring him back with me here but unsure if its safe? He doesn't like to be caged up too and would feel more secure if he was sitting on my lap or being cuddled whenever we go out in a cab . Would the airline eg TG or SIA allow the pets to be out of their cage?

Appreciate any advice.

Hi, Im interested to know if a 5mth old kitten would be able to travel with me on board a plane from Sg to Bkk? I intend to bring him back with me here but unsure if its safe? He doesn't like to be caged up too and would feel more secure if he was sitting on my lap or being cuddled whenever we go out in a cab . Would the airline eg TG or SIA allow the pets to be out of their cage?

Appreciate any advice.

No, you will never be able to take a pet (cat/dog/whatever) out of it's carrier in the cabin of the plane, no matter what airline. I have however seen people put the carrier on their lap (after seat belt signs turn off), and put their hand inside the carrier to pet or calm the animal, but again, the animal can never be taken out.

Edited by Yumiko

Appreciate any advice.

No, you will never be able to take a pet (cat/dog/whatever) out of it's carrier in the cabin of the plane, no matter what airline. I have however seen people put the carrier on their lap (after seat belt signs turn off), and put their hand inside the carrier to pet or calm the animal, but again, the animal can never be taken out.

Thank you for the advice. Would anyone be able to advise me if its ok to carry the cat in my arms w/ a leash on when I picked up the luggage and ready to walk out of the departure gate?

Thank you for the advice. Would anyone be able to advise me if its ok to carry the cat in my arms w/ a leash on when I picked up the luggage and ready to walk out of the departure gate?

I don't know if there are specific rules about this at the BKK airport, but I think it should be no problem to carry your kitty around with a leash. I brought my cat and large dog through the BKK airport with no problem, my cat stayed in his carrier (he was more comfortable in there with the hussle and bussle), but my 70lb. dog walked on the leash throughout the baggage claim area to the quarantine office and then outside, and I got nothing but giggles and big smiles from the airport personnel. I think you should have no problems! :o

Edited by Yumiko

Is this comment based on personal experience or opinion?

Thanks

Ok our new pup has finally arrived.  We had it flown in from Italy. Steps we took were as follows:

Downloaded the form r_r1 which is some sort of import permit.  Wife had to go back and forth to a few offices but this got done.

Next we called up Thai Air to book cargo space as they were the only int'l airline that flew into Phuket. We were then told that no way they can ship the pup unless someone flies with it.  I had the breeder in Italy check with Thai air also and they told him  the same thing.  I wanted to do it this way to aviod the steep fee that the shipping agent in Italy charged.  It was 4 times more than what cargo freight would have been.

During this time I was told that we had to employ an agent to handle things even though we had our permit etc.

So we bit the bullet and paid for the agent in Italy to arrange shipping. We were then told by them that they could only get the pup down to Bangkok as all planes from Bangkok to Phuket weren't pressurized.  I found that hard to believe but at this point what could we do. We then called our agent and they arranged with another agent to get the pup from Bangkok to Phuket.  

Pup finally arrived after being in transit for about 40 hours with 9 hours of ground time in BKK. We ended up paying about 13,000 total to the agents, customs and whoever else had their hand in on the deal from arrival in BKK to Phuket. Lufthansa was the airline that ended up bringing the pup down.

post-46196-1218095347_thumb.jpg

Is this comment based on personal experience or opinion?

Thanks

good question wxpwzrd.

i have flown a dozen times with my small dog in cabin to and from 3 continents. not once has my pet remained in her carry-on. after take-off, she was on my lap all the time. stewardesses were most kind, offering water or simply petting my dog. one even asked if she could take my dog for a walk and proceeded down the aisle holding the dog in her arms.

no need to be anal retentive about the "in the carrier" rule. flight attendants are human too.

of course, it helps when you have the most darling well behaved traveling companion. :o

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

Just to keep up the thread on importing a pet from Australia: I just added my dog's "ordeal".

The vaccinations schedules and exams went uneventfully in Queensland. But the requirement tht the dog travels as cargo by the Australian government turned the trip in an unfair ordeal for the poor dog sitting in a cage. So here is how it went:

First the flight from Brisbane was delayed by 45 minutes because of some volcano eruptingsomwhere along our route: the flight had to change path 3 times during the night to avoid getting into the volcano ashes so we arrived at 7 am instead of 6am . It took me 6 hours to clear her from customs because Australia insists in the animals to come as cargo. If she would have been considered as excess luggage like for travel within Australia she would have come out in Bangkok just next to the baggage carrousel and the veterinary inspection is right next to this too.That is what all the other countries do… BUT!!!As I waited at these counters and was sent back and forth for 45 minutes after I had collected my luggage. I decided to preempt the arrival of the dog and walked into the veterinary office.The veterinarian in attendance started to fill the import papers and charged me 100 baht for the import permit. But then he sent me to Thai cargo: he wanted to see the official documents not copies ( at that point he told me that there would be a change in staff in the next hour. He left the contact numbers for his co workers on the desk for me, goo service there).The requested documents were onto her cage somewhere in the cargo departments……try to fid exactly where this is?Amongst all the buildings on the right hand side as you approach the airport. My partner was waiting for me outside the terminal. So our first trip is to get the documents from Thai cargo: then back to the passenger terminal: the vet had gone home and so I called the other doctor on duty…..another 30 minutes goes by. So the next veterinarian sees all the documents and then gives me the original back : he did not need to see the dog: he asked what kind it is: whippet is not on te list on the wall: only a greyhound on their chart. I then finish this paperwork , again great service there. Back to cargo: then we have to clear customs and pay import duties: ….another building and free lance customs clearance people wanting to get involved for a fee!!: more driving around: finally find someone to process the documents: 4 different people to see: again: what is a whippet???? The officer decides the dog is worth 10,000 baht , seemed to be based on do'g size? : so charges me 3000 baht import duty: ….but you can’t give this person the money….onto another building: there we have to pay another 500 baht for overtime. A customs agent fills more and more copies of documents with more passport photocopies .This process is amongst all the customs people and it looks more like the floor of the NY stock exchange…as they are al vying ofr the clerk's attention.time goes by: it is now 5 hours since I have landed and I am getting nervous aout the dog's conditon : my partner says meditate!! So we get some more receipts of the money paid….back to where the dog is supposed to be: up to the 2nd floor: more paperwork….then downstairs: finally someone can sign her off it is now 18 hours since I surrendered her in Brisbane: she finally appears on a fork lift: there is water in her drinking bowls: I breathe again: I cut the wires to open the cage: she just walked out and said hello to everyone. I jump down to the car: pick her up and put her down: first thing she does….like everyone landing in Bangkok at old Don Muang airport ….smells the sewer…. So we left for home. She is sleeping in the car on the way back.

Another point to make; luckily I had purchased a cage larger than she needed. My reasoning was that she would use it later on as she grew. But the freight is charged not only on a kg basis but also on cubic metering. So her flight was almost as much as mine $570Au....the cage and the dog came in at 14kg.

So if you don;t mind doing some running around....with a thai speaker ( imperative). Be ready for a bit of an ordeal.

P.S. The puppy is quite happy in her new house. Now all I have to do is teach her a few commands in Thai language.

omg what an experience, i am due into Bangkok with my dog next Thursday..i pray to god my experience is alot better than yours! previously i had only read of easy and quick experiences through customers but yours sounded like a real nightmare.

Well done for getting you and your dog through it all though, never heard of that 3,000 baht import duty though..!!!!

ALREADY VERY SURPRISED reading all the good enterings to Thailand, i finaly found someone with similar expierience as me, when i arrive customs with my dogs (in 2006) i had to pay 30.000 bath tax !! or they wouldn't go out of the airport,

guiding guy outside customs cargo, that arrange all the papers for me and proofed by showing the taxrate in the book, got offical papers and stamps. Bringing my 2 dogs from Germany to Phuket costs me over 100.000 Bath , and i had realy the cheapast airtransport ticket for them i could find anywhere (mahanair) if i took them by KLM or air france or lufthans

Hi all,

Just to keep up the thread on importing a pet from Australia: I just added my dog's "ordeal".

The vaccinations schedules and exams went uneventfully in Queensland. But the requirement tht the dog travels as cargo by the Australian government turned the trip in an unfair ordeal for the poor dog sitting in a cage. So here is how it went:

First the flight from Brisbane was delayed by 45 minutes because of some volcano eruptingsomwhere along our route: the flight had to change path 3 times during the night to avoid getting into the volcano ashes so we arrived at 7 am instead of 6am . It took me 6 hours to clear her from customs because Australia insists in the animals to come as cargo. If she would have been considered as excess luggage like for travel within Australia she would have come out in Bangkok just next to the baggage carrousel and the veterinary inspection is right next to this too.That is what all the other countries do… BUT!!!As I waited at these counters and was sent back and forth for 45 minutes after I had collected my luggage. I decided to preempt the arrival of the dog and walked into the veterinary office.The veterinarian in attendance started to fill the import papers and charged me 100 baht for the import permit. But then he sent me to Thai cargo: he wanted to see the official documents not copies ( at that point he told me that there would be a change in staff in the next hour. He left the contact numbers for his co workers on the desk for me, goo service there).The requested documents were onto her cage somewhere in the cargo departments……try to fid exactly where this is?Amongst all the buildings on the right hand side as you approach the airport. My partner was waiting for me outside the terminal. So our first trip is to get the documents from Thai cargo: then back to the passenger terminal: the vet had gone home and so I called the other doctor on duty…..another 30 minutes goes by. So the next veterinarian sees all the documents and then gives me the original back : he did not need to see the dog: he asked what kind it is: whippet is not on te list on the wall: only a greyhound on their chart. I then finish this paperwork , again great service there. Back to cargo: then we have to clear customs and pay import duties: ….another building and free lance customs clearance people wanting to get involved for a fee!!: more driving around: finally find someone to process the documents: 4 different people to see: again: what is a whippet???? The officer decides the dog is worth 10,000 baht , seemed to be based on do'g size? : so charges me 3000 baht import duty: ….but you can’t give this person the money….onto another building: there we have to pay another 500 baht for overtime. A customs agent fills more and more copies of documents with more passport photocopies .This process is amongst all the customs people and it looks more like the floor of the NY stock exchange…as they are al vying ofr the clerk's attention.time goes by: it is now 5 hours since I have landed and I am getting nervous aout the dog's conditon : my partner says meditate!! So we get some more receipts of the money paid….back to where the dog is supposed to be: up to the 2nd floor: more paperwork….then downstairs: finally someone can sign her off it is now 18 hours since I surrendered her in Brisbane: she finally appears on a fork lift: there is water in her drinking bowls: I breathe again: I cut the wires to open the cage: she just walked out and said hello to everyone. I jump down to the car: pick her up and put her down: first thing she does….like everyone landing in Bangkok at old Don Muang airport ….smells the sewer…. So we left for home. She is sleeping in the car on the way back.

Another point to make; luckily I had purchased a cage larger than she needed. My reasoning was that she would use it later on as she grew. But the freight is charged not only on a kg basis but also on cubic metering. So her flight was almost as much as mine $570Au....the cage and the dog came in at 14kg.

So if you don;t mind doing some running around....with a thai speaker ( imperative). Be ready for a bit of an ordeal.

P.S. The puppy is quite happy in her new house. Now all I have to do is teach her a few commands in Thai language.

omg what an experience, i am due into Bangkok with my dog next Thursday..i pray to god my experience is alot better than yours! previously i had only read of easy and quick experiences through customers but yours sounded like a real nightmare.

Well done for getting you and your dog through it all though, never heard of that 3,000 baht import duty though..!!!!

ALREADY VERY SURPRISED i readed al the problemless treats bringing dog into Thailand, finaly found one with the same expierence. when my dogs passed customs in bkk (in 2006) i had to pay 30.000 bath importtax ! or they would not leave the airplane. as my flight to phuket was ready to go i had to pay. it was a guide outside the taxoffice who arranged everything for me, he showed the book wich explaned the taxrate, and i got the official documents with stamps. Total cost to bring my 2 dogs from germany to Phuket was over 100.000 B and i realy found the cheapest way to transport them (mahanair) if i would carried them by KLM or lufthansa or airfrance it would have cost me 250.000 B !

was i cheated by the guy outside ? or just bad luck ?

Chris

• 5 weeks later...
ALREADY VERY SURPRISED i readed al the problemless treats bringing dog into Thailand, finaly found one with the same expierence. when my dogs passed customs in bkk (in 2006) i had to pay 30.000 bath importtax ! or they would not leave the airplane. as my flight to phuket was ready to go i had to pay. it was a guide outside the taxoffice who arranged everything for me, he showed the book wich explaned the taxrate, and i got the official documents with stamps. Total cost to bring my 2 dogs from germany to Phuket was over 100.000 B and i realy found the cheapest way to transport them (mahanair) if i would carried them by KLM or lufthansa or airfrance it would have cost me 250.000 B !

was i cheated by the guy outside ? or just bad luck ?

Chris

I think that's a slight form of insanity. Paying $3000 to import your dogs! Or maybe you're just rich :o That's an astonishing amount.....

Edited by damian5000

• 2 weeks later...

Sawadee Ka Everyone!

I'm moving to Thailand with my two Yorkies in a couple of weeks and have a few questions that I thought I'd pose to all of you... Would you kindly review the information below and advise whether it is correct or incorrect?

Thailand Dog Import Permit Requirements for receiving a Permit prior to travel by emailing ([email protected], [email protected]):

1. Copy of Passport or Identification of owner

2. Address in exporting country and Address in Thailand

3. E-mail address

4. Details of your pet (ex. kind, breed, number, age and sex) and copy of vaccination book of your pet

5. Detail of arrival date, airline and flight no.

Does anyone have a copy of Form No 1/1? (The importer should personally submit an application request (Form No 1/1) to import live animals into the country to an AQS veterinary official, at least 15 days prior to an importation in order to receive an Import Permit.)

Thailand Dog Import Requirements:

1. The country must be free from Rabies for at least 3 years.

2. The animals must be vaccinated with approved Rabies vaccines for at least 15 days prior to the departure.

3. The animals must be vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21 days preceding departure.

4. The animals must be healthy and free from any sign of infectious or contagious disease at the time of export.

5. The animals must had been resident in the country not less than 6 months preceding the date of export.

6. The animals must have identity certificates signed in the country of origin by a registered veterinary surgeon and further endorsed by a veterinary authority describing the age, breed, sex, color and markings or other points of identification of the dogs or cats.

7. The health certificate certify all as stated 1 - 6 issued by the authorized veterinary officer of the country of origin must accompany the animals on arrival.

~Department of Livestock Development, Phya Thai Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Thailand Dog Import Documentation:

1. International Health Certificate (Who must notarize this certificate?)

2. Rabies Certificate

3. Leptospirosis Vaccination

4. DHPP Vaccination

(5.) Microchip Number (required in Phuket)

(6.) Import Certificate (if received prior to travel)

Finally, please confirm that the following fees will be issued/levied when I arrive at the Phuket airport?

-Import certificate (if not received prior to travel)

-Authorization to do the quarantine at home

-100THB import fee for each dog (The importer must pay an import fee as prescribed by the Ministerial Regulation, which was issued in accordance with the Animal Epidemics Act B.E. 2499 (1956).)

-Receipt for fee

Are there any other fees I need to be aware of?

Best regards,

Jennifer

Edited by beaner

hi jennifer,

i landed in BKK airport in 2006 with my 4lb maltese. i went to register it at the designated office and once there, i was told my dog had to be quaranteened (!!!!!!!!!!)

i nearly had a heart attack. i was told that all dogs had to be quaranteened.

now, i had done my research thoroughly, like you, and knew for a fact that dogs were NOT quaranteened in thailand. i even had a letter from the thai consulate in canada stating so.

i totally objected, an interpreter was called in (no english at the airport office). i was asked if this was my 1st time in thailand....blah blah blah.... no can do. dog must be quaranteened.

after about 20 traumatic minutes and no relenting from the authorities, i said "OK... if my dog goes in quarantine, i go too. we do not separate. let's go!"

only at that point did they give it up and instantly gave me some import form to sign and required some amount of money. i forget how much it was, maybe in the neighborhood of $35

they never asked for any proof of vaccination or any kind of paperwork on the dog. i just filled whatever details on the form and that was it.

i later found out that it was a scam and had i volunteered a bit of cash i could have saved myself a lot of anxiety. the thing is, i was not expecting to have to give payolas to government employees in a government office.... silly me!

things went downhill from there. the hotel where i had made reservations by phone, stating i was with dog, informed me upon arrival that they had no reservation for me and that dogs were not allowed. no place in BKK allowed dogs. i ended up sneaking my dog in and out. there was no other way.

i certainly do not recommend travelling with a dog in thailand but if you have your own place, there will be no problem.

good luck!

the stories get better.... after a 12 hours bus ride, i ended up in this small town (i forget the name) and proceeded to a hotel recommended by a tourist. same same: "no dogs allowed". this time, rather than taxi to every hotel till i find a place that will accept a dog, i ask the desk clerk if she knows of any place that might accept a dog. she does! i get my tuk tuk driver to listen to directions and take me there. it was night time. we get into this driveway, all lit up with small christmas lights. quaint, i thought.

then, all i see is a series of curtains with blank walls in between. ???

some guy comes out and i immediately ask: "do you allow dogs?" he says yes. "ok, i'll take a room."

he pulls one of the curtains...it's a garage from where you enter the room. i guess i should have figured it out by then but i was too tired, too hungry and too happy to find a place that allowed dogs to think straight . only when i entered the room did i realize where i was: round bed with mirror on the ceiling and mirrors all around... red leatherette gynecologist type chair... no windows... omg...

i didn't know if i should laugh or cry. i was sooo tired. i pulled a towel from my bag, laid it on the bed and laid myself down. oh, i lost weight i noticed. there i was, staring at myself on a bed in a brothel in thailand...

i took a shower with my shoes on, got dressed, got out, found another place and checked out.

i must be the only person who went in there with a (real) dog and found the place inappropriate...

Sawadee Ka Everyone!

I'm moving to Thailand with my two Yorkies in a couple of weeks and have a few questions that I thought I'd pose to all of you... Would you kindly review the information below and advise whether it is correct or incorrect?

Thailand Dog Import Permit Requirements for receiving a Permit prior to travel by emailing ([email protected], [email protected]):

1. Copy of Passport or Identification of owner

2. Address in exporting country and Address in Thailand

3. E-mail address

4. Details of your pet (ex. kind, breed, number, age and sex) and copy of vaccination book of your pet

5. Detail of arrival date, airline and flight no.

Does anyone have a copy of Form No 1/1? (The importer should personally submit an application request (Form No 1/1) to import live animals into the country to an AQS veterinary official, at least 15 days prior to an importation in order to receive an Import Permit.)

Thailand Dog Import Requirements:

1. The country must be free from Rabies for at least 3 years.

2. The animals must be vaccinated with approved Rabies vaccines for at least 15 days prior to the departure.

3. The animals must be vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21 days preceding departure.

4. The animals must be healthy and free from any sign of infectious or contagious disease at the time of export.

5. The animals must had been resident in the country not less than 6 months preceding the date of export.

6. The animals must have identity certificates signed in the country of origin by a registered veterinary surgeon and further endorsed by a veterinary authority describing the age, breed, sex, color and markings or other points of identification of the dogs or cats.

7. The health certificate certify all as stated 1 - 6 issued by the authorized veterinary officer of the country of origin must accompany the animals on arrival.

~Department of Livestock Development, Phya Thai Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Thailand Dog Import Documentation:

1. International Health Certificate (Who must notarize this certificate?)

2. Rabies Certificate

3. Leptospirosis Vaccination

4. DHPP Vaccination

(5.) Microchip Number (required in Phuket)

(6.) Import Certificate (if received prior to travel)

Finally, please confirm that the following fees will be issued/levied when I arrive at the Phuket airport?

-Import certificate (if not received prior to travel)

-Authorization to do the quarantine at home

-100THB import fee for each dog (The importer must pay an import fee as prescribed by the Ministerial Regulation, which was issued in accordance with the Animal Epidemics Act B.E. 2499 (1956).)

-Receipt for fee

Are there any other fees I need to be aware of?

Best regards,

Jennifer

You may have to pay another 7000 baht at the airport after landing some kind of taxes. I paid 7000 baht for each dog and cat on September 10th when arriving at the airport.

Is there a web site with all the official rules on the money I have to pay, the requirements of my pets and where to get the import licenses etc? I searched online but the information I found does not seem to be from an official source.

Attached is the Request for Import Permit.

I believe you send it to the Animal Quarantine Station in the province/city where you are entering (have also attached a spreadsheet of contact info for the Animal Quarantine Stations in Thailand).

-Complete, scan and send back with vaccination papers.

-On the form include:

-Your address in Thailand

-The date in English (versus Thai date, ie year 2551)

-"To: Phuket Livestock Dept."

-Next few lines self explanatory.

-"I wish to [circle import]... [by Air]... [xx dog/cat]

Also wise to include on a separate sheet for each animal:

-Name

-Sex

-Microchip number

-Photo

-Copy of your passport

Here's a site that may be helpful: http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/imex_e.html

post-64098-1224708358_thumb.jpg

Animal_Quarantine_Stations.xls

Edited by beaner

Thailand says I need a certificate certified by a USDA veterinarian.

Does anyone know where I can get this certificate? Would any local animal hospital be able to provide one?

I think all vets in the U.S. are accredited somehow otherwise they won't have a vet license.

I was wondering how much I need to pay to import each of my 4 cats to Thailand. Some people mentioned that they were charged 7000THB for their dogs on arrival. Some refused to pay and they let them go. Some were never asked to pay anything.

On this web page:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/imex_e.html#L1

"The importer must pay an import fee as prescribed by the Ministerial Regulation , which was issued in accordance with the Animal Epidemics Act B.E. 2499 (1956)"

I wonder what this means exactly?

On this web page it says there is a 30 day quarantine period for cats and dogs:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/menu31e.html

I have read posts about people doing the quarantine at home?

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be moving from Taiwan to Thailand next month (I'm American). I will be bringing a dog and a cat that I adopted here in Taiwan; they will be staying with my girlfriend's family in Lamphun.

Taiwan is a rabies-free country, so I'm hoping I won't have too much difficulty. So far, it seems I will need the following for each animal:

* A health certificate, in English, showing vaccinations for Rabies, Leptospirosis, Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus.

* An importation Certificate.

I can get the health certificates here in Taiwan, but is it true I can get the importation certificate after I arrive in Thailand? Will the health certificates be enough?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

My research on the importation of pets into Thailand...

Pet Requirements:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/menu31e.html

Import Process:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/move/imex_e.html#L1

AQS at Bangkok Airport:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/image/AQS.jpg

Animal Epidemics Act B.E.2499 (1956):

http://www.thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0019_1.htm

---> Scroll down to see a list of fees. 100 THB per cat/dog.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Things I am unsure about. It seems like most if not all pet owners did not have to quarantine their pets. However, some pet owners paid 7000 THB per animal on arrival while some paid only 100 THB. Did they get ripped off?

I think you will have to get the permit done before you bring your pets to Thailand. I am still unsure if they will charge me 7000 THB per cat/dog upon entry!

You definitely shouldn't have to pay 7,000 baht; anyone trying to charge you that much is scamming you. Regarding the importation permit, have a look at post #23 by Sheryl, a moderator:

The import certificate is what the Thai animal quarantine officials will issue you. It is a very simple form giving the details of the pet and owner and stating that the vet has examined the animal and finds no sign of disease. In my experience, the “examination” is limited to taking its temperature (although no doubt there would be more involved if the animal looked ill). Anyhow since the whole point of the certificate is to attest to its health on arrival in Thailand by a Thai govt vet, it can’t be gotten in advance. The airlines don’t know what they are talking about. Thai airlines should know.

I think it's possible to do the importation cert before arrival but I don't think it's necessary.