Importing A Pet Into Thailand

Pre-Import Process

An importer or any person wishing to import live animals into the Kingdom of Thailand should receive an Import Permit from the Department of Livestock Develpoment (DLD) prior to an importation.

The importer should contact a veterinary official at the International Animal Quarantine Station (AQS) at the port of entry , and request for information on a protocol and an animal health requirement of importation of live animals into Thailand.

The importer should personally submit an application request (Form No 1/1) to import live animals into the country to an AQS veterinary offical , at least 15 days prior to an importation

The application should be attached with a copy of the importer ' s identification card. He could appoint a representative to submit the application , in written paper , and attach copies of identification cards of himself and his representative.

The DLD authority will necessarily examine animal disease status of the country of origin before an issuance of Import Permit which will include an appropriate animal health requirement.

The animal health requirements for importation of live animals into Thailand shall be periodically revised to cope with the present situation and/or the current animal disease status.

The importer should send the Import Permit to a duly veterinary authority of the country of origin in order to prepare , inspect , test , and certify those imported animals in compliance with the animal health requirement set by DLD.

The importer should confirm an exact date of arrival of the imported animals to an AQS veterinary official at the port of entry to prepare all facilities concerned , at least 3 days in advance.

===============

The rules state that I must personally submit an application request to import my pet at least 15 days prior to my pet's importation. That means I must be physically in Bangkok or assign someone else to do it for me on my behalf.

This is what I plan to do. I will look for an apartment to rent in Bangkok. Once that has been settled, I shall fill up this form at the Bangkok AQS airport before I fly home to arrange my move to Bangkok, which includes getting my cats vaccinated, micro-chipped, etc etc. I also need to book a flight to transport me and my cats to Bangkok. Once I have my flight details, I should inform the AQS at least 3 days before I leave.

But if you read through some of the posts of people's personal experiences, it seems that importation slip isn't really necessary in most cases. When it is necessary, you can get it upon arrival.

Leaving my animals in Taiwan while I go to BKK to personally deliver that form isn't an option; my pets have to come with me as they have nowhere to stay in Taiwan. I will try to sort out that form before I board the plane, but if I can't I won't be too worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...
You can find the application form for importing live animals into Thailand here:

http://www.dld.go.th/dcontrol/09Download/Move/form_r1-1.doc

It needs to be sent to Thailand not less than 15 days prior to arrival!:

The form is a bit confusing. I have a few questions on what to fill in for some of the fields:

1. To - who do I address this to? To Whom It May Concern good enough?

2. would like to import , export, pass animals/ animal remains through the

kingdom by as the following items. - I would tick the import field. But kingdom by ______ as the following items ?? What is this?

3. quarantine at - May I put home?

But if you read through some of the posts of people's personal experiences, it seems that importation slip isn't really necessary in most cases. When it is necessary, you can get it upon arrival.

Leaving my animals in Taiwan while I go to BKK to personally deliver that form isn't an option; my pets have to come with me as they have nowhere to stay in Taiwan. I will try to sort out that form before I board the plane, but if I can't I won't be too worried about it.

How do we inform AQS about our pets' arrival? I don't think we could just board them on a plane and bring them to the Bangkok airport just like that. I shall email AQS and ask them about this. They might accept email and fax applications.

Edited by SGDude

I would like to share my recent experience in bringing my dog from Australia to Phuket.

In doing so hopefully I can answer some other people's questions on this topic.

I arranged with a pet transport company at great cost to bring my dog from Melbourne. She is a standard schnauzer. I did endless research before going ahead with it. I read the posts on this forum and contacted the quarantine department both in Bangkok and Phuket. My Thai secretary spoke to the official at Phuket airport and gave her all of my personal and contact details and flight details etc. We were told that she would meet me at the airport and that as I was travelling with my dog there was no need to complete the import licence application which would be done on arrival at the airport. She confirmed that there was a 100 baht fee.

After a long overnight flight I collected my bags and immediately received a call from a lady saying my dog was in the cargo section and I had to go there to pick her up. I went there to find that I was not dealing with a quarantine official but rather an agent called Sky Trade. They made me sign mountains of paper work which was mostly various copies of all of the veterinary papers and my passport and visa. There was also Thai import application form.

They made me wait around for a couple of hours for reasons unexplained (they spike very little English) and then gave me a bill for 6065 baht of which 3770 was their fees for handling and 2295 for tax.

I felt I had no choice so I paid and took my dog home.

Now the cynical side of me assumes that the quarantine official who said she would meet me must have passed on my details and telephone number to the agency who then shared the fee with her. 100 baht turned into 6000 baht.

Part of me says this is Thailand and just forget it but there is another side of me which despises corruption and being taken advantage of. However I am sure there is no one I could complain to who would listen or even less do something about it.

I would like to share my recent experience in bringing my dog from Australia to Phuket.

In doing so hopefully I can answer some other people's questions on this topic.

I arranged with a pet transport company at great cost to bring my dog from Melbourne. She is a standard schnauzer. I did endless research before going ahead with it. I read the posts on this forum and contacted the quarantine department both in Bangkok and Phuket. My Thai secretary spoke to the official at Phuket airport and gave her all of my personal and contact details and flight details etc. We were told that she would meet me at the airport and that as I was travelling with my dog there was no need to complete the import licence application which would be done on arrival at the airport. She confirmed that there was a 100 baht fee.

After a long overnight flight I collected my bags and immediately received a call from a lady saying my dog was in the cargo section and I had to go there to pick her up. I went there to find that I was not dealing with a quarantine official but rather an agent called Sky Trade. They made me sign mountains of paper work which was mostly various copies of all of the veterinary papers and my passport and visa. There was also Thai import application form.

They made me wait around for a couple of hours for reasons unexplained (they spike very little English) and then gave me a bill for 6065 baht of which 3770 was their fees for handling and 2295 for tax.

I felt I had no choice so I paid and took my dog home.

Now the cynical side of me assumes that the quarantine official who said she would meet me must have passed on my details and telephone number to the agency who then shared the fee with her. 100 baht turned into 6000 baht.

Part of me says this is Thailand and just forget it but there is another side of me which despises corruption and being taken advantage of. However I am sure there is no one I could complain to who would listen or even less do something about it.

Hi,

what happened here is that dogs shipped from Australia are shipped as cargo, not excess luggage. So on arrival you have to deal with an import broker ( they charge a fee) then it is with customs duties: where they give a nominal value to your pet...usually 10,000 baht or so: they then charge an import duty of 30% ( not sure where the rate is decided). There is also usually another fee of 1500 baht because you would arrive outside "normal" business hours . The import permit was only 100 baht that's true but all the other fees amount to your 6000 baht.

Make sure you maintain your dog on heartworm prevention and use drontal to also worm her/him regularly.

Be ready for locals to ask you how much your dog costs!!"Peng maack?Taowray?" .It seems to be the first question then "Pan aray?" (What breed?).

make sure to put a tag with your mobile on it on your dog too.

Enjoy Thailand

Just an update on my situation: I was able to obtain the import permits for both my cat and dog via email. It is not necessary to apply for the permits in person. I seriously doubt I'll need to use the permits, but it's nice to have them just in case. Here is the process for obtaining the permits from outside of Thailand:

1 - Obtain all necessary vaccination records, health certificates, microchip info, etc...

2 - Download and fill out Form No 1/1, found here.

3 - Call AQS at Suvarnabhumi Airport and let them know your situation. They will tell you to fax Form 1/1 along with all health certificates and other documents. It is a good idea to include a cover letter indicating your flight number, exact time and date of arrival, and details of the animals you plan to bring. Make sure to include your email address!

4 - Fax all of the above to: +66 2134 3640.

5 - Wait 5-7 days to receive your import permit by email.

Fifteen days isn't necessarily needed, but I would suggest you give yourself at least ten days. It helps to have someone who can speak fluent Thai also.

Bluedan, What mangotogo told you is correct.

The 100baht fee was buried in the amount you paid - together with some corruption money.

Part of the 'tax' is based on their estimated value of the pet - and they can let their imagination run wild there. See my earlier post about the value they put on my moggie.

You would have little/no chance to address this problem here in Thailand. You might have slightly better luck lobbying the Australian government to change their policy (as imposed on the airlines) regarding carriage of companion animals. If we could bring them in as carry-on or luggage (not freight) as can people flying from USA (for eg) then they (the relevant Thais) wouldn't get their claws into us.

But I guess the issue here is:

* once you have been through this and have your pet here, who is going to go to that trouble (to lobby)

* would anyone in the relevant Oz agency really care about this (probably unintended & unforeseen) effect of their policy?

- CB

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update on my situation: I was able to obtain the import permits for both my cat and dog via email. It is not necessary to apply for the permits in person. I seriously doubt I'll need to use the permits, but it's nice to have them just in case. Here is the process for obtaining the permits from outside of Thailand:

1 - Obtain all necessary vaccination records, health certificates, microchip info, etc...

2 - Download and fill out Form No 1/1, found here.

3 - Call AQS at Suvarnabhumi Airport and let them know your situation. They will tell you to fax Form 1/1 along with all health certificates and other documents. It is a good idea to include a cover letter indicating your flight number, exact time and date of arrival, and details of the animals you plan to bring. Make sure to include your email address!

4 - Fax all of the above to: +66 2134 3640.

5 - Wait 5-7 days to receive your import permit by email.

Fifteen days isn't necessarily needed, but I would suggest you give yourself at least ten days. It helps to have someone who can speak fluent Thai also.

Thanks for the information. I need to do the above soon. I have found an apartment in Bangkok and I will be moving my pets to Bangkok soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be bringing my dog and cat here in late February. By reading all the posts here I felt that I had a good idea of what I needed to do and what to expect. But as the date draws closers I'm getting increasingly nervous.

My cat will be coming first, via United cargo/unaccompanied baggage from Washington D.C. Has anyone had any experience shipping pets as cargo from the states? The flight comes in at 23:45 and I'm worried about how I'm going to find my cat and get him out of the airport with neither of us being too traumatized.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

I called qsap yesterday and they told me that you don't need an import certificate if the animals are coming with you personally - ie in the cabin or luggage. They also said, I can arrive at any time of day or day or week as just need to show customs my usda health certificates.

fyi.

• Like 1

Hi, I want to bring my 2 cats over from Shenzhen. My problem is not when I arrive here in Bangkok its trying to get them out of the county that a battle!

My only option is a agent, but I would prefer to use one from Bangkok than HK...

Any suggestions where I could find such an agent

Thanks

I would also like to know of experiences when importing pet birds into Thailand. I have several African Greys that I would like to bring with me in a couple years. I have asked on several forums in the past, including here, with no response. Surely, someone on this forum must have brought birds in before and have some information to share with us. :o

The requirements will depend on where you are coming from. I just brought an African Grey from the U.S. to Hanoi via Hong Kong. I looked into transiting the bird through BKK. Birds are complicated because of health regulations (esp in time of avian flu) and related tests, also CITES clearance for "endangered species". African Greys are on the CITES Annex II list for most countries (including Thailand) and you will need CITES as well as health clearances. If you are coming from the US I can tell you what is the process from the US side viz. health, USDA export, and CITES. I usually do everything myself but in this case ended up using a pet relocator: PetRelocation.com is really good, speak to Rachel for specific information on Thailand's requirements. She will provide all sorts of free information and good advice on birds. Note that not all airlines are willing to carry birds and even fewer of them do so... well, safely. Continental is good, also Lufthansa and BA (from US and Europe to Thailand). Cathay Pacific is also very good. Happy to talk offline if you want more information -- moving birds is complicated and the rules change frequently.

I got ripped off at the customs yesterday. I cleared the AQS office and paid 100 THB per cat. I was issued a receipt which I presented to the bastards at the "Goods to Declare" exit. The officers demanded 1000 THB per cat. I argued that I had already paid the 100 THB tax and duties. They threatened to lock up my cat at some office and no food and water will be provided. I also demanded to see the rule that says 1000 thb per cat duties and they pointed me to a dumb poster that was very vague. I decided to just settle it by giving them the money they want. They issued me a receipt in Thai. Terrible experience for me but I know it could have been worse.

I got ripped off at the customs yesterday. I cleared the AQS office and paid 100 THB per cat. I was issued a receipt which I presented to the bastards at the "Goods to Declare" exit. The officers demanded 1000 THB per cat. I argued that I had already paid the 100 THB tax and duties. They threatened to lock up my cat at some office and no food and water will be provided. I also demanded to see the rule that says 1000 thb per cat duties and they pointed me to a dumb poster that was very vague. I decided to just settle it by giving them the money they want. They issued me a receipt in Thai. Terrible experience for me but I know it could have been worse.

Hi, welcome to the Thai way of doing business. You can never look at things the same way you did in your country of origin. Takes a while to get used to it!

My dog wears a collar with a small tag that says reward in english and thai and a phone number: if your appartment is not totall cat proof i suggest you do the same.

Again,

welcome to Bangkok

My apartment is cat proof at the moment because I do not open the windows. Gonna get some plastic mesh to block the windows so that air and sunlight can come in without the cats jumping out!

Any advice on where to get pet screens?

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of great info here but once arrived in Bangkok where are the short term pet friendly accomodations that will allow one time to look around for something long term.I have a declawed cat that I'll be bringing and everyone I contact for short term is writing back,sorry we do not allow pets.What to do?

Lots of great info here but once arrived in Bangkok where are the short term pet friendly accomodations that will allow one time to look around for something long term.I have a declawed cat that I'll be bringing and everyone I contact for short term is writing back,sorry we do not allow pets.What to do?

you'll have to hide your cat. there is no other way. i've been there and desperately searched a place to stay after my hotel, which had ok'd my pet when making the phone reservations, told me once i was there, that no pets were allowed.

after a 2 days search and no success, i realized the only way for me to not sleep on the street was to hide my pet. the situation was a bit better outside of BKK but not much. it was an excruciating experience which i would not repeat. and my pet is cuteness impersonated, a 4lbs, maltese.

good luck to you but be warned: traveling with a pet in thailand is asking for a LOT of trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i am new in this forum. I know this tread is for the importation of pets. Could anyone enlightened me about the procedures to bring out some (about 20 nos) of Siamese fighting fish out Thailand. This fish is for my hobby.

• 5 months later...

Believe it or not I have read all the posts here, but I'm posting to make sure there are not new developments I'm missing and I'm confused about the import certificate.

Travel Plans: I will be flying from Los Angeles to Chiang Mai through TaiPei on China Airlines in late September or early October.

Dog Information: 40lbs, sheltie mixed (I think) rescue. 3 years old. Quite healthy. Very shy around strangers.

steven-1.jpg

We are going to the vet on Friday to get shots updated as necessary and either get certificates or at least have everything ready to get them when necessary.

Questions:

(1) Is there any TaiPei layover issues to worry about? I read about problems with Korean layovers, but didn't see any TPE issues.

(2) Is the Import Certificate (Form 1/1) necessary? This is the most confusing part to me. My current understanding is that I shouldn't do it, and just be prepared to deal with having to get it at CNX if necessary.

(3) Which certificate do I need from the US? a USDA certificate or the international certificate? either?

(4) Has anyone had a quarantine hassle in Chiang Mai or heard of one? I didn't see any in the thread.

(5) Any China Airlines specific experience or info would be great. I've contacted them and read what's on their website, but any personal experience or knowledge would be appreciated.

Questions:

(1) Is there any TaiPei layover issues to worry about? I read about problems with Korean layovers, but didn't see any TPE issues.

(2) Is the Import Certificate (Form 1/1) necessary? This is the most confusing part to me. My current understanding is that I shouldn't do it, and just be prepared to deal with having to get it at CNX if necessary.

(3) Which certificate do I need from the US? a USDA certificate or the international certificate? either?

(4) Has anyone had a quarantine hassle in Chiang Mai or heard of one? I didn't see any in the thread.

(5) Any China Airlines specific experience or info would be great. I've contacted them and read what's on their website, but any personal experience or knowledge would be appreciated.

A1. Last year TV member, Black Artemis, has brought his dog from CNX to the States via Tapei. He needed paperwork for his dog. But for the what- and how- details you can better send him a pm: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/BlackArtemis-m30367.html

A2. Better to get an import permit.

A3. ????

A4. Your dog is a mixed breed. Make sure that is mentioned on ALL paperwork as it will make a huge difference with the import tax etc at the airport, which should not exceed 500 baht. I've never heard of a dog or cat having to go in quarantine at the airport.

A5. Although already several years ago, the experience was good.

Check out this link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/an...l_exports.shtml, then this: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/ and last but not least, this: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/i..._thailand.shtml

• 2 months later...
Greetings,

I am bring in my Golden in later this month and all the best hotels are major leauge dog unfriendly. No Peninsula, no Sukothai, no Oriental, no Four Seasons, no...well you get the idea.

I did find one hotel but it does not really meet the concept of splurging to celebrate my arrival in Thailand.

So either i immediately fly to Phuket and skip a few days in BKK, or find a place for her to crash.

I am a little concenred because she will have spent over 30 hours in a create and she has never been created before. Not sure I want her to spend time with a stanger because she has never been in a kennel before either. (Yes - she is major leauge spoiled.)

So can you tell me more about your recommendation and provide an email address if you have one?

Many thanks.

PS. Does anyone know if i can go see her during the 11 hour layover in London?

I actually know first-hand that some of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Bangkok are dog friendly. Four Seasons was one of them. Are you kidding me? If you are really interested.. just let me know and I can find out the details of where you can take your creatures that isn't off the beaten path.

• 5 weeks later...

I posted a message, but it didn't appear, so here it goes again! If the original ones appears later, I apologize!

We are moving from Beijing to Bangkok and want to bring our toy poodle. However, we have been told that there is a new restriction forbidding the entry of animals from China. One agent advises this is true, another advises there is no such restriction. Has anyone moved a pet recently from China or does anyone know if there is such a rule? If there is such a rule, does anyone have any suggestions on how we can make this move? One final question.......I can't seem to find an asian airline that allows pets in the cabin as carry on baggage. It would make the trip a lot less stressful for all if we could take our dog into the cabin vs. cargo or excess baggage.

Many thanks!

Pava

• 1 month later...

AUSTRALIA:

After reading everyone's experiences (which have been invaluable), Question: the Import Permit, i get the impression some people dont bother applying and just show up in Bangkok and obtain on arrival ??? Is this correct?

I have a dog i want to bring from Australia and i am suspecting Thai Airways will want to see a import permit ??

I read that the dog willl need a pre embarkation inspection by an Australian Quaratine inspection service VET, is this correct ? considering i will have obtained a health certificate from my Vet.

Is it necessary to get a government vet to co-signed the health certifate from my vet.

If you dog is healthy BUT has a deformity ( she can walk and run fine but one of her rear legs- the knee - is not the best and she has a imperfect kneee joint) would this preclude her from comming to thailand ?

many thank