Importing A Pet Into Thailand

AUSTRALIA:

After reading everyone's experiences (which have been invaluable), Question: the Import Permit, i get the impression some people dont bother applying and just show up in Bangkok and obtain on arrival ??? Is this correct?

I have a dog i want to bring from Australia and i am suspecting Thai Airways will want to see a import permit ??

Better to be safe than sorry, thus better to have ALL paperwork in order before entering the Kingdom. There are links in this pinned subject towards this specific document.

I read that the dog willl need a pre embarkation inspection by an Australian Quaratine inspection service VET, is this correct ? considering i will have obtained a health certificate from my Vet.

You need both a health certificate and an export permit which you can get at Australian Quarantine Inspection Service VET: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/export/live-animals/vets

Is it necessary to get a government vet to co-signed the health certifate from my vet.

Possibly yes. Best to phone The AQIS in Australia for this kind of information: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/export/live-animals/vets

If you dog is healthy BUT has a deformity ( she can walk and run fine but one of her rear legs- the knee - is not the best and she has a imperfect kneee joint) would this preclude her from comming to thailand ?

many thank

That should be no problem as it isn't an infectious disease. But again, better to be safe than sorry and ask your vet to note this down on the health certificate.

More info on exporting a dog from Australia: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/export/live-animals/companion

Hope this helps. :)

edit: Better to read also the pages on bringing a dog back to Australia from Thailand. Just in case there's a chance you will return before your dog has passes away: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

Edited by Nienke

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some browsing of the "travel" & the "importing animals" topic/forums to get info on taking my pet cat with me on my next trip to Thailand (I plan to stay for 3 mos & sublet my apt. So, taking the cat with me seems the best option).

Here's what I understand so far.

First, I get a USDA International Health Certificate from a vet here in San Francisco who's been certified by the USDA to give one. Then, I make sure the airline I'm choosing will make accomodations for having the cat on board with me. When I arrive, I follow instructions from the airline &/or airport personel regarding import forms, etc.

I have some questions about the middle part:

1) Airline recommendations? Most options for me from San Francisco involve a transfer in Taipei, Tokyo or Hong Kong. I tend go favor China Airlines, Eva or Japan Airlines because the transfers are relatively short. But, does anyone know if there are issues moving through security & in one of these airports with a cat? Also, would anyone recommend moving up to premium economy or business class to make things easier?

2) How do people manage the inflight time with the cat? I plan to use nothing more than the mildest of sedatives (e.g. comfort zone &/or rescue remedy). So, that means he'll need some food & water, and also may want to go to the litter box, which won't be there? Any thoughts/experience?

Also, I plan to bring the cat back with me when I return to San Francisco. So, that may relate to the end part of the process.

3) What are the paperwork/requirements for bringing the cat back to the US after 3 mos. in Thailand? Is it an absolute necessity to get the import certificate if I may be able to breeze through without it? (averting any risk of extortion for more fees & bribes) Will the USDA Internaitonal Health Certificate be good enough for the return trip, or is there some other certificate that I need to get in BKK before returning.

Thanks for your help.

• 6 months later...

No sedatives, please. They're a bad idea. Maybe Rescue Remedy, but ask your vet first.

My cat didn't ask for a litter box. She just "held it in" the whole flight. I know you're not supposed to, but I fly with my cat all the time and always take her out of the carrier for a few minutes during the flight. Nobody's ever said anything and it gives her a chance to stretch.

You'll need a new health certificate when you leave Thailand.

Not sure what this means: "When I arrive, I follow instructions from the airline &/or airport personel regarding import forms, etc." You need to get the import forms in advance. Nothing is done at the airport.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My Mum lives in Spain and to go to Gibralter with the dog she has to bring its passport...

I never thought Id aks this but does a dog need a passport to come to Thailand..?

not a real gov't passport; its just a book with the dogs info, vets info stamps for travel blood tests etc... and chip number id'ing the dog with its chip number; not all countries recognize all microchips so for instance dogs leaving israel get rechipped for international chips since some are local only....

bina

I'm planning to take my pet cat with me from Singapore to Chiang Mai (via Bangkok) flying Thai Airways, which I understand allow pet cats to be carried on board. Can anyone confirm that I can carry my pet cat on board Thai Airways, as I hate to send him via cargo. If not Thai Airways, which other airlines (departing Singapore) allow pets on board?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Edited by giibaht

I'm planning to take my pet cat with me from Singapore to Chiang Mai (via Bangkok) flying Thai Airways, which I understand allow pet cats to be carried on board. Can anyone confirm that I can carry my pet cat on board Thai Airways, as I hate to send him via cargo. If not Thai Airways, which other airlines (departing Singapore) allow pets on board?

You need to call the airline. Animals are allowed in the cabin if they're under a certain weight (I think it's 6 kilos including the carrier). If she's not allowed in the cabin, she should go as excess luggage, NOT cargo. They're two different things and cargo is a pain --More difficult to retrieve the animal at the airport, more difficult to get through customs/quarantine and not as safe for the animal.

You need to call the airline. Animals are allowed in the cabin if they're under a certain weight (I think it's 6 kilos including the carrier). If she's not allowed in the cabin, she should go as excess luggage, NOT cargo. They're two different things and cargo is a pain --More difficult to retrieve the animal at the airport, more difficult to get through customs/quarantine and not as safe for the animal.

I managed to get through on the phone to Thai Airways Singapore office after being put on hold for 25min :bah: But for my darling, its worth the wait :)

For the benefit of others, these are the requirements from TG:

1) Pet + Carrier < 10Kg

2) Carrier dimensions 55 (L) x 37 (W) x 30 (H) cm. The carrier must be put under the seat when on board.

3) Need to provide microchip number as part of the ticket booking

4) Documents required: health certificate + Thai import permit and Singapore export permits to be provided when checking in. Also need to inform them one week in advance before departure.

5) Pet & Carrier will be checked in as excess luggage at SGD 15 per kg (current rates)

6) Pet must be clean and odorless

As I am going to Chiangmai via Bangkok, I will just carry my pet with me when changing flights.

Sounds quite easy after all :D

P/S: I did ask whether its possible to purchase an additional ticket for my pet so I can put the carrier on the seat. Answer is No!:whistling:

Edited by giibaht

Stick your dog/cat underneath...in the hold...what if it shits in its cage....we expected to smell that the whole flight ?

My cat usually clears the tummy in the morning, so shouldn't be a problem. In any case, I expect it will be able to hold it all in as the flight is only 2hrs (SIN-BKK) and 1 hr (BKK-CNX). But just in case, I'll bring along some anti-odor remedy etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get through on the phone to Thai Airways Singapore office after being put on hold for 25min :bah: But for my darling, its worth the wait :)

For the benefit of others, these are the requirements from TG:

1) Pet + Carrier < 10Kg

2) Carrier dimensions 55 (L) x 37 (W) x 30 (H) cm. The carrier must be put under the seat when on board.

3) Need to provide microchip number as part of the ticket booking

4) Documents required: health certificate + Thai import permit and Singapore export permits to be provided when checking in. Also need to inform them one week in advance before departure.

5) Pet & Carrier will be checked in as excess luggage at SGD 15 per kg (current rates)

6) Pet must be clean and odorless

As I am going to Chiangmai via Bangkok, I will just carry my pet with me when changing flights.

Well, I've booked my ticket and as per item(3) above, I called the Singapore office. In addition to the microchip number, they asked for the pet carrier dimensions and weight of my pet & carrier, and apparently this is booked into their system as well. Will update again after I take the flight :D

• 2 months later...

Hello,

This thread hasn't been updated in a while so I thought I'd post about my experience bringing my dog into Thailand. I was extremely nervous about it, but thankfully it all worked out in the end!

To perhaps save people some time (especially if coming from the US), I would recommend reading the following posts in this thread first. They were most helpful to me and the information is still up-to-date:

86, 94, 151, 158

After researching which airlines had the best track record with transporting pets, I decided to go with Delta. Now that it's all said & done I can wholeheartedly recommend them - they really put me at ease during the whole experience. Before I booked the flight, I called them to confirm our dog would be ok to travel on the itinerary I wanted to take. They only allow a certain number of dogs to be in the pet hold, so I wanted to make sure there was room for him before I paid for the flight. I booked the flight with my travel agent, then had to call the airline back to add him to my Ticket. They simply added a note that he would be travelling with me as checked baggage on the flights I had booked, and there was a $200 fee payable on the day we left.

Our dog had already had a rabies vaccination last year, but the Thai guidelines state the vaccination must be given within 21 days of arrival. So here is a timeline of our vet visits and vaccinations.

Before 21 days of arrival:

- Rabies (was done five months prior per his previous vaccination history)

- DHPP (required per Thailand)

- Leptospirosis (required per Thailand)

About two weeks prior to leaving:

- Emailed my Import Certificate request (instructions in post 158). Because he did not have the final vaccinations yet, when I emailed it I didn't include any copies of his vaccinations. Instead I listed which vaccines he already had (on which dates) in the bottom section under my signature, along with contact information for my veterinarian. I said he had an appointment coming up to receive the final vaccinations required and listed the date. They did not ask to see any proof of vaccinations prior to issuing the Import Permit, and they emailed the permit back to me within two business days of my request.

In the one week prior to leaving:

- Rabies (required per Thailand)

- Bordatella (aka kennel cough - not required, but good to have for travelling)

- Health Certificate (required per Thailand and the airline)

- Brought all documents to my bank and had them notarized

- Brought Health Certificate to USDA office to be stamped with their special stamp. This seems like such a waste of time and $36, but even my vet said it should be done. When I was travelling, nobody even looked at it. The USDA representative doesn't even need to see your dog when they stamp the form; they only needed to view our current rabies certificate. *sigh*

- Made four sets of copies of everything including my flight details, passport and visa stamps, vaccination history, certificate of health with the fancy stamp, and import certificate

- Bought all the bedding for the crate (about five fleece throw blankets for warmth and two big towels for liners in the bottom), along with the feeding cups for food and water that attach to the door

- Made an info sheet about my dog with our flights, and emergency contact info

(Hi, I'm Buster and I'm 10 ys old. This is my first time flying, so I might be a little nervous. I don't bite and I get along with other dogs, …) It had his picture on it, along with a picture of me and my fiancé. I had this laminated, then taped it to the top of the crate with one of the sets of copied paperwork underneath (vaccination history, health certificate, flight info, passport, etc).

- Purchased special treats and ice for his trip – Delta even allows you to put in a big marrow bone. These keep my dog occupied for hours!

- Packed his meds (he has arthritis) & some extra blankets for him in my carry-on bag.

- Checked every day that the weather would cooperate – per Delta regulations the temp at JFK needed to be above 20 degrees Fahrenheit in order for pets to fly. (If travelling in the summertime, they have a max temperature also, so you should be aware of that.) Thank you, Mother Nature, for complying!

- Prayed and tried not to worry (a lot!!)

On the day of our flight, of course there had to be a big snowstorm, and the airline said our dog needed to be at the airport to check in at least 4 hrs prior to the flight. So after a five hour drive to the airport, I am worried now he's going to be on this flight for 14 hrs *and* in a crate for 4 hrs before the flight. However, Delta staff was awesome – they let me check in and gave me a boarding pass, but allowed me to stay with my dog in the lobby of the airport until right before the plane began boarding. This allowed him to have a good meal before we left and a nice walk to do his business right before he got in his crate.

Staff accompanied me to a special security area where they had to examine the crate and its contents, and my dog. I put in food & ice in the cups (ice because the water spills going up & down the ramps but ice will take a while to melt, so it's more likely he'd be able to have some water during the flight). I put my dog inside and they also secured the door with a plastic tab. Then he was off to Japan and I boarded the flight.

When I got on board, I told the stewardess that I was travelling with my dog and asked her to confirm that he was in the pet hold, and asked that the captain could monitor the temperature for him. She assured me that on their flights the pet hold is kept at the same temperature as the cabin I was in. About ten minutes later she also returned with a small piece of paper that had his name & my seat number, and it said "I'm on board, too!" which was really nice!

So we were off on our 14 hr trip to Japan. The flight was good and no turbulence – yay!

In Japan I went through to baggage and the staff let me check on him, take him out (although not for a walk which was the only drawback), clean out his crate / change bedding, and refill his food & water. He was doing well. I gave him another stuffed bone to keep him occupied for the final six hours of our journey.

Again on the flight to Bangkok, the stewardess gave me the paper that confirmed my dog had been boarded, and assured me the pet hold would be kept the same temperature as the main cabin.

We arrived at Bangkok and I went through to baggage again. I picked up my suitcase and by the time I got to the oversize baggage department my dog was already there waiting for me! They helped me put his crate on a trolley and we rolled over to the Quarantine Station.

The man on duty did not even look at my dog. In fact, my dog was whining a lot and he asked me to leave my dog outside on the trolley while I went into the office to fill out paperwork (it has a glass wall so I could keep my eye on the crate and my luggage the entire time, though). He checked my import certificate, rabies certificate and health certificate, then filled out the forms in Thai. He gave me two copies – one I had to give the man at customs, and the other copy to be kept by me with his vet records. I paid BHT 100 and we were free to enter the country! All that worrying for nothing!!

Now it seems my Buster Brown is enjoying his retirement in Thailand very much. He is getting along great with his new little fur sister, whom we adopted here a few months ago. It is a dream come true to have him with me again. :thumbsup:

As with other posters who have done this before, it is terrifying to go through but really, if you have all your ducks in a row it was a pretty straightforward process.

Kind regards,

WaatWang & Buster Brown

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for useful information. I need to bring / import my dog to Thailand in summer. Anyone had chance with travelling 6-7 months old small race (Terrier mix) dog? My flight is direct (except 50 minutes domestic flight) and it takes 9 hours from Istanbul to Bangkok. I'm not sure if a dog at this age can handle this long flight.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have experience taking a cat FROM Thailand to the USA? Taking my cat back to the USA next month with me (as carry-on baggage, already booked) on Delta from Bangkok-Tokyo Narita-Detroit. What documentation will I need? The cat has a current up-to-date rabies shot, so far. Thought I could obtain an International Health Certificate from my vet here in Udon but he seems as confused as I am and gave me a letter (in Thai) concerning the cat's health and vaccinations. Do I need to get the proper health certificate from the Animal Quarantine Station at Suvarnabhumi or from a vet within a few days of our departure? Will I need a Export License or permit from the AQS?

Yes, you need both a health certificate and export permit from the AQS not more than 3 days prior to traveling abroad. A health certificate from a vet is not valid.

I'm not sure if only an up-to-date Rabies shot is sufficient for the States. How about the other vaccinations? Are they mandatory? You can check that out on the following website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

Thank you all for useful information. I need to bring / import my dog to Thailand in summer. Anyone had chance with travelling 6-7 months old small race (Terrier mix) dog?

It shouldn't be much different from any other (mixed) breed. Best is to crate-train your pup before, so it feels totally comfortable and safe in it. And train it to drink from a drinking bottle.

Against stress you can give Rescue Remedy made from Bach Flowers. Start one week before, 4 drops on the gum (do not touch the pipet) 4 times a day. If the pet moves too much when trying to give the remedy, you can also put 8 drops in the drinking water and change that twice a day. During travel you can put 16 drops in the drinking bottles.

Oftenowners are more stressed than their animals, which WILL reflect on them. If that's the case, also you can take the Rescue Remedy, starting a week prior to travel, 4 drops on the gum 4 times a day. :)

My flight is direct (except 50 minutes domestic flight) and it takes 9 hours from Istanbul to Bangkok. I'm not sure if a dog at this age can handle this long flight.

Please, make sure your pet travels in the early morning, late afternoon or evening. During the day it's too hot, and it is not unheard of that pets do die on the domestic flights (especially the short-nosed ones), most probably due to high stress (as they are in between the cargo) and overheating during transporting to or from the plane. This can happen in just 10 to 15 minutes.

There are people who chose to take hire a mini-van from BKK to their end-destination

Edited by Nienke

Yes, you need both a health certificate and export permit from the AQS not more than 3 days prior to traveling abroad. A health certificate from a vet is not valid.

I'm not sure if only an up-to-date Rabies shot is sufficient for the States. How about the other vaccinations? Are they mandatory? You can check that out on the following website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

Nienke, thanks for the timely and helpful info. From the link above, my cat only needs the rabies vaccination so we're all set there.

I called AQS for directions to their office and the English-speaking guy says they are located 3 KM from the Arrivals/Departures terminal. Here is their info:

Animal Quarantine Office:

Suvarnabhumi Airport animal quarantine station.

Free zone Area,CE-1 building 1st Floor. (This office is not by the arrivals/departures, it's off in a seperate property lot, looks like a bunch of warehouses.)

Suvarnabhumi Airport, Racha Thewa Sub-district,

Bang Phli District, Samut Prakan Province 10540

Thailand

Tel: 02-1340731,

Fax: 02-1340732

open 8:30am-4:30pm, (12-1pm closed for lunch)

• 2 weeks later...

Our dog had already had a rabies vaccination last year, but the Thai guidelines state the vaccination must be given within 21 days of arrival. So here is a timeline of our vet visits and vaccinations.

Before 21 days of arrival:

- Rabies (was done five months prior per his previous vaccination history)

- DHPP (required per Thailand)

- Leptospirosis (required per Thailand)

About two weeks prior to leaving:

- Emailed my Import Certificate request (instructions in post 158). Because he did not have the final vaccinations yet, when I emailed it I didn't include any copies of his vaccinations. Instead I listed which vaccines he already had (on which dates) in the bottom section under my signature, along with contact information for my veterinarian. I said he had an appointment coming up to receive the final vaccinations required and listed the date. They did not ask to see any proof of vaccinations prior to issuing the Import Permit, and they emailed the permit back to me within two business days of my request.

In the one week prior to leaving:

- Rabies (required per Thailand)

- Bordatella (aka kennel cough - not required, but good to have for travelling)

I'm bringing my dog to Thailand in a few months. What I've read is actually the opposite of what you posted above as far as the timelines.

(From http://www.dld.go.th...ish/movec1.html)

3) The country has been free from Rabies for at least the past 12 (twelve) months OR the animals are vaccinated against Rabies with an official approved vaccine not less than 21 (twenty- one) days prior to the departure.

4) EITHER a) The dog is vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21(twenty-one) days preceding departure. OR B) The dog is subjected to a test for Leptospirosis with negative result during the 30 (thirty) days prior to the departure.

5) The animals shall be vaccinated against other significant infectious or contagious diseases i.e. Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus, with an official approved vaccine at least 21 (twenty-one) days prior to the departure.

So this is saying the Rabies vaccine must be given at least 21 days prior to departure (not WITHIN 21 days) and that the Leptospirosis vaccine must be given at least 21 days prior to departure (not within 21 days). That's the opposite of what was written above. Can someone please tell me what the regulations are? The info I pasted above is from the Department of Livestock Development in Thailand.

Edited by gray42

• 1 month later...

Anyone done the visit to the vet at the airport recently? A couple of minor questions (we are going out there Monday)

- How long did it take to issue your export permit & do the official health check docs?

- Did the office want to sight your import permit (for the receiving country - in our case Malaysia) before they issued the Thai export permit?

I've read through this whole thread a couple of times, because I'm nervous about everything that could go wrong about bringing our animals into Thailand with us. I think I understand all the requirements and procedures.

But then I came to the post asking if importation of animals was allowed under an ED visa. And even though the person asked was told it should be fine, it made me realize I hadn't seen any discussion of any sort of visa requirement to bring in animals. Can you import animals on a tourist visa? A retirement visa? If you come in as an American without a visa, since you're going to get a non-resident visa once you arrive? Or do they not really care about any of this and so long as your other paperwork is in order it's ok?

• Like 1

I've read through this whole thread a couple of times, because I'm nervous about everything that could go wrong about bringing our animals into Thailand with us. I think I understand all the requirements and procedures.

But then I came to the post asking if importation of animals was allowed under an ED visa. And even though the person asked was told it should be fine, it made me realize I hadn't seen any discussion of any sort of visa requirement to bring in animals. Can you import animals on a tourist visa? A retirement visa? If you come in as an American without a visa, since you're going to get a non-resident visa once you arrive? Or do they not really care about any of this and so long as your other paperwork is in order it's ok?

They don't care. I brought three pets with me and got a visa exempt entry at the airport. The office that deals with animals is on the Thai side of the airport. That means you first have to get through passport control in order to go to the office. Passport control doesn't know (or care or ask) whether you have animals.

Help!

We have filled in and submitted all our paperwork for the import permit. Our animals are vaccinated and healthy and compliant with all the requirements. But, we have just hit a snag.

We are flying from BKK to Chiang Mai a few hours after we arrive. The animals will clear with the Quarantine Officer all the legalities there in BkK first of course. But now, Thai Airways is demanding the "Health Certificate Number" before agreeing to reserve place on the BKK-CMX flight for them.

I am baffled. Usually the health certificate is issued by the vet in the country where you are departing only 3-7 days (depending on the country's requirements) before you leave. The Thai Airways person has said it can be 30 days in the case of Thailand, which surprises me. Is that really true? And, I'm puzzled by the "Number" since the certificate will be issued by my East. African country's vet, and surely every country where people would leave from to come to Thailand will have its own system of numbers and so on. To add to my complications, of course to get ON the plane to leave this place, the health certificate must be only 5 days old.

The last thing I want is to arrive in BKK and have a huge crisis in the heat with no ongoing flight for the dogs. So I don't mind having the health certificate done twice here - now to save the space, later to suit the African govt's requirements when leaving. But I really wonder why this is required for a domestic flight, when they understand you will have just a couple hours before, have had all your papers stamped and made valid at the BKK airport.

Is this a misunderstanding, or has anyone else heard of this requirement? And do they really want a health certificate from anywhere, or is this something they want for domestic flights that is issued by the Thai government, and is not possible, obviously, for me to get before I arrive?

• 3 months later...

Just an update on my situation: I was able to obtain the import permits for both my cat and dog via email. It is not necessary to apply for the permits in person. I seriously doubt I'll need to use the permits, but it's nice to have them just in case. Here is the process for obtaining the permits from outside of Thailand:

1 - Obtain all necessary vaccination records, health certificates, microchip info, etc...

2 - Download and fill out Form No 1/1, found here.

3 - Call AQS at Suvarnabhumi Airport and let them know your situation. They will tell you to fax Form 1/1 along with all health certificates and other documents. It is a good idea to include a cover letter indicating your flight number, exact time and date of arrival, and details of the animals you plan to bring. Make sure to include your email address!

4 - Fax all of the above to: +66 2134 3640.

5 - Wait 5-7 days to receive your import permit by email.

Fifteen days isn't necessarily needed, but I would suggest you give yourself at least ten days. It helps to have someone who can speak fluent Thai also.

Is there a new fax number? The number 'doesn't work' when I tried to fax from Kinkos and Office Max in the US: I used 011-66-2134-3640

• 3 weeks later...

I fully understand about all the documentation requirements etc. however what I'm not so sure about is if animals are quarantined as routine for a minimum of 30 days or only if they feel it necessary. Reading one of the posts I assume the animal wasn't quarantined at all. Can anyone please confirm that they are only quarantined if concers are raised.

I fully understand about all the documentation requirements etc. however what I'm not so sure about is if animals are quarantined as routine for a minimum of 30 days or only if they feel it necessary. Reading one of the posts I assume the animal wasn't quarantined at all. Can anyone please confirm that they are only quarantined if concers are raised.

In the almost 17 years I'm in Thailand I never heard of one pet animal being quarantined upon arrival. As long as the paperwork is all in order and the animal is healthy, I don't think you need to worry about that. :)