Importing A Pet Into Thailand

Thanks for the info Jay,

so now i'm at a bit of confusion as to what to do about the rabies vaccination. we dont have a huge rabies problem up here and so its been 3 years since their last booster. i plan on taking them in next month for a checkup, but dont want to have to take them back 2 weeks before we travel. was your rabies vac done within or outside of what the BKK airport vet said? was it a problem? did you happen to get a USDA certificate as someone mentioned/recommended?

good info about the critters, we got none of those creatures up here and i hope the cats adapt well. is frontline readily available in LOS? again fleas and ticks arent big here, but one of the cats did have earmits when she was a kitten (pound kitty). vet gave us i think frontline and cleared them out with no problems. never had to do anything else, no flea collars or dips or fronline, but i do want something when their over there.

the cats are too finicky, regular continuous dry food always set out, then in the evening i crack open a can of the wet stuff. i see they have falang cat food at tesco and big-c, but its alot more than the local stuff, they'll need to change their diet and hopefully lose a little of that alaska weight.

Again thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info Jay,

so now i'm at a bit of confusion as to what to do about the rabies vaccination. we dont have a huge rabies problem up here and so its been 3 years since their last booster. i plan on taking them in next month for a checkup, but dont want to have to take them back 2 weeks before we travel. was your rabies vac done within or outside of what the BKK airport vet said? was it a problem? did you happen to get a USDA certificate as someone mentioned/recommended?

good info about the critters, we got none of those creatures up here and i hope the cats adapt well. is frontline readily available in LOS? again fleas and ticks arent big here, but one of the cats did have earmits when she was a kitten (pound kitty). vet gave us i think frontline and cleared them out with no problems. never had to do anything else, no flea collars or dips or fronline, but i do want something when their over there.

the cats are too finicky, regular continuous dry food always set out, then in the evening i crack open a can of the wet stuff. i see they have falang cat food at tesco and big-c, but its alot more than the local stuff, they'll need to change their diet and hopefully lose a little of that alaska weight.

Airport vet officer did review all shot records and documents and noticed the cat's rabies shot was given 25 days before arriving in Thailand. Said it should be within 21 days of arrival, but close enough I guess, he let it go.

We came out of the middle east so not familiar with US/Euro requirements. Frankly, the airline was the pain in the neck while the Thai Government wasn't a problem at all.

Frontline readily available here. Where we live, ticks are common, always pulling them off the dogs but never had one on the cat (yet).

Thanks for the info Jay,

Airport vet officer did review all shot records and documents and noticed the cat's rabies shot was given 25 days before arriving in Thailand. Said it should be within 21 days of arrival, but close enough I guess, he let it go.

We came out of the middle east so not familiar with US/Euro requirements. Frankly, the airline was the pain in the neck while the Thai Government wasn't a problem at all.

Frontline readily available here. Where we live, ticks are common, always pulling them off the dogs but never had one on the cat (yet).

Thanks Jay, I'll ask my Vet what we should do about the rabies shot. did the BKK airport vet wave the wand checking for a chip? the older cat doesnt have one.

Edited by Casual1

Thanks for the info Jay,

Thanks Jay, I'll ask my Vet what we should do about the rabies shot. did the BKK airport vet wave the wand checking for a chip? the older cat doesnt have one.

I don't see on the Thai AQS website where chips are required at all.

Just asked the wife and she said the Thai airport vet officer never asked/mentioned it. From my observation through the window, he checked the export and import docs, verified cat's shots were up to date, and visually checked the cat for general health appearance and disposition without removing cat from the travel cage. Honestly, the whole airport vet process seemed a fairly benign formality but it was nice to let my wife deal with them, I stayed outside guarding the suitcases on the cart.

J

I don't see on the Thai AQS website where chips are required at all.

Just asked the wife and she said the Thai airport vet officer never asked/mentioned it. From my observation through the window, he checked the export and import docs, verified cat's shots were up to date, and visually checked the cat for general health appearance and disposition without removing cat from the travel cage. Honestly, the whole airport vet process seemed a fairly benign formality but it was nice to let my wife deal with them, I stayed outside guarding the suitcases on the cart.

J

Thanks for the info Jay, i"ll up date as i make progress.

Anyone with a location map/link of where the Animal Quarantine Station at Suvarn Airport is exactly located?

I received the following directions via email from AQS and they are pretty much accurate:

Loacation Of quarantine stations : Office in the Free zone area, Custom export clearance building (CE-1), 1st Flr., Racha Thewa in Bang Phli distict, Samut Prakan Provice 10540

- From Bangkok take the Motorway (New Bangkok-Chon Buri Highway no.7) to Suvarnbhumi Airport

- See the left sign Cargo follow the direction to Cargo

- Keer to the right lane until you reach the traffic lights at the Free zone area (Cargo) trafiic intersection

- Turn right to Entrance No.1

- Keep the parking pass proceed staright for approximately 50 meters

- The Customs Export Clearance Building (CE-1) in ahead on the left

So you just park by that first building which is about 50 meters in from the entrance gate, and then go in the first door. You will find yourself in a hallway-- turn to the left and the AQS office you start in in the last one at the end of the hall.

We did our export exam there in August and I stayed with my dogs for the exam and everything. I did ask the vet about chip requirements, and he said they are not required on the Thai side. After the exam, went into the adjoining office to pay the fee. Got there right when they opened on a Thursday and there was one lady in front of me with a dog. I was done and on the way home 45 minutes later with both of my dogs.

It was a pretty painless process to get them out of Thailand-- went to AQS 3 days before departure. Brought all of our documents (they copied what they needed since I hadn't brought enough)-- total cost was 100 baht/dog. Flew Korean Air to Chicago and had no problems. Check-in with Korean was easy enough-- just showed all of the documents and paid US$200/dog. Arrival in Chicago was also painless-- the customs guy just looked at the same paperwork and let us through, no charges.

We will be returning with our dogs in January (weather permitting), and I'm hoping the return process is just as painless. Although it does sound like it will be a bit more expensive with the USDA paperwork fees and the 1,000 baht/animal fee when we leave the "Things to Declare" section.

• 1 month later...

Just wrting an update, here's what AQS said about the rabies vacine:

--------------------------------------------------------

AQS

I will be importing my 2 domestic house cats in February 2014 from the USA and need a some clarification on when they need to have their rabies vacination administered. They currently have their yearly booster good until 5 December 2013 and they are scheduled to have it again at this time. Reading your website, it says the rabies vacination need to be "not less than 21 days prior to departure". Will this vacination on 5 December 2013 be ok to enter Thailand on 4 February 2014? Or do I need to have the vacination given no sooner than 11 January 2014.

Thank you for your help,

Dear Sir/Madam,

If take vaccination on 5 December 2013, no need vaccinated 21 days prior to departure.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------

So i was gonna take them in and have their check ups done in early Dec, but the Vet informed me that the international health certificate was only good for 30 days, so we postpones until 6 Jan 2014 (today).

Exams completed, all shots up to date, i sent a copy of the international health certificate, each rabies vaccination, and each 1/1 import permit application to AQS along with a note describing what i am seekng. I did not get the USDA endorsment. I got a reply back from AQS asking for a copy of my passport and a photo of each cat. I complied and recieved an email stating that the import permits will be sent to me by emal within 20 days.

looks like I'm all set for the trip, I'll update once i recieve the permits.

thanks to everyone for the useful info on this thread thumbsup.gif ...again, this is MY experience, others may have different experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the Thai permits today (17 days from submittal) along with instructions about where to go, how much i have to pay (100 baht per cat), and required documents. 12 days until we travel. I'll update once i get to Thailand.

Right on! Hope your trip over goes well. Cheers, J.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it !!!

26 hours and alls well, the cats were a little pissed, but they're coming around now and settling in.

So the only issue i had was at animal control at the airport. i never got the US FDA stamp or medical certificate. i was "counseled" by the thai guy about how important it was to have a "government" certificate. i said i thought i had what was needed as i had a state of Alaska health certificate, but he said no, needed a US government certificate. but he let me go, just took an extra 10 minutes of "counseling".

So all paid up, 100 baht per cat at the animal control, told to go see the customs people on my way out. there the customs guy told me it would be 1000 baht import fee per cat, said i only had to pay one time and could bring the cats back and forth as many times now without paying again, said just show my receipts.

so here's a re-cap of my process and required documents:

Taiwan transit permit - 2 months prior

Reserved space with the airlines - 2 months prior (they needed total weight and carrier dimensions)

Vet certificate, rabies, and distemper vaccinations - 1 month prior (get a US FDA certificate also)

Thai import permit - 1 month prior

100 baht per pet at Animal control

1000 baht per pet at customs

went to the local vet and got some frontline for the cats, the wifes dog had some ticks so got him a shot, total bill was 700 baht

Again thanks Jay and to everyone for the info, should have listened to the post about the FDA certificate.

Made it !!!

26 hours and alls well, the cats were a little pissed, but they're coming around now and settling in.

So the only issue i had was at animal control at the airport. i never got the US FDA stamp or medical certificate. i was "counseled" by the thai guy about how important it was to have a "government" certificate. i said i thought i had what was needed as i had a state of Alaska health certificate, but he said no, needed a US government certificate. but he let me go, just took an extra 10 minutes of "counseling".

So all paid up, 100 baht per cat at the animal control, told to go see the customs people on my way out. there the customs guy told me it would be 1000 baht import fee per cat, said i only had to pay one time and could bring the cats back and forth as many times now without paying again, said just show my receipts.

so here's a re-cap of my process and required documents:

Taiwan transit permit - 2 months prior

Reserved space with the airlines - 2 months prior (they needed total weight and carrier dimensions)

Vet certificate, rabies, and distemper vaccinations - 1 month prior (get a US FDA certificate also)

Thai import permit - 1 month prior

100 baht per pet at Animal control

1000 baht per pet at customs

went to the local vet and got some frontline for the cats, the wifes dog had some ticks so got him a shot, total bill was 700 baht

Again thanks Jay and to everyone for the info, should have listened to the post about the FDA certificate.

Sawasdee Khrup, kitty kitty. Welcome to Thailand! wai.gif

Bummer you got nicked for 1,000 by customs but at least that's the going rate others have mentioned. Well worth it to have your fur person around to enjoy life with you.

Cheers,

J

• 3 months later...

I am moving from the US to Bangkok in July with my two Brussels Griffons. This move was really unexpected, and one of my dogs will only be 11 weeks old at the time of travel. This makes her too young to receive her rabies vaccination before we leave, but she will have two rounds of puppy shots. I know in other countries they waive the rabies certificate requirement for dogs under 12 weeks of age, but I can't find any information on Thailand's policy. I have left numerous messages and sent several emails to the DLD, but have not received a response. We are flying Korean Airlines straight through, and they are waiving the rabies vaccination requirement due to age. The USDA health certificate will state she is too young for the rabies vaccine. Does anyone know what I can expect if I show up in Thai customs without the certificate? Thanks for your help!

I am moving from the US to Bangkok in July with my two Brussels Griffons. This move was really unexpected, and one of my dogs will only be 11 weeks old at the time of travel. This makes her too young to receive her rabies vaccination before we leave, but she will have two rounds of puppy shots. I know in other countries they waive the rabies certificate requirement for dogs under 12 weeks of age, but I can't find any information on Thailand's policy. I have left numerous messages and sent several emails to the DLD, but have not received a response. We are flying Korean Airlines straight through, and they are waiving the rabies vaccination requirement due to age. The USDA health certificate will state she is too young for the rabies vaccine. Does anyone know what I can expect if I show up in Thai customs without the certificate? Thanks for your help!

Although I haven't brought a pet in from the US, my sense of the Thai vet at the Bangkok airport was laid back, not really looking to create a bunch of technical issues out of nothing, long as you've got the import cert and other docs organized. I was a bit anxious going into this process and expected a hassle because I had goofed my cat's shots, but it ended up being anti-climax, and off we went.

Edit to add: Are you using this email address? It was valid but it has been over a year since we used it. [email protected]

Edited by 55Jay

Although I haven't brought a pet in from the US, my sense of the Thai vet at the Bangkok airport was laid back, not really looking to create a bunch of technical issues out of nothing, long as you've got the import cert and other docs organized. I was a bit anxious going into this process and expected a hassle because I had goofed my cat's shots, but it ended up being anti-climax, and off we went.

Edit to add: Are you using this email address? It was valid but it has been over a year since we used it. [email protected]

55Jay, thank you for your response. It is helpful to know you got through okay even with a few goofs. Yes, I did email the address you asked about. I emailed several times, actually, as has my vet. We have still heard nothing from them, but I was able to purchase the import certificate from a pet relocation company for a few dollars. I did find the Thai Rabies Act B.E. 2535 that states all domesticated animals must be vaccinated at 12 weeks of age. I have printed that page out from the Thai Red Cross Society . Hopefully that will give me some leverage if there is a problem in customs.

55Jay, thank you for your response. It is helpful to know you got through okay even with a few goofs. Yes, I did email the address you asked about. I emailed several times, actually, as has my vet. We have still heard nothing from them, but I was able to purchase the import certificate from a pet relocation company for a few dollars. I did find the Thai Rabies Act B.E. 2535 that states all domesticated animals must be vaccinated at 12 weeks of age. I have printed that page out from the Thai Red Cross Society . Hopefully that will give me some leverage if there is a problem in customs.

I'm no expert but just reviewed the reqs on the Thai DLD website. Regarding rabies vaccs, it does say animals need to come from a country rabies free for the past 12 months OR be vaccinated within 21 days of arrival in Thailand.

I found a CDC article that says US was declared rabies free in 2007.

Seems like you would be covered there, and with the age exception.

I think you'll be just fine. Good luck on the trip over.

Since they are purebreds have u thought to ask the thai kennel club or breed club or group breed club for ideas...? As breeders do bring in pups. ..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I will be transiting through Bangkok airport on 17 September. We are staying for 1 day and then heading to Vientiane Lao PDR the next day. I have contacted the AQS and received a reply from the Mr. Anusorn, a Vet for the AQS there. Although I am able to complete all that is asked for a transit permit, I was not given an application form R 1/1. Anyone has a copy of this and can forward it to me? I have an old one that someone used in 2008 but I am not sure if that form is still usable.

Thanks for the help

Phong

Hi All,

I will be transiting through Bangkok airport on 17 September. We are staying for 1 day and then heading to Vientiane Lao PDR the next day. I have contacted the AQS and received a reply from the Mr. Anusorn, a Vet for the AQS there. Although I am able to complete all that is asked for a transit permit, I was not given an application form R 1/1. Anyone has a copy of this and can forward it to me? I have an old one that someone used in 2008 but I am not sure if that form is still usable.

Thanks for the help

Phong

They recently changed their website. Here's the new url:

http://aqi.dld.go.th/th/images/stories/document/form-movement/form-r1-1.pdf

Hi All,

Thanks for the help

Phong

They recently changed their website. Here's the new url:

THANK YOU sooo much. I have been trying to get the form using all sorts of imaginative and unimaginative ways.

• 1 month later...

Hey!

I want to travel with my dog to Thailand, I have vaccinated her and are waiting for the days to pass by 21 days, so now that it says that I need a Import Permit and I can't find any Links to that or what number to phone.

Thanks for the help

Noni

Hey!

I want to travel with my dog to Thailand, I have vaccinated her and are waiting for the days to pass by 21 days, so now that it says that I need a Import Permit and I can't find any Links to that or what number to phone.

Thanks for the help

Noni

Here are the links:

http://aqi.dld.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=297:importation-of-live-animals&catid=80:kmresearch-&Itemid=123

• 2 months later...

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips so far, and for the new URL. The old one was driving me crazy and none of the government websites or blogs redirected to the new one.

Can someone quote their email/import application that they sent to the AQS? I have sent multiple emails to: [email protected] but they never seem to reply and I am getting nervous.

Thank you everyone for the helpful tips so far, and for the new URL. The old one was driving me crazy and none of the government websites or blogs redirected to the new one.

Can someone quote their email/import application that they sent to the AQS? I have sent multiple emails to: [email protected] but they never seem to reply and I am getting nervous.

Have you tried to call them?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes but we had trouble communicating, I'll be calling again once I get in contact with a friend that speaks Thai.

For those that have filled out the form, how did you fill in the part that says "quarantine at"?

Yes but we had trouble communicating, I'll be calling again once I get in contact with a friend that speaks Thai.

For those that have filled out the form, how did you fill in the part that says "quarantine at"?

Keep in mind, Thailand just went though a long holiday period. They could be working through a long queue of emails. I would try it again and if you have a Thai lang person handy, try the ping email in Thai. Not necessary but we started with them in Thai but the final sending of the permit and instructions was all in English.

On the "Quarantine At", we put a dash line. No entry.

Edited by 55Jay

• 2 weeks later...

We called almost two weeks ago, they said they would reply to my email the next day.

Still haven't received anything, so I sent the email again but this time with a Thai title that I got from Google Translate since my Thai friend is very busy. Thought I wouldnt be able to make much sense if I did the whole email in Thai.

We'll have to see how it goes; my flight is next Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

hi again. i echo bina's suggestions and add a couple of my own. per my experiences bringing my dog from the US to Thailand and back (two times), I had very little trouble. I would suggest avoiding United Airlines at all costs. Also, don't send the dog without you on the same flight...sometimes shippers will do this for you. I suggest against it, because if you care about your dog enough to bring it with you around the world, you should definitely ensure you are with him/her at every moment you can be.

I used EVA Air on my way into Thailand the first time (June 2002) and they were great. We went from Newark to Seattle for a 1 hour layover. My wife and I were waiting in terminal so we could get back on...just talking...it was about 1:00 am or so. A baggage handler walked by us and says "Are you Emma's parents?" (Emma is the name of our dog) and we said "Yes" and she went on and on about how the handlers were talking to her and giving her a refill of water and that they made sure she was away from the loud noises during the layover. The reasons she knew that Emma was our dog was because, as we have read in the past, it is advisable to put pictures of you (the traveller) and your dog on the top of the crate with a note...something like "Hi, I'm Emma and this is my first time flying...so I might cry a little...but don't worry...it's just because I miss my parents"...something like that. This serves two purposes. 1) it makes sure that if your dog is able to get out of the crate (this is almost impossible these days) there is a photographic record on the crate of whom is the owner (so they can notify you) and 2) so that it explains your dogs experience with flying. The baggage handlers will get to know you and your dog by reading it, and may treat him/her better when loading him/her on the flight. It worked for us and is highly recommended. Just go to Office Max or some office store and have them color copy your photos and laminate them. Then get double-sided tape and some crazy glue (to ensure it won't come off) and affix them right on the top of the crate. Easy.

When I went back to the US (a year later), I went on EVA again, and in Taiwan (layover) coming down the jetway to board the plane again (onto San Fran) a baggage handler was running down saying "who has the dog?" and my wife and I said "We do". He is holding a bottle of water asking "Is it ok if she has bottled water?". It made me feel at ease and happy knowing that the attendents were paying attention to this...because as we know...on these flights..you need a lot of fluids. A word about the flight attendents though. When you get on the flight, it is advised that you ask the attendent to check if your dog has gotten on the flight too (this is very important). On EVA, the attendents would always say "Oh, I'm sure she's on." Well, she was...but they were not checking to be sure. This could be read either that they definitely know that their service is so great that they are sure the dog got on, or that they could care less. I think they are confident in their service...but it made me a little uneasy. Nevertheless, they came through.

Now, when I came back to Thailand in August of 2003, I had gotten a job with a US gov't agency. I was only allowed to fly a US carrier (United or Northwest). United had the better frequent flyer mileage plan...so I went with them. When we boarded (again in NY) the flight attendent was very helpful and checked with the pilot to make sure the belly of the plane where my dog was of the correct temperature and that he would monitor it thoughout the flight. She was a dog lover and gave us updates throughout the flight. Well, when we finally got to BKK, her water dish was empty and she was panting and crying loudly like crazy. I've never heard her like this at all in the 5 years we had had her (she usually doesn't cry at all when in pain). Since she had already made 2 long haul flights with no problem on EVA, also in the summertime both times....I presume that either the cabin she was in was either too hot, or she did not get water in her dish (in the crate) as was told to me. Either way, if you can fly a non-US carrier, go with EVA...great service, great seats...and they take care of your pet.

Hope this helps!

The reasons she knew that Emma was our dog was because, as we have read in the past, it is advisable to put pictures of you (the traveller) and your dog on the top of the crate with a note

When I went back to the US (a year later), I went on EVA again, and in Taiwan (layover) coming down the jetway to board the plane again (onto San Fran) a baggage handler was running down saying "who has the dog?" and my wife and I said "We do".

Excellent posting, and great ideas. Many years ago, I flew with my guy and made sure I had a fluorescent sign with a letter of the alphabet stuck to the top of his cage. As I entered the plane, I gave a note directed to the first officer (not pilot, as they're usually busier) indicating my seat number, and asking that someone report the letter on the dog's cage to me. It was politely written, with an explanation, and when an attendant came to my seat with the letter written on my note, I was very much relieved and ensured. On another flight, when it didn't happen, I did not have a pleasant journey, although it turned out okay in the end.

As for water, I found that one of the best ways to ensure there's water for a long journey, is to freeze a dish of water or plastic bottle and put that into the cage just before leaving. As it melts, there's water for the dog, and it won't spill if there's turbulence.