Lost foreign tourists in Khao Yai forest found

webfact

Lost Tourists in Khao Yai Forest Found
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee
Staff Reporter

14525825361452582571l.jpg
Officials board a helicopter this morning in the operation to search for the two tourists in Khao Yai National Park.

PRACHINBURI — Two foreign tourists who went missing in Khao Yai National Park last night were found safe and sound this afternoon, an official said.

More than 100 people were involved in the search for the two women before they were found near a waterfall at around 12.52pm today, said Kanchit Srinoppawan, director of Khao Yai National Park.

“They are exhausted and hungry,” Kanchit said, adding that the two tourists are not injured.

One of the tourists is a Polish national. The nationality of the other tourist is not immediately clear.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1452582536

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-12

.....wonder who put out the distress call....

...and how much they are going to charge the foreigners....

If you had read the article you would have been informed that the tourists used their mobile phone.

Which then makes me ask .......

Why do they need 100 people to search when their mobile phone would locate them to within 20m?

(Either through triangulation using the phone towers, or the GPS co-ordinates on their phone)

Please lets not have anyone suggesting that a 24 year old woman didn't have a smart phone.

Why do they need 100 people to search when their mobile phone would locate them to within 20m?

Because 100 Thai people and a helicopter makes for great selfies on your Facebook pages...

Off-topic, last time someone got lost in the (small) national park in Phuket, just me (police volunteer) and the park ranger went out in the night to find them in the pouring rain and darkness - no selfies either.

I was all for waiting until the morning because the lost tourists were French coffee1.gif

Using cell phone to locate their location would take the postive publicity and showmanship out of the picture. The parks do

have too much to brag about, what with encroachment, missing fees collected, poaching, cutting timber, etc

Another department left to plunder what they could from the taxpayer with little accountability until recently.

Polish Tourists Rescued after Getting Lost in Khao Yai National Park

PRACHIN BURI – Two Polish tourists were located and rescued by a large search team after they lost their way while venturing into the forest in Khao Yai national park on Monday.

Over 100 forest rangers and volunteers were mobilized to search for the two missing tourists Monday morning after they called the park chief, Mr Kanchit Srinoppawan, from their cell phone.

Kanchit said he received a telephone call from the foreign tourists about 10pm on Monday. He said they were completely lost, somewhere in the jungle of the national park.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/polish-tourists-rescued-after-getting-lost-in-khao-yai-national-park.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-13

If you had read the article you would have been informed that the tourists used their mobile phone.

Each of the 100 wanted their share of the reward money.

Polish Tourists Rescued after Getting Lost in Khao Yai National Park

PRACHIN BURI – Two Polish tourists were located and rescued by a large search team after they lost their way while venturing into the forest in Khao Yai national park on Monday.

Over 100 forest rangers and volunteers were mobilized to search for the two missing tourists Monday morning after they called the park chief, Mr Kanchit Srinoppawan, from their cell phone.

Kanchit said he received a telephone call from the foreign tourists about 10pm on Monday. He said they were completely lost, somewhere in the jungle of the national park.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/polish-tourists-rescued-after-getting-lost-in-khao-yai-national-park.html

crt.png

-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-13

Lucky, they had the park chief's phone number smile.png

At the risk of being howled at by the pro-feminists, these women were foolhardy to go walkabout in such a lonely and potentially hazardous environment. They were lucky they lost nothing more precious than their way.

Don't people bother to acquaint themselves with the dangers inherent in a visit to this violent and misogynistic country before rushing to confront them? All it takes is a quick Google.

PS: Prior to posting, I asked my Thai wife, without any prompting, what she thought of the falang babes in the wood. Her reply: "Bah!" (Thai for "crazy" in case there's anybody out there who doesn't already know the word).

Up in the Mae Wong national park in Khampaeng Phet province where I live you pay a fee to enter and that gets you as far as the main camp. If you want to go further in the park you fill in a form with all your details and you are logged out on the way up to Chong Yen via the guard post just outside the base camp.

The base camp is in touch with the Chong Yen camp and AFAIK you report to the rangers there. If you are missing then a search will be started to look for you. It is probably the same in most national parks.

Having said that there is a national park on the route 12 between Phitsanulok and Khon Kaen where you can just stop on the main road and walk into the park with no notification. It is easy to get lost in the jungle and never be found especially in the very thick parts.

(Either through triangulation using the phone towers, or the GPS co-ordinates on their phone)

Please lets not have anyone suggesting that a 24 year old woman didn't have a smart phone.

I use a very old flip top cell phone that does not have any gps or wifi features, voice and text only. Yes one can triangulate using cell phone towers but it is not done instantenously. One has to work with the cell phone companies. I doubt Thailand has lines of communication that can coordinate that very quickly with available engineers

I use a very old flip top cell phone that does not have any gps or wifi features, voice and text only. Yes one can triangulate using cell phone towers but it is not done instantenously. One has to work with the cell phone companies. I doubt Thailand has lines of communication that can coordinate that very quickly with available engineers

From the Khaosod article "Mobile phone network provider AIS also was asked to help locate the tourists. "

Interesting to know how thry happen to have the chiefs number........and any pics of these 2 chics to see what they might have been up to ?

Well one has a beard.

Reports above are quite incorrect.

A series of photos with article in The Nation identifies them as being a man from Finland and woman from Poland who went into the park Saturday January 9. Got lost, two nights till they were able to get cellphone coverage.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Lost-tourist-pair-found-near-Khao-Yai-waterfall-30276746.html

Ever seen a 24 year old female tourist without a smart phone?

Let me get this straight...

This woman is a "forestry expert".

But she didn't know enough to carry a handheld GPS unit?

If you have a handheld GPS, you set a WAYPOINT at your camp, so no matter where you go, you can find your way back.

Of course, you might be separated from your destination by a raging river or deep canyon, but you can work around those issues, 555

<insert joke about Polish ethnicity here>

Archived