Officials to mandate international driving licence for foreigners

snoop1130

Officials to mandate international driving licence for foreigners
Sukawin Tanthavanich

post-249866-0-22218800-1452776211_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Officials will soon require all foreign drivers on Phuket's roads to be in possession of an international driving licence, confirmed Phuket Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat on Tuesday.

In an effort to protect tourists, renters and business owners, as well as to lower road accidents and fatalities, Vice Governor Chokdee established a committee whose aim is to help monitor the rental vehicle industry.

The vice governor’s first initiative will be to mandate all renters to possess an international driver’s licence, as well as to fill out rental forms that will be sent to relevant city officials.

The Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office has been put in charge of overseeing the current and new regulations regarding rental procedures.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Officials-mandate-international-driving-licence-foreigners/62874?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-14

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea, and I'm amazed they've never thought of it before. No IDP, no hire.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

Been lots of posts here on Thaivisa about whether an IDP is required here in Thailand. I've always thought an IDP is a legal requirement, others disagree and say the home DL is legal enough. This new directive seems to clear up ths now old debate.

Other countries have it right...be able to drive on a foreign licence for 2-3 months, but then a local licence must be gotten. I used my IDP for a year when I got here then just converted my foreign licence/IDP to a Thai one. It's so long ago, I don't even remember if my IDP was a requirement here. I know lots of other foreigners just getting around on their foreign licence and have not heard of any issues.

Are they renting bike to people with no licences at all? Or they must have a foreign licence?

<snip>

Are they renting bike to people with no licences at all? Or they must have a foreign licence?

They don't care if they rent to someone with a valid IDP. They just want to hold the passport as security against all damage to the bike or vehicle.

I really can't see this being enforced as the rental guys will loose almost all of their business. There is no law or mandate to enforce this on the vehicle owners. The onus/liability is always on the driver.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

It really doesnt matter what type of licence people hold. Perhaps people renting scooters should at least have a car licence, as that is the norm in a lot of countries...being able to drive a small scooter (not a big bike) on a car licence.

And then what the people renting the bikes could do is send the customers down to the nearest police station as soon as they rent their bike, and have them pay 300-400 Baht and watch a video on Thai road rules, and then get a temporary Thai licence. Its a win win for everyone.

The renter gets to tell everyone a story about how he went in a Thai police station, plus they get a souvenir to take home, some laminated piece of junk

The person renting the bike doesnt have to fart arse around and bend rules and still make their money

The government gets free money from all these tourists

The tourists actually get some idea of what the hell goes on with the Thai roads (Keep left at all times, your not in Europe now)

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

Don't think an IDP is valid for more than 6 months here in Thailand, after that you must apply for a Thai DL.

But I must admit it's all as clear as mud ...

There is no such thing as an International Drivers License it is an International Drivers Permit.

Or do they mean you must have a home country drivers license which is of course international as it relates to Thailand? smile.png

The IDP (International Driving Permit) supports the home country DL ..

Been lots of posts here on Thaivisa about whether an IDP is required here in Thailand. I've always thought an IDP is a legal requirement, others disagree and say the home DL is legal enough. This new directive seems to clear up ths now old debate.

It doesn't clear up that debate, this is the Vice Governor of Phuket decreeing what will be required for those renting vehicles in Phuket, not the whole of Thailand.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence.

Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid. ei a car driving licence doesn't cover motorbike or scooter.

Travel insurance will be invalid if you don't hold the correct licence

One time I was stopped on Rama 4 during a routin traffic, thing.

I only had my California Driver's License and it was expired.

The officer looked at it once and gave it back to me and no questions.

Other time was when I was in Pattaya riding a rental motorbike and an officer asked to see my license. I showed him, and he did the same.

Gave it back.

I guess, Traffic Officers, when they see your drivers license, even though it is from a foriegn country they figure you can drive.

I don't know how other countries do it, but here in the USA, one can go, and I have done this to the local AAA auto club office. You get the International Driver's License there. But all it is is a paper document with your passport style photos in it, and the document just certifies that you have a valid USA State Isssued Driver's license. The document is only good for one year. Is there some way to get a longer term or different type of International Driver's License?

Thanks

I don't know how other countries do it, but here in the USA, one can go, and I have done this to the local AAA auto club office. You get the International Driver's License there. But all it is is a paper document with your passport style photos in it, and the document just certifies that you have a valid USA State Isssued Driver's license. The document is only good for one year. Is there some way to get a longer term or different type of International Driver's License?

Thanks

It's the same in Denmark. Just go to City Hall or similar and present your license.

10 mins. later you have an a5 IDP paper document.

But just like in the U.S., it's only valid for a year.

Thanks

It's the same in Denmark. Just go to City Hall or similar and present your license.

10 mins. later you have an a5 IDP paper document.

But just like in the U.S., it's only valid for a year.

Similar in UK: apply to the AA or RAC or designated Post Offices with copies of UK licence, Passport.

IDP lasts 1 year, may be postdated for up to 3 months.

Clearly stated that it is ONLY a support document to a full UK licence. This information was current as of December 2015 when I got my latest one.

Just over 2 years ago, I was stopped in Chiang Mai while riding my nephew's motorbike. I produced my UK DL and IDP. Polis could not read English and turned them upside down in an effort to decipher them before giving them back and waving me away.

What is the point of having the correct documents if a Polis Sgt. cannot recognize them?

my brother came over last year so i asked my insurance company could he drive my car on my insurance, they told me it was fine as long as he had a international drivers permit from his home country so that he was legally insured in case of an accident. you can rent anything here on a mickey mouse licence and get around police check points but if you have a accident and dont have the correct paperwork its going to cost you,

Archived