Officials to mandate international driving licence for foreigners

snoop1130

So if a tourist goes to Phuket for a 3-4 holiday and want to rent a 125 cc motorcycle they need to have IDP ? They would need to apply in their home country ? Cost to do is more the the rental. Then if they come the next next, they need to apply again .....

I'm thinking it will not happen.

In the US the cost is $10 or $12 and the price of a passport sized photo. A quick visit to the local AAA office and you are on your way. If I was planning a vacation half way around the world, I would think that this part would be an easy no brainer.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<snip>

Are they renting bike to people with no licences at all? Or they must have a foreign licence?

They don't care if they rent to someone with a valid IDP. They just want to hold the passport as security against all damage to the bike or vehicle.

I really can't see this being enforced as the rental guys will loose almost all of their business. There is no law or mandate to enforce this on the vehicle owners. The onus/liability is always on the driver.

Changing traffic law enforcement should be done at country level by Land Transport Office and Royal Thai Police not a Provincial Governor. Sure, every country is free to decide if they would require the IDP or not. In many countries the IDP is a requirement for the first 3 months then you must get a local license. It is supposed to be like that in Thailand but the rules is not enforced by the police at the moment.

Good idea, and I'm amazed they've never thought of it before. No IDP, no hire.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

You can't use an IDP long term here. After 6months continuous stay you have to get a Thai license. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. This is from a legal standpoint, the reality is that I doubt the cops will check how long you've been here to see if your IDP is valid.

In the UK it costs £10 and is valid for 1year. It only permits you to drive though I believe for 3 months in another country. I have been stopped just outside Chiang Mai and asked for licence and handed them my British one and they have said no good....Have to have International one...so handed over that one..Not happy bunnies..but had to wave me on my way...twice that's happened now....it makes you laugh though as many have said what about the locals..what's a licence !! And as for passing a test...mm yes okay and let's not get onto the thousands of kids of god knows what age driving motorbikes with 3 and 4 on them everyday

Been lots of posts here on Thaivisa about whether an IDP is required here in Thailand. I've always thought an IDP is a legal requirement, others disagree and say the home DL is legal enough. This new directive seems to clear up ths now old debate.

Wrong!!! The most police men accept a national driving license. I believe they don't know what you show they or what is the different between a national and IDP.

But to drive in Thailand you need a INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE!!!

Only tourists from ASEAN countries can drive with a national driving license.

All other is complete nonsense!!!

Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office require it also for Thai Driving license.

http://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

A valid Europe licence is all you need in Thailand to drive if your a tourist, same as a valid thai licence if you drive in the UK.

All part of some Vieanna agreement I believe Thailand and western countries signed up to.

Not so. Your national drivers license is required along with what's called an International Drivers License, which is a booklet with your DL translation to various languages. That's the valid combination for tourists; residents are required to have a Thai DL - and to get that without all the tests, you need to produce your national DL along with the IDL.

I am a Non-Imm OA and went to Phuket licence centre in December to convert my home country car DL into a Thai one and was told "come back February 8"; another foreign guy there at same time who wanted to rent a car and wanted a Thai licence was told the same​. So I've not driven a car since (I don't have a IDP) and just stick to the bike for which I have a Thai licence. So I'm looking forward to what happens when I return on Feb 8...

A valid Europe licence is all you need in Thailand to drive if your a tourist, same as a valid thai licence if you drive in the UK.

All part of some Vieanna agreement I believe Thailand and western countries signed up to.

You tell that to the cop that stops you when you produce only your home country licence. They'll fine you unless you produce an IDL. That's the fact, I'm not sure what the actual law is.

I was under the impression that a Foreign licence was accepted without an IDP provided it was in English (i.e. UK, US, Oz, Canada, etc.) Non English required an IDP (since an IDP included an English translation).

Whatever, I always got an IDP before I "converted" to a local Thai licence.

But I agree with most of comments that it won't actually improve the driving standards here..

how can i get an International car drivers licence or permit what ever here in Thailand??

Yes I have a valid Home drivers licence?

Not the internet scam one as advertised??

Fly back to your home country and apply for it!!! ;-)

But it's much easier to male a Thai driving license.

Not so. Your national drivers license is required along with what's called an International Drivers License, which is a booklet with your DL translation to various languages. That's the valid combination for tourists; residents are required to have a Thai DL - and to get that without all the tests, you need to produce your national DL along with the IDL.

I did not have an IDL when I converted my Australian drivers license to a Thai drivers license.

https://www.massrmv.com/rmv/dmanual/appendixA.pdf

The 1949 road traffic convention, of which Thailand is a signee. Therefore all that is needed to drive as a visitor is your resident country's valid driving permit/license

Thank you for that information, but the reality is that if you produce only your home driving licence and not an IDL the police will fine you. I must try to get a copy of that document in Thai, for the use of friends without Thai driving licences. My advice is to get a Thai driving licence as soon as you are possibly able to.

Thailand never ratified the current convention on international driving permits - only the original one of 1948. A little known effect of this is that IDPs are only legally valid in Thailand for 3 months even tho they may be issued for 12 months. Police are unaware of this but some savvy Thai iinsurance companies are. One of them told me they would not honour a claim if I was driving on an IDP issued more than 3 months earlier.

That's why I upgraded to a lifetime Thai licence but that's another story.

The main oint seems to be that most tourists who motor bikes don't have any type of motor bike licence or experience of driving them even in a much safer road system than Thailand. Renters should be heavily fined for renting bikes to customers without motor bike licences but that generate into another bribery deal.

Been lots of posts here on Thaivisa about whether an IDP is required here in Thailand. I've always thought an IDP is a legal requirement, others disagree and say the home DL is legal enough. This new directive seems to clear up ths now old debate.

On Phuket at least,police in the arse of end of nowhere will be totally oblivious to any change as its a Phuket only thing.

Why not roll it out nationwide ?

Every day, it seems, Thailand gets less like the freewheeling, happy-go-lucky Land of Smiles we all grew to know and love and more like the tight-arsed, bureaucratic Western gulags we escaped from.

Almost starting to wish I'd stayed home!

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

One time I was stopped on Rama 4 during a routin traffic, thing.

I only had my California Driver's License and it was expired.

The officer looked at it once and gave it back to me and no questions.

Other time was when I was in Pattaya riding a rental motorbike and an officer asked to see my license. I showed him, and he did the same.

Gave it back.

I guess, Traffic Officers, when they see your drivers license, even though it is from a foriegn country they figure you can drive.

I got stopped about a month ago at a Nai Harn sweep that had about 15-20 traffic cops - five of them at the pay desk - and I had to pay $15 for not having a proper class D motor cycle license from the states. I had a valid MV car license - class A. They now know that a USA motor cycle license must be a class D and there were at least a few officers who spoke English. They were stopping motorists on both sides of the road and there were about 20 riders - mostly driving motor cycles - waiting around being checked out and preparing to pay whatever fine was imposed. I've been stopped a few times before in the past 7 years here - I only moved here in October though - and it seems now that the police are getting more serious. They were very polite, even joking around - of course the city was raking it in - but we were on our way quickly. One of the officers smilingly said "you can go now" and waved his hand toward Nai Harn center where we had intended to go and spend the usual $30-$40 at a restaurant. Instead, I turned the bike around with my wife on it and went back home to Rawai Beach. Haven't returned to Nai Harn since that day. I suspect a lot of other foreigners caught in that trap might have acted similarly.

One time I was stopped on Rama 4 during a routin traffic, thing.

I only had my California Driver's License and it was expired.

The officer looked at it once and gave it back to me and no questions.

Other time was when I was in Pattaya riding a rental motorbike and an officer asked to see my license. I showed him, and he did the same.

Gave it back.

I guess, Traffic Officers, when they see your drivers license, even though it is from a foriegn country they figure you can drive.

I got stopped about a month ago at a Nai Harn sweep that had about 15-20 traffic cops - five of them at the pay desk - and I had to pay $15 for not having a proper class D motor cycle license from the states. I had a valid MV car license - class A. They now know that a USA motor cycle license must be a class D and there were at least a few officers who spoke English. They were stopping motorists on both sides of the road and there were about 20 riders - mostly driving motor cycles - waiting around being checked out and preparing to pay whatever fine was imposed. I've been stopped a few times before in the past 7 years here - I only moved here in October though - and it seems now that the police are getting more serious. They were very polite, even joking around - of course the city was raking it in - but we were on our way quickly. One of the officers smilingly said "you can go now" and waved his hand toward Nai Harn center where we had intended to go and spend the usual $30-$40 at a restaurant. Instead, I turned the bike around with my wife on it and went back home to Rawai Beach. Haven't returned to Nai Harn since that day. I suspect a lot of other foreigners caught in that trap might have acted similarly.

Why it just go and get the proper Thai license?

Other countries have it right...be able to drive on a foreign licence for 2-3 months, but then a local licence must be gotten. I used my IDP for a year when I got here then just converted my foreign licence/IDP to a Thai one. It's so long ago, I don't even remember if my IDP was a requirement here. I know lots of other foreigners just getting around on their foreign licence and have not heard of any issues.

Are they renting bike to people with no licences at all? Or they must have a foreign licence?

I have been driving here for more than 5 years. I only have an Australian license. Have been stopped only 3 times and on 2 occassions was was waved on when showing my license. Once was given a ticket and paid a 400bht fine at the local police station. I intend getting a Thai license which will then not be a problem. It's not the farangs who are a problem on the roads whose license driving tests are are lot better than here to get a license. It's the locals who are not taught properly and have a complete disregard for the rules of the road and safe driving and the enormous number that drive without licenses and know that a couple of hundred baht paid to the police if they get pulled up will see them on their way

Where do you get an IDP in Thailand?

My wife gets hers the same place she got her Thai drivers' license. The officials here in Trat want to see her passport, Thai ID, Thai drivers' license, a medical certificate and give them two passport photos. The medical certificate is not required when I get my IDP every year in the States.

And how exactly does this help traffic and driving problems in Thailand? I wasn't aware that there were large numbers of foreigners getting into accidents here, but perhaps I missed the story and the data analysis.

Indeed. It seems like about 99.9999% of accidents involve some lunatic Thai driver at the wheel, and then usually a minivan, SUV or bus.

Last night's accident on the way to Sukothai where a Mexican was driving is a rarity.

Wrong!!! The most police men accept a national driving license. I believe they don't know what you show they or what is the different between a national and IDP.

But to drive in Thailand you need a INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE!!!

Only tourists from ASEAN countries can drive with a national driving license.

All other is complete nonsense!!!

Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office require it also for Thai Driving license.

http://phuketdir.com/pkttransport/

There is no such thing as an 'International Driving Licence'. Before I had a Thai Licence I had my UK driving licence translated into Thai and certified, always better received than a IDP and made it a lot easier to get a Thai Licence when I applied. The licencing centre made it quite plain that the IDP wasn't worth the money it took to print it.

Meanwhile Thai citizans can go to there local driving/licence centre watch an hour long movie , shout out the colours of the stop light and show that they can use a break peddle before getting into a car and showing they can drive 20 meters and park up the vehicle , and before anyone says that I am talking rubbish I have actually witnessed this last year at the office on Koh Samui. The driving test in Thailand is an absolute joke , how many times do you see traffic overtaking when there is a solid yellow line down the middle of the road or someone driving or riding the opposite way in a one way street !!!!!

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

An IDL is valid for the duration of the drivers license used to obtain the IDL. I think IDLs are only issued in the country of origin of your drivers license, and hence would be of no use in the country it was issued in. I had to get mine through the USA.

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

An IDL is valid for the duration of the drivers license used to obtain the IDL. I think IDLs are only issued in the country of origin of your drivers license, and hence would be of no use in the country it was issued in. I had to get mine through the USA.

A UK issued International driving permit is valid for only one year from issue.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

Cheers.

how can i get an International car drivers licence or permit what ever here in Thailand??

Yes I have a valid Home drivers licence?

Not the internet scam one as advertised??

If you are a Brit you can apply by post to tha AA or RAC.

I think other countries also have similar facilities.

You can also buy from the internet, very expensive and I am not sure they are legal.

Archived