Officials to mandate international driving licence for foreigners

snoop1130

This is so inane. An IDP does nothing more than translate your national license to 10 different languages and none of these languages is Thai. Therefore, having an IDP does not make Thai roads any safer by a long shot and never will.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the main reason for an IDP is that it ensures the holder has a current licence in their own country.

As far as being anything of a special nature and being able to curb road accidents and the like, I fail to see the difference it would make.

In Aus, one gets the IDP at the RACQ (Royal Auto Club Qld) or other states have similar.

Not issued by the Government which was a bit of a surprise to me.

But then again , for Aus$39, I doubt any Gov department would turn on their computer for you.

Link to the RACQ issue has details for many worldwide countries requirements and i thought it may be useful to some out there.

Look at download for .... AAA International Handbook for Motorists.pdf ....in the first part the page

http://www.racq.com.au/travel/holiday-preparation/international-driving-permits

Cheers ...Jorgo

Note that Thailand it is a requirement.

Good idea, and I'm amazed they've never thought of it before. No IDP, no hire.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence.

Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid. ei a car driving licence doesn't cover motorbike or scooter.

Travel insurance will be invalid if you don't hold the correct licence

Thank god someone else on here knows the rule - i got fed up with writing the facts about IDPs a long time ago ! 12 months VALIDITY, 3 months LEGALITY - remember that if you want to be 100% covered. They were designed for Tourism, NOT residence.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

An IDL is valid for the duration of the drivers license used to obtain the IDL. I think IDLs are only issued in the country of origin of your drivers license, and hence would be of no use in the country it was issued in. I had to get mine through the USA.

A UK issued International driving permit is valid for only one year from issue.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

Cheers.

VALID and LEGAL being two very different things, The IDP is LEGAL for 3 months the last time i looked at Thai law. You'll never encounter a problem unless you make a claim on a comprehensive insurance policy though - most BiB couldn't give a monkeys about the fine print. The IDP was created for TOURISTS not EX-PATS.

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

An IDL is valid for the duration of the drivers license used to obtain the IDL. I think IDLs are only issued in the country of origin of your drivers license, and hence would be of no use in the country it was issued in. I had to get mine through the USA.

There are no real IDL valid for more than one year if the Country issuing the license follow Geneva Convention on Road Traffic 1949

Apparently the main reason for an IDP is that it ensures the holder has a current licence in their own country.

As far as being anything of a special nature and being able to curb road accidents and the like, I fail to see the difference it would make.

In Aus, one gets the IDP at the RACQ (Royal Auto Club Qld) or other states have similar.

Not issued by the Government which was a bit of a surprise to me.

But then again , for Aus$39, I doubt any Gov department would turn on their computer for you.

Link to the RACQ issue has details for many worldwide countries requirements and i thought it may be useful to some out there.

Look at download for .... AAA International Handbook for Motorists.pdf ....in the first part the page

http://www.racq.com.au/travel/holiday-preparation/international-driving-permits

Cheers ...Jorgo

Note that Thailand it is a requirement.

nice comment that first sentence. So many driving a bike without ever rding one back home. And then here in Thailand? not a good idea at all. no license , no insurance, no experience.....at least then they know what they are allowed to drive.

It really doesnt matter what type of licence people hold. Perhaps people renting scooters should at least have a car licence, as that is the norm in a lot of countries...being able to drive a small scooter (not a big bike) on a car licence.

And then what the people renting the bikes could do is send the customers down to the nearest police station as soon as they rent their bike, and have them pay 300-400 Baht and watch a video on Thai road rules, and then get a temporary Thai licence. Its a win win for everyone.

The renter gets to tell everyone a story about how he went in a Thai police station, plus they get a souvenir to take home, some laminated piece of junk

The person renting the bike doesnt have to fart arse around and bend rules and still make their money

The government gets free money from all these tourists

The tourists actually get some idea of what the hell goes on with the Thai roads (Keep left at all times, your not in Europe now)

We already drive on the left.

And how exactly does this help traffic and driving problems in Thailand? I wasn't aware that there were large numbers of foreigners getting into accidents here, but perhaps I missed the story and the data analysis.

Yup, another smart(?) solution to Thailand's road toll - OMG how sad. Always addressing the peripheral areas of problems - never to deal with the real issues. sad.png

In Australia you need to have a separate endorsement on your licence to ride a motorcycle.

I have endorsement for Cars, Motorbikes and Heavy Vehicles. Everything except articulated vehicles.

Also a forklift license.

This would vary from country to country. I have a Myanmar license only lets me drive vehicles up to 3 tons. motorbikes included.

Ok so the IDP being systemised is an explanation of what your home country allows you to drive. And the IDP is standardised across the world.

But I dont understand why they let people without a motorcycle license or endorsement drive a motorcycle in Thailand. Motorbikes take a lot more skill than a car to drive and they should not be assumed skills but tested skills.

I think he is meaning something like that. A check to see if someone has the skills necessary to drive a vehicle. The details are a little vague though.

In Australia you need to have a separate endorsement on your licence to ride a motorcycle.

I have endorsement for Cars, Motorbikes and Heavy Vehicles. Everything except articulated vehicles.

Also a forklift license.

This would vary from country to country. I have a Myanmar license only lets me drive vehicles up to 3 tons. motorbikes included.

Ok so the IDP being systemised is an explanation of what your home country allows you to drive. And the IDP is standardised across the world.

But I dont understand why they let people without a motorcycle license or endorsement drive a motorcycle in Thailand. Motorbikes take a lot more skill than a car to drive and they should not be assumed skills but tested skills.

I think he is meaning something like that. A check to see if someone has the skills necessary to drive a vehicle. The details are a little vague though.

Same in the Uk, endorsement in a single license for various vehicle types. In the Uk the IDP will show the endorsement types. I doubt many tourists have a m/bike license so even if they have an IDP then it will not be endorsed for a m/bike. But I doubt the Thai plods would notice that...

Respectively, a good implementation measure for the Thai Govt for foreigners but what really needs to be addressed is driving improvements for Thais.

Other than in BKK (major cities) Thais really don't need a DL and if caught a cash transfer of $1-200 TBH will resolve the issue.

Other than pointing the vehicle/motorcycle in a given direction, rules/regulations are not needed/required to be known.

How often do you see 4-5 Thais on a motorcycle or a vehicle driving through a red light while in the left lane?

Interesting idea, I fail to see how this will make any impression on the accidents figures in Thailand though?.

Holders of American, Australian and British licences have to pass a very strict test to get it.

It would make more sense to introduce a US/European type driving test for all Thai nationals, and those coming up for a renewal should be made to take this test. This should apply to all the public service and heavy goods vehicle licences as well.

Any foreigner with a valid licence from his home country can apply for an International licence, no problem.

saai.gif

If these "officials" actually enforce this so-called "mandate," then the 90-plus percent of tourists who arrive without an international "driving licence" (actually "license") and the renters of motorbikes and cars will be the ones who suffer. Thus, this will never work and will soon be long forgotten.

What about foreigners holding Thai driving licenses? It reads ALL Foreign Drivers...

Exactly - needs some clarification about foreigners holding Thai DLs. I can only assume that a Thai DL is acceptable ... ??

The obvious reference is to people renting cars and motocycles, who are almost always tourists, who may not have obtained an IDP before their trip. Foreign residents who have obtained Thai driving licenses are surely exempt.

Interesting idea, I fail to see how this will make any impression on the accidents figures in Thailand though?.

Holders of American, Australian and British licences have to pass a very strict test to get it.

It would make more sense to introduce a US/European type driving test for all Thai nationals, and those coming up for a renewal should be made to take this test. This should apply to all the public service and heavy goods vehicle licences as well.

Any foreigner with a valid licence from his home country can apply for an International licence, no problem.

saai.gif

Many Chinese riding motorbikes here, all without a cloud how to ride one.

Yes, it makes sense to make sure only people with a valid license drive a vehicle.

A valid Europe licence is all you need in Thailand to drive if your a tourist, same as a valid thai licence if you drive in the UK.

All part of some Vieanna agreement I believe Thailand and western countries signed up to.

As with many things here, it all depends on the officer officer on the scene. Sometimes your home country's license is fine. Other times it's not. Welcome to Thailand.

It's not only about the police, it's about the insurance in case of an accident which was your fault.

So drivers with an IDL who stay here longer then 3 months in row are not insured. Then you need a visarun for the insurance to be valid again i guess.

Archived