Officials to mandate international driving licence for foreigners

snoop1130

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of posts banging on about licensing and the BiB.

Let's say this is enforced, and ALL motorbike renters are licensed, and therefore legal, alcohol aside.

With Phuket having amongst the most dangerous roads in the world, that leaves a lot of travel insurance companies picking up the bill for Phuket not having proper public transport.

These companies may then issue an exclusion for riding on Phuket, whether licensed, or not, due to the high numbers of claims coming from accidents on Phuket, thus, leaving ALL tourists on bikes here uninsured in the future.

Just a thought.

Good idea, and I'm amazed they've never thought of it before. No IDP, no hire.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

I don't know how other countries do it, but here in the USA, one can go, and I have done this to the local AAA auto club office. You get the International Driver's License there. But all it is is a paper document with your passport style photos in it, and the document just certifies that you have a valid USA State Isssued Driver's license. The document is only good for one year. Is there some way to get a longer term or different type of International Driver's License?

Thanks

It's the same in Denmark. Just go to City Hall or similar and present your license.

10 mins. later you have an a5 IDP paper document.

But just like in the U.S., it's only valid for a year.

Similar in UK: apply to the AA or RAC or designated Post Offices with copies of UK licence, Passport.

IDP lasts 1 year, may be postdated for up to 3 months.

Clearly stated that it is ONLY a support document to a full UK licence. This information was current as of December 2015 when I got my latest one.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering what the poster meant by saying he had one for 6 years. Did he have one that was valid for a 6 year duration or did he mean he kept getting one over a six year period?

There is NO such global authority - those of you who claim to have these sorry but you have been scammed (unless there is a private country-to-corp agreement governing said license:-))

euh agreements between governments with the aim of exchanging legal documents??? maybe?? you don't need a universal authority to have universal rules right?

I've read some of these comments and yes they should own a licence. But I really do think that thailand need to look at their own people driving on the the roads. Most have just paid money for one or just don't have one. Most accidents are because of the way thai people drive over here. Im sure I don't have to give evidence of this.

All these posts about making sure the rental companies have insurance etc, it won't cut down the accident rate etc, the standards of driving here, there, anywhere I don't think have anything to do with what is being suggested.

All I read from it is, If someone from another country comes to Phuket on holiday and wants to rent a car or bike they should/must have an IDP issued in their own country that proves they have a licence from their own country that allows them to drive/ride the rented vehicle.

What is so difficult about it?

No licence at home means no licence here. What makes people/idiots think they can rent a car/bike in Thailand when they can't at home and possibly kill me or you because they cant control the the vehicle they rent.

Roads everywhere now are not for pleasure driving, with a very few exceptions, they are a means of moving people in vehicles from A to B as quickly as possible.

Without doubt the vast majority of unlicensed holiday vehicle renters don't know what they are getting into and probably have been drinking as well.

I would love to see the statistics on injured (unlicensed) holiday makers who have to borrow or beg for assistance, financial or otherwise after having an accident, here or anywhere outside their own country.

Two situations.

1. Drunk, no licence, accident, needs cash to pay hospital and flight home.

2. Sober pedestrian holiday maker hit by unlicensed drunk holiday maker on a bike.

Which one would you put your hand in your pocket for ?

IDL onlly valid for 3 months in thailland. After that, have an accident and insurance co wont pay out.

So if you go for a visarun they start counting 3 months again for the IDL i guess.

I always hear it takes many hours of waiting and frustration to get a Thai DL.

Correct, leave the country, come back and 3 months starts again.

I keep my original IDP (issued in Canada) in the glove box. It has been expired for about 8 years. Every time I get pulled over in one of the many road check points I just hand it to the cop who looks at it as if it were a three headed monkey, hands it back to me and says "go". Duh.

And what happens if you get into an accident, or, heaven forbid, kill or injure someone?

Then he is bankrupted and goes to the monkey house. One born every minute.

I've only just sent off my IDP renewal today. Had one for six years ever since I started riding a motorbike.

Only had to show it once, the cop just glanced at it (there's no Thai on it) and gave it straight back and let me go.

an IDP is only valid for one year and is not valid in the country it is issued in. Sounds as if you might have a phony one

An IDL is valid for the duration of the drivers license used to obtain the IDL. I think IDLs are only issued in the country of origin of your drivers license, and hence would be of no use in the country it was issued in. I had to get mine through the USA.

So much misinformation, yes, IDL if valid for 12 months, but not Legal in Thailand after 3 months. Cops may not care, but, the insurance co. must definitely will. A friend with a IDL,been here 5 months, killed a girl in a traffic accident, insurance refused to pay out, he didnt have 1 million to compensate the family, got 15 years in monkey house.

Ride on fools.

Couple points that after all these pages have not been mentioned

In western countries when you rent a motor vehicle, insurance is normally offered by the rental agency at a nominal fee. Also, most major credit card companies have vehicle insurance as part of card ownership and will protect you if you use card to pay for the rental. I know, I know this is Thailand and cannot use card to rent.

And driving a car or motorcycle on an IDP is permitted as long as the appropriate box is checked on the IDP. There is a separate one for motorcycles and if a home country license holder gets an IDP they do not normally get the motorcycle box checked and ASSUME they can drive a motorbike in Thailand.

The international conventions depend on whether BOTH countries agree to it. Also, there are different ones where different countries agreed.

Perfect example is that Im here in the UAE for work and the country will not allow a Thai license holder to convert to UAE. Where in Thailand I can use the UAE and convert.

I doubt the Phuket governor is aware of all the legalities of what he is speaking about.

IDL onlly valid for 3 months in thailland. After that, have an accident and insurance co wont pay out.

So if you go for a visarun they start counting 3 months again for the IDL i guess.

Yes, correct so long as your IDP remains valid.

I'm not so sure about that.

I would strongly recommend that if living here get a Thai DL.

Given the 'tourist/visitor' must leave Thailand every 90 days then the requirement to obtain a Thai DL is reset. Only the IDP validity comes into play after 3rd return to Thailand without renewing IDP in home country.

For sure those of us on one year extension MUST obtain a Thai DL after 6 months.

This issue is much clouded as to whether on visa status or extension status.

Given the 'tourist/visitor' must leave Thailand every 90 days then the requirement to obtain a Thai DL is reset. Only the IDP validity comes into play after 3rd return to Thailand without renewing IDP in home country.

For sure those of us on one year extension MUST obtain a Thai DL after 6 months.

This issue is much clouded as to whether on visa status or extension status.

Even on visa status and leaving every 90 days, if the foreigner is seen as or deemed as living here a Thai DL would be required.

I would not like to be in the situation where I'd have to prove to a court that I don't live here because I am leaving every 90 days when I am in country around 350 days or so a year.

Even on visa status and leaving every 90 days, if the foreigner is seen as or deemed as living here a Thai DL would be required.

I would not like to be in the situation where I'd have to prove to a court that I don't live here because I am leaving every 90 days when I am in country around 350 days or so a year.

I disagree with that. Only those of us on one year extensions are considered 'living here'. Those leaving every 90 days are considered 'visitors/tourists' and not living here.

//edit// but in Immigration's eyes we are all 'vistors' ..

I disagree with that. Only those of us on one year extensions are considered 'living here'. Those leaving every 90 days are considered 'visitors/tourists' and not living here.

//edit// but in Immigration's eyes we are all 'vistors' ..

That is an interesting point. I asked my US attorney if I was considered a resident of Thailand as I've had an O-A visa and extensions for ten years but also maintain a residence in the US. He told me legally I'm a US resident according to US law. Who knows how Thai law interprets anything. They seem to make it up as they go along, just like this latest "mandate." How can one province make up laws which are supposed to to nation wide? It's not a Phuket driver's license, it's a Thai driver's license...

Although they are talking only about foreign tourists I suppose. But still there are international companies that rent cars here and other provinces... So every province they have an office they must adapt to some local rule?

how can i get an International car drivers licence or permit what ever here in Thailand??

Yes I have a valid Home drivers licence?

Not the internet scam one as advertised??

You can get an international driving permit from the transport department in Bangkok it is valid in most countries except Thailand.

Stupid, just another act of bureaucracy. If you have a foreign driving licence you get an international driving licence automatically for one year. That means you have to apply each year for this stupid document meaning a waste of time and money. This additional bureaucracy will be one more chance to support corruption as bureaucracy is the best nurishment of corruption. Fight both!

Stupid, just another act of bureaucracy. If you have a foreign driving licence you get an international driving licence automatically for one year. That means you have to apply each year for this stupid document meaning a waste of time and money. This additional bureaucracy will be one more chance to support corruption as bureaucracy is the best nurishment of corruption. Fight both!

Or you can do things the right and legal way and get a Thai driver's license.

What about foreigners holding Thai driving licenses? It reads ALL Foreign Drivers...

Exactly - needs some clarification about foreigners holding Thai DLs. I can only assume that a Thai DL is acceptable ... ??

You are right, if I was you, I would fly back to your home country Immediately!! and get an international driving licence, the one you have in Thailand is only nationaltongue.png

What about foreigners holding Thai driving licenses? It reads ALL Foreign Drivers...

Exactly - needs some clarification about foreigners holding Thai DLs. I can only assume that a Thai DL is acceptable ... ??

You are right, if I was you, I would fly back to your home country Immediately!! and get an international driving licence, the one you have in Thailand is only nationaltongue.png

A Thai DL can be used in other countries, for example for renting cars, although not long term. Anyone living here and driving should get a Thai DL.

Archived