scary walking through my village after dark

davetrout

I haven't been out at night before walking that is around my village. The missus reckons to watch out for crazy dogs, I took this advise to lightly. they seem ok during the day a bit of barking when you walk past there home. I went for a beer at a mates home and before i realized it was getting dark so i took off for home to get some grub. I am a bit tippsy and full of dutch courage. Anyway one dog starts yelping at me so i growl back big mistake he starts bolting for me, i did the hundred under ten i reckon. He backed off thank god. I can't believe the locals let them do it. I know now just to walk past and say nothing and they just follow barking at me until i am out of there area. In my home you don't see this behavior from dogs, but this is thailand, another learning curve.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are everywhere...the soi dogs are ok because they are socialized and around people all day....but the dogs on someone's property are dangerous....here in BKK I already know what neighborhoods I cannot walk thru because of this...Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen on the planet and I have been to a lot of places.

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

You shot your neighbours dog and buried it in your garden because you thought it was planning to attack you?

I'm glad you're not my neighbour.

Pick up a stick or rock.

They know what happens next.

I used to pull that trick, it would work on one or two dogs.

There used to be small road I'd walk, I once made the mistake of walking at dusk. As the Op mentioned the dogs became somehow more brave and empowered at this time.

After picking up the stone the dog hesitated but didn't scarper... it was soon joined by another dog, then another... soon there were 5 or 6 dogs.. while I was trying to remain firm and calmly walk on slowly... (I was crapping myself)... these dogs were growling, seething...

Fortunately someone came past on a motorcycle, saw my predicament and pulled up. I didn't need a second invitation to hop on the back.

IMO, I was very close to being attacked, mulled and chewed apart by a load of street dogs which had packed together.

It was an extremely frightening experience.

Reading this has sort of made me hope a pack of rabid soi dogs come and tear you limb from limb 'tough guy', and then ram your 'Bobcat' where the sun don't shine because there is probably room enough for it there.....

More reasons why imbecile 'tough guy' Yanks shouldn't have guns or 'Bobcats.....

OP, buy a nice walking stick, or carve yourself one, and not a hound will you see as you pace through the village of a night......

I can’t believe the locals let you harass their dogs like that. Dogs are supposed to bark at strange drunk guys walking around after dark. It is part of their job description.smile.png

apparenlty it doesn't matter if your drunk, but good try anyway

I can’t believe the locals let you harass their dogs like that. Dogs are supposed to bark at strange drunk guys walking around after dark. It is part of their job description.smile.png

Indeed.

It is strictly forbidden to walk through the village in the dark, didn't you know? cheesy.gif

So many dogs here but no attacks on humans, just barking and maybe approaching you.

Raise your arm, turn towards them and shout at them and off they go.

Its indeed always worth to pickup some stick from the road side to show them.

Problems dogs will be "taken care" by the villagers.

More than one killed/vanished over the years.

There are guys who get their jollies from owning a known dangerous dog. They probably have tiny dks. "Civilized" countries have leash laws where a dog either has to be fenced in or on a leash. They aren't allowed to run free.

Now combine that owner that just has to own a very intimidating dog with the same owner who lets it roam free and you're asking for trouble. Where I come from that dog won't last long. And yes, there are dogs that have viciously attacked people and killed children and maimed adults for life.

It ain't gonna happen to me.

Cheers.

There are guys who get their jollies from owning a known dangerous dog. They probably have tiny dks. "Civilized" countries have leash laws where a dog either has to be fenced in or on a leash. They aren't allowed to run free.

Now combine that owner that just has to own a very intimidating dog with the same owner who lets it roam free and you're asking for trouble. Where I come from that dog won't last long. And yes, there are dogs that have viciously attacked people and killed children and maimed adults for life.

Agreed,

A wild dog on my land, I'll kill it if I can and dispose of the body.

No need for it to attack me, it shouldn't be there, I don't want it's shit.

You want to keep a pet, you keep in on your land.

It ain't gonna happen to me.

yeah,you're a tuff guy...we get it

A friend of mine in NM did the same thing. He had small kids at the time and had repeatedly told the neighbor to keep his dog off his property. The dog kept straying into his yard and he shot it dead. When the police showed up, they kind of just says, "Yep, it is dead, let the neighbor pick it of if he still wants it" and they drove off.

Village dogs are not strays, they are taken care of because they help with security.

In the villages people are usually in bed by 10pm so after dark there are very few people around. Those that do pass through are almost always in a pick up truck or on a bike and they pass by quickly. By walking slowly into the dog's territory you are a potential threat. This is the dog's chance to put you in your place, ie. away from its territory, and almost anyone except those who misunderstand where they are (in a foreign land) understands this.

Furthermore, after dark is the time when dogs own the village. It's not just about protecting territory from suspicious strangers: usually some time between 11pm and midnight the animals of the village, the dogs, buffalo and cockerels will have a mad half hour. This is their time to broadcast across the neighbourhood and be answered by their peers because sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep. Thus there is all manner of howling, mooing and crowing but it usually lasts no more than thirty minutes. Once you understand village life you will know that mad half hour is like a curfew call to all drunken foreigners who have ventured out of their depth.

Archived