scary walking through my village after dark

davetrout

Village dogs are not strays, they are taken care of because they help with security.

In the villages people are usually in bed by 10pm so after dark there are very few people around. Those that do pass through are almost always in a pick up truck or on a bike and they pass by quickly. By walking slowly into the dog's territory you are a potential threat. This is the dog's chance to put you in your place, ie. away from its territory, and almost anyone except those who misunderstand where they are (in a foreign land) understands this.

Furthermore, after dark is the time when dogs own the village. It's not just about protecting territory from suspicious strangers: usually some time between 11pm and midnight the animals of the village, the dogs, buffalo and cockerels will have a mad half hour. This is their time to broadcast across the neighbourhood and be answered by their peers because sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep. Thus there is all manner of howling, mooing and crowing but it usually lasts no more than thirty minutes. Once you understand village life you will know that mad half hour is like a curfew call to all drunken foreigners who have ventured out of their depth.

I think this is nuts. Not you of course, but the village concept.

If I have a dog on my property behind my fence it will alert me to a stranger. It doesn't need to and shouldn't run loose and intimidate people. Some of those people are children. If someone lets a dog run loose and intimidate people on property other than the owner's, it's the owner who is asking for trouble. Unfortunately it's the dog that gets the trouble in the form of a stick or a rock or a bullet.

I have no obligation to put up with being harassed in an intimidating way via someone's else's choice to let that dog run free. What am I supposed to do - wait until the dog bites me before I decide it's dangerous?

I've killed just one dog in my life and if I had it over I'd do it again. I was convinced I was about to get mauled. All other dogs I've encountered I've managed to deal with.

This is without even getting started about dogs that run loose on property where there are sheep or cattle. They have a very short lifespan.

Cheers.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Village dogs are not strays, they are taken care of because they help with security.

In the villages people are usually in bed by 10pm so after dark there are very few people around. Those that do pass through are almost always in a pick up truck or on a bike and they pass by quickly. By walking slowly into the dog's territory you are a potential threat. This is the dog's chance to put you in your place, ie. away from its territory, and almost anyone except those who misunderstand where they are (in a foreign land) understands this.

Furthermore, after dark is the time when dogs own the village. It's not just about protecting territory from suspicious strangers: usually some time between 11pm and midnight the animals of the village, the dogs, buffalo and cockerels will have a mad half hour. This is their time to broadcast across the neighbourhood and be answered by their peers because sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep. Thus there is all manner of howling, mooing and crowing but it usually lasts no more than thirty minutes. Once you understand village life you will know that mad half hour is like a curfew call to all drunken foreigners who have ventured out of their depth.

If I have a dog on my property behind my fence it will alert me to a stranger. It doesn't need to and shouldn't run loose and intimidate people. Some of those people are children. If someone lets a dog run loose and intimidate people on property other than the owner's, it's the owner who is asking for trouble. Unfortunately it's the dog that gets the trouble in the form of a stick or a rock or a bullet.

I have no obligation to put up with being harassed in an intimidating way via someone's else's choice to let that dog run free. What am I supposed to do - wait until the dog bites me before I decide it's dangerous?

I've killed just one dog in my life and if I had it over I'd do it again. I was convinced I was about to get mauled. All other dogs I've encountered I've managed to deal with.

This is without even getting started about dogs that run loose on property where there are sheep or cattle. They have a very short lifespan.

Cheers.

I agree dogs should be restricted and not allowed to use the whole street as their territory and it's even worse that the meathead owner is likely to go on the attack if you try to protect yourself where a dog does more than bark, problem is there are often no walls or fences to keep the dogs in in the first place.

In my experience the homes that have walls around them tend to be owned by Thais who wouldn't dream of letting their dog out on the street because they treat their pets as pets to be petted, they are family members more akin to the Western style and their dogs themselves tend to be more playful than aggressive. They're looked after with no skin diseases and fewer untreated lame legs from being hit by vehicles.

sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep.

what?Yes, when you hear something sound waves lose a bit of energy. When people are asleep they don't hear anything and the sound waves travel further. Also dark air transmit sound better and most people sleep at night.

It is a scientific fact that dark air transmit sound waves better because dark air is more dense than bright (light) air.

Cheers.

My neighbor's two year old daughter was being attacked by a strange pitbull when she played outside the door. I took my car lifter and hit on that biest for quite a long time and got bitten in both arms twice, before the dog stopped.

The owner wanted his dog that way, the pitbull only ate raw and bloody meat, combined with the right training. The brainless skinhead owner walked his dog three weeks later, when the dog wanted to protect his Massa from a driving tractor, attacked the tractor and got under the wheels and squeezed out like a lemon.

Never Sure, I know exactly what you're talking about. Dogs that attack people have to get killed, before they kill a child.

P.S. I really wanted to kill the freaking dog, but these dogs are packed with muscles that you really need a gun. I wish I'd have had one.

It is a scientific fact that dark air transmit sound waves better because dark air is more dense than bright (light) air

.No it isn''t. Sound waves react to air temperature, got nothing to do with dark air or people sleeping.

I can’t believe the locals let you harass their dogs like that. Dogs are supposed to bark at strange drunk guys walking around after dark. It is part of their job description.smile.png

Indeed.

It is strictly forbidden to walk through the village in the dark, didn't you know? cheesy.gif

So many dogs here but no attacks on humans, just barking and maybe approaching you.

Raise your arm, turn towards them and shout at them and off they go.

Its indeed always worth to pickup some stick from the road side to show them.

Problems dogs will be "taken care" by the villagers.

More than one killed/vanished over the years.

That seems to be what the caged in pickup is for, and not only for the small plastic bowl !

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

You shot your neighbours dog and buried it in your garden because you thought it was planning to attack you?

I'm glad you're not my neighbour.

I wish he were my neighbor! He's got a bobcat and a gun, he knows trouble when he sees it, and acts.

Yo, Neighbor. Can I borrow your bobcat? I have my own gun. coffee1.gif

sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep.

what?

Yes, when you hear something sound waves lose a bit of energy. When people are asleep they don't hear anything and the sound waves travel further. Also dark air transmit sound better and most people sleep at night.

It is a scientific fact that dark air transmit sound waves better because dark air is more dense than bright (light) air.

That is correct and the soundtons don't have to compete for space with photons at night.

It is a scientific fact that dark air transmit sound waves better because dark air is more dense than bright (light) air

.No it isn''t. Sound waves react to air temperature, got nothing to do with dark air or people sleeping.

Have you ever noticed how people often close their eyes when they want to listen very careful, for example when listening for the finer details in classic music. They are trying to simulate night conditions.

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

You shot your neighbours dog and buried it in your garden because you thought it was planning to attack you?

I wish he were my neighbor! He's got a bobcat and a gun, he knows trouble when he sees it, and acts.

Yo, Neighbor. Can I borrow your bobcat? I have my own gun. coffee1.gif

You: Yo, Neighbor. Can I borrow your bobcat? I have my own gun. coffee1.gif

NeverSure: Yeah, sure no problem, take it. By the way, have you seen my dog?

You: Doh! Why do you think I need to borrow your bobcat?

Have you ever noticed how people often close their eyes when they want to listen very careful, for example when listening for the finer details in classic music. They are trying to simulate night conditions.

Try googling: 'Why does sound travel better at night'.

A dog blog. I love 'em. Trying to be fair: there are working dogs: sniffer/police/aids-for-the-blind etc. Most others are child substitutes usually in the guardianship of doting 'parents' who see nothing wrong in allowing their pooch to disturb fellow humans' peace; menace or attack innocent passers-by including children. These animals spread disease by pissing/defecating anywhere; they are free to dash under the wheels of motorbikes - I wonder if this is a contributory factor in Thailand's high road fatalities.

Now how to combat it? Obviously it's going to take Thailand's authorities 50 years to catch up with civilised countries. Police are idle and greedy; dog owners are simple and ignorant. Thus the onus falls on the aggrieved party. Carrying a heavy stick is not always practical especially when on a motor bike. Such attacking dogs should not be allowed to live. I leave it up to you to decide the MO. (My dad strangled one with his bare hands after it bit my younger brother's face.)

If possible try to identify the indiscriminate shitter's owner. I believe in the Elvis Presley number - 'Return to Sender'. If the offending owner has a swimming pool, so much the better.

There will be some dog owners' bleat about my comments. Consider a retired guy who puts his money into a house in a quiet area and his neighbours decide to get two neurotic, hysterical dogs. They are the last thing I hear at night & the first thing in the morning. The neighbour complains when there is a ceremony that has bass music going till midnight. This is the true definition of irony.

Try googling: 'Why does sound travel better at night'.

Try googling: Victims of a dog attack after the attack. The girl got attacked by a pitbull and lost an eye.

post-158336-0-86596100-1453003514_thumb.

Getting away from OP and the fact dogs attack and ignoring the speed of sound over dust in a village at night. I have a solution for stopping dogs coming at you.

I bought this torch - see link - It is the most powerful hand torch in the world. It has a 700 foot beam and a single LED. They cost around 40 pounds in the UK on Amazon. It comes with a warning - Do not shine into your eyes - I let it slip once and the beam hit my left eye from about 2 feet just for a fraction of a second. I could not see properly for about 15 mins. There was a 18 inch wide orange ball on my left side that stopped me seeing anything on that side.

When I go out at night and there is a chance I could meet dogs. I carry the torch and I just need to aim it straight at the dog for a couple of seconds. It stops dead in its tracks. They mostly keep barking for a while but don't move. The cannot see for 20 mins and think twice about coming near again.

https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/flashlights/p72/

I also bought one for the GF. I always have one beside my bed at night for power cuts (they still happen) and also if anyone broke in or I felt I was being attacked. I would just have to do the same as I do to dogs - shine the light in the assailants eyes and they will be blinded for a good 20 mins. Simple, no need for guns or getting involved in Ju Jitsu etc.....

Actually, I think he thought it was going to slobber all over him. Nothing worse that a "viscous" attack from a Rotty. Sorry, I just could not help myself.

Getting away from OP and the fact dogs attack and ignoring the speed of sound over dust in a village at night. I have a solution for stopping dogs coming at you.

I bought this torch - see link - It is the most powerful hand torch in the world. It has a 700 foot beam and a single LED. They cost around 40 pounds in the UK on Amazon. It comes with a warning - Do not shine into your eyes - I let it slip once and the beam hit my left eye from about 2 feet just for a fraction of a second. I could not see properly for about 15 mins. There was a 18 inch wide orange ball on my left side that stopped me seeing anything on that side.

When I go out at night and there is a chance I could meet dogs. I carry the torch and I just need to aim it straight at the dog for a couple of seconds. It stops dead in its tracks. They mostly keep barking for a while but don't move. The cannot see for 20 mins and think twice about coming near again.

https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/flashlights/p72/

I also bought one for the GF. I always have one beside my bed at night for power cuts (they still happen) and also if anyone broke in or I felt I was being attacked. I would just have to do the same as I do to dogs - shine the light in the assailants eyes and they will be blinded for a good 20 mins. Simple, no need for guns or getting involved in Ju Jitsu etc.....

And at daytime to can hit the dog with your torch.....thumbsup.gif

If there's a very attractive girl...shine the bright light into her eyes, then follow her and act like you're her husband, but she might feel the "difference" and always wants your service? The torcher....aehh torture never stops. facepalm.gif

Simple advice for anyone living in/visiting Thailand.

1. Never walk alone at night or in any unfamiliar area that isn't full of pedestrians. Do what normal Thais and expats do - drive a car, motorcycle or catch a cab or something. Besides, walking long distances in 32 degree heat often has another unintended consequence particularly for westerners not used to such hot temperatures: heat stroke.

2. Don't taunt, feed or in any other way disturb unfamiliar dogs.

Taken care of?

Underfed scabby mange infested muts.

Most have never seen a vet or had a good dinner in their lives.

It is shameful the way they are neglected.

They are everywhere...the soi dogs are ok because they are socialized and around people all day....but the dogs on someone's property are dangerous....here in BKK I already know what neighborhoods I cannot walk thru because of this...Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen on the planet and I have been to a lot of places.

A lot of places but never in Senegal or Cameroun ...cheesy.gif ;

Here, in Thailand, dogs are friendly if you compare with africaan ones which are often wild animals ;

I remember, a long time ago, it was in 1977 or 78, walking at night , Point E in Dakar , never do that without a large wooden stick .

Archived