scary walking through my village after dark

davetrout

Drunk or not, barking or growling at the dog is a big mistake.

It is a dogs instinct and job to protect the territory of it's "pack" especially at night.

This is why so many people have dogs, as a deterrent to predators.

Running from any aggressive animal is also a mistake.

It is a natural reaction to chase something that is fleeing.

Tis not the dogs, but you who needs to alter your behaviour.

Next time, do not act threatening or aggressive,and don't show any fear.

If you must make noise, talk in a soft, friendly voice.

If the dog is still aggressive, do not turn your back on it.

Turn around and walk backwards, facing the dog until you leave it's territory and it loses interest in you.

Plan #2:

Just stay home at night.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find that marinated liver does the trick. you can easily take out care of the entire soi dog population with a few kg of lovingly prepared liver. I got bitten at the last place I lived, so did a preemptive strike before I moved to this place

Yeah,sure you did.

No really, he did.

Then, right after he posted this, I went over to his house and killed him for killing my dog.

sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep.

what?

Yes, when you hear something sound waves lose a bit of energy. When people are asleep they don't hear anything and the sound waves travel further. Also dark air transmit sound better and most people sleep at night.

Hahaha!! Love it. Nominating you for a "warped logic" mention.

This thread makes me so glad I live in civilisation.

Yep Im not sure what worries me the most the dogs or the people on this thread, tbh i'm leaning towards the people atm :P

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Usually where I come from when a pet dog strays on to a farm it is shot in the leg. After that, it is still alive and can still be someone's pet but it doesn't maim calves or lambs- not quick enough any more

Where I grew up it was similar....any stray dog out amongst the livestock did not go home.

But we are not there anymore.

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

You shot your neighbours dog and buried it in your garden because you thought it was planning to attack you?

I'm glad you're not my neighbour.

I would be happy to have you move in to the neighborhood. My Thai neighbor has made the neighborhood a living hell for about two years with his three barking dogs. All the neighbors have talked to him about the problem. He has told us all to F off, He will do what he wants. I take sleeping pills at night to get some rest. I expect one of the Thai neighbors to handle it with essential 'Thainess' eventually. I hope I am not home when the shooting starts.

OP - bit naive there ? The threat of soi dogs in underdeveloped countries is a world-wide phenomenon. I used to walk miles & miles around town...NOT ANYMORE - and not being safe to walk is just one on my list of reasons for leaving this godawful land for good. (On my to-do list). Anyone who has been in LoS more than a year or two has had close-calls with the canine bustards - so join the club. I hate them - no better than vermin.

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

Last october in the countryside near Kanchanaburi i passed in front a house, in the midst of corn fields, with my motorbike. Owners were there, standing at 5 meters. 2 mid size f...... dogs started chasing me up front when getting close to the house. One of them bit my calf. I continued driving. all that captured on video. People were giggling. I'll put that video online. Had a bit of blood on my leg but nothing serious finally. A week before that, on Koh Phayam island (Buffalo Bay), beachdogs barked quite a lot at the beginning, but were not aggresive. Just never point a flashlight toward them at night. We even became friends after a few days.. Nice ones..

You really have to admire the Yanks on their, kill, kill kill, attitude.

Let's be realistic please folks ?

We're talking about a nation that feels the need to surgically declaw the fearsome beast that is the domestic cat. Makes sense they'd need firearms to defend themselves from a pet dog.

We're talking about a nation that feels the need to surgically declaw the fearsome beast that is the domestic cat. Makes sense they'd need firearms to defend themselves from a pet dog.

People declaw cats that are kept indoors to limit damage to furniture.

People declaw cats that are kept indoors to limit damage to furniture.

You missed the word 'cruel' from the start of that sentence.

You shot your neighbours dog and buried it in your garden because you thought it was planning to attack you?

I'm glad you're not my neighbour.

I wish he was one of mine!

LOL. The same things happened to me last year. I learned not to walk around the 'by myself' at night because of the dogs or to carry a stick. During the day, the dogs in the village cause no harm and stick to themselves. During the night, they have 'dog meetings' as a villager calls it. The way I view it, the dogs in the village serves as a cheap and efficient security system for the locals, and they are feeding/helping another life survive so the locals are happy.

It was a bit of a culture shock, but here in Canada, all the dogs are sheltered, locked up in the house, rarely goes out, and can become vicious towards anyone who enters their properties or even out in public. In British Columbia, this past Christmas, two pit-bulls entered a elderly couple's home where the dogs killed the cat and sent the man to the hospital; follow up news articles indicated the man lost some of his fingers and had to quit work because of the extensive damage to his arms.

When I was growing up in Canada, dogs were allowed to run free during the daytime, but that practice has stopped today.

Pros and cons to how dogs are raised in Thailand versus in a Western country. wink.png

They are everywhere...the soi dogs are ok because they are socialized and around people all day....but the dogs on someone's property are dangerous....here in BKK I already know what neighborhoods I cannot walk thru because of this...Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen on the planet and I have been to a lot of places.

".Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen"

Yep, I have to agree with that.

A few times I've been walking around our village and out of nowhere their dogs come bolting out of the front gate snapping and growling. Usually I just spin round stand form and yell at them to "please vacate the area". The locals think it's hilarious....until a dog continues to advance and gets a swift kick or hit with a short piece of PVC pipe...then, obviously I'm the bad guy.

Worse, recently I was walking with my two and a half year old son. Going past one house that has two usually friendly dogs (towards me at least), the dogs decided that as my son was small enough he was fair game and went straight for him, not just barking, they actually had their teeth out, snarling and came in with their heads twisted sideways to try to get his legs. I may be old, but I scooped him up just in time and managed to kick one of mongrels fair in the face.

Didn't stop the b#stards and they actually jumped up and had another go.

A few people were standing idly by, no use. One mutt got a full kick to the ribs and high tailed it and its friend decided to do the same. It was only after they had gone i saw the owner watching from his from veranda grinning like an idiot. Needless to say he lost a lot of face when all and sundry heard me tell him (in reasonably fluent Thai) he was part of a female's lower body. My boy was screaming so I left , got home and calmed him down. Wifey was peeved and went round to see the owners / witnesses.

The worst: Later that evening I got a visit from the local headman telling us mr female pudendum had complained about me mistreating his dogs and yes, believed I should compensate him for it. So off we went to the meeting house, stopping on the way for Mrs Lopchan to get the witnesses to come along. Long story short: Witnesses backed us up and also laid complaints against the owner saying they had put up with the same thing against their kids for ages..being Thai they hadn't complained..jai yen yen and all that. Headman ordered mr (running out of clean words for the body part) to apologize and asked us what compensation WE wanted. So through gritted teeth and a lot more lost face we got an apology of sorts.

With regard to compensation, my answer was simple: Build a decent fence or destroy the dogs or I would, as by all other reports these mutts always go after kids. And so it was accepted. The other locals thanked us and the missus for sorting the problem out.

We found out two days later, no fence in the offing, dogs running free, did it to a kid on his way home from school ripped his calf up. The kid's father on returning from hospital with his son. Went round to the house with the headman. Shot the dogs and kicked the owner around a bit. For my money should have shot all three.

So yeah, I love Thailand and most of its people. I love dogs and most animals (except spiders which have no reason to exist except to terrorize me) but a lot of Thai people, just like westerners shouldn't be allowed to keep pets.

(Sorry for the long post but still fresh in my mind and making my blood boil)

A couple of times I have found a dead dog in my pond. I don't know if the dogs go there to die or the nieghbours dump them.

It is probably because the dogs were poisoned. If an animal eats rat poison (most types but not all) it develops an unquenchable thirst. It is one of the reasons why rats are not usually found near the actual poison but by water sources instead. Dogs will likewise rush to find something to drink and if your pond is the only source of readily available water they will use that.

I had a similar problem when I first moved out to the village. After about 2 weeks of being chased down the sou wvery night on my motorbike, I had enough. One night I brought back so scraps from my dinner and fed the dogs outside my gate. Problem solved! Since then they run to GREET me whenever they see/hear me approaching. I fed them about once or twice a week. Friends for life.

I had a similar problem when I first moved out to the village. After about 2 weeks of being chased down the sou wvery night on my motorbike, I had enough. One night I brought back so scraps from my dinner and fed the dogs outside my gate. Problem solved! Since then they run to GREET me whenever they see/hear me approaching. I fed them about once or twice a week. Friends for life.

And people on this forum criticize the Thai's for their lack of critical thinking skills ,Every high school kid of average intelligence knows that: Food supply, along with predators and occasionally disease, determine the size of a population.

For anyone of extremely low intelligence, I will simplify

Dogs + food = more dogs

Want me to draw you a picture?

I find that marinated liver does the trick. you can easily take out care of the entire soi dog population with a few kg of lovingly prepared liver. I got bitten at the last place I lived, so did a preemptive strike before I moved to this place

Yeah,sure you did.

No really, he did.

Then, right after he posted this, I went over to his house and killed him for killing my dog.

Louse: I have two preferred brands of marinate, one a weedkiller and the other a rat poison. Interested? By the way, I've done another cull since, and will continue to do them whenever the need arises

Jackson: This post suggests you got the wrong man. Try again, I'm in Phitsanulok if you want to try it away from the keyboard

And people on this forum criticize the Thai's for their lack of critical thinking skills ,Every high school kid of average intelligence knows that: Food supply, along with predators and occasionally disease, determine the size of a population.

For anyone of extremely low intelligence, I will simplify

Dogs + food = more dogs

Want me to draw you a picture?

Maaan, gotta agree with you. Our Siberian Husky seems to have more common sense than the poster does.

Equals: Samong Lucky > Samong Farang d. Of course multiplied by X.

Archived