Huge Fines On Arrival

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

APART FROM WANTING TO MAKE M0NEY AND OR SMOKE YOURSELF TO DEATH WHY WOULD ANYONE BRING IN A LOAD OF FAGS WHEN THEY ARE CHEAPER IN THAILAND ? IN EITHER CASE SEEMS A RISK NOT WORTH TAKING, AFTER ALL BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT ( TAXES ) AND CUSTOMS/POLICE ( CORRUPTION ) YOU HAVE SOME STIFF COMPETION. AS FOR THIS BEING A TEMPORARY THING I SEE IT AS GETTING WORSE ,WHY ? WELL IT WILL BE SEEN AS A GREAT WAY OF RELEIVING THE FARANG OF THERE WELL EARNED EVEN BEFORE THEY HAVE LEFT THE AIRPORT,.IF YOU ARE SMUGGLING ( AND IF YOU ARE OVER ALLOWANCE THATS WHAT IT IS ) BE PREPARED FOR THE CONSIQUENCES WHEN YOU ARE CAUGHT,

STOP SHOUTING! :o

But yes I agree with you.

APART FROM WANTING TO MAKE M0NEY AND OR SMOKE YOURSELF TO DEATH WHY WOULD ANYONE BRING IN A LOAD OF FAGS WHEN THEY ARE CHEAPER IN THAILAND ? IN EITHER CASE SEEMS A RISK NOT WORTH TAKING, AFTER ALL BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT ( TAXES ) AND CUSTOMS/POLICE ( CORRUPTION ) YOU HAVE SOME STIFF COMPETION. AS FOR THIS BEING A TEMPORARY THING I SEE IT AS GETTING WORSE ,WHY ? WELL IT WILL BE SEEN AS A GREAT WAY OF RELEIVING THE FARANG OF THERE WELL EARNED EVEN BEFORE THEY HAVE LEFT THE AIRPORT,.IF YOU ARE SMUGGLING ( AND IF YOU ARE OVER ALLOWANCE THATS WHAT IT IS ) BE PREPARED FOR THE CONSIQUENCES WHEN YOU ARE CAUGHT,

OK, sounds fine. Any proposals how to do legally?

You carry a brand that is not available inThailand. You declare and cannot pay as only the monopoly can import cigs.

STOP SHOUTING! :D

But yes I agree with you.

Agree with both points :o

I had no problems when I came in. I brought 4 rolls of chewing tobacco and I went to the guys at the declare exit. I showed him what I had and how much of it. He asked me why and I told him that they dont sell here and so I brought extra to last me. He asked me if I knew about the limit on tobacco and I told him yes and that is why I came to his line so that I can pay and go. He thanked me for my honesty and told me to have a nice trip and sent me on my way with out paying a dime.

• 1 year later...

"Duty Free Allowance

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

Does anybody ever have any problems with anything other than cigarettes and booze?

Like Customs enforcing the 10,000 baht limit on personal effects?

Geez, my camera alone is worth about 15,000 baht. Sometimes I bring my notebook PC with me too, which is worth about 30,000 baht.

Yeah, I was wondering this too. I'm returning in December for a stint and I'm bringing my laptop as usual as well as the digital camera, iPod, etc. I usually have between 100-200k baht worth of electronics in my carry on when I fly in to BKK between all of this personal use stuff. I've never once had a problem with customs as I'm pretty clearly not smuggling, but I'd hate to think that I might get yanked because some guy didn't make his rent this month.

The only story I've heard though with respect to this mirrors the guy above. A friend brought in a brand new laptop (in the box) and either had it compounded or had to pay duty, I forget. I've never heard of anyone being fined for bringing in their non-new laptops and cameras and what not. Still, it seemed worth asking.

As long as you bring your original invoices (for camera, laptop etc.) with you, there is no problem.

Thousands and thousands of people travel all over the world, including Thailand, with their camera's, laptops etc. on a daily basis.

LaoPo

So when I bring my laptop with me

to Bangkok I will have to carry receipt

that I purchased it before ?

while my laptop is not new it looks it

as it was bought late last year...plus it

was recently fixed with new parts cause of HP

faulty known issue so everything was wiped

off of it...no personal pics or anything left

on it and I read in htis thread someone

was able to prove their laptop was old because of

family pics...seriously organizing this trip is

not as easy as it seems...

• 11 years later...

Lots of warnings about fines and confiscation of undeclared items above legal limits. I have found it impossible, so far, to find out what happens if you have more than the legal limit but declare it. You only need to declare items above the legal limit, right? So what happens? No fine? Just pay the duty and keep it? Any reasonable amount? What's reasonable? Does it get confiscated but no fine? I'd gladly pay the extra duty to bring in a bit more quality pipe tobacco for myself.

There is no vehicle to pay duty on overlimit tobacco or alcohol, there's nice bin to dump it in by the red channel.

You MAY get away with declaring overlimit items, equally you could have the lot confiscated and end up in a world of hurt.

Note that this is an 11 year old thread, and although little has changed it would be best to start a new one.

To avoid confusion I'm going to close this thread.