Huge Fines On Arrival

I heard 2 similar story's in the past 3 months.Both were english tourists who brought their cigarettes from england because they don't like the stuff you can buy here.It wasn't such a high amount as mentioned in this post but both paid a very high fine.Over 100.000 in both cases.Checking arriving passengers seems to be a common thing now.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaking tourists down for fines in excess of the 'official' amount is not uncommon practice and customs is probably the most corrupt institution in Thailand. !

Another practice which is not uncommon is the fabrication of urban legends by gossipy farangs.

VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KKmike

I heard a similar story from a German friend about a year ago from Don Muang Airport. Don't know how much cigaretts but it was a full bag. Catched outside the Airport and had to pay 70000 Baht.

I checked the fine what it would have cost in Germany and found that the fine is just 50% higher then the usual EU fine. So the only surprise is the surprise of the criminal get caught this time.

I absolutely don't understand why people are taking so much alcohol and cigarettes with them. Really i don't understand it.

"Duty Free Allowance

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

Does anybody ever have any problems with anything other than cigarettes and booze?

Like Customs enforcing the 10,000 baht limit on personal effects?

Geez, my camera alone is worth about 15,000 baht. Sometimes I bring my notebook PC with me too, which is worth about 30,000 baht.

I've never stopped and asked about this before, because at Don Muang customs seemed so low key. I always felt like stopping to mention I had those items was like waving a red flag saying "Here's my wallet, come and get it" Has anything changed now?

I mentioned in another topic that a couple of month ago I saw a Korean Couple being checked in the Arrival Hall.

There are Officials from the Excise Department wearing black Jackets with the Logo on the back and looking arriving Passengers in their bags ,note no search , just looking at the openly displayed Duty Free purchase and if more than the limit is visible they are stopped.

This couple were send to the Don Muang Subpolicestation in Terminal 1 and spend at least 2 hours in there.

Should serve us as a warning.

Edited by visarunner

Shaking tourists down for fines in excess of the 'official' amount is not uncommon practice and customs is probably the most corrupt institution in Thailand.

Another practice which is not uncommon is the fabrication of urban legends by gossipy farangs.

It's a fact that there is widespread corruption within the Thai Customs Dept. Whether you like it or not or care to admit it or not. In fact, I have had personal experience of corruption with Customs, have been "shaken down" and I'm a foreigner.

Unfortunately I cannot elaborate on my own personal experience for obvious reasons.

Back on topic though, there was a thread a couple of weeks ago over on the LP forum where some guy was claiming he was arrested outside the airport by Tourist Police for bringing in excess Duty Free. He was also taken to the Police station and excessively fined apparently.

Surely the Tourist Police don't have the authority to enforce Customs regulations outside the airport building???

Hello mate, tis me... :D

For all others, have been wanting to say this for a while, but thounght it Irrelevant..

When I came through last week, I noticed for the first time that it almost seemed EXPECTED to put your luggage through the scanner. I steamed past, ignoring hand-waving customs types. I exited and was quickly up to L4 (dep) for a quick taxi exit.

I had no contaband at all (don't smoke, know everything is cheaper here anyway). I do wonder what was happening to the throng at the customs scanner in retrospect. Certainly DM's relaxed exit is was not! :o

just stick to the law guys. :D

i realy not understand the tread here. :o

yes indeed,....hmmm even in UK the rule is 200 ciggies from Thailand (1 box).

bringing in the amounts stated in the original thread is smuggling and smuggling is an imprisonable offence. totally daft (and contemptuous) to even try it on.

Yes , what about non-cig or alcohol items . Example, i have for my going to thailand 9 cellphones ( GSM) with me for repair . I guess it is impossible to say that they are mine and i'm bringin them inside the country so it could cause a problem or not ???? Also , how about taking sigaettes out Thailand ??? I think this is never a problem , it is only the going in which is , or am i wrong .

My guess is, this just a temporary flare up. Maybe they are a bit short on money for the new airport, and have been instructed to supplement things a bit. Also, maybe some of them are newbs to the whole system, and a bit zealous still. Give them time, they (along with customs officials in most other countries) are too lazy to keep a crackdown on for an extended period of time.

It is an old scam.

You travel via Mid East..Where You can buy UK cigs for

a pound or less. Usually Benson and Hedges.

Then check them through in Your luggage on the way back.

Sell them for four quid each and your up Fifteen hundred UK.

You can be sure Four of them were carrying them in for one

other guy.

There are British guys in Pattaya doing it once a month.

A group of five friends arrived at the new airport two days ago for their well earned one month holiday in Pattaya. Four of them being smokers, and not liking the brands avialable in Thailand decided to bring a reasonable supply of their own cigs from the duty free in England. O.K. 10 sleeves each might be excessive but they were purely for their own use, plus maybe a few packets for me , hopefully.

After being searched the five lads were dutifully wisked away to some police station approx half an hour away where they had all the cigs taken off them and a fine of 3,000 (Three thousand pounds) deducted from their wallets.

Given the choice of pay or go directly to jail (Whether Bluffing or not ) the lads coughed up and after five hours were let go to continue on their journey to Patters.

Another family of four (Man ,wife and two young kids ) were fined 1,000 pounds and not having enough money to continue their holiday got the next flight home.

Could this be another money making scam from the customs. Surley the duty on fifty sleeves of cigs can't be that high. Don't get me wrong, they new they had exeeded the limit but three grand is not a nice way to start your hols.

TIT the land of smiles

Just be carefull lads

3,000 pounds = 209,976 baht :o:D

v v v v v..... TAT must be getting a jump on its 2007 Tourism Slogan below .... v v v v v v v

Edited by sriracha john

One of the customers at my soi 33 local was captured in Aranya with excess fags and was fined PER FAG....... a lot of money, locked up and luckily he had his mobile on him, rang the bar and was released a few hours later.

By coincidence I saw him get off the train in BKK and he was very shaken up.

It seems that the Cambodian pimps will follow you in Poipet and grass on you to Thai customs for a piddling reward.

Be warned.

Listen all you guys quoting comments about the law,and implying these vultures are doing their jobs, they are doing it for their own gain, Pattaya is full of BKK officials "police?" walking into falang bars, planting yes planting thai dvd's, and removing the apparatus, the member of staff,and locking them up !! They are negotiating from 80,000bt downwards, Copyright infringment......... try the cable tv operators.( it's ok to have other copies, but not Thai music.

what is the price for 20/25 sigs in london?? :o

I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that both the airport and Customs are both under intense investigations for rampant corruption and the huge costs involved:

AOT chief clarifies

Airports of Thailand chairman Srisook Chandrangsu has submitted two files clarifying the Suvarnabhumi Airport scandals to the Assets Examination Committee.

Panel studies Customs bribery

The Foreign Trade Department has reacted swiftly to a study alleging rampant bribe-taking at the Commerce Ministry, by ordering an inquiry into the claims. A ministry source said the department had recently set up an investigative board to look into the allegations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What better way to recoup corruption costs than by raping tourist's wallets???

Edited by sriracha john

Is there anybody on board of TV who is willing to report these 'excessive ripp-offs' from Customs to the newspapers ?

It's about time that these 'scams' are published. :o

This is real bad publicity for Thailand since this has nothing to do anymore with 'normal' Customs behaviour!*** :D

*** I mean people who have to pay their duties for bringing in goods they didn't declare. If you're wrong, you're wrong and have to pay the bill.

But these excessive amounts have nothing to do with 'normal Customs behaviour' !

LaoPo :D

Listen all you guys quoting comments about the law,and implying these vultures are doing their jobs, they are doing it for their own gain, Pattaya is full of BKK officials "police?" walking into falang bars, planting yes planting thai dvd's, and removing the apparatus, the member of staff,and locking them up !! They are negotiating from 80,000bt downwards, Copyright infringment......... try the cable tv operators.( it's ok to have other copies, but not Thai music.

Then why dont the owners of the bars go one step above the authorities and install video surveillance? Simply solutions and reasonable cost. :o:D:D

Then why dont the owners of the bars go one step above the authorities and install video surveillance? Simply solutions and reasonable cost. :o:D:D

I miss the point what this has to do with the topic 'Huge fines on Arrival' ? Or maybe the corruption in 'general' ? :D

LaoPo

Yes , what about non-cig or alcohol items . Example, i have for my going to thailand 9 cellphones ( GSM) with me for repair . I guess it is impossible to say that they are mine and i'm bringin them inside the country so it could cause a problem or not ???? Also , how about taking sigaettes out Thailand ??? I think this is never a problem , it is only the going in which is , or am i wrong .

I doubt you would have a problem with bringing "broken" mobile phones into Thailand, although you may have to prove that they are indeed 'not working' which may result in you being delayed at the airport for some time.

I doubt you would have a problem with bringing "broken" mobile phones into Thailand, although you may have to prove that they are indeed 'not working' which may result in you being delayed at the airport for some time.

I find this funny that i travel home at least 4 times a years and have never had any problems at customs. Actually i wonder if their is a connection between either new airport or Removal of the Prime Minister(Shiniwatra spelling?)?? I hope it is fixed right away or this will spread like a nasty cancer! and for all of the people that try to get away with brining in excess please stop so the poor saps like me that live by the rules there don't fall victim to extra checking and scrutiny

This doesnt surprise me in the least - a few years ago I had been working in Malaysia for a while and had taken a lot of clothes down over that time since I used to bring a few items on each trip home to BKK. When I came back I shipped the excess clothes in a cardboard box via cargo - when it arrived I had to pay 3000 baht on top of fees for processing - when I asked, they said it was duty - I explained that they were second hand and had come from my home here in Thailand and they ignored me.

Related note - Australian customs aren't much better - I bought a mate some cigarettes duty free when I went to Sydney and as I was over the limit (by one carton) I had to pay full duty rate on ALL, not just the bit that was over, or lose them all - they would not allow me to return the over-allowance amount to the shop directly behind them where I had just made the purchase - take all and pay, or take none!

Customs around the world can be real female genitalia when they feel like it!

As an ex Australian customes official your note your note regarding Austalian cutoms.

I ask this question - "What is it that people take so much offence when they are caught clearly breaking the laws of the country they are trying to visit???"

I have seen ot all - some examples

- Pommies whining and whinging when they are wearing filthy shoes and Oz customs officals take them away to be cleaned - all when the UK has a foot and mouth outbeak

- Germans with saudages hidden all over their bodies

- African with giant live frogs

.. and of course the inevitable tourists tring to smoggle in a few extra cartons of smokes eetc. etc.

I just don't understand the indignty of people when they are caught red handed breaking the law that's all - obviously the Thai examle is about corrupyion - the people caught were still pretty dumb though.

I

It's a free for all during this settling in period at the new airport. Then again , use common sense when travelling.

1) Didn't the five chaps and the family of 4 call the British Embassy ? Should this not be one of the telephone numbers they must have ?

2) Bring in what is legal and don't save on the customs duties ? What for ?? How much are you really going to save ? Besides, I always tell the misses - if we're on holiday - try to support the local economy. It's not as if there will be a lot left after the holiday.

3) If in doubt, split your purchases two ways - buy it at your boarding point and the other half at King Power.

As an ex Australian customes official your note your note regarding Austalian cutoms.

I ask this question - "What is it that people take so much offence when they are caught clearly breaking the laws of the country they are trying to visit???"

- Pommies whining and whinging when they are wearing filthy shoes and Oz customs officals take them away to be cleaned - all when the UK has a foot and mouth outbeak

.. and of course the inevitable tourists tring to smoggle in a few extra cartons of smokes eetc. etc.

I just don't understand the indignty of people when they are caught red handed breaking the law that's all - obviously the Thai examle is about corrupyion - the people caught were still pretty dumb though.

I

Are you sure you are an ex-Aussie customs official?

This doesnt surprise me in the least - a few years ago I had been working in Malaysia for a while and had taken a lot of clothes down over that time since I used to bring a few items on each trip home to BKK. When I came back I shipped the excess clothes in a cardboard box via cargo - when it arrived I had to pay 3000 baht on top of fees for processing - when I asked, they said it was duty - I explained that they were second hand and had come from my home here in Thailand and they ignored me.

Related note - Australian customs aren't much better - I bought a mate some cigarettes duty free when I went to Sydney and as I was over the limit (by one carton) I had to pay full duty rate on ALL, not just the bit that was over, or lose them all - they would not allow me to return the over-allowance amount to the shop directly behind them where I had just made the purchase - take all and pay, or take none!

Customs around the world can be real female genitalia when they feel like it!

I

Guys and Gals get real all these stories about for personal use and the moaning about Thai Custom officials once again get real.

You are not in your own country so when in Rome (read Thailand) expect the unexpected + some.

Sydmike I support you 110% Oz customs are strict but if you are fair dinkum they treat you so, if you're willing to risk it ok but when caught-out don't whine stand up and be counted. Greer you simply broke the law then ask for leniency - Get a life.

Oz customs air a tv show "Border Search" showing to what extent they will go to catch you - yet people are still willing to run the gauntlent.

Funny how posters are willing to critisize the Thai national (terms that come to mind - lazy, no-brains, etc etc), yet as soon as we have someone doing the job they are employed to do WE ARE OFFENDED.

One last thought Thailand is currently under Martial Law so consider the penalties applied in quoted instances a slap on the wrist - I for one would not like to even think about the penalty or penalties could be applied For Smuggling ???? :o- People have been nabbed entering Oz with fruit they were given on the aircraft :D.

Sydmike thinking of that German Snag and where it may have been concealed - They are off my menu as of now.

Edited by mijan24