“Good guys in, bad guys out”, says Thailand Immigration chief

rooster59

“Good guys in, bad guys out”, says Thailand Immigration chief

post-137452-0-57166900-1452928527_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- “Good guys in, bad guys out” is the message from Pol. Lt. Gen. Nathathorn Prousoontorn, Immigration Bureau Commissioner, as immigration officials prepare to launch its latest crackdown foreign visitors who overstay their visas.

As Thaivisa reported earlier this week, as of 20th March 2016, anyone who overstays in Thailand can expect to be blacklisted and barred from re-entering Thailand.

Ahead of the new regulations, the Immigration Bureau has updated its website overnight, fully detailing the penalties for those who overstay.

The new look Immigration site also includes a visa advice page, complete with a cartoon video which whilst informative, has to be seen to be believed!

Take a look for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2jLvz4zSDM

If you are reading this knowing you are on overstay, it would be advisable to go and sort the issue out before the new regulation begins on 20th March 2016.

tvn.png
-- 2016-01-16

post-137452-0-59941200-1452929006_thumb.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

The Witchfinders General might try to figure out Youtube so the word gets out.

They have the video as "This video is unlisted. Be considerate and think twice before sharing."

Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ISeyqG75I and click the 'Share' link below the video to see what I mean.

The Anonymous hackers must surely be quaking in their boots at this level of IT sophistication.

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

Based on the video alone it sounds like a 5 year ban.

based on the 2 pictures too

Geez. If that turns out to be the case, I wonder what option-B will be, as in how much it'll cost to stay out of the system.

I'm guessing the 500 Baht per day is still in play for people who overstay a few days

That's what I'm thinking, too, despite the option the authorities have. I just can't imagine threatening a tourist with a five year ban for overstaying a week.

Crystal clear. Everyone now knows. No excuses. Let's hope they stick it without fear or favour. This is the perfect, perhaps only, opportunity for those in breach to get legal and stop living in fear of a random stop or a knock on the door.

The poster shown in the background has been posted at Pattaya Immigration for at least a month now already.

Pretty funny video...takeaways:

Only men overstay

It's OK to come to Thailand and comit crimes, like theft, online scams, and ATM card skimming as long as you don't overstay your entry stamp or visa.

Thai immigration officials have curiously Western accents

?

a. It seems to be guys with beards, who are the bad "aliens".

b. Grabbing a few hundred farang, living somewhere, no doubt supporting a family or three, will cure all the serious problems Thailand has. Glad to see the local coppers prioritising. Makes me feel warm and welcome.

So an over stay of less than 90 days does not get you banned?

Not banned in case you "surrender to the authorities" but to be "crystal clear" they would have had to explain what happens if you're a couple days over and stopped on the way to the airport.

Didn't they warn about implementing this one year ago?

coffee1.gif

The difference now is that proposed bans have been approved by the Ministry of Interior, signed of by the cabinet/PM and published in the Gazette, so they will be enforceable from Mar 20th. I think the warning is over!

How about rewards for good guys? How about granting a foreigner who has worked and lived here for more than 10 years, paid taxes, learned the language, invested here, married a Thai, raised a family, etc. in Thailand a citizenship without the need of running through that flimsy and rather questionable process of applying for residency and to then eventually win (and pay 250k for it) the lottery and get citizenship after an undetermined "waiting period"??? Oh wait, that would required logical thinking and empathy for minorities... wrong country... shoite... sad.png

So an over stay of less than 90 days does not get you banned?

Not banned in case you "surrender to the authorities" but to be "crystal clear" they would have had to explain what happens if you're a couple days over and stopped on the way to the airport.

Not unreasonably they probably don't want to go in print on that: if the 500 B fine per day applies (highly likely) they would not want to publicise that as an easy alternative to a regular visa. Hence left unsaid.

Looks like a nice earner for Immigration officers picking up under 90-day overstays who don't surrender.

"OK you have been arrested and, if we prosecute, you are out for 5 years., Now, how much money do you have on you?"

Exactly.

They had to leave the bit where you get stopped by officers murky because that's where the uniforms of all colors make their money.

Meanwhile.....Cambodia begs: "Please ramp up the abuse of Thailand's farangs, so we can have the overflow." Perhaps the most dense, obtuse immigration in the developing world. Someone PLEASE explain to them that you DO NOT grow an economy by abusing your cash cows. tongue.png

Looks like a nice earner for Immigration officers picking up under 90-day overstays who don't surrender.

"OK you have been arrested and, if we prosecute, you are out for 5 years., Now, how much money do you have on you?"

Exactly.

They had to leave the bit where you get stopped by officers murky because that's where the uniforms of all colors make their money.

I'm of a similar mind, and now await the initial stories to surface.

They wouldn't do that would they?

I mean, aren't Immigration part of the Police Force?

Archived