“Good guys in, bad guys out”, says Thailand Immigration chief

rooster59

I remember the time I was on overstay. It was terrible, always worried about whether or not I was going to get caught. Not wanting to travel outside my city for fear of getting caught. Always waiting for the possible knock on the door or random police road check asking for passport, or at a bar and the police coming in. A few times i was stopped at police road checks but thankfully never asked for passport and even a few times at a bar and the police came in and raided it, again thankfully never asked to produce my passport. Terrible feeling.

I cleared up my overstay about 2 years ago and have been sleeping and traveling much better ever since, knowing I am here legally.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is no one else going to mention that they showed the foreigners ( or aliens) in this very informative cartoon here as criminals traveling around the country and ripping people off with various scams and schemes in each location?

I was just about to.

Does anyone now have any doubt about just how they view us?

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

Based on the video alone it sounds like a 5 year ban.

Geez. If that turns out to be the case, I wonder what option-B will be, as in how much it'll cost to stay out of the system.

a lot more then the cost of a visa

People can come across hard times in any country in the world. I wonder how they would react if the arrested someone who was married to a Thai had lost his job or was scammed by a BAD BOY and was struggling to support their 2 kids?

Split up the family and leave the kids with no father for say 10 years until they allow him back in?

Sad state of affairs really that a harmless guy down on his luck can get the same treatment as these scammers out to rob good people.

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

I was at the immigration office the day after this came out (some time last week...don't remember the day) and I asked the officer about what would happen if, say, there was a natural disaster or border closings that caused me to be late by a day or two.

She said it wouldn't be a problem and that you still jut pay the 500 per day, but if you start approaching a 7 day overstay, thing are going to get hairy.

Anyway, that was the info from 1 (high-ranking) immigration official in Isaan.

Crystal clear. Everyone now knows. No excuses. Let's hope they stick it without fear or favour. This is the perfect, perhaps only, opportunity for those in breach to get legal and stop living in fear of a random stop or a knock on the door.

Everyone reading this thread now knows.

The Youtube video (that social media thingy) has the video as UNLISTED, meaning it is not in the public eye.

The only people who can watch it are those with a direct link to it = if you search Youtube or Google for "Thailand Visa Overstay Laws" it will not show up in the search results.

They create this childish video to get the word out and have it as UNLISTED! crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

They are truly rocket scientists.

Seems to be clear!! ---- No matter how long your over stay is!!

** You can leave/depart before March 20th - not on the 20th...

Depart on 19th of March at the latest!! Would assume to your own country and renew your passport if required - apply for whatever visa and return with "NO" problem..

Of course there are the country overstayers that have not or will not get the word until it's too late..

Good Luck...

I was at the immigration office the day after this came out (some time last week...don't remember the day) and I asked the officer about what would happen if, say, there was a natural disaster or border closings that caused me to be late by a day or two.

She said it wouldn't be a problem and that you still jut pay the 500 per day, but if you start approaching a 7 day overstay, thing are going to get hairy.

Anyway, that was the info from 1 (high-ranking) immigration official in Isaan.

Agree.. That an immigration officer saying a 7 day overstay will be a problem.. Was told the same thing.

Just don't know why The Immigration chief does not welcome tourists on a 6 month visa without having to leave the country every 60 days one way to get tourists back to thailand!!

How many genuine tourists visit a country for 6 months?

10s of Thousands?

Gap year students of course, but not only. People who want to make a trial run before possibly moving here. Seasonal workers, many hotel/restaurant owners (including a few friends of mine) work a few months a year and spend the rest in the sun. People who take time off work following an inheritance...etc.

Just don't know why The Immigration chief does not welcome tourists on a 6 month visa without having to leave the country every 60 days one way to get tourists back to thailand!!

How many genuine tourists visit a country for 6 months?

Tourist is an arbitrary designation that really is meant to cover those that are not interested in being employed locally. All the hoops and tests are about weeding out those that may be working illegally..... which is why they ask for type of Employment when you enter. If you are a waitress immigration (most countries) will take a harder look, but if you are wealthy they don't really care (at least in my country) about minor indiscretions like overstaying etc. There is no cap, no queue for people visiting (not working) there but for things like employment there are hard and soft caps on who can and cannot seek employment and in what industries. So strictly enforcing laws on immigration to prevent queue jumpers is only fair, but for those that are not committing crimes or working illegally - it is really should not be such a high priority. I have a friend from Japan that would visit Canada for extended periods of time as a "tourist" - and they really really did not care because she was not working and they knew that her and her family had the means that she had no problems living without working.

The whole affair will be thoroughly corrupted given time ..

That I am 99 percent sure of.

Cheers

Gets labelled a Moron!

reading the headline i thought it was their guys that were being sorted out , you know all the smiley:( happy people that work for this shower of -_-ts

Yes, my thoughts exactly. And I know which ones should be shown the door in Phuket. dry.png

Hint: they've been there over 10 years to my knowledge.

Crystal clear. Everyone now knows. No excuses. Let's hope they stick it without fear or favour. This is the perfect, perhaps only, opportunity for those in breach to get legal and stop living in fear of a random stop or a knock on the door.

Everyone reading this thread now knows.

The Youtube video (that social media thingy) has the video as UNLISTED, meaning it is not in the public eye.

The only people who can watch it are those with a direct link to it = if you search Youtube or Google for "Thailand Visa Overstay Laws" it will not show up in the search results.

They create this childish video to get the word out and have it as UNLISTED! crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

They are truly rocket scientists.

Just googled "Thailand visa overstay laws". You are correct, it does not take you to the video. However it is clearly explained in writing in sites on the first search page. Is writing no longer understood these days?

Well known Boiler room scumbags were caught multiple times, but hey, not only are they still here, their very visible investments in BKK are booming, no problem.... but got forbid a backpacker stays a week too long and is stopped in his mini van.... 5 year ban whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

I'm guessing the 500 Baht per day is still in play for people who overstay a few days

The new Ministerial Order 1/2558 about overstayers being banned from re-entering Thailand for a certain period is separate from, and in addition to, the overstay fine.

People can come across hard times in any country in the world. I wonder how they would react if the arrested someone who was married to a Thai had lost his job or was scammed by a BAD BOY and was struggling to support their 2 kids?

Split up the family and leave the kids with no father for say 10 years until they allow him back in?

Sad state of affairs really that a harmless guy down on his luck can get the same treatment as these scammers out to rob good people.

I agree, sure weed out the riff raff, but please provide some better solution(s) for the people married to a Thai (with kids) living in Thailand wai.gifwai2.gif

We are not terrorists or crooks.

The video seems to depict 'Digital Nomads' travelling about for days over taping on their PC's and talking about how much money they're going to make.

Lieniant laws, I think overstayers should be banned for longer period, 3 years overstay.....give me a break.

I agree, sure weed out the riff raff, but please provide some better solution(s) for the people married to a Thai (with kids) living in Thailand wai.gifwai2.gif

I am one of those people married to a Thai (with kids) living in Thailand.

I have managed to get the proper visa and for the past 8 years extensions of stay based on marriage.

I am employed by a US company and travel extensively, spending perhaps 3 months per year in Thailand.

I have managed to do this...why can others not do the same? Granted, people's situations are different...but how are you people managing to provide for your families here, yet you cannot obtain the proper visa/extension status?

There are various avenues available for "being here", with different requirements as far as reporting/leaving the country/etc.

Not sure if this still holds true but not so long ago I was told by a senior immigration officer that as I have dependents i.e. wife and kids, the only way I would not be allowed into the country is if I spend 1 year or more in jail. That is not likely to happen but it may just throw some light on the issue

Well known Boiler room scumbags were caught multiple times, but hey, not only are they still here, their very visible investments in BKK are booming, no problem.... but got forbid a backpacker stays a week too long and is stopped in his mini van.... 5 year ban whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

It says 90 days over, you should try reading the article

Meanwhile.....Cambodia begs: "Please ramp up the abuse of Thailand's farangs, so we can have the overflow." Perhaps the most dense, obtuse immigration in the developing world. Someone PLEASE explain to them that you DO NOT grow an economy by abusing your cash cows. tongue.png

What "abuse"? All they're asking for is that when your permission to stay in Thailand expires that you leave...what's so extraordinary about that? I mean, even the US is trying to implement this policy now. (And I believe it's the same in Cambodia...that they don't give open-ended entry stamps out upon arrival.)

Archived