“Good guys in, bad guys out”, says Thailand Immigration chief

rooster59

Trying to compare the US or any western country to Thailand is a feat of hubris fully consistent with the Thai mindset. You can't simultaneously have your hand out and bite the hell out of your economic benefactors. Have you checked out the truly enlightened visa terms for those entering Cambodia?? There is at least one book on the market which suggests that Thailand should be concerned about Cambodia. What is overlooked is that you have to understand that you have a problem in order to ADDRESS the problem. Flexing muscles when you are an economic weakling is merely posturing.

Meanwhile.....Cambodia begs: "Please ramp up the abuse of Thailand's farangs, so we can have the overflow." Perhaps the most dense, obtuse immigration in the developing world. Someone PLEASE explain to them that you DO NOT grow an economy by abusing your cash cows. tongue.png

What "abuse"? All they're asking for is that when your permission to stay in Thailand expires that you leave...what's so extraordinary about that? I mean, even the US is trying to implement this policy now. (And I believe it's the same in Cambodia...that they don't give open-ended entry stamps out upon arrival.)

I've been to Cambo a dozen times...believe me, Thailand has nothing to worry about from there. It's a nice place for a few days and maybe some people will want to live there but most will not. And as I posted, what's wrong with expecting foreigners to leave a country when their permission to stay expires? I'm sorry to have to tell you, but the Raj is over.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand is no longer a prime destination for those looking to stay or invest. there are simply too many regulations concerning Visas; reporting requirements; work permits etc. Many people are voting with their feet. As one of the posters indicated Cambodia is now becoming a preferred destination. Obtaining a long term visa is easy, rents are cheap and the food is similar to Thai. In the years to come Thailand will be heavily penalized for its stubbornness regarding these type of issues. Another example is the METV, which is absolutely worthless due to its requirements. If I had not been here for so long and invested in houses and cars, I would be seriously looking at other options. Thailand is becoming to much like the West- bureaucracy laden and regulation prone. Most old Thai hands came to Thailand because it represented a new.bold future, much like the Westward push in the United States. It is starting to look like and feel like the future we wanted to avoid.

Complete and utter nonsense from beginning to end!

And look at his TV handle...probably never been outside his country and an arm-chair traveler "seeing" the world from an internet connection in mummy's basement.

I remember going to Bangkok Immigration one time to obtain an extension of stay for 1 day-paid the fee- I did not want to have an overstay stamp in my passport as I have never overstayed. The Immigration officers at the time laughed at me and actually encouraged me to pay the fine at the airport. I did not take their advice. Is it any wonder that people have overstayed as in the past the Immigration officials looked at it very liberally . Overstaying individuals have not caused any type of tightening of Visa regulations for those who have never overstayed. I have had almost every type of Visa Thailand has and been to Immigration numerous times. I have never noticed any difference as a result of someone else overstaying. This is just another reaction by the current regime to what they view as some unknown threat. I personally find it to be overly punitive and worded in a way that makes it too easy for those with money to carry on as usual. It will be those with lower incomes who have money issues that causes them to overstay to be banned. The criminal elements you see today will still be here for years to come- unafraid and unaffected. The so called 'bad guys' have become the poor foreigners who overstay because things happen in life beyond their control.

I was doing a 1 year extension up here in Chiang Mai about 10 years ago, I had completed the 1st interview and submitted all the documents and was given the consideration stamp to return in a month. I returned on time and was given yet another month of "under consideration". Unfortunately I missed the day and was one day late, they charged me 200 Baht and stamped the overstay in my passport.

And what...your point is they shouldn't have charged you because you're someone special?

Nowhere is a prime destination nowadays as terrorism , murder and corrupt officialdom is everywhere Inc. the UK

I love Thailand and absolutely love Chaiyaphum where I am staying now with my partner, we have been together 3years and has never asked for anything, no sick buffalo emails or such,,, her family and whole village has welcomed me and have had some great bbq's and drink nights this is the Thailand I want I have done my apprenticeship in Pattaya and Bangkok love to visit them both for a couple of days but the noise, pollution and same same old bars hold no attraction for me.

Not even Burkina Faso...the Thai bashers are running out of options fast.

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

Why wonder....... try it and let us know.!! .....smile.png

What are they gonna do with the farang that does not have a current passport because theirs has expired how can they prove where that person has come from, look at the U K many illegals get caught then get released because they are told to report every week but disappear once again.

Cartoon should get an award tho for the strangest government warning ever

overhere you just stay in the IDC, good luck

Why overstay??

Cos they can't meet the requirements and have got themselves involved and have to find work without papers just to survive????

Maybe after a time, say 11 years, have saved enough to pay the fine and return 4 weeks later??

Ask him why don't you?

There's probably a long story to be had there?

However, he could have been under 50 and not able to get the elite visa but could exist on off shore funds????

Who knows???

Oh wait -

so 11 years to save 20000 baht must be great cash cows and supporters of the economy

Dear OMG Pattaya- I can assure you I have more time standing in line at Don Muang Airport than you have in Thailand. . you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine . Your arrogance is showing as well as your lack of understanding how Thailand really works. I was probably in Thailand before you were even born but don't let actual knowledge stand in your way of spouting baloney. You do that on a regular basis.

Thailand is no longer a prime destination for those looking to stay or invest. there are simply too many regulations concerning Visas; reporting requirements; work permits etc. Many people are voting with their feet. As one of the posters indicated Cambodia is now becoming a preferred destination. Obtaining a long term visa is easy, rents are cheap and the food is similar to Thai. In the years to come Thailand will be heavily penalized for its stubbornness regarding these type of issues. Another example is the METV, which is absolutely worthless due to its requirements. If I had not been here for so long and invested in houses and cars, I would be seriously looking at other options. Thailand is becoming to much like the West- bureaucracy laden and regulation prone. Most old Thai hands came to Thailand because it represented a new.bold future, much like the Westward push in the United States. It is starting to look like and feel like the future we wanted to avoid.

Complete and utter nonsense from beginning to end!

And look at his TV handle...probably never been outside his country and an arm-chair traveler "seeing" the world from an internet connection in mummy's basement.

Guess you missed one of his previous replies saying he has been here 50 years.

Is no one else going to mention that they showed the foreigners ( or aliens) in this very informative cartoon here as criminals traveling around the country and ripping people off with various scams and schemes in each location?

Overt racism from a government dept.

No, that is EXACTLY the Thai attitude. They are so xenophobic that they want you to come here, spend all your money and get out. The western idea of having long term expats who take little or nothing out of the economy and inject a considerable amount INTO it, doesn't fit with the agenda of those who imagine "Thai-ness" to be the traits of the master race. tongue.png

If I wasn't such an optimist at times, I would have started to begin to think that they really do not want anyone here on anything more than a maximum of 30 days vacation and seem to make it more and more difficult to keep getting extensions.

I would be interested to know why my opinion is wrong and yours is correct! Please enlighten me. I would say my 50 years here gives me a little bit of credibility.

You are entitled to your opinion, but credibility doesn't come from being here for 50 years, it comes from what you say. I am also entitled to my opinion and although I respect your seniority I won't agree with you just because of it. I'm not saying my opinion is right, but as you asked here it is.......

• Thailand is a great place to live. Personally I’ve never considered it a good place to invest other than in family.
  • Visa regulations are very simple, easy to understand and cater for many different types of visitor.
  • 90 day reporting can be done by post or by representative, and they’ve recently made things even easier with online reporting. I’d prefer they did away with it, but reporting every 3 months is no big deal.
  • 30 million visitors last year suggests more people are coming to Thailand and many continue to stay long term. If anything Thailand’s problem will be having too many people trying to stay.
  • No doubt some people have moved to Cambodia but I’d say it’s a minuscule insignificant number.
  • Cambodia is not Thailand. It’s a second rate choice for some that can’t make it in Thailand or that prefer to live in Cambodia.
  • Obtaining long term visas/permission to stay is also easy in Thailand for those that qualify.
  • The METV provides more options than the 2 and 3 entry visas it has replaced, and is not worthless to the many that qualify for it and want to enter Thailand multiple times over 6 months. SETV’s cater for the vast majority of typical (short term) tourists.
  • Thai bureaucracy has always been a pain for both Thais and foreigners, but all you have to do is bite your lip, give them what they want, and you’ll get what you want.

With respect I think your taking an emotional view on things. Life in Thailand is great and these new overstay rules are not going to affect 99+% of visiting or long staying foreigners. In my short 20 years here the changes to immigration enforcement have usually been the result of foreigners abusing the system. Overstayers being the latest example.

So an over stay of less than 90 days does not get you banned?

Not banned in case you "surrender to the authorities" but to be "crystal clear" they would have had to explain what happens if you're a couple days over and stopped on the way to the airport.

Not unreasonably they probably don't want to go in print on that: if the 500 B fine per day applies (highly likely) they would not want to publicise that as an easy alternative to a regular visa. Hence left unsaid.

Let's not go confusing who the real villains are when it comes to overstaying in a country because a person forgot they're only a guest in it. How can you suggest they might still be treated more leniently than for the same thing in their own country.

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

In case of alien being arrested and prosecuted—less than one year, banned for five years

I agree with most of what you say and appreciate your courtesy. Regarding the overstay, as I mentioned I have never been on overstay but I can imagine where some people have due to circumstances beyond their control. I do not criticize them or feel they have contributed in any way to a hardening of the rules.. In fact, the Thai establishment has contributed to overstay by adopting a relaxed attitude and now the pendulum has swung in the other direction. In all my years of going to Immigration, I have mostly been treated with respect and a helping attitude.

In regards to the METV, It is essentially of little real value in that it has eliminated the 2 and 3 entry Tourist Visa and is an example of Thailand's inability to deal with individuals that want to stay longer in Thailand but do not meet the current qualifications. There are too many restrictions on the METV and most people cannot or do not want to provide the paperwork it requires. If Thailand really wanted long term tourism involving those under 50, they could have simply opted for a 6 month tourist Visa with minimum qualifications. The real reason is the authorities believe this will eliminate people working under the radar, but it won't.

As far as Cambodia is concerned, it represents Thailand the way it was 50 years ago. A country with much potential and with minimal bureaucracy. It is free, open and unspoiled.. If I was unmarried and just starting out, it probably would appeal to me. However, I came to Thailand to live a long time ago because I loved the country the first time I saw it and I still love it. The people are great and the culture is still fascinating. Every time I start to think I know everything, I am reminded how much I still do not know.

Most of us left our own countries because of some reason. I am mostly a Libertarian who finds the rules and regulations of the West stifling and of no real benefit to anyone except those in power. I now see Thailand heading down the same road and it is unsettling to me as it takes away that spirit of adventure and fun that only could be found in Thailand. I am not against progress or civilization but I am against over regulation and laws which make Little sense and target the wrong people. I can guarantee you I have bitten my lip so many times here that it is sore, but I agree you have to do it to get what you need. I have no problems with that, I still recognize I am a guest here and have no real say on how things operate.

You are also correct in that being in a place a long time or of a certain age does not necessarily lend itself to credibility. However, how one answers also needs to be tempered rather than dismissing another person's opinion out of hand. You and I have somewhat different slants on things but in essence we agree more than we disagree. I appreciate your answer. I am certain we both want the best for our families and to live in peace. Cheers.

well, this is a new twist . . . . been in thailand 8 yrs now and have always had to deal with the fact that all thai people think all farangs are rich and just here to get drunk and laid . . . . . now i also have to deal this new stereotype that we are also all criminals??? unbelievable . . . i came to thailand to help people, i have personally helped more thai people in the past 8 yrs than thai people help thai people over their whole lives . . . i am married and have taken care of my thai wife and her 2 small children for almost 3 yrs now. as a matter of fact every time i have been to the nan office i have been treated like a criminal . . . . . simply unbelievable . . . . not even a dog will bite the hand that feeds it . . . . . .

Meanwhile.....Cambodia begs: "Please ramp up the abuse of Thailand's farangs, so we can have the overflow." Perhaps the most dense, obtuse immigration in the developing world. Someone PLEASE explain to them that you DO NOT grow an economy by abusing your cash cows. tongue.png

Do you really believe that the overstayers they are targeting are cash cows, think again.....

I'm guessing the 500 Baht per day is still in play for people who overstay a few days

That's what I'm thinking, too, despite the option the authorities have. I just can't imagine threatening a tourist with a five year ban for overstaying a week.

Have you gents called 1178 to inquire?

OMG I never said Thailand was oppressive- it is far from it. I am simply stating that the constant regulation of everything is turning Thailand into a nanny state, which I do not like. I have no intention of moving to Cambodia but i recognize others may like the sense of adventure. I still love Thailand.

As far as standing in line at DM- I remember the first time I came to Thailand- eons ago- I arrived at DM and headed for immigration but no one was there- We had to line up and waited almost an hour for the officers to be located. There was no automatic baggage belt. Your baggage was brought in to the outside of the terminal on a large cart where each passenger had to pore through the bags to find their own and then take it by hand (no trolley) to a customs agent who opened each bag. Just on the first trip- it felt like 15 years passed getting into the country. Finding a taxi was also somewhat challenging- there was no taxi queue- one had to carry the bags to the street and flag down a taxi and bargain for the price into Bangkok. No expressway and no air conditioning. I never complained, just figured that was the way it was and who cared- I was in Bangkok and let the good times roll.

I'm guessing the 500 Baht per day is still in play for people who overstay a few days

That's what I'm thinking, too, despite the option the authorities have. I just can't imagine threatening a tourist with a five year ban for overstaying a week.

That is for being arrested and prosecuted. I think therein, may be the leeway. The idea, of course, being turn yourself in. However, there may be some slack granted someone being caught with just a few days, like pay up and leave without prosecution. However, the law will give the IOs the right to ban you for years.

gentry, on 16 Jan 2016 - 06:27, said:

well, this is a new twist . . . . been in thailand 8 yrs now and have always had to deal with the fact that all thai people think all farangs are rich and just here to get drunk and laid . . . . . now i also have to deal this new stereotype that we are also all criminals??? unbelievable . . . i came to thailand to help people, i have personally helped more thai people in the past 8 yrs than thai people help thai people over their whole lives . . . i am married and have taken care of my thai wife and her 2 small children for almost 3 yrs now. as a matter of fact every time i have been to the nan office i have been treated like a criminal . . . . . simply unbelievable . . . . not even a dog will bite the hand that feeds it . . . . . .

furthermore, in 8 yrs i have overstayed for one day twice . . . . the first time because the kids were sick and then my wife got sick and they were up all night, i could not have abandoned them in such a situation and the second time was due to a late arrival to the border because of the wonderful bus system here . . . . according to their own rules the overstay fee could have been waived, but was not . . . . on neither occasion . . . and i guess there would be no reason to waive it since i am a criminally minded drunk farang who is only here to get laid . . . . and besides i am just soooooo rich . . . . . again, simply unbelievable . . . . . as a matter of fact every time i turn around i almost fall over because someone has their hand in my pocket . . . . i guess i should not complain too much since the criminals portrayed in the video were from the uk and not the usa . . . . maybe i can slip by, eh?

Well, OK, they've got some simple rules. Don't overstay. I can't trash talk them on this one. The video is kind of funny though. As if the world's criminal masterminds are all coming to Thailand to make their fortune.

You know, it is really is an unfair imposition on these criminal masterminds to only give them 30 days to do their dastardly deeds! Be warned all you criminal masterminds, don't overstay! cheesy.gif

Do you really believe that the overstayers they are targeting are cash cows, think again.....

They are more likely question marks or dogs.

Artisi, on 16 Jan 2016 - 06:30, said:
Jools, on 16 Jan 2016 - 00:28, said:

didn't you see the video?? all overstayers are raking in fortunes . . . . . .

No, that is EXACTLY the Thai attitude. They are so xenophobic that they want you to come here, spend all your money and get out. The western idea of having long term expats who take little or nothing out of the economy and inject a considerable amount INTO it, doesn't fit with the agenda of those who imagine "Thai-ness" to be the traits of the master race. tongue.png

If I wasn't such an optimist at times, I would have started to begin to think that they really do not want anyone here on anything more than a maximum of 30 days vacation and seem to make it more and more difficult to keep getting extensions.

don't talk BS, if you can't afford a visa you aren't putting much into the economy

Archived