“Good guys in, bad guys out”, says Thailand Immigration chief

rooster59

Is no one else going to mention that they showed the foreigners ( or aliens) in this very informative cartoon here as criminals traveling around the country and ripping people off with various scams and schemes in each location?

I was just about to.

Does anyone now have any doubt about just how they view us?

Note the Thai language narration written across every frame of this cartoon. Any doubt about whom this plays to?

Clearly, foreigners overstay in order to commit crimes. Nothing like a little stereotyping to whip up the locals, and fan the flames of xenophobia. Definitely designed to deflect attention from the gross ineptitude/megalomania of those in power...

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thailand is no longer a prime destination for those looking to stay or invest"

Never has been.

America is the #1 country in the world where people want to come, stay & invest.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-popular/10-most-popular-countries-for-

Thailand's 30 day visa is plenty long enough for the "chowderheads" who don't bother to do "a priori" "due diligence" before they come here to go on a drug-fueled binge.

Why would these people need a longer visa? They won't be staying here very long, if you catch my drift.

Thailand is no longer a prime destination for those looking to stay or invest. there are simply too many regulations concerning Visas; reporting requirements; work permits etc. Many people are voting with their feet. As one of the posters indicated Cambodia is now becoming a preferred destination. Obtaining a long term visa is easy, rents are cheap and the food is similar to Thai. In the years to come Thailand will be heavily penalized for its stubbornness regarding these type of issues. Another example is the METV, which is absolutely worthless due to its requirements. If I had not been here for so long and invested in houses and cars, I would be seriously looking at other options. Thailand is becoming to much like the West- bureaucracy laden and regulation prone. Most old Thai hands came to Thailand because it represented a new.bold future, much like the Westward push in the United States. It is starting to look like and feel like the future we wanted to avoid.

Complete and utter nonsense from beginning to end!

Said the newcomer...

didn't you see the video?? all overstayers are raking in fortunes . . . . . .

The video is about illegal workers/scammers, there's a cartoon ATM skimmer and thief.

If they're raking in fortunes they will simply switch to coming on a couple tourist visas per year, up to 6 visa exempts spread over the year, or the Thai Elite card is perfect for the criminal mastermind - free reign to do whatever for 5 years.

Not all overstayers are scammers, and not all those with a valid visa are saints.

A better idea (and who knows, this might be happening) is:

A. More actual police work to catch those people

B. Apply blacklisting on a case by case basis, e.g. if someone could show they were sick, have dependants, are over a certain age, etc. they only pay the fine

The clear thrust of this childish amaturish video is that any foreign overstayer is making a fool of the Thails and making buckets of money.

They just happened to forget, or overlook, that maybe many of the overstayers are using their foreign monies to stay in Thailand. What on earth is wrong with these people that they don't want to see the merit of people who bring in foreign monies?

Convenient fot the Immigraion Dept. to focus on the money grabbing foreign making tons of money from the Thais.

What an utterly biased video

I would be interested to know why my opinion is wrong and yours is correct! Please enlighten me. I would say my 50 years here gives me a little bit of credibility.

Your 50 years here is a real threat to all these recent arrivals who wish they could make Thailand just like whatever repressive sh!thole they came from. I'll bet dollars to dpnuts that most of them don't speak/read a word of Thai, and don't know much about anything beyond their condo's front door.

It's their world; welcome to it.

As for Cambodia, it's certainly a nicer place, if you consider the locals, and the hands-off immigration policies, but the question is, for how long...? Hun Sen could have a bad dream about a barang,and, poof!, the next day borrow a page from Thailand's looney immigration policy, or worse.

Still, if I were a young man, at this point, I'd be packing...

Expect more frantic pushback from the puny carpetbaggers who have recently shown up. Someone with real knowledge and experience in Thailand scares and infuriates them.

Cheers.

I would be interested to know why my opinion is wrong and yours is correct! Please enlighten me. I would say my 50 years here gives me a little bit of credibility.

Your 50 years here is a real threat to all these recent arrivals who wish they could make Thailand just like whatever repressive sh!thole they came from. I'll bet dollars to dpnuts that most of them don't speak/read a word of Thai, and don't know much about anything beyond their condo's front door.

As for Cambodia, it's certainly a nicer place, if you consider the locals, and the hands-off immigration policies, but the question is, for how long...? Hun Sen could have a bad dream about a barang,and, poof!, the next day borrow a page from Thailand's looney immigration policy, or worse.

Expect more frantic pushback from the puny carpetbaggers who have recently shown up. Someone with real knowledge and experience in Thailand scares and infuriates them.

Cheers.

Why don't you do us a favour and pretend you're young again and start packing. Thailand's gain would be Cambodia's loss!

Ain't it strange, no Thai official has ever asked me if I have taken care of Thai nationals, whether I have put a Thai kid through school cos his father don't give a shit......Ain't that strange........coffee1.gif

No, it is not strange.

By the looks of it, this clears up any ambiguity of whether people overstaying less than 90 days would be prosecuted--as long as said people turn themselves in. Still wondering what would happen to someone who overstays a week and happens to get caught.

I was at the immigration office the day after this came out (some time last week...don't remember the day) and I asked the officer about what would happen if, say, there was a natural disaster or border closings that caused me to be late by a day or two.

She said it wouldn't be a problem and that you still jut pay the 500 per day, but if you start approaching a 7 day overstay, thing are going to get hairy.

Anyway, that was the info from 1 (high-ranking) immigration official in Isaan.

There are usually exceptions to the rules. I was here when 9-11 happened in the USA. Was going to fly home after being here 3 weeks. After the attack the US would not alow any overseas flights into the US so I had to stay like 3--4 more weeks before I could fly back. They never charged me for overstay or stamped anything in my passport.

I think the same happened when the 2004 Tsunami hit .

reading the headline i thought it was their guys that were being sorted out , you know all the smileysad.png happy people that work for this shower of -_-ts

What the hell are you talking about?

Allow me to explain - the thread headline 'good guys in, bad guys out' says Thailand immigration chief, made the poster think perhaps it pertained to a continuing of the much publicized probe into endemic corruption in immigration - http://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-corruption-probe-findings-delayed-54235.php

Cheers.

Why don't you do us a favour and pretend you're young again and start packing. Thailand's gain would be Cambodia's loss!

Sleep well, pilgrim, I left 2 years ago. Seeing so many like you had a little to do with it, but seeing the writing on the wall was the reason for my departure.

BTW, is that 20 years you tout continuous, or just since you set naive foot on Thai soil the first time?

You, and all the other government sycophants, paralyzed in orgasmic joy at the hubris of this regime, will eventually find yourselves at the wrong end of this barrel.

Time wounds all heels.

Cheers.

yeah yeah. Now for the obvious. What is on the law for over stays less than 90 days? The current 500 baht per day up to max of 20,000 baht? When is a judge involved if at all? A casual overstay of one or two days results in what? Threats of prosecution? Tea money shakedown? I would assume that if less than 90 days the new law doesn't specify anything and the current rules stay in effect, but I hate to assume

Cheers.

Sleep well, pilgrim, I left 2 years ago. Seeing so many like you had a little to do with it, but seeing the writing on the wall was the reason for my departure.

BTW, is that 20 years you tout continuous, or just since you set naive foot on Thai soil the first time?

You, and all the other government sycophants, paralyzed in orgasmic joy at the hubris of this regime, will eventually find yourselves at the wrong end of this barrel.

Time wounds all heels.

Cheers.

Well good riddance.

That explains your bitterness and the vitriolic diatribe you hand out to those that stand up for the country they live in. This country is far from perfect, but it's been my permanent home for 20 years and I accept the bad with the good. I have no allegiance to this government or any other, and whatever government is running the show makes little or no difference to my life and I doubt it ever will.

Cheers.

Time wounds all heels.

Cheers.

Well good riddance.

That explains your bitterness and the vitriolic diatribe you hand out to those that stand up for the country they live in. This country is far from perfect, but it's been my permanent home for 20 years and I accept the bad with the good. I have no allegiance to this government or any other, and whatever government is running the show makes little or no difference to my life and I doubt it ever will.

Well, you certainly are smug, and obsessive on this topic, and others like it. Cheerleaders like you are definitely annoying, and one wonders what stake you have, other than passive aggression, or protection of the club you imagine belonging to...

As for me, bitterness has nothing to do with my leaving. Protecting my family from abuse was/is first on my agenda. And that's all I'm saying on the subject.

As I said, I'm betting that your glee will be short-lived...

Protesting too loudly, indeed...

Well good riddance.

There's enjoying Thailand, and then there's joining the 'defend Thailand from criticism at all costs and put down other farang' club.

What about the constant diatribe from that club like or 'digital nomads are illegals, I have the facts and you shouldn't be here', or cheering the removal of double entry tourist visas, or telling people they don't belong here if they don't have the same visa status as them.

I've often felt people feel or wish the place was an exclusive club. Like a membership at an prestigious golf club only the few can obtain.

Thailand is the easy option so long as when your chain is yanked, you take note with soppy eyes.

"Cutting it" outside her boarders I believe is being more true to oneself.

Consider this scenario.

Those posting objections to the new rules/ enforcement policy are living in their own home countries.

There is an influx of foreigners, predominantly from the middle east, religion of peace types, who show little/no regard for YOUR own country's immigration laws, and choose to stay, illegally, some up to 11 years, citing their own situations as worthy of special consideration, whilst earning 'out of country' income, paying no tax, and contributing nothing to infrastructure, of which they are the beneficiaries.

Would you want your government to strictly enforce its laws, or would you be happy for those wilfully flouting those laws to stay on, and worse, object to the authorities in YOUR country trying to address the problem?

If they would do this to all bad guys in this country, it would be pretty empty and without police, army gouvernement.

That was my first thought when I saw this headline, was that the

government was going to finally clean its own house and get

rid off all the corrupt officials. Whatever damage farangs do to

the Thai economy, corrupt officials do 1000 times more...

But I guess it does fan the flames of xenophobia a bit, and

keep the buffaloes from seeing who their real enemy is.

Consider this scenario.

Those posting objections to the new rules/ enforcement policy are living in their own home countries.

There is an influx of foreigners, predominantly from the middle east, religion of peace types, who show little/no regard for YOUR own country's immigration laws, and choose to stay, illegally, some up to 11 years, whilst earning 'out of country' income, paying no tax, and contributing nothing to infrastructure, of which they are the beneficiaries.

Would you want your government to strictly enforce its laws, or would you be happy for those wilfully flouting those laws to stay on, and worse, object to the authorities in YOUR country trying to address the problem?

It's not a correct analogy.

You'd have to pick a group of educated first world foreigners that are generally seen as favorable (like farang are to Asians, in general) and no clash of religions or ideologies... say an influx of blond haired Swedes, including hot chicks.

Then get the income disparity right - they'd be spending as much per person as an entire family in my country. Any business I run back home, they'd be my best customers.

They'd generally fit in, not change anything (they couldn't work in any job capacity, couldn't vote, couldn't own land) and there'd be a lot of girls for me to pick from.

I'd be very happy about the whole thing.

Ain't it strange, no Thai official has ever asked me if I have taken care of Thai nationals, whether I have put a Thai kid through school cos his father don't give a shit......Ain't that strange........coffee1.gif

No, it is not strange.

I didn't think it strange either. Why on earth would a Thai official even think to ask, any more than he would ask a foreigner whst drugs he was taking, or his involvement in sex with underage kids??

My bet is that for every foreigner who has put a Thai kid through school because he has a dead$hit father, there would be several in the other categories, i.e., junkies and pedophiles.

Consider this scenario.

There is an influx of foreigners, predominantly from the middle east, religion of peace types, who show little/no regard for YOUR own country's immigration laws, and choose to stay, illegally, some up to 11 years, citing their own situations as worthy of special consideration, whilst earning 'out of country' income, paying no tax, and contributing nothing to infrastructure, of which they are the beneficiaries.

I would question why those laws exist in the first place.

IMHO, far too many people accept "Laws" as a part of the cosmos, and far too few question the need for them.

Archived