Any Welsh food in Thailand?

FruitPudding

Dare I ask what is considered Welsh cuisine?

Although I'm an American I've spent a good deal of time in the UK, and while I have to say most of what I experienced was truly awful, there were some exceptions.

I'd be interested in what might be something different

PS; as a Mexican American my Mother hated me for developing a curious liking for the sugar laden UK version of Heinz Baked Beans. She never forgave me before she died

Welsh Rabbit = bread cheese and pickle, toasted... not difficult to make at home..

Sorry had no idea there was anything more ? other than the good looking sheep

That's a rarebit of bad spelling above.

http://www.food.com/recipe/welsh-rabbit-rarebit-sort-of-toasted-cheese-387481

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/welsh-rabbit-108892

Never to old to learn something new, never heard of Rarebit before today..

Cheese on toast and anything with leeks in it.

I'm totally under-whelmed.

Well I'm with you on this one...cheese on toast is a cuisine???

Welsh rarebit/rabbit is not cheese on toast. It's a lovingly made blend of grated cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, flour, beer (preferably Brains bitter, except on Sundays in "dry" areas and by strict church goers when milk is used) and seasoning. Some versions add an egg, too. All is gently heated together before being spread lavishly on a piece of bread toasted on one side before being grilled.

Welsh rarebit/rabbit is not cheese on toast. It's a lovingly made blend of grated cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, flour, beer (preferably Brains bitter, except on Sundays in "dry" areas and by strict church goers when milk is used) and seasoning. Some versions add an egg, too. All is gently heated together before being spread lavishly on a piece of bread toasted on one side before being grilled.

Eloquently described, but still cheese on toast.

Surely there must be something more unique?

I did a quick internet search, soda bread seems at least somewhat more unique

It's nothing like English cheese on toast which is rubbery and bland. It's unique.

Anyway, other dishes from my childhood:

Sewin (sea trout) wrapped in salty Welsh bacon.

Bara Lawr (long boiled seaweed pulp) mixed with oatmeal and fried in bacon fat, usually eaten for breakfast. Laverbread can also be made into a sauce to serve with meat.

Cawl (a meat and vegetable stew, usually made with lamb. Traditionally the meat was eaten separately from the broth and vegetables, but now they're usually eaten together).

Selsig Morgannwg (a cheese sausage, fried)

Bara brith (a slightly sweet bread with dried fruit)

Picau ar y maen (slightly sweet "cakes" with raisins cooked on a bakestone)

It's nothing like English cheese on toast which is rubbery and bland. It's unique.

Anyway, other dishes from my childhood:

Sewin (sea trout) wrapped in salty Welsh bacon.

Bara Lawr (long boiled seaweed pulp) mixed with oatmeal and fried in bacon fat, usually eaten for breakfast. Laverbread can also be made into a sauce to serve with meat.

Cawl (a meat and vegetable stew, usually made with lamb. Traditionally the meat was eaten separately from the broth and vegetables, but now they're usually eaten together).

Selsig Morgannwg (a cheese sausage, fried)

Bara brith (a slightly sweet bread with dried fruit)

Picau ar y maen (slightly sweet "cakes" with raisins cooked on a bakestone)

Sounds delicious.

• 1 month later...

freely available in korat, faggots and peas.

brawn.

home cured bacon.

cock a leaki

bread pudding

brown trout

and not forgetting hereford scumpy cider.

brains SA.

clarks pies.

GOWER SALT MARSH LAMB.

TAFF.TAFF,wake up your having a nightmare.

oh shut up blodwyn and do me some pork dripping sandwich's.and a can of old english.

Archived