Got METV in Australia with no residency / employment requirements.

Can we skip the posts about airfares. General rule is return jetstar under $500 aud. One way for example right now at many dates Melbourne/bkk $209. Feb 25 as example. The thread is about info from members obtaining metv obtained in country other than their own.

So far we have one be it obtain one in Melbourne and another post about positive email from perth consulate to non Australian national. Let's hope more countries make this available.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

It sounds like posters are saying Americans can get an METV in Australia though that's not what the OP said. Does someone know that this is possible for certain?

That is what OP said.

It's written on the consulate websites there, that you don't need to an Australian national. The Melbourne website seems to be down at the moment, but this is the application form for Canberra:

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/DownloadForm/4304860377

From the second page this is all you need to show:

ahkmlOx.png

its really very simple and easy :

8 k AUD for the last 6 month !!

Scoot airlines also fly Don Mueang to Melborne

Cost Feb 18th 5175 bht return 26th Feb 4925 bht

Problem with this is a lay over in Singapore

They also fly to Perth from both airports. I booked a Sydney return in June for $498 return.

Obtaining an METV from Australia may be a solution for some but an expensive solution. Flights, Hotel Accommodation, Ground Transportation etc.!

This is far better then going back to the states for yanks though. Best news I've heard in a while. OP when you say "show flights" you mean flights/tickets leaving Thailand?

• Like 1

Obtaining an METV from Australia may be a solution for some but an expensive solution. Flights, Hotel Accommodation, Ground Transportation etc.!

This is far better then going back to the states for yanks though. Best news I've heard in a while. OP when you say "show flights" you mean flights/tickets leaving Thailand?

Going to AUS is no doubt cheaper than the US, but traveling from Thailand to Australia for a METV seems an expensive and unnecessary solution. Even with a very conservative budget getting the METV would double the cost of 3 SETV's.

Gotta love all the moody posters saying 'no, no, this is still expensive, I don't want you to be happy' :)

One report was from a guy who only had to show the first flight to Thailand.

But to be safe I'd say also have a flight confirming departure from Thailand. You could just rent one on flyonward.com for $10, it's a real ticket that then automatically cancels 48 hours later, by which time you've got the visa sticker.

• Like 1

From the Thai Consulate n Perth Form A Visa application form

A complete application will take 3 business days to process, not including the day that you lodge your application.

So if they wait beyond 48 hours to verify your flyonward ticket using the record locator and your last name the status of your ticket it will say CANCELLED.

Edited by JLCrab

2 business days on the Melbourne website.

Checkmate.

As it is 2 business days, they can still they can check the status in Melbourne more than 48 hours from when you make the Flyonward reservation even if you are in their lobby when you make it. Flyonward is mainly geared so that you can get a ticket before entering a country and have a valid ticket upon entry not for sitting in a Consulate back office.

and the Melbourne Form says: All visas will take a minimum of 2 working days to process once a complete application has been received.

Anybody with a record locator and a last name can check a ticket status ... and I thought you liked Perth.

Edited by JLCrab

As a few posters predicted they are going to be issuing these pretty much everywhere soon. Thai economy can't support strong visa rules. Expect the overstaying ban to be abolished soon, also.

Did you get those words of wisdom from another forum?

Going to AUS is no doubt cheaper than the US, but traveling from Thailand to Australia for a METV seems an expensive and unnecessary solution. Even with a very conservative budget getting the METV would double the cost of 3 SETV's.

Piece of mind has a price. Not to mention I have obligation here that prevent me from leaving the country frequently. Also if I don't see Australia now I never will.

• Like 2

I always have enough to do for a once-a-year 2-3 week trip to USA. I would much prefer that than for a trip to Australia for no other reason than to get a visa.

The US flight is a killer for me. And truth be told there is no place I would rather be less. Not to say the US is a bad place I've just been there and done that. I would be watching the clock the whole time. And there are no marsupials except the possum . Booooring!

I always have enough to do for a once-a-year 2-3 week trip to USA. I would much prefer that than for a trip to Australia for no other reason than to get a visa.

The US flight is a killer for me. And truth be told there is no place I would rather be less. Not to say the US is a bad place I've just been there and done that. I would be watching the clock the whole time. And there are no marsupials except the possum . Booooring!

Well I've never been to Australia -- but I've heard it is full of Australians. I'll pass. I still have friends and family in USA to visit and 2-3 weeks is just about the right amount of time.

Edited by JLCrab

Piece of mind has a price. Not to mention I have obligation here that prevent me from leaving the country frequently. Also if I don't see Australia now I never will.

Australia is a great place to visit. Melbourne would be my choice.

What I don't understand is why people feel the need to seek out the METV at cost when they can get SETV's locally to Thailand. If you want to go to AUS anyway for a holiday then fair enough. But a specific 3/4 day trip seems unnecessary.

I expect it will be a short lived window if too many Europeans and Yanks turn up for the METV with a passport full of Thai visas/stamps. As soon as people start to circumvent the system the system gets changed and people wonder why and start whinging.

I expect it will be a short lived window if too many Europeans and Yanks turn up for the METV with a passport full of Thai visas/stamps. As soon as people start to circumvent the system the system gets changed and people wonder why and start whinging.

There's no circumventing the system - there's never been an official limit on back to back tourist visa stay, or clear guidelines as to how long one can be a 'genuine tourist' at one time, and nowhere on the MFA website does it say one is breaking some rule by applying for the METV outside their home country.

No official reason was given as to why the double/triple entry system went away either... to say people were gaming the system is speculation. It may simply have been because consulates like Vientiane struggled to verify foreign bank statements in English. A western consulate may not have that problem, so perhaps nothing will change with Australia.

• Like 1

There's no circumventing the system - there's never been an official limit on back to back tourist visa stay, or clear guidelines as to how long one can be a 'genuine tourist' at one time, and nowhere on the MFA website does it say one is breaking some rule by applying for the METV outside their home country.

No official reason was given as to why the double/triple entry system went away either... to say people were gaming the system is speculation. It may simply have been because consulates like Vientiane struggled to verify foreign bank statements in English. A western consulate may not have that problem, so perhaps nothing will change with Australia.

It also says on the Perth Australia visa application Form 'A':

CONDITIONS: 1. Each Application is considered on its individual merit and may be rejected without any reason provided.
but the reason an application might be rejected could be one of those cited above.
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

I want to head back to oz early next month and no way is any one way flight under 10,000 baht,under 10,000 is low season prices.

From where, BKK? It's 6.3k last week of the month, 12k earlier than that.

xGSoiK5.png

Which airline mate ?, I searched AirAsia and was coming up at 20,000 baht.

Try Jetstar

Thats a one way ticket bookie.....

Normal jetstar return flight's are approx $AU750 at the cheapest and around $AU950 at peek time around xmas etc.....thats 18,750 low 23,750 high, then there are sales like the one above, i got a one way flight from Melbourne to Tokyo for around $300, of course theres plus plus to go on top, cost me more to fly from Tokyo to BKK.

Most jetstar flights are direct into the city for choice, not so with Airasia, in fact Jetstar at the moment kill all airlines in ticket costs and have for a few years now from BKK to AU.

I want to head back to oz early next month and no way is any one way flight under 10,000 baht,under 10,000 is low season prices.

here you go....

http://www.skyscanner.com.au/transport/flights/bkkt/per/160205/airfares-from-bangkok-to-perth-in-february-2016.html?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&cabinclass=economy&rtn=0&preferdirects=false&outboundaltsenabled=false&inboundaltsenabled=false#results

AK.png
06:05DMK
12h 25
1 stop DPS
19:30PER

400$ one way? Go check on the Airasia website, its under 200$ one way.

If you can beat jetstar its because you will have at least one stop over in KL....if you don't mind turning a 9hr flight into 15 or more go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

xGSoiK5.png

Which airline mate ?, I searched AirAsia and was coming up at 20,000 baht.

That is AirAsia (surprised if you've used them you don't recognise their website)

I just checked for flights to Perth and they are cheaper than flights to Macau where I flew for CNY.

5600 THB outbound and 7600 THB inbound.

• Like 2

xGSoiK5.png

If you fly one-way to Australia for 6,3000 BHT and stay there you will not really need a Thai visa will you! If you plan to come back to Thailand you will need to book a return flight. Assuming its the same cost as the outgoing flight then 6,300 x 2 = 12,600. Oh but wait! This price does not include taxes, luggage, meals, booking fee...

If you fly one-way to Australia for 6,3000 BHT and stay there you will not really need a Thai visa will you! If you plan to come back to Thailand you will need to book a return flight. Assuming its the same cost as the outgoing flight then 6,300 x 2 = 12,600. Oh but wait! This price does not include taxes, luggage, meals, booking fee...

Well he asked about one way prices so I replied about one way prices...

It does include taxes, Airasia show all in fares now. Don't need luggage for a 3 day visa run. Don't need terrible airplane meals just eat before and sleep on the plane. Visa booking fee is 80 baht.