Got METV in Australia with no residency / employment requirements.

Sorry guys, dead end, i have just reached the consulate in Perth :

Dear XXXX,

Unfortunately you need to hold permanent residency in Australia to be eligible for the METV.

You are eligible for a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa.  This can be extended for a further 30 days at a Thai Immigration office for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Kind regards,
Royal Thai Consulate, Perth Staff

Ground Floor
28-42 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth, WA 6005
Postal Address: PO BOX 848, West Perth, WA 6872
Tel: (08) 9226 2288
Email: [email protected] 

Dear XXXX,

Unfortunately you need to hold permanent residency in Australia to be eligible for the METV.

You are eligible for a 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa.  This can be extended for a further 30 days at a Thai Immigration office for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Kind regards,

Ground Floor
28-42 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth, WA 6005

So it appears they have done a u-turn - they replied to my email on the 18th Jan saying they could issue an METV (to a Brit without aussie residence)

Dear XXXX,

Kind regards,

Ground Floor
28-42 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth, WA 6005

So it appears they have done a u-turn - they replied to my email on the 18th Jan saying they could issue an METV (to a Brit without aussie residence)

Well can't tell but on the application form you must clearly specify a permanent address, that's why i asked them how it worked with a tourist visa and that was their answer.

Some time ago we had one report from a brit that he obtained an METV in Melbourne while on visit to AU. We also have a letter from perth with what appeared to be positive reply to inquiry from non Australian national wishing to obtain METV while in OZ.

Given number of tourists to AU one would imagine that there would be far more non Australian nationals that have obtained a METV while in au. Seems not.

Edited by jacksam

Some time ago we had one report from a brit that he obtained an METV in Melbourne while on visit to AU. We also have a letter from perth with what appeared to be positive reply to inquiry from non Australian national wishing to obtain METV while in OZ.

Given number of tourists to AU one would imagine that there would be far more non Australian nationals that have obtained a METV while in au. Seems not.

There was also an American that got one in Melbourne (copy of it is on the METV topic).

I suspect there may have been many that have gotten them but they might not be members of Thai visa. Perhaps even from the embassy or the consulate in Sydney.