Refund of Withheld Bank Interest - Online

CMBob

A year or so ago, we had a thread here about how to obtain a refund of the withheld interest (15%) involving some of the fixed bank deposits. The thread and general information is located here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/792009-interest-on-bank-deposit/

I had mentioned that I was going to try to get the refund online by myself this year so last Tuesday (January 12th), I gave it a try using last year's form as a guideline (given it's six pages and all in Thai, I needed that). I logged into the Revenue Department site (using my tax ID number as the username and the password I set with the Revenue Department last year) and then proceeded to fill out the online form (the form actually popped up with my name and most personal info already on it). Admittedly, some instruction page popped up which was all in Thai and that page required me to select what type of refund I was looking for - it had to do with bank interest withholding - and a Thai friend helped me figure out that part). Anyway, finished the form, printed out a copy, and that was it (heck, didn't even have to hit any "submit" or "enter" button at the end). Near the end of the form, I was given the option of having the check sent by EMS for 35 baht and I selected that option.

On Saturday (16th), I found an EMS notice in my mailbox. Headed down to the Phra Sing Post Office on Saam Laan this morning, retrieved the letter containing the check, and deposited the funds in my SCB bank account. What was slightly funny was about an hour after I deposited the check, I got a SMS on my phone from the Revenue Office announcing that they mailed out my refund check last Friday. No surprise there....

Also, for the last two years, I received a check which was actually a sight draft which, although you can deposit it, it took a day or two for the funds to be actually confirmed. This year, SCB immediately credited the amount to my account.

A rather quick and efficient process.

I got a letter from SC last year in which they asked for a tax number with some instruction for the same purpose. Ignored it so far. But probably will try to get a tax number, it's a at least 2 fillups for the pickup I could get back, so worth it.

Do like streetview,

Here is a picture of the tax office on the road near 700 year stadium - think it is for region 1 and 8. It is next to the TOT office.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@18.841323,98.9695697,3a,75y,229.2h,101.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDmFGMZjq6s90PoIMkwOYXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

EDIT - looks like the link is not clickable, copy and paste it into your browser.

Is it directly at canal road?

The Revenue (or Treasury?) building is toward the north end of the large governmental building complex on the southwest corner of where the 700 year road hits Chotana Road. None of the buildings in there are directly on the road (the Revenue Building faces Chotana Road but, like the rest of the buildings in that complex, is probably at least 300 yards from Chotana Road).

Archived