Business owners decry Koh Samet nightlife curfew

webfact

Business Owners Decry Koh Samet Nightlife Curfew
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

KOH SAMET — Those planning an all-nighter on the party island of Samet, beware: You may be in for disappointment.

Since Jan. 1, all bars and nightclubs must close by midnight, and all music stop by 11pm, under order from the military regime, a nightlife curfew which business operators complain is driving tourists away.

“It’s so quiet now. The economy is already bad,” Mookda Chomsiri, owner of Sawasdee Coco Resort, said in an interview by telephone Monday. “Tourists want to come here for parties. There are groups that specifically come here for that. We also have many gay bars. That’s what they want. Now that they can’t get it, they are upset.”

Even though her hotel doesn’t operate any bar or nightclub, Mookda and other proprietors said the curfew is adversely affecting tourism, and tourists are grumbling about the policy

Koh Samet is a national park, and the junta; known formally as the National Council for Peace and Order, or NCPO; said its order is meant to benefit tourists who prefer to sleep in peace.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453186511

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-19

I went to the Phi Phi islands back in the 1980's, there was only a small restaurant and a couple of rooms out the back, when I asked the owner why the islands where not developed he said, Oh they can't be this is a national park, now look at it, resorts and its own bar strip.

Can't understand why 2 or 3 places can't apply for late licences then everyone will know who they are and people wanting a quite nights sleep can book a room away from them.

Exactly. I thought that Sai Gaew Beach had already been designated as a 'nightlife' area, and thus we normally stay on Au Wong Duan, or other nearby coves. Within a walk or short taxi drive away.

The concept of "zoning" seems so hard for these people to comprehend? Or is this just a show of strength from other business operators with military connections?

Can't understand why 2 or 3 places can't apply for late licences then everyone will know who they are and people wanting a quite nights sleep can book a room away from them.

Exactly. I thought that Sai Gaew Beach had already been designated as a 'nightlife' area, and thus we normally stay on Au Wong Duan, or other nearby coves. Within a walk or short taxi drive away.

The concept of "zoning" seems so hard for these people to comprehend? Or is this just a show of strength from other business operators with military connections?

Zoning is koncept which would be ok,

But in thailand the zones are made by Big Brown envelopes !!

I sometimes wonder what is the things people come for? Early closures of bars, low quality of service (most of the time), robberies, high priced tuk-tuks and "free" taxis, muggings and so on. Not to mention the heat that feels rather tiresome at the moments.

I personally am really not into discos or noisy bars but like to sit and watch things going on from a distance. I prefer the quiet bar or pub with a view to the madness. The thing is just there is less and less interesting things to do when one has been here so long. Only thing I go to bars is to have a nice chat or new perspectives and even that is sometimes difficult.

Been Samet couple of times (3?) and it's overpriced, bad quality. Last time I complained that I was been eaten alive by hordes of bedbugs and the hotel/resort manager just smiled! No talk about compensation or changing the room or apologising...just a freaking smile!

And what is there to do during the day anyway? Drive around dirty plastic filled roads? Burn your skin on the beach that looks like a damp? Drink yourself silly all day? Have sex?

I suppose only reason people are still coming is that they have not realized that Thailand is past its best before date.

I predict that in 10 years there is not much tourists in Thailand. Not the ones they would like to have anyway and the only ones they can blame for this is themselves.

Koh Samet used to be a beautiful Island until Thai greed reared it's ugly head. Now it has too many bars and resorts and the last time I went the usual crappy beach activities like Jet skis, parascending, speed boats, countless banana boats etc

yeah, unfortunately but it's all to do with making $$$. Lets face it ... no one cares who thinks about what anymore ... there is to much greed.

Now while some folk would prefer the quite and easier not so noisy disco's, jet ski's and bars all night until 3.00am ..... there are others who enjoy this and come just for that.

I prefer the quieter .......

but you can't please everyone ... !! blink.png

Koh Samet used to be a beautiful Island until Thai greed reared it's ugly head. Now it has too many bars and resorts and the last time I went the usual crappy beach activities like Jet skis, parascending, speed boats, countless banana boats etc

coffee1.gif You failed to mention the rip off games the 'taxis' play. blink.png

The Junta and their '20 year plan' for tourism seems to be destroying it.

If you look at the demise of Samet over the last 30 years, you would agree there's not much left of its original beauty to destroy.

Perhaps the government is doing the best thing for Samet. Fewer tourists, less development, less destruction of the environment....sounds good to me.

I visited last year for the first time with a Thai friend who had not been for many years. The island is a disgrace, if you have imagination you can visualise how lovely it once was. I could have cried at appalling lack of respect for the environment. Not sure what closing bars early early and music will do. It Does not look like national park! it has a huge horrid road dirt road all around the island which has scarred the landscape of this very tiny island, full of rubbish and plastic. I think it was without doubt worse than phi phi which doesn't have roads scarring the landscape and still has unspoilt and quiet areas on the east coast.

Is Chiang Mai a national park too?! Same curfew for 6 months now. Tourists whom have encountered being thrown on the streets at 23.45 on their holiday will NEVER be back. Carry on like this, we'll see the true fruits in 2 years from now. I don't mind. Nice and quiet.

I don't mind a bit. Too many damn farang in Chiang Mai as it is! lol

cheesy.gif

The Junta and their '20 year plan' for tourism seems to be destroying it.

If you look at the demise of Samet over the last 30 years, you would agree there's not much left of its original beauty to destroy.

Perhaps the government is doing the best thing for Samet. Fewer tourists, less development, less destruction of the environment....sounds good to me.

So true!

As i have family living there who not live from tourists money, it would be good that koh samet get its natural beauty back. And yes 15 years ago it was undeveloped, primitive, but clean and quite. As well prices where fair for everyone. So i suport the idea to close all at midnight.

Haven't been to a beach resort in Thailand in almost thirty years. Greed overtakes and poisons anywhere where tourists go in large numbers. There remains in contrast, and fortunately, a large area of Thailand in which local people are still kind, considerate and generous in spirit.

Me and my friends were on Koh Samet during the 2004 Tsunami. We were on the SE side, Malibu resorts as I recall. Quaint little bungalows that had all I needed. At night the 7 or so little hotels up and down the beach had outdoor barbecues and you picked the fish and stuff you wanted cooked. Beautiful weather. Took the snorkel half day trip around the island and swam at two or three different spots. The coral was not that great looking and not a lot of marine life but the water seemed OK. I liked the peace and quiet as that is why we went. A fine dinner, some drinks and I was quite happy to be with my GF at night. We did not go there expecting any nightlife, which is really only at one place further up the island any way I think.

There are more beaches without bars, jet skis and speedboats than there are with them if you make the effort to avoid the main beaches

I visited last year for the first time with a Thai friend who had not been for many years. The island is a disgrace, if you have imagination you can visualise how lovely it once was. I could have cried at appalling lack of respect for the environment. Not sure what closing bars early early and music will do. It Does not look like national park! it has a huge horrid road dirt road all around the island which has scarred the landscape of this very tiny island, full of rubbish and plastic. I think it was without doubt worse than phi phi which doesn't have roads scarring the landscape and still has unspoilt and quiet areas on the east coast.

Plastic and rubbish is an epidemic throughout Thailand so im not sure why you thought Samet would be any different. They have put a concrete road all the way round the island now but im not sure that actually improves anything!

I don't understand the problem, the only nightlife is at Sae Kaew and Silver Sands and the rest of the island is quiet although there used to be a problem on Wong Duen with some of the bars playing loud music side by side so you could hear 3 songs at the same time.

I don't understand the problem, the only nightlife is at Sae Kaew and Silver Sands and the rest of the island is quiet although there used to be a problem on Wong Duen with some of the bars playing loud music side by side so you could hear 3 songs at the same time.

The main problem has been caused by Naga staying open to 5am. Allegedly Greenbay owners made a complaint an they have contacts high up.

Does it need to be "shake-the-mountains loud" or "go home"? Why can't they just be a bit quieter.

And those of you cheering this, it smacks of schadenfreude. Just because you are a crippled, bitter has-been doesn't mean the rest of us can't have a good time.

Archived