Thai Driving Licence

Go the the department of transportation and they will have an english handout on what you need.

Photocopy of pasport, residence certificate from Embassy or immigration, thai money for fee, maybe 500 baht, two pictures, U.K. drivers license and that is about it. The easiest thing you will do in Thailand involving the government, bar none.

how about if you do not have a drivers license from anywhere, nowhere, none, zip or zilch? Obviously because one has not stayed in one country long enough to obtain one. Can one still apply for a D/L with a marriage visa? The wifey tells me I have plenty of D/L's, look at all the 100 baht notes you have in your wallet :o

how about if you do not have a drivers license from anywhere, nowhere, none, zip or zilch? Obviously because one has not stayed in one country long enough to obtain one

then you have to sit the written test which is in thai, since not many falangs can read thai the person supervising the exam room will probably tick all the correct boxes on the exam paper for you and all you have to do is sign it before being given a "pass" grade and shortly afterwards you will receive your license.

I had to take all the written tests and they were in english,,but with the Thai translations they might as well been in Thai. You had to figure out what the guestion was before you could try for the answer. :D

Coarse I had my wife,who has had a license for about 20 years,she was giving me the answers,which I knew were wrong,but I used her answers,and sure enough,I missed almost every question,the next one I did my self and got enough right to get my license. and I magine she is standard for a thai.Just watch em drive and you will know that they don't know <deleted> about the book. :o

Go the the department of transportation and they will have an english handout on what you need.

Photocopy of pasport, residence certificate from Embassy or immigration, thai money for fee, maybe 500 baht, two pictures, U.K. drivers license and that is about it.  The easiest thing you will do in Thailand involving the government, bar none.

I'm being jerked around by the Pathum Thani folks, saying that I need my Work Permit as well! When I came back for the 3rd time, they said that because the Work Permit showed me living in Nonthaburi (from 4 yrs. prior), and even though I had an expiring 1 yr. licence showing me in Pathum Thani, I still had to either go to the Amphur Office or back to the Embassy to get another letter citing my residency in Pathum Thani! How do I report these guys for this gross example of dicking someone around!

Photocopy of pasport, residence certificate from Embassy or immigration, thai money for fee, maybe 500 baht, two pictures, U.K. drivers license and that is about it.  The easiest thing you will do in Thailand involving the government, bar none.

I'm being jerked around by the Pathum Thani folks, saying that I need my Work Permit as well! When I came back for the 3rd time, they said that because the Work Permit showed me living in Nonthaburi (from 4 yrs. prior), and even though I had an expiring 1 yr. licence showing me in Pathum Thani, I still had to either go to the Amphur Office or back to the Embassy to get another letter citing my residency in Pathum Thani! How do I report these guys for this gross example of dicking someone around!

Put it down to experience. The system will get if you do cause trouble. No work permit is required. Get a 5 year license this time.

First Thai license is for one year. Thereafter ( since mid 2003 ) you can get a five year license. You will also need a simple medical cerificate ( basically indicating that you actually walked into the doc's office unaided and paid your 100 baht :o

T i T )

The local DOT here where I live near Bangkok says there is no such thing as a foreigner being able to get a license valid for five years, is there an official document I can refer them to? I have had a Thai license for thirteen years now. I should know this but age is creeping in. Thanks.

First Thai license is for one year. Thereafter ( since mid 2003 ) you can get a five year license. You will also need a simple medical cerificate ( basically indicating that you actually walked into the doc's office unaided and paid your 100 baht  :o

T i T )

The local DOT here where I live near Bangkok says there is no such thing as a foreigner being able to get a license valid for five years, is there an official document I can refer them to? I have had a Thai license for thirteen years now. I should know this but age is creeping in. Thanks.

Maybe the new rules haven't filtered through. Try another office. I know many farang that have the new 5 year number since its introduction mid last year. They ceased issuing Thai people with Life Licenses at the same time. Maybe they are hanging out for tea money. Take a Thai with you when you go again.

First Thai license is for one year. Thereafter ( since mid 2003 ) you can get a five year license. You will also need a simple medical cerificate ( basically indicating that you actually walked into the doc's office unaided and paid your 100 baht  :o

T i T )

Maybe the new rules haven't filtered through. Try another office. I know many farang that have the new 5 year number since its introduction mid last year. They ceased issuing Thai people with Life Licenses at the same time. Maybe they are hanging out for tea money. Take a Thai with you when you go again.

You're probably right about the filtering process, I'll try again, thanks.

Everything you need to know about getting Driving license.

http://www.thaiimmigration.com/UsefulLinks.php

GOAT Print this info off. It is clear that Nong Khai will issue 5 year licenses to farangs. Everywhere should be the same but T i T :o

Got it thanks, I'll go back Monday with my wife this time and to a different DOT office per your suggestion, I have until Wednesday next week to renew. If I am able to be granted a five year valid car/motorcycle license this will ease some of the pain with having to deal with the Thai government.

I will let you know. Thanks again doc.