Buddhism and Fasting

VincentRJ

What I find quite fascinating about the Buddha's life story, is his period of extreme fasting to the point of almost complete starvation. Realising that he might die without achieving enlightenment if he continued fasting, he resumed eating, lost a few ascetic followers as a result, developed the principle of 'everything in moderation', and a short time later achieved enlightenment during a night under the Bodhi Tree. How much later is not clear.

Recent medical research on the benefits of fasting suggest some remarkable benefits. During times when the body is free of the chores of digesting food, it is able to attend to and fix certain medical problems that might exist, which we might not be aware of. There is evidence from scientific research, that fasting can be just as effective as chemotherapy and radiotherapy in curing cancer, and without the side effects.

A combination of fasting and chemotherapy can be the most effective treatment of all, and with reduced side effects. More research needs to be done, so please don't take this as gospel. However, the process, as explained, makes sense to me.

Apparently, the body's healthy cells are able to cope with deprivation of food, for a limited period of time of perhaps 30 to 40 days. However the cancer cells are programmed to keep on reproducing. Without food they can't, and they die.

Most of the controlled experiments have been done on mice and rats. It's difficult to put humans in a completely controlled environment, or at least, it's rather expensive, but there are lots of anecodotal reports of the benefits of fasting as well as some controlled research on humans.

The following additional benefits of fasting are also quite remarkable. Apparently, during deprivation of food, the body has a natural response to stimulate the brain to search for food. It does this by creating new brain cells. Wow! That's just what I need. wink.png

Also, as the body burns up the excess fat, in place of food which would normally have been eaten, it also consumes dormant and defective white blood cells. After the fast is broken and one resumes eating, those dormant and useless white blood cells are replaced with healthy, active cells, resulting in a better and more effective immune system. Wow!

I can't help seeing a connection here between the Buddha's period of fasting and his subsequent enlightenment, assuming these modern research results are correct. The benefits of fasting tend to become apparent after one resumes eating. During the fast itself one gradually becomes weaker and weaker, of course.

I find it significant that the Buddha recommended a lifestyle of moderate fasting for the monks. One meal a day can be described as moderate fasting, that is, a fast for about 23 hours every day. I therefore become rather suspicious of abbots and Buddhist authority figures who are overweight. They are depriving themselves of the benefits of fasting and are not following the Buddha's recommendation regarding eating habits.

Here's a summary from the Venerable K. Sri Dhammananda Maha Thera, on the religious significance of fasting.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/214.htm

Monks, apparently, can eat anytime up until noon, although this is normally twice a day. But it isn't really fasting.

Having one meal a day is one of the optional Dhutanga rules.

In the old days monks did a lot of walking on dhutanga, and food was scarce. I imagine some monks these days have the double problem of no exercise and too much non-alms-round food offered at the monastery.

Monks, apparently, can eat anytime up until noon, although this is normally twice a day. But it isn't really fasting.

Having one meal a day is one of the optional Dhutanga rules.

In the old days monks did a lot of walking on dhutanga, and food was scarce. I imagine some monks these days have the double problem of no exercise and too much non-alms-round food offered at the monastery.

Yes. That makes sense, and could be a problem.

I like to think that we can combine the wisdom of Buddhism with the wisdom of modern scientific research, to everyone's benefit. I suspect Gautama was fasting because it was a traditional thing to do. I suspect he wouldn't have been aware of the biological processes relating to the benefits of fasting, but he seems to have been aware of the general benefits of a restricted diet and avoidance of gluttony.

Many people seem to follow rules simply because they are rules from authorities which they trust, but often such people don't seem to understand the fundamental reasons behind such rules, so in a sense they are behaving like automatons. I refuse to behave like an automaton. wink.png

Hi V.

I can attest to fasting and reducing meals to once a day.

I conduct a 4 day fast once a year.

I also attend an annual retreat in which, on most days, there are two meal sittings (before noon), culminating in one meal per day.

I found that the amount of food consumed in a sitting is critical to ones ability to concentrate.

Eat too much and concentration is extremely difficult.

I would rarely fill my bowl more than halfway.

I summarize the digestive process as: Ingestion, digestion, assimilation, & elimination.

My mornings would begin at 4.00am.

I will drink 600ml of water and follow this with an elimination session (evacuation), and then I would bathe.

Group Sitting Meditation commences after 4.30am.

Some of my deepest and most profound Samadhi experiences have been during this early period.

With a gut emptied of toxins and waste, the body feels relaxed and the mind calm and alert.

A perfect state from which to practice Concentration & Awareness.

Some retreatants were observed consuming 2 or 3 large filled bowls at a sitting.

For them there would be no meditation, entering deep states of drowsiness whilst their bodies attempted to digest what they had over consumed.

Limiting consumption to one meal a day and ensuring an early quality bout of elimination will set you up with the ideal conditions for quality practice.

Unfortunately most have no awareness on the impact of their bodies and their minds from consumption anchored in desire rather than for sustenance.

I think the Buddha's insistence on no sex and restrictions on food was because they are the two powerful cravings that almost everyone has since birth and which generate strong physical sensations, i.e. if one can overcome those two cravings it is a major step towards eradicating all the "defilements." I doubt it had anything at all to do with good health. In fact, it could easily lead to bad health since monks depended on food donated by poor villagers - probably rice and not much else.

I read somewhere that the high rates of diabetes among Thai monks these days is because of laypersons giving them "delicious" (i.e. full of sugar) food rather than nutritious food, plus the lack of exercise since the forests were cut down, leaving few places for a long thudong. Not that many modern monks want to do a real thudong, of course.

Good point about a full stomach and the difficulty in concentration, Rocky. Oddly enough, I often find that a high-protein meal results in better meditation but difficulty in sleeping. Coffee has the same effect. You'd think something that excites the mind would make it more difficult to still the mind, but that isn't my experience.

Hi V.

I can attest to fasting and reducing meals to once a day.

I conduct a 4 day fast once a year.

I also attend an annual retreat in which, on most days, there are two meal sittings (before noon), culminating in one meal per day.

I found that the amount of food consumed in a sitting is critical to ones ability to concentrate.

Eat too much and concentration is extremely difficult.

I would rarely fill my bowl more than halfway.

I summarize the digestive process as: Ingestion, digestion, assimilation, & elimination.

My mornings would begin at 4.00am.

I will drink 600ml of water and follow this with an elimination session (evacuation), and then I would bathe.

Group Sitting Meditation commences after 4.30am.

Some of my deepest and most profound Samadhi experiences have been during this early period.

With a gut emptied of toxins and waste, the body feels relaxed and the mind calm and alert.

A perfect state from which to practice Concentration & Awareness.

Some retreatants were observed consuming 2 or 3 large filled bowls at a sitting.

For them there would be no meditation, entering deep states of drowsiness whilst their bodies attempted to digest what they had over consumed.

Limiting consumption to one meal a day and ensuring an early quality bout of elimination will set you up with the ideal conditions for quality practice.

Unfortunately most have no awareness on the impact of their bodies and their minds from consumption anchored in desire rather than for sustenance.

Hi Rocky,

I frequently eat just one meal a day, and never more than two. I began occasional fasting a couple of years ago after reading about the research on the health benefits, which I find quite exciting.

So far, I've fasted 3 or 4 times for a full two-day period, once for a full three-day period, and just recently for almost a 4-day period, or to be precise, 92 hours, 4 hours short of a full 4 days.

During this recent 4-day fast, I was pleased that I had enough energy to go for a walk and a bit of a jog in the evening of the first day after a fairly normal day's activity. During the 2nd and 3rd days I had enough energy to do a bit of heavy work in the garden pulling up tall weeds and shovelling and spreading top soil. (Hope I didn't kill any worms. wink.png )

During the 4th day I began to feel a significant lack of energy, but surprisingly I didn't feel any particularly uncomfortable hunger pangs and felt I could have continued fasting for 5 days at least, if I hadn't made a previous commitment to have dinner with a friend.

During the whole period I felt quite relaxed and did a bit of meditating, concentrating on my breath. I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to fast at my hideaway retreat. Hopefully I'll have more time to meditate and I'll try to extend my fast for 5 days.

By the way, when I fast I don't take any food whatsoever, nor any fruit juice, tea, vitamins or pills of any description. I drink only water.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rocky,

I frequently eat just one meal a day, and never more than two. I began occasional fasting a couple of years ago after reading about the research on the health benefits, which I find quite exciting.

So far, I've fasted 3 or 4 times for a full two-day period, once for a full three-day period, and just recently for almost a 4-day period, or to be precise, 92 hours, 4 hours short of a full 4 days.

During this recent 4-day fast, I was pleased that I had enough energy to go for a walk and a bit of a jog in the evening of the first day after a fairly normal day's activity. During the 2nd and 3rd days I had enough energy to do a bit of heavy work in the garden pulling up tall weeds and shovelling and spreading top soil. (Hope I didn't kill any worms. wink.png )

During the 4th day I began to feel a significant lack of energy, but surprisingly I didn't feel any particularly uncomfortable hunger pangs and felt I could have continued fasting for 5 days at least, if I hadn't made a previous commitment to have dinner with a friend.

During the whole period I felt quite relaxed and did a bit of meditating, concentrating on my breath. I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to fast at my hideaway retreat. Hopefully I'll have more time to meditate and I'll try to extend my fast for 5 days.

By the way, when I fast I don't take any food whatsoever, nor any fruit juice, tea, vitamins or pills of any description. I drink only water.

I envy your situation.

Is your weight stable?

How did you find meditation during fasting vs meditation at other times?

Hi Rocky,

I envy your situation.

Is your weight stable?

How did you find meditation during fasting vs meditation at other times?

I have to confess, Rocky, that my primary motivation for fasting is for the health benefits rather than the spiritual benefits, although I believe that both are connected.

I haven't yet fasted often enough nor meditated often enough during periods of fasting and non-fasting to be able to discern a clear difference and make a reliable comparison, but this is something I hope to be able to work on, in the future.

At present, I can't help wondering if the effects of the extreme fasting that Gautama did prior to his enlightenment, at least partially contributed to his subsequent enlightenment as a result of the biological changes that took place in his mind and body during those extreme periods of fasting.

After he began eating again, many defective cells that his body would have consumed as food, as a result of the body's natural and instinctive drive to survive, would gradually have been replaced with healthy and fully-functioning cells. Also, if it's true that the body creates new neurons and synapses during periods of prolonged fasting, in its attempt to help the mind recognize, discern and discover new sources of food essential for the person's survival, then it's reasonable to presume that the Buddha would have experienced a partially new and revitalized body and mind after recovering from his prolonged period of fasting.

It's also reasonable to presume or deduce that this new and revitalized state of mind would have contributed towards, and perhaps even been essential for Gautama's subsequent enlightenment.

This is just a hypothesis, but it makes sense to me. However, I would not recommend that anyone try to emulate this part of Gautama's experiment on his path to enlightenment. The Buddha's later principle of 'moderation' should also apply to fasting.

I have to confess, Rocky, that my primary motivation for fasting is for the health benefits rather than the spiritual benefits, although I believe that both are connected.

I haven't yet fasted often enough nor meditated often enough during periods of fasting and non-fasting to be able to discern a clear difference and make a reliable comparison, but this is something I hope to be able to work on, in the future.

At present, I can't help wondering if the effects of the extreme fasting that Gautama did prior to his enlightenment, at least partially contributed to his subsequent enlightenment as a result of the biological changes that took place in his mind and body during those extreme periods of fasting.

After he began eating again, many defective cells that his body would have consumed as food, as a result of the body's natural and instinctive drive to survive, would gradually have been replaced with healthy and fully-functioning cells. Also, if it's true that the body creates new neurons and synapses during periods of prolonged fasting, in its attempt to help the mind recognize, discern and discover new sources of food essential for the person's survival, then it's reasonable to presume that the Buddha would have experienced a partially new and revitalized body and mind after recovering from his prolonged period of fasting.

It's also reasonable to presume or deduce that this new and revitalized state of mind would have contributed towards, and perhaps even been essential for Gautama's subsequent enlightenment.

This is just a hypothesis, but it makes sense to me. However, I would not recommend that anyone try to emulate this part of Gautama's experiment on his path to enlightenment. The Buddha's later principle of 'moderation' should also apply to fasting.

Agreed, this is speculation.

My thoughts are that he ended up choosing the middle way.

Not over eating, but eating mindfully, purely to sustain his body.

I think periodic fasting (perhaps monthly or quarterly) would help health and vitality in many ways.

This fits in to hunter gatherer man. Periods during which humans often went without when hunting was not so fruitful.

The body uses a substantial amount of energy just to digest food.

Over consuming impacts in many ways, not least of all, causing lethargy and torpor.

Eating once a day with modest portions should allow ones body/mind to optimally practice concentration/mindfulness.

The aim being to achieve samadhi easily at each sit, and to be able to hold such states for many hours each day over a period.

This is required to allow investigation and personal experience.

Agreed, this is speculation.

My thoughts are that he ended up choosing the middle way.

Not over eating, but eating mindfully, purely to sustain his body.

Rocky, I think part of the speculation is a result of the unreliability of the historical accounts relating to Gautama's activities during his periods of fasting. Accounts of his eating just one grain of rice a day for long periods, seem a bit absurd.

However, Gautama's advice to adopt the 'middle way' is very sound and I think appropriate for many modern-day activities, particularly if they are new activities which we are not used to, such as taking up jogging after spending half a life of little exercise but excessive eating, or trying out fasting as a remedy for obesity.

There is also the situation to be taken into account, that modern circumstances are different to those that the Buddha would have experienced. For example, all food would presumably have been truly organically grown, with no application of artificial fertilizers and noxious pesticides, and the water drunk, whilst being contaminated with natural bacteria, would not have been sterilized with toxic chemicals such as chlorine, ozone and hydrogen peroxide etc. Any fish eaten would not have been contaminated with heavy metals, and food in general would not have been subjected to the heavy processing which is applied to many modern foods with added fructose, preservatives and taste enhancers.

One of the benefits of periodic fasting is to detoxify the body from the accumulation of these unnatural, modern food additives, which the people who lived during the times of the Buddha would not have been exposed to. Even a simple bowl of unprocessed brown rice would have been far more sustainable in those days than the modern white rice that Thais place in the monks' alms bowls.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, a very interesting topic, this

im not surprised that it hasnt been brought up before. why? in thailand food and

the pleasure it gives is so important. one could say the whole life revolves around eating and drinking

in the temples, fasting is hardly ever mentioned, very very few have fasted--even 1 or 2 days

its considered a wrong thing to do. a monk decides to fast.......is given no support, no encouragement

people will ask why you fasting? and one has to spend 10 minutes telling them it cleans you out, good

for the body, good for the mind. they still dont get it. you dont like the food we offer?

nobody wants to see monks fasting

in my opinion, half of the stuff that comes up, the stuff that has to be endured......is uneccessary

the denatured, chemically laden, processed junk food that we eat creates a whole pile of feelings,

emotions, tiredness, laziness, hyperativity, sickness, pain and foggy awareness. plus at times

we are driven to distraction. no peace in the body

wasnt it Buddhadasa Bhikkhu that said........if the body is not peaceful, the mind will not concentrate

what we consume is critical. progress is largely determined by it. im talking generally, the vast amount

of cases. of course progress can be made dispite what one eats.

in this modern chemical and processed world, the neccessity of a thorough cleanout every 6-12 months

is a must, imo

when stuck in practice, how many of you wonder if its anything to do with a polluted body?

hey, a very interesting topic, this

im not surprised that it hasnt been brought up before. why? in thailand food and

the pleasure it gives is so important. one could say the whole life revolves around eating and drinking

in the temples, fasting is hardly ever mentioned, very very few have fasted--even 1 or 2 days

its considered a wrong thing to do. a monk decides to fast.......is given no support, no encouragement

people will ask why you fasting? and one has to spend 10 minutes telling them it cleans you out, good

for the body, good for the mind. they still dont get it. you dont like the food we offer?

nobody wants to see monks fasting

in my opinion, half of the stuff that comes up, the stuff that has to be endured......is uneccessary

the denatured, chemically laden, processed junk food that we eat creates a whole pile of feelings,

emotions, tiredness, laziness, hyperativity, sickness, pain and foggy awareness. plus at times

we are driven to distraction. no peace in the body

wasnt it Buddhadasa Bhikkhu that said........if the body is not peaceful, the mind will not concentrate

what we consume is critical. progress is largely determined by it. im talking generally, the vast amount

of cases. of course progress can be made dispite what one eats.

in this modern chemical and processed world, the neccessity of a thorough cleanout every 6-12 months

is a must, imo

when stuck in practice, how many of you wonder if its anything to do with a polluted body?

Hi jikwan,

Glad you find the topic interesting, and I agree completely that the pleasure of eating tasty food is considered to be a very important part of life for most people in most societies. Depriving oneself of the pleasures of eating, whether temporarily for the purpose of fasting, or as a result of changing one's diet to a healthy and wholesome diet without the alluring taste of sugar, fats, salt, spices and artificial taste enhancers, seems to be too difficult for most people.

However, for those interested in leading a Buddhist lifestyle, an inability to control one's appetite for tasty food, could be a huge obstacle to progress, in my opinion, as well as an obstacle to a healthy life without the necessity of frequent visits to the doctor.

hey, vin

this whole consumption-detox-drink enough pure water-eat healthy-dont eat junk thing is huge

oh i forgot eating little. buddhism dont give it too much importance, unlike the hindu/taoist systems

what weve discussed so far is a fraction

im saying this: if you cant/wont address, and get right, these health issues then it will make

your buddhist spiritual development into a drag

the calcified pineal gland is another important issue

big subject!

big subject!

Ah! The third eye. That's not something I've investigated much.

I have a wholesome diet, regular exercise and periods of quietude or meditation, so I don't feel I have to worry about the future. But I'm not fanatical about it. I still occasionally enjoy a glass or two of wine. biggrin.png

big subject!

Ah! The third eye. That's not something I've investigated much.

I have a wholesome diet, regular exercise and periods of quietude or meditation, so I don't feel I have to worry about the future. But I'm not fanatical about it. I still occasionally enjoy a glass or two of wine. biggrin.png

good for you, V

must admit, im a fanatic and my standards are much different

we cant all be the same

keep on trucking!

Archived