Dengue fever cases in Thailand have quadrupled in one week

webfact

Dengue fever cases in Thailand have quadrupled in one week
STAFF WRITER

dengue-fever.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The past week has seen the number of reported Dengue Fever cases in Thailand rise from 583 in 53 provinces to 2,380 in 67 provinces, as of yesterday.

Bangkok is the province most affected, according to Outbreak News Today with 17.34 cases reported per 100,000 population.

No deaths have yet been reported from the latest figures although the Kingdom has been mourning the tragic passing of Thrisadee “Por” Sahawong, who succumbed to complications from the disease earlier this week.

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry expect Dengue cases to rise by over 16 percent this year to 166,000 – up from 142,925 during 2015. Of those, 141 cases proved fatal.

Most of the new cases reported this year struck in young people aged between 15 and 24, according to Dr Sopon Mekthon, permanent secretary of public health. This demographic is reportedly most at risk from the disease.

As the world’s fastest-spreading tropical disease, the mosquito-borne Dengue Fever poses a significant challenge to public health in Thailand. The World Health Organisation says around 50 million cases of the disease occur every year, according to Coconuts.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/dengue-fever-cases-in-thailand-have-quadrupled-in-one-week/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-01-21

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the new cases reported this year struck in young people aged between 15 and 24, according to Dr Sopon Mekthon, permanent secretary of public health. This demographic is reportedly most at risk from the disease.

does anyone happen to know the scientific reason for this?

It's an interesting question indeed. Dengue is mostly contracted during the daytime. Perhaps this age range is more likely to come into contact with Aedes aegypti if they are outside. Aegypti will mostly breed around houses. Perhaps this age range is more likely to be at home at this time and/or more active outdoors, thus more likely to come into contact with mosquitoes.

The long period of dry, followed by the recent rains in BKK have probably caused a mass emergence on mosquitoes. Aedes eggs generally need to be dried (conditioned), before they hatch.

After that celebrity Por passed away from that disease, it's suddenly big news, though this disease has been in South East Asia for ages aka unreported for the sake of Thailand's image.....

He should still be alive. He was initially misdiagnosed at a private hospital. He had been infected with dengue before, and the result can be DHF. If he had gone to a local hospital in the boonies the doctors would have recognised in straight away, as they see similar cases a lot. Por was in a bad state for more than two months before he died. I believe he was being kept alive to help 'prepare' Thais for the inevitable.

I have had it 3 times over a 4 year period. Dont tell me you cant get it twice because you can. Am living proof of it. But that is not the point. Here in Bangkok where I live the mosquito problem is rampant! I live next to a wet market that operates from 4AM till noon. Have asked the govt department that deals with it to come over after my 3rd infection to fume the place. But nope!!! The market people went nuts claiming they loose a days trade. Oh well.... And lately the kids at the market here also got infected but still they wont budge! Guess as soon as the kids of the owner get it something will be done.

speaking of private hospitals.... that's why in Chiangmai I think the best bet in town is the Siripat Clinic at Maharatt Hospital.... over any others because they have the volume of patients of complex cases as well. I'd rather be treated by staff who have a lot of experience than a fancy place with a helipad and a great coffee shop but can't even get the basic stuff done such as correctly taking & recording a patient's temperature for the doctor's interview (mine, this happened but NOT at Maharrat for sure.... i.e. this not a story it's real) as "normal" when in fact, both before and after it was 104 degrees F... let alone have experience with many patients as the only ones they have are a handfull of farlang. at the private hospital the politics between the doctors and nursing staff, and appearances of having all the latest and greatest equipment and clean white doctor's uniforms is more important than making a simple and basic, and also correct, diagnosis.

I have had it 3 times over a 4 year period. Dont tell me you cant get it twice because you can. Am living proof of it. But that is not the point. Here in Bangkok where I live the mosquito problem is rampant! I live next to a wet market that operates from 4AM till noon. Have asked the govt department that deals with it to come over after my 3rd infection to fume the place. But nope!!! The market people went nuts claiming they loose a days trade. Oh well.... And lately the kids at the market here also got infected but still they wont budge! Guess as soon as the kids of the owner get it something will be done.

I don't think you can get the same variety of Dengue twice; but there are four varieties about. I've had DHF twice, and in each case spent extra money to have them serotyped. Two down; two to go.

Typical Thai.................. do nothing bury head pretend nothing will happen suggest "you" are the problem etc do anything but actually keep places neat clean and tidy and get rid of all standing water.............nah to difficult just more laziness.....got staff here they always leave buckets/bowls turned the right way up so they fill full of water, a nice breeding ground for the mosquitoes, explained it to them..........nah no change.

Let em die I say.

i'm not sure if this is correct. Singapore regularly publishes statistics with regards to their dengue cases and there are many older people that get infected too. If there is a difference, it must have to do with some people having built up some immunity against it.

fumigating only kills the adult mosquitos, it doesn't resolve the problem of breeding mosquitos. Best is to eliminate stagnant water where mosquitos can breed. If you fumigate, you have to do it regularly, say 2 times per week for it to be effective. And even in places like Singapore they say it's not very effective. Eliminating breeding is most important.

After that celebrity Por passed away from that disease, it's suddenly big news, though this disease has been in South East Asia for ages aka unreported for the sake of Thailand's image.....

He should still be alive. He was initially misdiagnosed at a private hospital. He had been infected with dengue before, and the result can be DHF. If he had gone to a local hospital in the boonies the doctors would have recognised in straight away, as they see similar cases a lot. Por was in a bad state for more than two months before he died. I believe he was being kept alive to help 'prepare' Thais for the inevitable.
just to be clear, even if they diagnose you with dengue there is not much they can do except for hydrating you and giving you pain killer. So standard treatment when you get diagnosed with dengue is to keep hydrated, stay home and relax and take pain killer. If the fever gets worse come back to hospital again.

I have to disagree with those saying that this is now coming to the forefront because of the movie star death. This is an annual problem and widely reported. Here in Chiang Mai they have active campaigns, billboards, pamphlets handed out in the villages and the govt goes around spraying. In my area they hand out a powder to put in any standing water to kill breeding mosquitoes. I think if someone would care to search it is also a popular topic on Thai Visa every year.

When it becomes hemorrhagic, blood transfusions can be given to some extent. I had it once in Singapore. Doctor thought I had it again a few months ago when I had an unexplained fever for a few days, but they could not find anything in blood tests and it went away. Scary stuff though if you get it more than once. Even once is a hard slog to recovery.

I'm so thankful that I am one of the lucky few who manages to produce a natural repellent to mosquitoes. There have been many studies undertaken to find out why, and theories range from CO2 release, diet and a natural production of several hormones and chemicals. I have been in LOS for 6 years now and can count how many times I have been bitten on 1 hand, again luckily. More studies need to head towards this because the mosquito is the single most deadliest thing to our species.

Nonsense, the Health Ministry has been issuing Annual Epidemiological Surveillance Reports since 1958, the year of the first serious dengue outbreak in Bangkok. (The first reported cases in Thailand came only in 1949.) There is a huge amount of public information on the subject in Thai, if you bother to look.

Since Thrisadee “Por” Sahawong has been elevated to near Sainthood because of his very sad and slow death ... it is hardly surprising to see the number of "REPORTED" cases increase four fold.

Wait a few weeks .. there will be a miraculous decline in reported cases.

My experience of being diagnosed with dengue fever was just the opposite.I went to the local clinic having not eaten for 4 days ( zero appetite ) dizzy and with red spots on my body i told the doctor i thought i had dengue fever, his reply, no, you are dizzy because you are old (62) no tests,nothing. I went to a private hospital who did blood and urine tests and was told i would be given immediate admission as i was going into shock.

I understand that that 'preparation' cost Baht 18,000,000.00 (in hospital treatment expenses, some Thai told me).

It's sad that he did not survive it.

When it becomes hemorrhagic, blood transfusions can be given to some extent. I had it once in Singapore. Doctor thought I had it again a few months ago when I had an unexplained fever for a few days, but they could not find anything in blood tests and it went away. Scary stuff though if you get it more than once. Even once is a hard slog to recovery.

There are i believe 4 different types of dengue fever some worse than others. Having had it once makes it worse if you have it a second or third time not better, so the doctor told me. A German rep from my firm in Malaysia caught it for the 3rd time and had 3 blood transfusions, the doc told him never to come to Asia again because the next infection would kill him, he was recalled back to Germany.

MMS cures dengue in about 4 hours. [done it myself -works !!!]

So does Vitamin C and lots of water.

Problem is: It's all too cheap and there is no profit in cheap stuff.

That's why cheap solutions are always rejected from the health-business-professionals ... bad for the people but good for business.

It's an insane system we live in.

MMS cures dengue in about 4 hours. [done it myself -works !!!]

So does Vitamin C and lots of water.

Problem is: It's all too cheap and there is no profit in cheap stuff.

That's why cheap solutions are always rejected from the health-business-professionals ... bad for the people but good for business.

It's an insane system we live in.

Bad and dangerous advice which others should ignore.

There is NO "cure" for dengue but on occasion very specific medical treatment is required to counter the effects of potentially lethal "complications"

Use alot of bug spray. If you dont like the nasty stuff, try some natural stuff. I blend one part citronella, with two parts eucalyptus oil, and two parts lemon grass. I dilute it with one part water. It works really well. Only for about two hours, but that is usually enough. It smells pretty nice too, and it is not toxic.

I live in a small road of 6 houses. At the bottom there has been a water leak for a year or so, with stagnant water lying around. I've just been to look at it again and there are all sorts of 'bugs' flying around at surface level.

The Thai guy next door is, I think, some sort of village chief. I've mentioned this problem to him as he has young kids who cycle up and down the road. All I go t was a shrug of the shoulders.

Archived