Dengue fever cases in Thailand have quadrupled in one week

webfact

What about Papaya leave juice...

There was a post on another thread on this forums a few weeks ago with a youtube video....

Many comments of people around the world that said it work for them? myth, hoax?

It only works if you swing a live dodo bird around your head 10 times.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speaking of private hospitals.... that's why in Chiangmai I think the best bet in town is the Siripat Clinic at Maharatt Hospital.... over any others because they have the volume of patients of complex cases as well. I'd rather be treated by staff who have a lot of experience than a fancy place with a helipad and a great coffee shop but can't even get the basic stuff done such as correctly taking & recording a patient's temperature for the doctor's interview (mine, this happened but NOT at Maharrat for sure.... i.e. this not a story it's real) as "normal" when in fact, both before and after it was 104 degrees F... let alone have experience with many patients as the only ones they have are a handfull of farlang. at the private hospital the politics between the doctors and nursing staff, and appearances of having all the latest and greatest equipment and clean white doctor's uniforms is more important than making a simple and basic, and also correct, diagnosis.

Whats even worse is the private hospital are trying to charge the family of Por (The actor) 18 million baht for his poor treatment.

"they always leave buckets/bowls turned the right way up so they fill full of water, a nice breeding ground for the mosquitoes"

I can tell the city slickers every time this topic comes up.

In order to eliminate stagnant water, you would have to eliminate all rice production.

Rice needs stagnant water to grow.

I have to disagree with those saying that this is now coming to the forefront because of the movie star death. This is an annual problem and widely reported. Here in Chiang Mai they have active campaigns, billboards, pamphlets handed out in the villages and the govt goes around spraying. In my area they hand out a powder to put in any standing water to kill breeding mosquitoes. I think if someone would care to search it is also a popular topic on Thai Visa every year.

Gee you're lucky. I live in T Haiya abutting the old city of Chiang Mai and haven't see any spraying for over two years. No powder no pamphlets no nothing. Just mozzies.

I live in a village on the outskirts of Udon Thani and the government regularly come and smoke up the garden for free. I dont know how long this treatment lasts as I see mosquitos flying around the garden next day seemingly unaffected. Maybe the smoke is a safe non toxic type?

it's fatal that the existing dengue fever vaccine is not available here in Thailand....!

From Wikipedia:- "As there is no commercially available vaccine, prevention is sought by reducing the habitat and the number of mosquitoes and limiting exposure to bites.

From WebMD:- "There is no vaccine to prevent dengue fever."

From Mayo Clinic:- "Researchers are working on dengue fever vaccines".

So what existing dengue fever vaccine do you know about that these sources don't?

Take moment, open the link and learn

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/44751/title/First-Dengue-Vax-Approved/

Point taken - so will you be notifying Wikipedia, WebMD, Mayo Clinic or will you leave it up to "The Scientist.com"?

MMS cures dengue in about 4 hours. [done it myself -works !!!]

So does Vitamin C and lots of water.

Problem is: It's all too cheap and there is no profit in cheap stuff.

That's why cheap solutions are always rejected from the health-business-professionals ... bad for the people but good for business.

It's an insane system we live in.

Massive dose of liposomal Vit C 400mg+ ... get blood test. MMS does work but is a last resort. Vit C and boosting immune function ... iodine, magnesium etc is the way to go. Let your food be your medicine.

Most of the new cases reported this year struck in young people aged between 15 and 24, according to Dr Sopon Mekthon, permanent secretary of public health. This demographic is reportedly most at risk from the disease.

does anyone happen to know the scientific reason for this?

It's an interesting question indeed. Dengue is mostly contracted during the daytime. Perhaps this age range is more likely to come into contact with Aedes aegypti if they are outside. Aegypti will mostly breed around houses. Perhaps this age range is more likely to be at home at this time and/or more active outdoors, thus more likely to come into contact with mosquitoes.

The long period of dry, followed by the recent rains in BKK have probably caused a mass emergence on mosquitoes. Aedes eggs generally need to be dried (conditioned), before they hatch.

" Dengue is mostly contracted during the daytime." are there figures for this????

That's why cheap solutions are always rejected from the health-business-professionals ... bad for the people but good for business.

Massive dose of liposomal Vit C 400mg+ ... get blood test. MMS does work but is a last resort. Vit C and boosting immune function ... iodine, magnesium etc is the way to go. Let your food be your medicine.

Utter nonsense!

Typical conspiracy theorist who is willing to endanger people's lives over their misguided propaganda.

So every doctor that there has ever been is an unethical shill who won't use alternate medicine because it would be bad for big business? Not because alternate medicine is all faith based nonsense which has been proven to be lies by so many real case studies? The only reason tin hatters want to believe it works is because it suits their anti-goverment agenda.

speaking of private hospitals.... that's why in Chiangmai I think the best bet in town is the Siripat Clinic at Maharatt Hospital.... over any others because they have the volume of patients of complex cases as well. I'd rather be treated by staff who have a lot of experience than a fancy place with a helipad and a great coffee shop but can't even get the basic stuff done such as correctly taking & recording a patient's temperature for the doctor's interview (mine, this happened but NOT at Maharrat for sure.... i.e. this not a story it's real) as "normal" when in fact, both before and after it was 104 degrees F... let alone have experience with many patients as the only ones they have are a handfull of farlang. at the private hospital the politics between the doctors and nursing staff, and appearances of having all the latest and greatest equipment and clean white doctor's uniforms is more important than making a simple and basic, and also correct, diagnosis.

Whats even worse is the private hospital are trying to charge the family of Por (The actor) 18 million baht for his poor treatment.

What qualifies you to allege "poor" treatment ?

Unless you have a medical degree and full access to all the clinical records I would suggest your "opinion" is best kept to yourself and not repeated.

it's fatal that the existing dengue fever vaccine is not available here in Thailand....!

From Wikipedia:- "As there is no commercially available vaccine, prevention is sought by reducing the habitat and the number of mosquitoes and limiting exposure to bites.

So what existing dengue fever vaccine do you know about that these sources don't?

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/44751/title/First-Dengue-Vax-Approved/

Point taken - so will you be notifying Wikipedia, WebMD, Mayo Clinic or will you leave it up to "The Scientist.com"?

New Dengue vaccine is now approved in Mexico and other countries are following suit.

Read the last line in your article.

"It’s not clear when the vaccine will become available in the countries that have authorized its distribution."

"they always leave buckets/bowls turned the right way up so they fill full of water, a nice breeding ground for the mosquitoes"

I can tell the city slickers every time this topic comes up.

In order to eliminate stagnant water, you would have to eliminate all rice production.

Rice needs stagnant water to grow.

Except that Dengue is a prominently urban disease. It spreads best when people are close together, as it has to be transmitted by the mosquito from an infected person to another and the mosquito has a limited flight range.

Most of the new cases reported this year struck in young people aged between 15 and 24, according to Dr Sopon Mekthon, permanent secretary of public health. This demographic is reportedly most at risk from the disease.

This is great news...I am 91 and my gf just turned 25!!!!

Saved me from buying some bug spray....

coffee1.gif

My GF has a 30 gallon garbage can in her salon she keeps filled with water in case the water pump fails. I saw some mosquitos flying around it and some larva swimming around. I brought it to her attention and she said there was a local medical center for Thais that provided a chemical to add to the water to kill any mosquito larva and prevent more eggs. We went promptly and asked for the chemical. Reply was they were all out and we should go to the OrBorTor and inquire. We did. Same answer told to come back in a week (the old Thai standby answer). Went back in a week and still nothing. I did the math. I presume you can add as well without writing in a public forum the obvious conclusion. Fortunately, other nations are working on a vaccine.

read my quote

My GF has a 30 gallon garbage can in her salon she keeps filled with water in case the water pump fails. I saw some mosquitos flying around it and some larva swimming around. I brought it to her attention and she said there was a local medical center for Thais that provided a chemical to add to the water to kill any mosquito larva and prevent more eggs. We went promptly and asked for the chemical. Reply was they were all out and we should go to the OrBorTor and inquire. We did. Same answer told to come back in a week (the old Thai standby answer). Went back in a week and still nothing. I did the math. I presume you can add as well without writing in a public forum the obvious conclusion. Fortunately, other nations are working on a vaccine.

A simple and effective means of dealing with the g/f's mossie breeding tank is to throw a cup of ordinary household bleach into it !

Problem solved !

does anyone happen to know the scientific reason for this?

It is most likely that the notified cases are secondary infection. For whatever reason younger people who suffer conseqcutive dengue infection are more likely to suffer haemoragic fever which is more serious and potentially more lethal.

" New " cases are only the first reported, not the first infection...which may have been of minor symptomatic consequence.

This factor is why dengue infection is now noted as a very serious problem.

Its geographical spread and debilitating and damaging potential on the younger social spectrum ( a cynical term for future tax payers) has combined to make it an issue of focus.

It is of interest to read the reputed origins of this relatively new human infection.

why not put small fish in , or bleach.

some of this information is misleading. If you have dengue symptoms, you should see a doctor and double check whether it is dengue. If it is dengue, you should stay home, stay hydrated, take paracetamol as pain killer, make sure you don't infect other people with dengue and wait until your immune system deals with it. If the fever gets worse, you should go back to hospital and seek further treatment.

some of this information is misleading. If you have dengue symptoms, you should see a doctor and double check whether it is dengue. If it is dengue, you should stay home, stay hydrated, take paracetamol as pain killer, make sure you don't infect other people with dengue and wait until your immune system deals with it. If the fever gets worse, you should go back to hospital and seek further treatment.

"make sure you don't infect other people with dengue" - be quite clear, dengue is NOT transmissable directly from one human to another. It is transmitted after a mosquito bites an infected human and then later bites another person.

Not unfamiliar to see people using information they get from Google. However as said before there's a difference between "search" and "research". The former just requires finding a site that appears to agree with you and posting the address, the latter invovlves some critical thinking. In fact the sites you have quoted are either out of date or don't technically back up the premise.

tthe truth is that there is now a commercially available vaccine that has been approved by some countries already. How effective it is remains to be seen, and how universal the take up will be also remains to be seen.

in fact if you search the ThaiVisa site you will find a thread on the new vaccine.

and here's the wiki site......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

and Sanofi's site

http://www.sanofipasteur.com/en/articles/dengvaxia-world-s-first-dengue-vaccine-approved-in-mexico.aspx

Archived