Dengue fever cases in Thailand have quadrupled in one week

webfact

Use alot of bug spray. If you dont like the nasty stuff, try some natural stuff. I blend one part citronella, with two parts eucalyptus oil, and two parts lemon grass. I dilute it with one part water. It works really well. Only for about two hours, but that is usually enough. It smells pretty nice too, and it is not toxic.

Why go to all that trouble for just 2 hours protection! Nothing wrong with DEET. It is safe. Google it. The American military have been using it since the 1930's with no known side effects or long term problems.

Most people I know use a 30%v DEET repellant in the evenings when sitting outside etc...so it doesn't involve a huge amount of time on your skin.....and you're right, much of the bad stuff you hear about DEET is unfounded...I believe some people have skin reactions and you are advised not to wear it while you sleep....but it is far more effective than any so-called "natural" remedies which are of course just chemical themselves. I guess the fact thew DEET smells bad is enough to make some people paranoid.

BTW - Anything over about 30% DEET has been shown to have no extra efficacy

The cheap Thai creams and sprays contain only 13 or 15% but they work fine for me........Choice of mild and pleasant fragrences too. I dont like using any spray products as you inevitably must inhale some which cannot be good for your health.

so that's fine....I doubt if inhaling the small amounts left by sprays will do much harm as DEET has been quite extensively tested over the years.

here's a fact sheet.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/toolkit/DEET.pdf

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use alot of bug spray. If you dont like the nasty stuff, try some natural stuff. I blend one part citronella, with two parts eucalyptus oil, and two parts lemon grass. I dilute it with one part water. It works really well. Only for about two hours, but that is usually enough. It smells pretty nice too, and it is not toxic.

Why go to all that trouble for just 2 hours protection! Nothing wrong with DEET. It is safe. Google it. The American military have been using it since the 1930's with no known side effects or long term problems.

Most people I know use a 30%v DEET repellant in the evenings when sitting outside etc...so it doesn't involve a huge amount of time on your skin.....and you're right, much of the bad stuff you hear about DEET is unfounded...I believe some people have skin reactions and you are advised not to wear it while you sleep....but it is far more effective than any so-called "natural" remedies which are of course just chemical themselves. I guess the fact thew DEET smells bad is enough to make some people paranoid.

BTW - Anything over about 30% DEET has been shown to have no extra efficacy

The cheap Thai creams and sprays contain only 13 or 15% but they work fine for me........Choice of mild and pleasant fragrences too. I dont like using any spray products as you inevitably must inhale some which cannot be good for your health.

so that's fine....I doubt if inhaling the small amounts left by sprays will do much harm as DEET has been quite extensively tested over the years.

here's a fact sheet.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/toolkit/DEET.pdf

The jury is still out on DEET. Anytime the US government tells me something is safe, I am very skeptical. The skin is very sensitive, and absorbs most of what you put on it.

"The skin is like a million mouths. Whatever you put on your skin is like eating it . . . and going straight into your bloodstream."

Summarizing a Duke University study, the National Coalition Against the Misuse of Pesticides said, "With heavy exposure to DEET . . . humans may experience memory loss, headache, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath." The stuff is also linked to skin and eye irritations.

DEET was developed by the Army in 1946, was made available to the public in 1957 and is included in more than 200 products, the EPA said. About a third of the U.S. population uses DEET each year.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/old_articles/bodycare/deet.php

MMS cures dengue in about 4 hours. [done it myself -works !!!]

So does Vitamin C and lots of water.

Problem is: It's all too cheap and there is no profit in cheap stuff.

That's why cheap solutions are always rejected from the health-business-professionals ... bad for the people but good for business.

It's an insane system we live in.

Bad and dangerous advice which others should ignore.

There is NO "cure" for dengue but on occasion very specific medical treatment is required to counter the effects of potentially lethal "complications"

I stand to what I wrote ! It works and it is proven !

I am writing this to help as obviously "school medicine" has no solution [makes me wondere though .... ].

If you can prove me wrong just do it ... I can prove I am right as I have done this and it works [not only for dengue but for many other issues as well]

...So all you have to do is send a dengue patient an MMS message and they will be cured in 4 days....Thats amazing.........whistling.gif

NO.................... dont be ridiculous.....the message must say "get well soon" or it wont work..........holistic you know

"they always leave buckets/bowls turned the right way up so they fill full of water, a nice breeding ground for the mosquitoes"

I can tell the city slickers every time this topic comes up.

In order to eliminate stagnant water, you would have to eliminate all rice production.

Rice needs stagnant water to grow.

I live outside Pranburi, 99% dont grow rice here as its too dry ie driest part of Thailand I believe......... ps I live on 15 rai of land with no neighbours "cityboy" oh yeah and that pond has over 4000 fish in which will chomp any mosquito larvae to death as well as all my water lilies.............I once had!!
You make a suburb of Hua Hin sound "remote", 555

Does the train from BKK still go to Hua Hin?

I'm sure the population of that area skyrockets on the weekends and holidays with people from Bangkok. That's a potential disease vector. May not be as safe as you think, 555

I have had it 3 times over a 4 year period. Dont tell me you cant get it twice because you can. Am living proof of it. But that is not the point. Here in Bangkok where I live the mosquito problem is rampant! I live next to a wet market that operates from 4AM till noon. Have asked the govt department that deals with it to come over after my 3rd infection to fume the place. But nope!!! The market people went nuts claiming they loose a days trade. Oh well.... And lately the kids at the market here also got infected but still they wont budge! Guess as soon as the kids of the owner get it something will be done.

On;y a fool would suggest you can't get Dengue twice. ...however you are likely to be immune to the STRAIN your caught - there a 4 (even 5) strains of Dengue.

I hope your infections were diagnosed with blood tests .... subsequent infections appear to run the risk of being more severe than the first, so you need to be absolutely sure that you had dengue each time.

Even if you know, what difference does it make?

Take the precautions and go on with your life.

I have had it 3 times over a 4 year period. Dont tell me you cant get it twice because you can. Am living proof of it. But that is not the point. Here in Bangkok where I live the mosquito problem is rampant! I live next to a wet market that operates from 4AM till noon. Have asked the govt department that deals with it to come over after my 3rd infection to fume the place. But nope!!! The market people went nuts claiming they loose a days trade. Oh well.... And lately the kids at the market here also got infected but still they wont budge! Guess as soon as the kids of the owner get it something will be done.

On;y a fool would suggest you can't get Dengue twice. ...however you are likely to be immune to the STRAIN your caught - there a 4 (even 5) strains of Dengue.

I hope your infections were diagnosed with blood tests .... subsequent infections appear to run the risk of being more severe than the first, so you need to be absolutely sure that you had dengue each time.

Even if you know, what difference does it make?

Take the precautions and go on with your life.

So I take it you didn't get blood tests to confirm your illnesses.......Some people might want to leave for a dengue-free area if they know that any future infection could be more severe or even fatal.

Also the correct diagnosis of Dengue helps to build up a more accurate picture of where how etc and thew topography and demographics of the disease.

Fighting disease the main weapon is data, not personal anecdote.

"they always leave buckets/bowls turned the right way up so they fill full of water, a nice breeding ground for the mosquitoes"

In order to eliminate stagnant water, you would have to eliminate all rice production.

If that was the case, Dengue would be most prominent around the rice fields.....which it isn't, it is in the city.

Or are you suggesting that the mosquitoes breed in the rice fields and then fly into the cities to bite people?

the reason for cities to have more dengue cases is simply because it is very easy to spread because there are a lot people. You need a sick person to start it all.

That's why cheap solutions are always rejected from the health-business-professionals ... bad for the people but good for business.

some of this information is misleading. If you have dengue symptoms, you should see a doctor and double check whether it is dengue. If it is dengue, you should stay home, stay hydrated, take paracetamol as pain killer, make sure you don't infect other people with dengue and wait until your immune system deals with it. If the fever gets worse, you should go back to hospital and seek further treatment.

"make sure you don't infect other people with dengue" - be quite clear, dengue is NOT transmissable directly from one human to another. It is transmitted after a mosquito bites an infected human and then later bites another person.
that's correct. So when you have dengue you are a risk to people around you, so very crucial that you make sure you don't spread it further.

some of this information is misleading. If you have dengue symptoms, you should see a doctor and double check whether it is dengue. If it is dengue, you should stay home, stay hydrated, take paracetamol as pain killer, make sure you don't infect other people with dengue and wait until your immune system deals with it. If the fever gets worse, you should go back to hospital and seek further treatment.

"make sure you don't infect other people with dengue" - be quite clear, dengue is NOT transmissable directly from one human to another. It is transmitted after a mosquito bites an infected human and then later bites another person.
that's correct. So when you have dengue you are a risk to people around you, so very crucial that you make sure you don't spread it further.

Given the method/time /process of transmission, how would you do that?

"So when you have dengue you are a risk to people around you"

That's what I was trying to say. Mosquito's don't spread Dengue. Mosquitos that bite people with Dengue and then bite you is the problem.

It only takes one mosquito biting one person with Dengue, biting you.

Gotta have both: mosquito(es) and dengue-infected person(s).

So, yeah. Hanging out in Dense, urban areas full of Dengue victims increases your risk of getting Dengue.

Of course, you can buy a mosquito net free-standing tent for about 250B.

I'm sure all you geniuses have a regular mosquito net or a mosquito net tent, right?

That's what I was trying to say. Mosquito's don't spread Dengue. Mosquitos that bite people with Dengue and then bite you is the problem.

So, yeah. Hanging out in Dense, urban areas full of Dengue victims increases your risk of getting Dengue.

I'm sure all you geniuses have a regular mosquito net or a mosquito net tent, right?

Not really - I would have no problems visiting someone with Dengue - if you are actually suffering from Dengue there is a period of about 5 days when you can transmit the disease to a mosquito - when the highest level of virus are in your blood.

Once a mosquito has bitten an infected person, it takes another week or more before the mosquito can pass on the disease, so being in close contact with someone with the disease is unlikely to be risky. As any mosquito who has got the virus from a patient is unlikely be infective until after that person's illness has subsided

Being in an area with a high rate of Dengue is a different matter. Once infected the mosquito will carry the virus un til it dies - up to 3 weeks.

Remember to that the Aedes mozzie is particularly fond of living in the company of humans and has adapted its lifecycle to living and breeding around human habitation

if ever I got it I would try this out

" While some people say that it is simply a hoax, there might be some truth to papayaleaf juice’s claim to fame after all. A number of scientific papers have proved that papaya leaf juice is actually beneficial for the body "

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/can-papaya-leaves-help-cure-dengue/

No! there are no scientific papers to support this - it is nonsense.

What's the most dangerous thing a medical practitioner can say?

"In my experience"- that is NOT science.

Just to be quite clear - a rice paddy is NOT a suitable environment for the Aedes mosquito to reproduce in.

ray,

he's a cheap an effective mosquito repellent....I just cry when i have to throw beer out. Oh not my recipe just copied from the net

Big bottle Blue cheap mouthwash,

3 cups of Epsom salt,

3 stale 12 oz

cheap beer....

mix those three ingredients together until salt is

dissolved...

Spray anywhere you sit outside , around pools , will not

harm plants or flowers...

Mosquitoes gone from that area for apprx. 80

days.. I stray my deck all around my sitting areas twice a summer..

Go out and sit in underwear all time at nite and never get bit .. They

leave that area you spray and will not come back.. Been using this

mixture last 15 years.. It works.. Heard about this on a Paul Harvey

segment years ago , that's how I was informed about it.. And it works

well.. All my friends that have tried it can't believe it.. It works..

The stronger you mix the longer it last.. Mosquitoes and bugs hate it..

Nice mint smell

• 3 weeks later...

Why don,t you move, if it's affecting your health so much!

A standing fan at full blast ends the need for nets and chemicals. Little buggers too weak to fly in a blast from one of those. Also put one at the end of your bed as Thais do. Sorted thumbsup.gif

A standing fan at full blast ends the need for nets and chemicals. Little buggers too weak to fly in a blast from one of those. Also put one at the end of your bed as Thais do. Sorted thumbsup.gif

You're right about Mozzies not flying very well in a wind.....but when it gets too blowy for them they take shelter and one of the Aedes favourite sheltering places is in or under furniture or anywhere convenient in the house.....so as soon as the wind stops thy just come out again.

What about Papaya leave juice...

There was a post on another thread on this forums a few weeks ago with a youtube video....

Many comments of people around the world that said it work for them? myth, hoax?

It only works if you swing a live dodo bird around your head 10 times.

Har de har. Do a little research and you might discover that plant-based medicines are both effective themselves and form the basis for a large number of pharmaceutical drugs which are often just concentrated extractions of the active chemicals in the plant.

There was a post on another thread on this forums a few weeks ago with a youtube video....

Many comments of people around the world that said it work for them? myth, hoax?

Har de har. Do a little research and you might discover that plant-based medicines are both effective themselves and form the basis for a large number of pharmaceutical drugs which are often just concentrated extractions of the active chemicals in the plant.

Is is sad that there are STILL some people so deluded that they think a "cure" for major diseases exists in their garden or larder.....it is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH and this kind of disadvice is actually dangerous - especially to those simple enough to fall for it.

Just do some reading and you'll soon find out how to differentiate between medicine and quackery

Is is sad that there are STILL some people so deluded that they think a "cure" for major diseases exists in their garden or larder.....it is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH and this kind of disadvice is actually dangerous - especially to those simple enough to fall for it.

Just do some reading and you'll soon find out how to differentiate between medicine and quackery

Don't be so quick to dismiss "quackery".

Some of it has turned out to be an excellent medicinal alternative.

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/500_599/0556.html

Har de har. Do a little research and you might discover that plant-based medicines are both effective themselves and form the basis for a large number of pharmaceutical drugs which are often just concentrated extractions of the active chemicals in the plant

Don't be so quick to dismiss "quackery".

Some of it has turned out to be an excellent medicinal alternative.

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/500_599/0556.html

Quick - 30 years of research and reading - I think not.

your example simply shows you have no idea of how science-based medicine (skepticality) works. The problem is that people who don't understand the process are particularly susceptible to being sucked in by quackery.

OK, Dengue virus is transmitted by "Ades" genus (striped dayfeeder) mosquitoes. But don't blame the mosquito. It's a reservoir, and can only give you the Dengue virus that it itself got from a dengue-infected human.

So, it makes sense, the closer you are to someone infected with Dengue, same room, same house, same apartment, same village market...the more likely you are to contract Dengue. This genus likes dawn and dusk, so not being around mosquitoes during those hours lowers the risk immensely.

No - the time scales are all wrong...

Archived