Norwegian expat recalls horrific knife attack by foreigner in Hua Hin

webfact

Exclusive

Norwegian expat recalls horrific knife attack by foreigner in Hua Hin

By Staff Writer

na.jpg

HUA HIN:-- A Norwegian man has recalled the moment he was allegedly stabbed twice in the back during a frenzied attack in Hua Hin.

Oeyvind Rossbach, 36, told Thaivisa.com how he was set upon by an Egyptian man (name withheld), after getting involved in an argument with the man and his Swedish friend whilst drinking at the Blue Monkey bar on Soi Poolsuk, in the Bintabath area of the town during the early hours of Saturday morning (Jan 16).

As the heated argument escalated, Mr Rossbach decided to leave the bar only for the Egyptian man to follow him out into the adjacent soi.

The argument continued and as Mr Rossbach tried to walk away he was stabbed twice in the back. The second stabbing nearly proved to be fatal.

“The second stabbing hit and punctured my left lung. Doctors told me that if the wound had been two centimetres higher, it would have punctured my heart.

“I lost a lot of blood and the last thing I remember is some of my friends trying to keep me awake as I was losing consciousness.”

Thanks to the quick actions of his friends and with the help of a local tuk tuk driver, Mr Rossbach was rushed to San Paulo hospital where doctors told him he was lucky to be alive.

Mr Rossback, who has lived in Hua Hin for more than five years, remains in hospital.

Meanwhile, his 21 year old attacker, who is believed to also reside in Kuwait, was arrested at Suvarnabhumi airport at 5am on Sunday morning with his Thai girlfriend (Jan 17).

The Egyptian man was transferred to Hua Hin police station where he was formally charged with assault.

He remained in police custody until Tuesday before being released after meeting the 200,000 Baht bail.

Mr Rossbach said the assault charge has now been upgraded to attempted murder after his lawyer lobbied police investigating the incident, although this is unconfirmed by Thaivisa.

Mr Rossbach is also receiving assistance from the Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok, as well as from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Norway.

tvn.png
-- 2016-01-21

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On this thread we will surely get the subtle bigotry to overt racism, plus the obligatory victim blaming, that is so typical of TVF posts.

The bottom line is no matter what happened at a bar or what insults and verbal abuse was made, the man who pulled out a knife to inflict grievous injury/death is the one to blame here.

Bravo to RTP for making an arrest before this scum fled the Kingdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom line is no matter what happened at a bar or what insults and verbal abuse was made, the man who pulled out a knife to inflict grievous injury/death is the one to blame

Not to mention stabbing a man in the back as he tries to walk away from the fight.

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I feel so blessed that I gave up the booze 15 years ago, the sense of humour of the peoples of my country is of a type that is full of "ironey".....I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here.

It took my wife almost 6 years to understand it,now we laugh together almost all day long. In the beginning we were parting every second week or so.

what happened to the days of a fare fist fight ? caught at the airport that got to be an admission of guilt

I presume you mean a fair fist fight, those days are long gone. 50 years ago as a schoolboy i watched a fight between two 17 year old students, when one went down the fight stopped, he got up, they shook hands and that was the end of the matter, that was UK 50 years ago, now a knife would be pulled out or the guy on the floor would have his head kicked in. In some segments of social behaviour we have moved forwards in many others we have moved backwards.

what happened to the days of a fare fist fight ? caught at the airport that got to be an admission of guilt

I presume you mean a fair fist fight, those days are long gone. 50 years ago as a schoolboy i watched a fight between two 17 year old students, when one went down the fight stopped, he got up, they shook hands and that was the end of the matter, that was UK 50 years ago, now a knife would be pulled out or the guy on the floor would have his head kicked in. In some segments of social behaviour we have moved forwards in many others we have moved backwards.

I am somewhat surprised that the Egyptian didn't just hit the guy with his shoes...no joke. What happened to his culture here? OK to attack me now (with your shoes) but that is the way things were done in that culture when I was there. (I won't mention drinking alcohol which is 'haram'-forbidden).

On this thread we will surely get the subtle bigotry to overt racism, plus the obligatory victim blaming, that is so typical of TVF posts.

The bottom line is no matter what happened at a bar or what insults and verbal abuse was made, the man who pulled out a knife to inflict grievous injury/death is the one to blame here.

Bravo to RTP for making an arrest before this scum fled the Kingdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really happy, arunsakda, that your comment happens to be the first one. When i started reading the thread after reading the article, I was indeed expecting some nasty racist comment about the fact that the attacker is from Egypt, or some barstool-judge remark blaming the victim. So, reading your view is highly refreshing.

TVF is indeed full of crappy comments, racism, bigotry, and ignorant statements, but :

1/ unless I'm mistaken, it's all we (as in 'we, expats in Thailand') have, at least for the moment, and

2/ I also read, quite often actually, some very interesting posts, from people who obviously brought their brain with them in this country, and not just the little buffoon that lives in their pants.

I am somewhat surprised that the Egyptian didn't just hit the guy with his shoes...no joke. What happened to his culture here? OK to attack me now (with your shoes) but that is the way things were done in that culture when I was there. (I won't mention drinking alcohol which is 'haram'-forbidden).

No problem with drinking alcohol when I was last there three years ago.

HL should read,

Neo Nazi taunts Muslim and gets himself stabbed.

Hmmm....are you going by the tattoo? Admittedly, I (and everyone else here) have no idea what they were arguing about. But I wonder if it was as you described, would it constitute "mitigating circumstances"....?

Archived