'Maintenance Fee' for All Foreign Tourists Proposed by Tourism Governor

webfact

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just mug the tourists as the leave the airport,this plus increase in Visa on arrival,

they are slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

regards Worgeordie

Tourists are the only thing keeping this country economically alive.

Wait until the drought effect kicks in.

I doubt if anyone here really cares about the amount. What everyone does care about is that the money will not go to maintain anything unless you mean maintain facilities in a state of disrepair.

Vietnam is going to be rubbing its hands in glee. Every time the TAT idiots opens their mouth just pushes people away from the country. If this $10 was going to give cleaner and better maintained facilities and security was going to be beefed up no one I am sure would mind but we all know it wwont.

Please TAT engage brain before operating mouth that way you will remain silent.

Why not just mug the tourists as the leave the airport,this plus increase in Visa on arrival,

they are slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

regards Worgeordie

"they are slowly killing the goose that lays the golden eggs."

And farang have been saying the same thing for decades. The "final nail in the coffin " comments from Kuhn farang are older than some of the posters who keep regurgitating them.

and yet tourist numbers typically keep increasing year on year.... how very odd!

It couldn't possibly be that some farang are not actually quite as smart as they like to think they are? Could it????

From the linked Khaosod English article:

"He also did the math for its potential windfall.

“If there are 30 million tourists, Thailand will earn 10.8 billion baht per year from this fee, and it will help each province earn around 142 million baht to improve its tourism,” he said."

He is very optimistic isn't he.

Now, I assume, if implemented, all foreigners that enter on a tourist visa or 'visa on arrival', would have to pay this fee.

This means that we would later know, once and for all, if the tourists numbers presented by TAT (23 million or so tourists a year) is

in fact correct (and that they are not just counting every foreigner entering, also those on non-immigrant visas).

I'm no Einstein but I can work out 142 million divided by 30 million. And it means the provinces make 4.73 Bt per tourist.

Well, that's going to make a huge difference.

golden Goose, egg, nolt laid died, springs to mind. I am sure that one of the ways they become head of anything is to visit a hospital for a frontal labotomy. What a stupid idea touted by an equally stupid man. BUT TIT is it not.

Does any Thai or Thai official know what the word 'Maintenance' actually means here in Thailand.

Just have a look at any so called Thai public transport system that exists in Thailand including air transport

It is not entirely the same meaning as overseas but they do certainly know what it means in Thailand and they have perfected it beyond measure...

Maintenance I believe refers to taking care of and polishing Mia noi's :)

That fleet is very well maintained contrary to the civil aviation one gigglem.gif

golden Goose, egg, nolt laid died, springs to mind. I am sure that one of the ways they become head of anything is to visit a hospital for a frontal labotomy. What a stupid idea touted by an equally stupid man. BUT TIT is it not.

I bet when they go for that lobotomy they just find an empty shell and a small peanut in the middle

Why stop with a fee for the TAT? Tourists could pay a 5000 baht fee for the use of all the infrastructure in the country. Those not willing are not the kind of tourists that are good for Thailand.

The railways, transpo ministry, the roads and highways, the national parks, utilities, health department, law enforcement, the military, etc. they all could argue that they are unfairly burdened by all the tourists adding to the wear and tear and costs of their services. So why can't they ask for fees as well?

It's just a proposal , not to be taken seriously, just like all the other plans that never happened .

All these proposals keep the TAT big wigs in work. they go to Phuket spas to discuss proposals...........Here lays the problem TAT and Thai Airways.

It is Thailand. They can do what they like, and if whining farangs don't like it, they are free to bugger off to where a more suitable place awaits. Thailand would do well to impose a "farang whining tax", that shoud raise a few satang from those who have no manners.

Let's face it, what tourist attractions does Thailand have except the beaches and islands? Many of them are national parks allready and charge the 10foulded prices.

Do they call the floating markets tourist attractions?

LOL ... and mind you, the Floating Market in Jomtien did start charging an entrance fee not very long ago. Before, when I had Western friends visiting, I would take them there because it's a rather nice place. Now and thanks to their absurd new policy, it's radically off my list. Not that the fee is outrageously high, but the principle is so unpalatable that it's a total turn off. Imagine Central charging an entrance fee !!! "Hi visitors, if you want to spend your money here, you must first give a couple hundreds to the owner" !

The Floating Market in question belongs to a very rich Thai (surprise, surprise) who charges very high rents to the shopkeepers, who in turn try to sell enough nick nacks to the visitors in order to make some profit after paying the rent and other expenses (staff, electricity ...) Believe you me, these guys are struggling, but hey, who cares as long as the owner can have his pie and eat it ?

Just when you think the Tourism Authorities have used up their stock of incredibly silly ideas, they come up with a new one. I guess it's a form of genius.

Again, it's not about the amount, it's the negative impression created by such a practise. Once again, visitors will be made to feel like cows, in this case cows who must pay an entrance fee to the Milking House.

So they want to start stealing from us before we even enter now. That's smart. Because you have no tourist attractions. Some filthy beaches littered with trash and locals who make you feel unwelcome unless you fork out cash for the use of their beach and restroom. And parking and the list is endless. I guess the visa fees we all pay is stolen then...

They want to raise some revenue for big projects in Bangkok

So they want to start stealing from us before we even enter now. That's smart. Because you have no tourist attractions. Some filthy beaches littered with trash and locals who make you feel unwelcome unless you fork out cash for the use of their beach and restroom. And parking and the list is endless. I guess the visa fees we all pay is stolen then...

25M other people annually disagree with you...just sayin.

And can't ministers float policy ideas without the T-V universe going bazerk...don't all of you remember the proposal for charging all tourists for compulsory medical insurance awhile back that went absolutely nowhere.

What the <deleted>?!

Are they serious?

Unfortunately, I guess the answer is "yes"!

they are all money grubbers! those of us who have been around awhile realize this! I believe that the money will NOT go into anything that concerns tourist! will line their pockets and it will continue until the tourist revolt which will never happen with the quality of tourist that visit this place!

The important thing is that no Thais should pay anything towards the maintenance of their own tourist attractions or at least anywhere near as much as the tourists who are already out of pocket before they even get there to be fleeced even more on arrival. Welcome to Thailand !

Archived