All tourist boarding boats must carry ID, says Phuket Gov

webfact

All tourist boarding boats must carry ID, says Gov
Phuket Gazette

pkt11.jpeg
Gov Chamroen (center) and Mr Phuripat (yellow shirt) made sure the new regulation was being implemented at Rassada pier. Photo Phuket PR

PHUKET: -- Tourists will be required to show a form of government identification to CCTV cameras before boarding boats at any piers on the island, Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada confirmed to the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

“Having passengers show their identification will help us check on tourists’ safety,” Governor Chamroen explained. “If anyone goes missing or is involved in accident, we will know which boat carried them out. In addition, we will be able to monitor boats to make sure that they are not carrying more passengers than their limit.”

Phuripat Theerakulpisut, acting director of the Marine Office Region 5, joined Gov Chamroen at Rassada Pier on Wednesday to ensure that the new regulation was being implemented.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/All-tourist-boarding-boats-carry-ID-says/62932?desktopversion#ad-image-1

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-22

Surely, they will know which boat was involved in the accident because it will be the one that tipped over, leaked like a sieve, or got rammed by the other boat.

Another well thought out idea that will solve absolutely zilch. blink.png

Many of the tourists will have to carry their passport on day trips to smaller islands.

How many more lost and water damaged reports of passports to police, and inconvenience to tourists and Embassies, is this brilliant idea going to cause????

I wouldn't take my passport on one of these day trips, nor would I take it to the beach or a night out in Patong. Whenever I've been on a day trip I take the bare minimum with me and this does not include a passport.

It'll probably be forgotten by the time the three month bedding in period is up anyway.

Just after posting this I received this timely email.

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/lost-passports-abroad-cost-brits-millions-a-year

Don't take this "carry passport" too serious.

So many threads about this "carry original passport, yes/no" already,

Of course some form of copy (laminated card at best) serves the purpose (identifying the right Embassy to to arrrange the funeral blink.png ).

And for expats of course a Thai DL.

Always good to have a water tight pouch/wallet when going on a boat trip.

I can only hope that one day one of these revolving governors will come up with a real solution to one of the real problems on the island.

This idiot scheme. for a problem that doesn't really exist, is just another of the never ending ideas designed to prove that these people are something other than foolish and impotent.

Don't take this "carry passport" too serious.

So many threads about this "carry original passport, yes/no" already,

Of course some form of copy (laminated card at best) serves the purpose (identifying the right Embassy to to arrrange the funeral blink.png ).

And for expats of course a Thai DL.

Always good to have a water tight pouch/wallet when going on a boat trip.

"Don't take this "carry passport" too serious." - I don't take anything here too seriously. :).

It will be interesting if they implement it like air tickets, where one ID must match with one ticket, then, they will have to carry their ID, but like you say, nothing should ever be taken seriously here.

Just another photo oportunity for the Gov to "appear" like he is doing something here.

So not for Thais and Expats.

How about improving boat safty instead of this nonsens. Good safty will lead to no victims and no identification necessary.

It says passengers are required to carry ids

It says "Tourists will be required to show a form of government identification to CCTV cameras before boarding boats at any piers on the island, Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada confirmed to the Phuket Gazette yesterday."

Here in Thailand everyone is supposed to carry some form of official ID, even Thais. So what's the big deal.

So not for Thais and Expats.

How about improving boat safty instead of this nonsens. Good safty will lead to no victims and no identification necessary.

It says passengers are required to carry ids

It says "Tourists will be required to show a form of government identification to CCTV cameras before boarding boats at any piers on the island, Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada confirmed to the Phuket Gazette yesterday."

Here in Thailand everyone is supposed to carry some form of official ID, even Thais. So what's the big deal.

"So what's the big deal." - many tourists from emerging economies do not have a plastic license to show the camera, so they will have to take their passport.

Passports and water don't mix. smile.png

"Having passengers show their identification will help us check on tourists’ safety,” Governor Chamroen explained."

less work to ID the bodies of dead tourists. and we will have copies of millions of tourists passports.

“If anyone goes missing or is involved in accident, we will know which boat carried them out."

yes but they are still missing or involved in a accident. less work for you.

"In addition, we will be able to monitor boats to make sure that they are not carrying more passengers than their limit.”

because we can't figure out a simple way to count people entering a boat.

“About 90 per cent of passengers were already carrying their ID,” Mr Phuripat said. “We will be flexible about it for now. However, in about three months, if a passenger does not have identification, they will not be allowed on the boat. No excuses.”

Tourists were asked to place their ID in a pocket that zipped up or had Velcro, so when you drown, your ID will not get separated from your body.

“The tourists were happy to see us at the pier and they all cooperated without question. I am thankful to them and hope that we can make Phuket a safer destination for all,” Gov Chamroen added."

yes, when i am thousands of miles from home in a corrupt country and i see government officials wearing mirrored sunglasses and have drunk cops with them, I always give them a hard time.

"So what's the big deal." - many tourists from emerging economies do not have a plastic license to show the camera, so they will have to take their passport.

Populations in those emerging economies will for sure have a plastic national ID card.

I would NEVER EVER carry my original passport with me when I am going on a boat trip. The risk is to high to lose it and to get a new one (incl.a new visa) is a BIG DEAL here. Either they accept my passport COPY or my Thai Driving licence. If they don't accept one of that, then I keep my ass on mainland. That's it! Problem solved!

Populations in those emerging economies will for sure have a plastic national ID card.

And, "for sure" they will know to bring it - right? After all, it's a higher form of identification than a passport. :)

It just said ID - not an original passport.

Any hotel reception desk can copy for you.

If you are keeping up with the National Park fees avoidance by these tour operators and the boat overloading that goes on you should be applauding this initiative.

I think the current Governor is far more dinkum than previous ones.

At least he's hauled Marine Division 5 down to do their job which should be a daily inspection.

Lately, at least a few times, I have seen some passengers present an ID card to the fare collector of the canal boat taxi, in Bangkok.

Of course, the fare collectors ignored it.

I have also seen this a few times when a passenger was buying at ticket at the MRT counter, also presenting an ID card.

Again, the MRT counter staff ignored it.

(This article reminded me of that).

If you are keeping up with the National Park fees avoidance by these tour operators and the boat overloading that goes on you should be applauding this initiative.

At least he's hauled Marine Division 5 down to do their job which should be a daily inspection.

I can honestly say that at Chalong Pier for the diving and fishing trips all passengers are counted for every boat on a daily basis and checked for life vests as well.

I can honestly say that at Chalong Pier for the diving and fishing trips all passengers are counted for every boat on a daily basis and checked for life vests as well.

Yes, they count them out, but sometimes the count is one or two short when they are counting them back in.

Tourists will be required to show a form of government identification to CCTV cameras before boarding boats at any piers on the island, Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada confirmed to the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

Will the cctv be working?? whistling.gif

“Having passengers show their identification will help us check on tourists’ safety,” Governor Chamroen explained. “If anyone goes missing or is involved in accident, we will know which boat carried them out. In addition, we will be able to monitor boats to make sure that they are not carrying more passengers than their limit.”

This will not make Thai tourists feel very safe ? If Thai's are not checked on the boats then the boat limit numbers will never be accurate ? If the returning passengers are not checked back in or take a one way journey, how will the authorities know if they have gone missing........................probably not until it is far to late.

What a waste of time and effort and I suspect we know this will only last a month.

This will not make Thai tourists feel very safe ? If Thai's are not checked on the boats then the boat limit numbers will never be accurate ? If the returning passengers are not checked back in or take a one way journey, how will the authorities know if they have gone missing........................probably not until it is far to late.

What a waste of time and effort and I suspect we know this will only last a month.

My mistake in reply.

All Tourists must show ID so this will include Thai Tourists.

Apologies for my misreading of the initial story.

Archived