How to ask in Thai "Are you open?"

blanes2007

To get things straight again, แล้วยัง is incorrect no matter context or circumstances. PERIOD!

When to use ไหม or หรือยัง and the different meaning of these 2 words, think about this for example:

กินข้าวไหม and กินข้าวหรือยัง

Do you see the different meaning in those 2 examples?

That's the same with เปิดไหม and เปิดหรือยัง

เปิดไหม means: "Would you like to open?"

while เปิดหรือยัง means: "Are you open yet?"

So in any context, one use หรือยัง to ask if something has happened yet. แล้วยัง is just wrong.

Thank you Mole, that is a very good reason to not say ไหม. In the case of the shop we must think that the shop will open , but in the case of eating, we don't know the answer.

Why not เปิดแล้วหรือ Have you opened?

I can rationalise แล้วหรือยัง because the answers are suggested: เปิดor ยัง but it is seen as non standard to do that by the RI.

If we were offering the shopkeeper a choice for example, Park a big Merc. outside of a shop selling Rolexes and say เปิดไหม . Might you say that?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're merely hearing รึอยัง said and you think you hear แล้วยัง. Because people don't say หรือ but in another tone รื้อ which is the same tone as แล้ว.

Often when spoken fast, it may even sound like ละยัง เลอะยัง etc. But trust me, it's หรือยัง.

I suggest you ask your friend exactly what they're saying, or have them write it down to you and you will see that they'll write หรือยัง.

Trust me man, it's not even slang, I talk slang all the time. I am native Thai...

copy pasted it and its true.

Said it sounds the same as its the same tone but they are saying หรือยัง

All the issues with TanHil may come from his thick American accent. Americans are famous for never adapting their accent to the foreign language they are speaking. You always hear of American celebrities being fluent in french or german yet i don't get most of what they say when they do speak it while i can understand a chinese person who just started learning it.

For many men, that stumble at the threshold, are well foretold - that danger lurks within.

Can't say I like the punctuation, though.

Richard, my era distinguishes between the pronoun for things as which, and the pronoun for persons as who. 'That' was not a pronoun in that sense. That determines the subject 'in my book' : That man... rather than, ... man that... .

When was your era? Usage and Abusage, written in 1965, seems to prefer 'that' for restrictive clauses, seemingly on the basis that the text is better protected against bad punctuation.

I like the Shakespeare, 'that' would be translated as ตราบ I think.

For many men, when to stumble on the threshold, is predicted to be when danger lurks within.

My era would be when the fashion rather than the books dictated my parlance.

When learning Thai involves relearning English I find the process too difficult.

I forgot to mention that the definition of เปิด when not used literally is ทำพิธีเป็นประเดิมเพื่อดำเนินกิจการงานหรือให้ใช้ได้เป็นต้น thus: เปิดถนน,เปิดสมาสน is good but in the case of ร้าน you must add ใหม่ because the derived meaning of เปิดร้าน is that the shop is open; the door is unlocked. This matches English perfectly. This colloquial use of เปิด would seem to make เปิดไหม possible.

What is a "thick American accent"? There are so many regional variations of English in the USA that it could be one of many, some very attractive, or should I say "hears well", "hearsome"? Does 'thick' disqualify an accent?

by thick i mean that they sound out every language with american sounds.

just like a lot of french people from france make 0 effort to change the sounding of vowels and consonants according to the language spoken

ze zapple zuize for the apple juice. They are perfectly capable of trying to emulate a normal english pronunciation but chose not to

or the scottman that goes to a thai restaurant and speaks as fast as he can with as many complicated unhearable words to the waitress and gets mad when they dont understand. Drop the accent, try to emulate the way people around you speak. Few nationalities don't get this concept, americans being one of them.

I would probably be similar to them too if i had the perfect accent. I love northern american accents

Just don't use เปิดไหม, it's not correct.

เปิดแล้วหรือ is also not quite correct. It means more like asking "Are you open already?" Besides, although it's gramatically correct to write หรือ, it would be considered old fashioned to say หรือ. People nowadays say เหรอ instead. เหรอ actually started off as a slang of หรือ but has now become an accepted alternative way to write เหรอ. It's always pronounced as เหลอ.

หรือ becomes เหรอ only at the end of sentences. It's still written as หรือ when it's not at the end, such as หรือยัง or หรือเปล่า

All the side arguments notwithstanding, my response to the OP would be: เปิดให้บริการหรือยังครับ (pbert hai borikaan reu yang krap).

This has served me well over the years. I think the key is ให้บริการ (provide service) because sometime a shop may be physically open, but not ready to provide service. This is often the case with noodle shops and other eateries....

If you ask in this way, they will usually give you a time estimate of how long you will need to wait to get what you want.

Tahnil, it was you who erroneosly suggested "แล้วยัง" and all this BS snowballed from here and all other people who you said also suggested "แล้วยัง" are also foreigners who appears to be just following your original erroneos suggestion.

So, I merely came along to get things straight. The reason why I'm alone in saying so is probably I'm the only native Thai in here. I suggest you go and check with some native Thai, such as your girlfriend, boyfriend, or something in between, then you can silently leave the room with the tail between your legs...

It's actually quite unfortunate that this thread has snowballed so far with the erroneos แล้วยัง.

People who probably won't be bothered to read through it all will only read the few first posts and thinks that แล้วยัง may be correct.

I also did read through the BS written in here, and was hoping that somebody surely would quickly come along and correct or at least suggest หรือยัง, but to my surprise and horror, nobody has yet. I'm starting to wonder of the level of proficiency of you people in here now...

We Thais don't say "แล้วยัง" but it's "หรือยัง". Often when spoken, it may sound like รื้อ or รึอ.

Often we even just skip the หรือ and simply say เปิดยัง, มายัง, กินข้าวยัง, but this require that we are already a bit acquainted with the person we speaks to, for example when talking to a neighbor or relative, or friend.

It's also OK if we say "เปิดยังครับ" to complete strangers. By adding ครับ at the end makes it more polite, so even though we skipped "หรือ" it's still perfectly understood.

To be really really polite, one can also say it fully "เปิดหรือยังครับ", but this would usually be said in a very formal setting, for example asking somebody at the bank or something like that.

My first post , #3, and the first relevant post in reply to the OP:

Tahnil - Posted 2016-01-22 12:44:32 #3

เปิดไหม Perd Mai? (Don't pronounce the "r" and make the P sound more like a B, i.e., do not enunciate.)

Literally: Open, no?

First mention of "laew" แล้ว is post #5 by KarenBravo:

KarenBravo - Posted 2016-01-22 12:54:52 #5

Bert lao mai?

Open already? Mai shows it's a question, it doesn't mean no in the sentence.

I corrected this in post #8:

Posted 2016-01-22 13:21:20

[bert lao mai? Open already? Mai shows it's a question, it doesn't mean no in the sentence.]

Perd laew young เปิดแล้วยัง NOT เปิดแล้วไหม perd laew mai is incorrect.

Mai indicates a question but you can not just stick it everywhere.

ไหม mai is ไม่ mai (no) in question form, high tone.

That's why the literal translation of เปิดไหม often pronounced as เปิดไม๊, is in fact: Open, no?

KhunBENQ chimed in with เปิดแล้วไหม in post #9, and again I corrected this obvious mistake in post #10:

Tahnil - Posted 2016-01-22 14:19:07 #10

[เปิดแล้วไหม]

Again this is incorrect and never used.

Use in stead:

เปิดแล้วยัง

Or frequently shortened to just เปิดยัง

tgeezer then insisted on people saying laew in a longer form in post #13:

tgeezer - Posted 2016-01-22 15:44:18 #13

I think that it is best to learn complete sentences then in time cut the words you don't want to use. You open(ed) shop (แล้ว) or yet.

คุณเปิดร้านแล้วหรือยังครับ

I am not trying to gainsay Tahnil he is a native speaker, I would give the same advice to an English teacher.

Naturally you wont be saying all that when you know more. Its like teaching people to say : "aryeropenyet" before "Are you open yet." Many Thais think that 'gonna' is one word.

I then had to post many other posts to show that this supposedly best and complete sentence using "laew" would be in fact limited in utility, including the shorter form เปิดแล้วยัง, where I pointed out, in #31:
Tahnil - Posted 2016-01-23 20:27:49 #31

Note that เปิดแล้วยัง was only to correct somebody's suggestion เปิดแล้วไหม.

This is only used at the beginning of the opening hours when you are not sure if they are open or when you are asking if the place is now open for business after it was closed or for the first time.

If you are going to pick the best, use เปิดไหม or are you open?

เปิดยัง is "are you open yet?" You can see why that may be of limited use.

Now, note this sentence in the above post:

"This is only used at the beginning of the opening hours when you are not sure if they are open or when you are asking if the place is now open for business after it was closed or for the first time."

เปิดแล้วยัง pbertd laew young is absolutely acceptable and applicable to the above circumstances, and particularly well suited in the second case.

Don't let anybody tell you that only เปิดหรือยัง pbertd rue young is acceptable and no Thai would ever say เปิดแล้วยัง pbertd laew young.

It is simply not true.

I am a native Thai speaker and Thai was the only language I spoke really fluently for the first, maybe, 16 years of my life.

After that I became equally fluent in English and studied a few other Western languages.

It seems the usual suspects here are so eager to believe Mole's version of Thai when her English is full of mistakes including not knowing how to spell "erroneous."

The last is simply comically ironic while she is claiming absolute correctness.

When a person is sloppy in a language, why would anyone accept that she would be necessarily meticulously accurate in another just by proclaiming so?

But for self-serving prejudice.

เปิดไหม Perd Mai? (Don't pronounce the "r" and make the P sound more like a B, i.e., do not enunciate.)

so Ped as in Pedestrian?

Even worse than bert

Bp + sara eur(eer/ewr depending on accent) + t sound

sounds a bit similar to peut in peut-être /pø.t‿ɛːtʁ/ except with b sound in front of p

whole word agrees on this and you keep trying to come up with random sounds that arent even close to thai.

To get things straight again, แล้วยัง is incorrect no matter context or circumstances. PERIOD!

When to use ไหม or หรือยัง and the different meaning of these 2 words, think about this for example:

กินข้าวไหม and กินข้าวหรือยัง

Do you see the different meaning in those 2 examples?

That's the same with เปิดไหม and เปิดหรือยัง

เปิดไหม means: "Would you like to open?"

while เปิดหรือยัง means: "Are you open yet?"

So in any context, one use หรือยัง to ask if something has happened yet. แล้วยัง is just wrong.

กินแล้วยัง gkin laew young, already eaten[food]/taken[medicine]?

กินข้าวแล้วยัง gkin kao laew young, is especially good, "[have you] eaten yet?"

To suggest that แล้ว laew is never used, only หรือ rue is correct is utterly false, worse, ridiculous.

If you want to be fine about it, you can even think of แล้ว laew yet/already as having a greater emphasis than หรือ rue as a more neutral "or."

Imagine that you have been waiting for this shop to open, fed up, you go over to the proprietor and demand, เปิดแล้วยัง pbertd laew young!?

Is the difference between "เปิดแล้วหรือยัง" and "เปิดแล้วยัง" in Thai reflective of the use of "ellipsis"? ("el·lip·sis" = "the omission from speech or writing of a word or words that are superfluous or able to be understood from contextual clues."}

NO NO NO!

We NEVER say กินข้าวแล้วยัง!!!

It's กินข้าวหรือยัง you moron!!

You've been hearing it wrong and thought you've heard แล้ว when it's actually หรือ.

ASK A THAI!!! And anyone will confirm what I've told you!!

What a stubborn idiot!

I'm telling you, seriously! There is NO SUCH THING AS แล้วยัง in Thai!

Do some freaking research on your own!

Regarding "เปิดแล้วหรือยัง" and "เปิดแล้วยัง", we would not say เปิดแล้วยัง but say เปิดหรือยัง but when spoken it usually would soud like เปิดละยัง, which to you farangs may appear to sound like "เปิดแล้วยัง".

I suggest you have a Thai write it down to you, and you will see they will automatically write as หรือ.

เปิดแล้วหรือยัง can be used if for example you've been waiting a long time already for them to open, so you're kinda like asking if they're gonna open already?

Adding แล้ว would be emphasizing on that word.

Think of the example as กินข้าวแล้วหรือยัง and กินข้าวหรือยัง and กินข้าวยัง all 3 examples is correct, but กินข้าวแล้วยัง is not.

One can also remove ข้าว so it would be กินแล้วหรือยัง or กินหรือยัง or กินยัง as shortest form. But กินแล้วยัง is wrong!

When we say กินข้าวหรือยัง it may sound like กินข้าวละยัง which for the untrained may sound like กินข้าวแล้วยัง but it's not.

One hear it quite often people simply say ไปยัง, มายัง or ไปเปล่า, มาเปล่า which is just a short form of ไปหรือยัง, มาหรือยัง or ไปหรือเปล่า, มาหรือเปล่า

When spoken it can sound like ไปละยัง, มาละยัง or ไปละป่าว, มาละป่าว.

They're not saying ไปแล้วยัง, มาแล้วยัง or ไปแล้วเปล่า, มาแล้วเปล่า

There are only หรือยัง and หรือเปล่า never แล้วยัง and แล้วเปล่า

Look it up in the dic!

Just don't use เปิดไหม, it's not correct.

เปิดแล้วหรือ is also not quite correct. It means more like asking "Are you open already?" Besides, although it's gramatically correct to write หรือ, it would be considered old fashioned to say หรือ. People nowadays say เหรอ instead. เหรอ actually started off as a slang of หรือ but has now become an accepted alternative way to write เหรอ. It's always pronounced as เหลอ.

หรือ becomes เหรอ only at the end of sentences. It's still written as หรือ when it's not at the end, such as หรือยัง or หรือเปล่า

[Just don't use เปิดไหม, it's not correct.]

This is utterly false.

While เปิดแล้วไหม pbeutd laew mai is never correct, เปิดไหม pbeutd mai is totally legitimate.

ร้านเปิดไหมวันนี้ raan pbeutd mai wan nee or wan nee raan pbeutd mai, "is the shop open today?"

เปิดไหม pbeutd mai, "open?", literally, "open, no?"

[เปิดแล้วหรือ is also not quite correct. It means more like asking "Are you open already?" Besides, although it's gramatically correct to write หรือ, it would be considered old fashioned to say หรือ. People nowadays say เหรอ instead. เหรอ actually started off as a slang of หรือ but has now become an accepted alternative way to write เหรอ. It's always pronounced as เหลอ.

หรือ becomes เหรอ only at the end of sentences. It's still written as หรือ when it's not at the end, such as หรือยัง or หรือเปล่า]

The above is also inaccurate and reflects the writer's mentality.

เปิดแล้วหรือ pbeutd laew rue, "so you are open?"

This is absolutely how you would say it today, nothing old fashioned about it: เปิดแล้วหรือครับ/คะ pbeutd laew rue krab/ka

เปิดแล้วรึ (really shorten the rue) is what an adult would say without krab/ka, in an informal phrasing of words.

Also เปิดแล้วเรอะ pbeutd laew rurr (like purr, but never enunciate the ending in Thai), very informal, a playful speech.

This is traditional and classy.

What Mole is describing above would be more for the tweeting, texting generation.

Keep in mind that these different forms are like writing "kinda" for "kind of" in English.

The teenyboppers like our Mole here would write "I wanna."

Myself, I would write "I want to," but it is also how I speak!

Others may write "I want to" but say more "I wanna" in actual speech.

เปิดไหม may be เปิดไม๊ pbeutd mi[k]e (don't pronounce the k), the tone rises in a query.

Or it may be more pbeutd mai, in a high question tone but not as high as the mi[k]e above.

You don't necessarily write all these different variations of speech but pronounce the standard written word to suit.

Is the difference between "เปิดแล้วหรือยัง" and "เปิดแล้วยัง" in Thai reflective of the use of "ellipsis"? ("el·lip·sis" = "the omission from speech or writing of a word or words that are superfluous or able to be understood from contextual clues."}

Of course, the full sense is เปิดแล้ว หรือยัง pbeutd laew rue young = already open, or not yet?

This becomes in a contraction เปิดแล้วยัง pbeutd laew young >>> already open, no?

เปิด หรือไม่ pbeutd rue mai = open, or not?

This becomes เปิดไหม pbeutd mai >>> open, no?

Thais are fond of brevity: short and sweet.

NO NO NO!

We NEVER say กินข้าวแล้วยัง!!!

It's กินข้าวหรือยัง you moron!!

You've been hearing it wrong and thought you've heard แล้ว when it's actually หรือ.

ASK A THAI!!! And anyone will confirm what I've told you!!

What a stubborn idiot!

I'm telling you, seriously! There is NO SUCH THING AS แล้วยัง in Thai!

Do some freaking research on your own!

[It's กินข้าวหรือยัง you moron!!]

[What a stubborn idiot!]

Once again we so quickly exceed your limited capacity for reasoned argument.

so Ped as in Pedestrian?

Even worse than bert

sounds a bit similar to peut in peut-être /pø.t‿ɛːtʁ/ except with b sound in front of p

whole word agrees on this and you keep trying to come up with random sounds that arent even close to thai.

Seriously, why do you persist with your irrelevancy when you clearly have nothing to add to the subject of this thread?

so Ped as in Pedestrian?

Even worse than bert

Seriously, why do you persist with your irrelevancy when you clearly have nothing to add to the subject of this thread?

why do you persist on telling mole hes wrong when the whole country disagrees with you

The reason that I didn't persist with this topic is because I thought I would ask a Thai. The reaction to เปิดไหม was, "no, why would you ever ask such a question? " I don't necessarily take this to heart but because we shop at the market I can see what is meant.

There is a distinct lack of compromise here which is surely uncharacteristic of Thailand. To quote a retired teacher from the State School System, "รอ เรือ มี สองเสียง รอ กับ ลอ". That's true because it is what people say, so it is with forms of speech, the speaker knows what they are saying. We are all speaking different styles of English as well due to disparity of education which is related to our age, so it must be in Thai.

There would be more value in parsing my ร้านเปิดแล้วหรือยัง ie. accounting for every word, than there has been on this topic. When one knows what every word means it becomes a simple matter to *know what to leave out when speaking* The phrase book approach is fine but it means learning hundreds of phrases for hundreds of subtly different situations and as this thread proves is not definitive!

* The fact that ยัง has become the English word 'yet?' should be evidence enough to endorse my approach.

112 posts for a relatively simple question. Sums up TV perfectly. Mod, please close this thread.

There is absolutely no chance of that happening, 112 posts "sums up TV perfectly" is correct, your extra post is just what TV needs, and now my post!

[why do you persist on telling mole hes wrong when the whole country disagrees with you] - bearpolar

The whole country?

Would you be the one to know what "the whole country" thinks?

Just on this thread alone more people either know that เปิดไหม pbeutd mai is preferred or report that it's what they hear Thais say.

How incredibly arrogant, in fact dead wrong, of Mole and her cronies to simply dismiss them all.

Here you in effect deprive a kid of his birthright, being just as much a Thai person, then summarily disenfranchise his father and another poster:

Bredbury Blue, Posted 2016-01-24 13:16:22

Couldn't believe this forum had run to 2 pages.

Just asked my 13yr luuk khrung son's opinion and staight away he went for the simple:

Perd Mai
CMBob, Posted 2016-01-24 15:34:21

Bright kid!

Now, if he's really clever, he'll figure out a way to kill this thread...hehe.

I must comment here though that CMBob and others who want to kill the thread would be doing a disservice to all.

Even I, am curious to know how some people can possibly justify an utter absurdity of a claim that เปิดไหม pbeutd mai is wrong and never used by a Thai speaker, among other so far unsubstantiated outrages.

We should continue to give every chance for everybody to make their case but you and Mole really also should constrain yourselves to civil discourse and refrain from the ad hominem abuse which is really the hallmark of losers everywhere.

Other posters who say เปิดไหม pbeutd mai is it:

stoneyboy, Posted 2016-01-22 12:46:36

Bert Mai ?

Sorry I don't write Thai I'm still learning the alphabet.

Tchooptip, Posted 2016-01-23 12:13:10

Tahnil, on 22 Jan 2016 - 12:44, said:

Literally: Open, no?

A good idea would be not to forget the krap smile.png

Richard W, Posted 2016-01-24 03:47:31

tgeezer, on 23 Jan 2016 - 22:15, said:snapback.png

Tahnil, rather than being offensive you should be grateful to me for reminding you of something which you had forgotten.
I have re-read this thread to try to see what the hell went wrong and noticed several inconsistencies.

In post number 3 you stated เปิดไหม "literally open no? "

In post 8 you compounded the mistake: ไหม is ไม่ no, in question form, high tone Open no?
I didn't comment on these obvious mistakes.

I don't believe there is a mistake. It is very hard to believe that ไหม is not a modification of ไม่ to form an interrogative. I have owned a pocket dictionary wherein the only meaning given for ไหม was 'silk'. There's a tendency to make the same tone change to synonymous บ่. As for a literal rendering, I think 'no?' preceded by a comma works better than 'or not'. The result is more likely to be acceptable English!

CMBob, Posted 2016-01-24 09:36:39

Richard W, on 24 Jan 2016 - 03:47, said:snapback.png

I don't believe there is a mistake. It is very hard to believe that ไหม is not a modification of ไม่ to form an interrogative. I have owned a pocket dictionary wherein the only meaning given for ไหม was 'silk'. There's a tendency to make the same tone change to synonymous บ่. As for a literal rendering, I think 'no?' preceded by a comma works better than 'or not'. The result is more likely to be acceptable English!

Adding the "mai" (high tone) at the end of a sentence only turns it into a what I'd call a neutral question (one that's simply asking for a yes or no answer). I don't view it as doing anything other than that. I'm surprised, though, that your dictionary doesn't list it (the same word spelled the same way) as an interrogatory. Sort of like the English "to", "too", and "two"....which all sound the same but definitely have different meanings.

This whole thread has been a bit confusing and weird. For my two cents, I've never used (or even heard a Thai use) anything other than "bpert/pert mai" to ask if a shop is open....and the answer always has been "bpert/pert' or "mai bpert." (of course, most of the time one says and hears the krap/ka on the end of those comments)

Sheryl, Posted 2016-01-31 12:15:00

Certainly a variant of เปิดไหม? (bert mai?) but the additional words will depend on whether the doubt is whether or not they have opened up yet vs. whether they are still open.

Open yet? = เปิดแล้วไหม bert laew mai? or เปิดยัง? bert yang? To me, in colloquial speech, I hear Thais more often saying "bert yang?" and usually no "mai" added when the sentence already ends in "yang" as the "yang" at the end already makes clear it is a question.

Still open? = ยังเปิดไหม yang bert mai?

Note that ยัง "yang" is in both but the sequence is different. Yang means both "yet" and "still" (as in continuing).

In most cases just "bert mai?" will work -- especially if you mean "are you open yet?". But in cases where the place has clearly already opened but you are in some doubt as to whether they are in the process of closing up/are willing to still serve customers, it would make sense (and be polite) to say "yang bert mai?"

In the above situation you could also ask in reverse: Pit laew mai? (are you already closed?)

I left off the ka/krob to all of these but of course add them on as well.

Well, this surely escelated out of porportions....

"Mr Teacher" is at it again, and wrong again...

No Thai would say "เปิดแล้วยัง". It's just wrong. We NEVER say like that to ask if a place is open or not.

We say "เปิดหรือยัง" which means "open or not (yet)".

Ask any Thai about this.

Actually, we never say "แล้วยัง".

In every instance that Tahnil use "แล้วยัง", Thai people use "หรือยัง".

ปิดหรือยัง

กินข้าวหรือยัง

มาหรือยัง (Yes, we don't say มาแล้วยัง but มาหรือยัง)

แล้วยัง is just wrong!

Forgot to mention that even though it's gramatically correct to write หรือ but when we say it, it's colloquially pronounced with different tone as รื้อ. (Similar situation as เขา (they), which is pronounced as เค้า)

thanks so much..am 100 agree with you !!!! ขอบคุณครับพี่ครู

Archived