Tourist visa refused

Form your OP "I had applied for se tourist visa in new Zealand.". I assume that you only had a single entry tourist visa. Which would mean you were trying to get a 15 day visa exempt entry.

Was your ticket out of the country within 15 days of your attempted entry?

At a border crossings they do not follow the procedures for a denial of entry. If they had done it correctly the would of asked for financial proof (20k baht in cash) and/or proof you are not working here.

I was trying to activate my visa. 60 days

Were you able to evidence 20,000 Bht cash on your person and did you have an address in Thailand ?

If the answer to both those questions is yes then you should have insisted on speaking to a Supervisor.

I was trying to activate my visa. 60 days

A bit of misunderstanding on my part I think

You flew into KL from New Zealand and then took a train from there and was stopped at the border from entering. If that is correct it means they were way wrong in denying you entry.

I think your entering at a border crossing with a new visa issued in NZ completely confused them and they did not take the time to check all the stamps in your passport. They apparently thought you had sent your passport to NZ to get the visa.

• Like 2

I didn't have the 20000 on hand because I didn't want to travel with large sums of money. And she would only accept baht, so I didn't think that the local ATM would help. When applying for the visa, I had to show proof of cash in bank of at least 50000. So didn't think I would need 20k on hand at the border.

If UJ was correct, I think the issue could have been resolved by showing your boarding pass for the flight from New Zealand to Kuala Lumpur. Obviously, a bit late now, and it is tough to think of such things when you cannot figure out why the IO is not accepting your visa.

EDIT: one other thought. Is it possible there could have been an error on the visa issued by the Thai consulate in New Zealand? That could have caused the visa to be actually invalid, or raised suspicions about its authenticity.

Edited by BritTim

Yes, the intent is pretty clear, and my guess is that the visa would be accepted if entering through an airport. However, I think Type "Tourist" and Category "TR" is the correct form. I could imagine an IO at a land border deciding it was safer to reject the technically invalid visa rather than allow an entry that (however unlikely) she could have been criticized for later.

I think you had a mixture of problems.

One is the handwritten visa sticker which they may of not seen before and using it for the first time at a border crossing from Malaysia.

If you don't want to fly in you could try another crossing.

Expect officer noted your previous overstay on computer and may have made the work comment based on that bit of information. The new tourist visas are probably not well known at land borders yet.

The OP has a single entry tourist visa, nothing new about them.

Actually missed the 'se' as meaning single entry and believed it was the new multi entry tourist visa when posted above - but in any event the visa now appears to be not normal as it was a machine readable sticker that had not been filled out by normal typing information and had no entry in category - so indeed may have caused concerns.

• Like 1

Sorry for the disappointment this caused for the OP.

However, all good info like;

Having 20,000b on hand or at least available in an ATM.

Keeping your boarding card on hand.

I have been thinking about making our annual journey from Spain into a Grand Adventure.

Visit friends in Europe first.Then fly to Vietnam and then travel across land through Cambodia

must see Angkor Wat and then a land border entry to Thailand.

I have a retirement extension so I assume that everything would be fine anyway?

Only in the - this might be a good thing to do stage, nothing firm yet.

Poor performance by the person issuing the visa sticker in NZ. It does look bogus. There's already a history of blank visa stickers being 'stolen' from the Thai Embassy in KL so the inexperienced and inadequately qualified Thai immigration lady decided to play the proverbial, face-saving 'cannot!' card. The fact that she referred it to a fellow passport stamper and she agreed is fairly predictable. The OP should have asked (or waited) for a supervisor. If the OP still has the receipt from the Thai Consulate in Auckland, it may eliminate any questions regarding the visa authenticity.

• Like 1

You would think the honorary consulates could invest in a an old time typewriter to do the visa stickers, At least they would look better than the hand written ones I have seen.

A person had a similar problem at the Cambodia border with a METV that was hand written by the Toronto consulate. Most of the problem he had was because immigration had never seen a METV before and had to make a phone call to confirm it was OK.

• Like 1