Tourist visa refused

End story, I took the train back to kuala lumpur, arrived at 4.30am. Took another train to the airport 50 minutes and caught a flight that left at 6.45am.

Arrived in Don Mueang airport before my original overland train.

Customs guy at Don Mueang didn't even say a word, just stamped the visa and thank you.

Glad you got it sorted out. A lot of unneeded extra cost and trouble though.

The border crossings can be difficult and even more so entering from Malaysia with all the security concerns now.

• Like 2

I didn't have the 20000 on hand because I didn't want to travel with large sums of money. And she would only accept baht, so I didn't think that the local ATM would help. When applying for the visa, I had to show proof of cash in bank of at least 50000. So didn't think I would need 20k on hand at the border.

Now you know how it feels to be a "guest" in Thailand.

• Like 2

Another case of good intentions run amuck here in Thailand.

All too often when a Thai person achieves some degree of authority they misuse it while all too often their decisions are made by way of their mood that day.

Show up on another day and pass through with no problems.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy
  • Like 2

End story, I took the train back to kuala lumpur, arrived at 4.30am. Took another train to the airport 50 minutes and caught a flight that left at 6.45am.

Arrived in Don Mueang airport before my original overland train.

Customs guy at Don Mueang didn't even say a word, just stamped the visa and thank you.

Well done, and that is the best way to get in. The train journey through the south is naff, you didn't miss anything. If you want a nice one, suggest heading up to CM. [emoji6]

Well done for keeping your cool. Firstly they cant expect you to have Thai baht on you since you have not arrived in Thailand yet.

All you need to carry is $US. Cash. Equivalent.

I would be writing an email to the NZ consulate that issued your visa and informing them.

Maybe would save someone else from the same fate.

Should have also noted the immigration officers details no. etc. But it is hard at the time.

I had one immigration officer here in Myanmar once who would not believe her eyes when I had a one year meditation visa issued from Australia.

She told me they dont give one year visas. I pointed out this is one right in front of you. She started to get upset and tried to ring a supervisor.

I asked her to let me show you something. Showed her two previous ones in the same passport. She still wouldnt believe me.

I said here is another and here is another and here are my entries and exits each over 6 months. She still kept on the same track but they dont give one year visas even with 3 right in front of her. Anyway eventually she could not get through to any higher authority and she gave up and stamped me in for one year.

Sometimes you get some officers who make the wrong decision.

I was even refused $US cash by the ANZ bank staff at Airport when sanctions where imposed on Myanmar. Supervisor agreed. Went to an ANZ $US ATM at Melbourne Airport opposite their counter and pulled out $US. went back and showed them. Still wouldnt help me. Wrote a letter to bank and they apologised and gave me some compensation for my troubles. So people make mistakes.

The worst ones who make these types of decisions are the check in staff for airlines. Have been refused check in for a flight to Bangkok from Melbourne and onto Myanmar because of slight water damage to Australian passport. They even checked with Australian immigration officials who confirmed the passport was genuine and fine.

Had to talk to a supervisor of Thai airlines and he let me on. No one ever asked about that mark again anywhere.

Have to keep your cool though. No use arguing with the umpire even when they are wrong.

• Like 1

The visa was hand written because when I dropped off my passport and visa application a staff member put my application in the finished pile by mistake. When I went back 4 days later the mistake was noticed and it was the last day of the year before their holidays. And my flight was leaving before their reopened. After a couple of phone calls, the consulate general agreed to do the visa same day. I think with much rushing around on their part the visa was ready after 30 Minutes. I had also driven 2 hours especially to get the visa. That was also partly why they did it for me.

And indeed that was likely the problem - those are designed for secure computer printing as a direct replacement for the old hand written entry stamps which were subject to abuse - so very big red flag when presented to a small entry point where close inspection being required. At airport they had probably experienced other such issued visas in the past, higher data base access, and found real so not as much concern.

• Like 1