Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

On 10/10/2017 at 6:44 PM, cooked said:


Solarisation? Don't you need sun for that? Putting them in larger pots won't do them any harm, I haven't even thought about sowing yet. You could of course invent a plastic tunnel for yout toms.



Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

August here was cracking the flags so I put in chicken shit, burnt rice husk and dig it in and tilled the ground. Then covered in plastic sheet for a month.

 

I'm starting to think the bacteria has been brought in with rice straw I bought and used as mulch.

 

Cucumbers and one chili plant bed now has wilt and I used the same batch of straw on all three.

 

I've no choice now but to dig the three beds up, burn the plants and, come December through February, try to solarize these areas. I'll dig out the topsoil first and scatter in between the young rubber and hope the sun kills off any remaining bacteria there.

 

Any further advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, soidog2 said:

60 days before the cool season starts in your area.

Unless , like us you have had non stop torrential rain and your garden is waterlogged. We decided not to even start until the weather improves a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grollies said:

August here was cracking the flags so I put in chicken shit, burnt rice husk and dig it in and tilled the ground. Then covered in plastic sheet for a month.

 

I'm starting to think the bacteria has been brought in with rice straw I bought and used as mulch.

 

Cucumbers and one chili plant bed now has wilt and I used the same batch of straw on all three.

 

I've no choice now but to dig the three beds up, burn the plants and, come December through February, try to solarize these areas. I'll dig out the topsoil first and scatter in between the young rubber and hope the sun kills off any remaining bacteria there.

 

Any further advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

Ah well, here in Isaan there has hardly been a day without rain, hardly a week without a real tropical storm since June, we nearly got flooded.

Anyway, solarisation: my wife remembers people digging the soil over deeply and leaving it in a rough, unlevelled condition to roast in the sun, when this wilt business showed up. Nobody does this any more and EVERYBODY in the village has given up on tomatoes, and to some degree on egg plants and melons.  Chili is OK but I have to spray (Vinegar + soap does it).

On the other side of the road, in the rice fields, they can grow all this stuff.

So despite some people saying they can grow tomatoes, and not too far from here at that, I can't and I have tried a few varieties. I do suspect soil born pathogens and not lack of nutrients for this, possibly not to be destroyed using solarisation. I might have one last go using wood vinegar as recommended to kill soil pathogens and then a few weeks of solarisation, digging in plenty of organic material as recommended. This won't be before rice harvest but should fit in with the cooler season that tomatoes appreciate. I will also try growing in bags of compost, I don't have room for aquaponics and the like.

I believe that once you have wilt you shouldn't try members of the same family (solanaceae) for at least three years, which is a bummer of course.  My growing chili probably ensures that wilt continues to survive in the soil.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cooked said:

Ah well, here in Isaan there has hardly been a day without rain, hardly a week without a real tropical storm since June, we nearly got flooded.

Anyway, solarisation: my wife remembers people digging the soil over deeply and leaving it in a rough, unlevelled condition to roast in the sun, when this wilt business showed up. Nobody does this any more and EVERYBODY in the village has given up on tomatoes, and to some degree on egg plants and melons.  Chili is OK but I have to spray (Vinegar + soap does it).

On the other side of the road, in the rice fields, they can grow all this stuff.

So despite some people saying they can grow tomatoes, and not too far from here at that, I can't and I have tried a few varieties. I do suspect soil born pathogens and not lack of nutrients for this, possibly not to be destroyed using solarisation. I might have one last go using wood vinegar as recommended to kill soil pathogens and then a few weeks of solarisation, digging in plenty of organic material as recommended. This won't be before rice harvest but should fit in with the cooler season that tomatoes appreciate. I will also try growing in bags of compost, I don't have room for aquaponics and the like.

I believe that once you have wilt you shouldn't try members of the same family (solanaceae) for at least three years, which is a bummer of course.  My growing chili probably ensures that wilt continues to survive in the soil.

 

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right about soil-borne pathogens. Before I planted out cucumber I had two good crops of long bean in the same bed with no problem.

 

I have a lot of banana which I've read can host the bacteria?

 

I'll give the wood vinegar a go and spray once I've dug out the topsoil.

 

I'll also stop using straw and go back to collecting fallen rubber tree leaves after the next dormancy for mulch. I believe that banana stem and chicken manure rot down for a decent mulch also.

 

Need to rethink my garden space, as you said, and re-plan beds for next year. Wife also wants a dome building. Looks like for now all toms, chili, etc will go into tubs, even the potatoes.

 

We've only had one storm here this year. Rain has been steady every three or so days but only a few times really heavy since May. Think we're getting to the end of it now and everywhere is starting to dry up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Potatoes? I have tried, decided it was too hot. Tubers bought in the shops will  have been treated to prevent them sprouting, so I guess you have found seed potatoes to plant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cooked said:

Potatoes? I have tried, decided it was too hot. Tubers bought in the shops will  have been treated to prevent them sprouting, so I guess you have found seed potatoes to plant?

All our potatoes from Tesco sprout eventually. Had a small crop (2 plants) that grew last year new potatoes were very nice. Just an experiment, this time got 10 to pot-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Potatoes? You never told me about those grolls.


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

Potatoes? You never told me about those grolls.


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah, planted out in pots 2 months ago. Not one sprouted, that's why I've kept quiet :-(

 

Down to three tomato plants from cuttings that are ok (ish).

 

My ginger is growing like crazy though :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got more tom seeds, planted enough for me, I'll pass them on to you on Friday but I doubt you will ever be able to plant them after visiting the village from hell!


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

I got more tom seeds, planted enough for me, I'll pass them on to you on Friday but I doubt you will ever be able to plant them after visiting the village from hell!


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I think that's why wifey is coming along, to ensure I make it back home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soidog2 said:

2018 crop, are they big enough for you guys?

 

 

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

I'd like that red one on a sandwich.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@soidog

 

Great looking Tomatoes....:smile:

What's the name of the seeds, did you buy them here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...