Check your medications that might be hindering your weight control efforts

Jingthing

Just posting this article for those it might interest.

Many people are on medications for various chronic conditions, some associated with overweight/obesity and some not.

Sometimes medications can hinder weight control efforts.

Worth a look if you're on medications:

Can’t lose weight? Maybe it’s your medication!

http://www.cuencahighlife.com/cant-lose-weight-maybe-medication/

• 5 months later...

Great article pointing out DB2, allergy drugs, blood pressure drugs as culprits in weight gain. I would add my own experience that cholesterol lowering medications cause fatigue and muscle soreness and cramps along with joint pain. The drugs often mimic arthritis like symptoms. In fact I would assume many people being treated for arthritis are actually experiencing their symptoms from cholesterol lowering medications.

I went on a total vegetarian diet for a period of 13 days and my blood pressure was normal and my cholesterol dropped by half to nearly normal levels. I had it all measured at the docs. My doctor did not want me off of blood pressure medicine and I continued to take it and developed GOUT. PAIN! I looked on mayo clinic and medlife for the medication sure enough it causes gout. I am now slowly working myself off of blood pressure medication by decreasing the dosage and staying on a vegetarian diet.

The article does explain the fatigue and pain often cause a weight build-up because the metabolism slows. I wish I had known this about 15 kilos ago! I remember not being able to workout because of the pain from the cholesterol medication. I finally had to take the elevator to the 3rd floor of my building rather than bound up the stairs. I was given mild arthritis medicine and told to 'lump-it' old age is just a curse. Later a blood test for RA did not reveal a problem and I knew I had a drug side effect.

Anytime you get a new symptom and feel you have a new medical problem before rushing to the doctor it pays to look at each one of your prescriptions quite carefully for side effects.

Don't get me wrong! Modern drugs are good. However, the side effects are often not taken into consideration by doctors properly.

Right now I am bodybuilding 4 days of the week and doing just under an hour of cardio. I am eating carefully. I just retired and I am living in Thailand so I can get fresh fruit everyday and have a trainer so no excuses. I am enjoying this new life.

Archived