What vegetables can I plant this time of year

davidst01

I did try a Veggie garden a few years ago, gave up, far to many things like to eat them...

Local Village market 2 km away is so cheap........ nice Cauliflower for the past month are 10 baht each, most other greens are 5 - 10 baht, grapes yesterday were still 60 baht per kg [thought the season had finished] nice big strawberries down to 80 baht kg

is it ever worth trying to grown your own ? slugs, caterpillars bigger then slugs, birds, ants, worms. snakes, rats etc ate all my veg I tried to grow

Aeem, sorry. It really depends on where you live. The soil in Kantharalak, for example, is much better than the soil near Sisaket town.

If you can be more precise.....

Why does mr old lost in issan have make worthless comments all the time. Any post that I have read from him are B.S. If you dont know the answer to a question why would you bother to touch the keyboard?

post-51965-0-82328400-1453689219_thumb.j Vegetables are cheap at the local markets. OK

Only problem is the are contaminated with chemicals,Spayed with formalin to keep them fresh longer.

I grow my own, at the moment have many veg ready for eating.

Pak choi/ chinese leaves/ chinese mustard/ spring onions / pumpkin/ gourds/ tomatoes/ coriander/pak chee.

The cool season Nov-Feb is best kitchen garden season. Bugs held somewhat at bay because of the cooler weather, and many greens and leaf vegetables like the cooler weather and are sweeter. The cool season usually starts winding down by end of February, so you'll need to get cracking to take advantage of the cool season now.

Year round vegetables: Corn, eggplant, basils, green beans, etc.

Cool season vegetables: red onions, garlic, collards, kwang tung, cabbage, coriander, sunflower sprouts, red leaf lettuce, pak gak, green beans. Particularly recommend red leaf lettuce which isn't bothered by insects or pests. Many of the above greens can be grown in other seasons, but will likely need to arrange shade trellis and/or nets to protect from insects.

Photos of cool season garden attached.

post-215904-0-21935500-1453694009_thumb.

post-215904-0-26226000-1453694064_thumb.

post-215904-0-53308600-1453694105_thumb.

I did try a Veggie garden a few years ago, gave up, far to many things like to eat them...

Local Village market 2 km away is so cheap........ nice Cauliflower for the past month are 10 baht each, most other greens are 5 - 10 baht, grapes yesterday were still 60 baht per kg [thought the season had finished] nice big strawberries down to 80 baht kg

is it ever worth trying to grown your own ? slugs, caterpillars bigger then slugs, birds, ants, worms. snakes, rats etc ate all my veg I tried to grow

Not to mention passersby and neighbors....just sayin'

The cool season Nov-Feb is best kitchen garden season. Bugs held somewhat at bay because of the cooler weather, and many greens and leaf vegetables like the cooler weather and are sweeter. The cool season usually starts winding down by end of February, so you'll need to get cracking to take advantage of the cool season now.

Year round vegetables: Corn, eggplant, basils, green beans, etc.

Cool season vegetables: red onions, garlic, collards, kwang tung, cabbage, coriander, sunflower sprouts, red leaf lettuce, pak gak, green beans. Particularly recommend red leaf lettuce which isn't bothered by insects or pests. Many of the above greens can be grown in other seasons, but will likely need to arrange shade trellis and/or nets to protect from insects.

Photos of cool season garden attached.

attachicon.gifDSCN3848.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN3943.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN7193.JPG

Damn Bro!! Can I set up a tent there and live on your property? Will work for food. Sure as heck beats the city methinks.

attachicon.gifIMG_1146.JPG Vegetables are cheap at the local markets. OK

Only problem is the are contaminated with chemicals,Spayed with formalin to keep them fresh longer.

Pak choi/ chinese leaves/ chinese mustard/ spring onions / pumpkin/ gourds/ tomatoes/ coriander/pak chee.

Have to agree with ya there. looks like you got a sweet set-up. May have went a bit overboard with the containers though, unless you got them free, or cheap, and they might serve another purpose...barrier, fence? On the whole though Mr. I'll trade you your digs for this apartment any day. Enjoy!!

I have a herb garden and grow cherry tomatoes. Agreed on the bugs but the lemon balm and garlic sends most of them away and good for mosquitoes too.

I grow basil, rosemary, sage, oregano, lemon balm, peppermint, cherry tomatoes, garlic, red radishes, cilantro. I love picking fresh to use in a dish. Also have a Kaffir lime tree.

Lettuce, peas, kale, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. There are many cold weather vegetables, but you need to be a good gardener to do well in a tropical climate what with the large number of insects and viruses that are here.

Have to agree with ya there. looks like you got a sweet set-up. May have went a bit overboard with the containers though, unless you got them free, or cheap, and they might serve another purpose...barrier, fence? On the whole though Mr. I'll trade you your digs for this apartment any day. Enjoy!!

I have not gone overboard with the containers.

I am paraplegic. I grow veg from my wheelchairpost-51965-0-46306500-1453717626_thumb.j

I am paraplegic. I grow veg from my wheelchairattachicon.gifIMG_1117.JPG

WOW!! SUPER!! Good on ya buddy. I have a few friends who can only get around in wheelchairs. A couple of them just sit around on their <deleted> and do nothing. ( don't mean to sound cruel ) At the moment I'm helping one of them, as best I can, get through a period of depression. Gonna show them this photo. never can tel, it may help a bit. Thanks for the info. Keep on truckin' brother.

Not to mention passersby and neighbors....just sayin'

I hear you, ignis, it can be frustrating vegetable gardening in Thailand. The main culprits are aphids and caterpillars. Slugs have never been a problem. Birds can wreak havoc in a rice field, and peck at papayas, but other than that not a big problem. Ants are going after aphids, don't really bother the plants themselves. Worms? A sign of soil health; the more the merrier. Snakes? Can be encountered. Need to be watchful. Have encountered 3 in the garden in 10 years. Rats? Yeah, they can attack corn and rice, but not usually a problem in a veg garden. Cauliflower and most cabbages go for 40 baht/kilo where I live. Grapes for 80-120 baht per kilo. As collinneil mentioned, you can't always be sure where the produce at the local market came from and what it's been sprayed with? Did those carrots come from China?

Have had problems with neighborhood kids swiping fallen mangoes off the roadside tree, but never had a problem with anyone raiding the vegetable garden. Someone caught stealing out of a vegetable garden would be branded a real lowlife where I live.

Upside to gardening ? Freshness, you know where your food came from, great hobby, good exercise, helps you live longer, healthy, fun. Asking for gardening advice provides good opportunity to connect with neighbors, giving away surplus produce builds goodwill with neighbors.

That's plenty of motivation for me.

I am paraplegic. I grow veg from my wheelchairattachicon.gifIMG_1117.JPG

Looks good ,what type of soil or growing medium do you use in the rings ?

Never heard of vegetable-eating snakes before! You are kidding, right?

Growing your own is not worth it from an economic point of view, but some of us like it because of the satisfaction we get from growing, harvesting and eating our own - also from knowing that what we eat hasn't been sprayed with pesticides.

Takes a year or three to get some idea of what is going to work and what not. . At the moment I am growing stuff I wouldn't try in the hot season: peppers and chilli, lettuce and chinese kale. Some vegeatables won't germinate at higher temperatures, you have to experiment, soils are different from one village to another. I can't grow tomatoes... people 50 Km from here can.

Anyone growing tamarind? Or is that a fruit?

I love the fresh stuff from thailand….put it in salsa and it also drink makes a very refreshing and healthy cold drink when mixed into water and honey, with lots of crushed ice.

We have a few tamarind trees. Thorny buggers though. Love the fruit. The wife uses them in Tom Yum too. We're up to our eyeballs in tamarind right now.

I grow veges in small pots on a small 4th floor balcony. At the moment bokchoi, beans, spring onions, bell peppers doing well. Have had little problem with insects, perhaps due to elevated location. Have had tomatoes and beans suffer from mould once.

This garden not economic in one sense, but veges guaranteed fresh, right to hand and make for a bit of hobby interest.

Have not been able to try it locally, but had great success with a no dig garden plot back in NZ and would suggest anybody interested google the topic. There is a good deal of info from Australia, some from Queensland where climate is tropical.

Good luck with the project.

Archived