Pattaya Immigration to focus on 'overstayer's' and hotel registration offenses

webfact

Pattaya Immigration to focus on 'overstayer's' and hotel registration offenses

imm-4.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- On Saturday afternoon the Immigration Office in Jomtien received a visit from a Senior Immigration Police General who conducted a general inspection of the office.

Police Major General Chachuwan, Deputy Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau was welcomed by a formal parade of officers who work at the office in Jomtien. He was given a tour of the facility and made suggestions along the way of how to improve procedures, in-line with other Immigration offices around Thailand.

During a meeting held after the inspection, the General urged senior officers to focus their efforts on catching foreigners who overstay their visas and improve tracking procedures of foreign nationals by working closely with local Hotels and Guest Houses

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221041/pattaya-immigration-to-focus-on-overstayers-and-hotel-registration-offenses/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-01-25

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I think that Pattaya police need to get tough on other crimes, I do understand the OS thing. Why should I like many other people here keep up to date with immigration/visas etc and these ppl don't care pay money and break the law. Find them and put them on the bad guys out list. There are many ways to stay long term in Thailand without breaking the law.

Police Major General Chachuwan, Deputy Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau was welcomed by a formal parade of officers who work at the office in Jomtien. He was given a tour of the facility and made suggestions along the way of how to improve procedures, in-line with other Immigration offices around Thailand.

I wonder if he includes Chiang Mai immigration in that statement.

Its actually a difficult task for the Pattaya police handed to them by immigration.

They need to concentrate on the smaller guest houses/bars with rooms for rent if they are going to achieve anything. Of course, there is the 'staying with friends' scenario (which is where i would be if hiding).

Otherwise, standby for a lot of random stops to check passport/stay status which will lead to a lot of the usual complaints (and no doubt raise again the issue of should i carry a passport or not).

Another rock and hard place for the Pattaya BiB..................................wink.png

Maybe while their at it they might check the balcony railings of the condos to ensure there safe !wink.png

Don't you think that might be more appropriate for the Health and Safety Executive, or the Thai equivalent, if there is such a thing?

Would the immigration department in your home country check safety issues in condos?

I wonder if some people feel a little foolish after pressing the Enter button.

I think this is a very good thing. Before I liked going to Pattaya from time to time, but of late I am turned off by the amount of crime there. Before you could avoid it but lately it seems to comes find you. Ceaning up all the riffraff will be a very welcome change.

I think this is a very good thing. Before I liked going to Pattaya from time to time, but of late I am turned off by the amount of crime there. Before you could avoid it but lately it seems to comes find you. Ceaning up all the riffraff will be a very welcome change.

Focus on registration offenses / overstaying will not improve the crime situation in Pattaya at all. What would is getting access to visa-waiver outstanding warrants, fingerprint database, passport verification so that once someone books a ticket the information is available for immigration on entry etc. I am not sure how much is available, but I know the US has agreements with Canada for access to fingerprint databases.... and I would think wants & warrants type access would be a non-issue with privacy concerns. You want to filter out who comes in so that there is less of a problem.

Institute immigration procedures so that gang/ motorcycle gang affiliation (with or without conviction) will make you persona-non-grata.

Blanketing the problem areas with regular foot patrols and having zero tolerance towards anything that may harm the tourism industry - i.e. jet ski scammers have their property confiscated and banned, etc.

The vast majority of overstayers or registration offenses are just that administration offenses. It is akin to attacking a problem of finding a pin by looking through a haystack.... you will never find anything important that way. Intelligence and non-corrupt enforcement are the only sane approach to the situation.

Finding overstayers and deporting them should be more of a result of regular police work where if you find one you deport them -- but not the focus of the cleanup.

Maybe while their at it they might check the balcony railings of the condos to ensure there safe !wink.png

Don't you think that might be more appropriate for the Health and Safety Executive, or the Thai equivalent, if there is such a thing?

Would the immigration department in your home country check safety issues in condos?

We don't have immigration police, we have immigration that handles the immigration / entry process.... and we have police which are focused on crime.

Its actually a difficult task for the Pattaya police handed to them by immigration.

They need to concentrate on the smaller guest houses/bars with rooms for rent if they are going to achieve anything. Of course, there is the 'staying with friends' scenario (which is where i would be if hiding).

Otherwise, standby for a lot of random stops to check passport/stay status which will lead to a lot of the usual complaints (and no doubt raise again the issue of should i carry a passport or not).

Another rock and hard place for the Pattaya BiB..................................wink.png

Hate to break it to you, but Immigration Officers *are* police. The BiB have nothing to do with Immigration. They keep busy not catching criminals, unless there is some kind of reward in it.

The Boys in Green (Immigration) will now have to appear to check hotels frequently, etc. They are doubly burdened, as stashing envelopes from the agent in line in front of you with 50 Myanmar passports is time consuming enough...

I see the first trembling set of sausage-like fingers managed to be the first poster with, " why do I have to do my visa if there are scoff-laws who do not?"

Remember, every overstayer means no pudding for you!

Thailand, hub of teacher's pets,..

Thailand: desperately afraid that someone will spend MONEY here. blink.png

Thinking this way Joots

you are talking like you are one of these over stayers or one whom does not qualify as a long time stayer using the "quasi legal visa help company s" and in fear that the laws will finally catch up to you sending you home.If so I hope that they do.

made suggestions along the way of how to improve procedures, in-line with other Immigration offices around Thailand.

I was under some misguided impression that Jomtiem was doing pretty well and falling in line with other immigration offices around Thailand would not improve anything, but hey, keep harassing those terrible foreigners!

The type of crime you are trying to avoid is rarely, if ever, perpetrated by foreigners on overstay.

Thats a good use of immigration police, as if they don't have enough immigration jobs to do.

yea .... they cant be checking balcony's ......Baby needs new shoes ..............

I just wonder if razzia's and random identity checks on specific races, being readily recognisable,will help make things safe for "touris".

I think, but who am I, doing something about organised crime, in all it's ugly forms including all forms of "bakshees", would be a much better idea.

Doing the above will probably also net quite a few illegal and unwanted figures.

But I guess hunting " touris" is a much better and rewarding idea.

And also much easier as doing something about real crime.

Nope, retired here but fully cognizant that overstayers present no problem except to the exaggerated pride of Thainess. "We are Thailand, we are just like REAL countries....we have LAWS." DUH!!! clap2.gif

Thailand: desperately afraid that someone will spend MONEY here. blink.png

Thinking this way Joots

you are talking like you are one of these over stayers or one whom does not qualify as a long time stayer using the "quasi legal visa help company s" and in fear that the laws will finally catch up to you sending you home.If so I hope that they do.

"...to ensure there [sic] safe."

Incoming flights from farang land should have balcony instructional videos for farang who are balcony challenged.

Hate to break it to you, but Immigration Officers *are* police. The BiB have nothing to do with Immigration. They keep busy not catching criminals, unless there is some kind of reward in it.

The Boys in Green (Immigration) will now have to appear to check hotels frequently, etc. They are doubly burdened, as stashing envelopes from the agent in line in front of you with 50 Myanmar passports is time consuming enough...

I see the first trembling set of sausage-like fingers managed to be the first poster with, " why do I have to do my visa if there are scoff-laws who do not?"

Remember, every overstayer means no pudding for you!

Thailand, hub of teacher's pets,..

Yes, it is understood that immigration is a department of the Royal Thai Police.

But if it is a full blown crackdown on over-staying, IMO, the ordinary BiB will be called in for support if random personal checks will be brought in, if they are serious about the crackdown.

At the very least, databases will be shared, immigration issues vs criminal activities.

where did you get your information that over-stays are the "riffraff " that is creating all the crime ? and how do they effect your life ? it seems like you and the "riffraff" are competing for the same ho's and seatbelt equipped bar stools , maybe jostling for better position in line with them for your 35 baht cup of thai noodles . sanctimonious should be your handle , for that is what you are ................................

A complete waste of time. the police already know who are the criminals in Pattaya. The majority of criminals have valid Visas and are not on overstay. Immigration needs to run a check on the known criminals and determine if there are any warrants out there. In addition, there are many foreigners running businesses without any work permits. Oh, I forgot- that is the labor department's job- not the police. Stopping people on the street and checking passports and visa's will do nothing more than irritate people who are here for a vacation . It's no wonder Western tourists have no desire to come to Thailand any longer.

We don't have immigration police, we have immigration that handles the immigration / entry process.... and we have police which are focused on crime.

Errr. Royal Thai Police - Immigration Bureau.

This dude is one of them.

Fair enough, that's just doing their job. As said, if you do the right thing regarding visa compliance you have no worries ( as painfull as it is ).

On my recent run to Kuala Lumpa at immigration they ask you to place two fingers on a scanner. Ok, it's big brother but it does provide excellent data if a crime is committed in their country or you are on a wanted list. Assuming they have the computer infrastructure to cross reference the scanned prints.

That would be most effective in controlling who comes into the country.

Archived