Heads up regarding Police checks.

fredob43

I live on the edge of the Mae Wong national park about 65 km south-west of Fredob and they came out to me 2 or 3 years ago and did the same thing. There were several of them in plain clothes and they seemed nice enough. I expect that they will wander over again sometime when they get bored with all the big city types.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't consider myself as a tourist as I live here and although it was many moons ago I read it is a requirement when in Thailand to carry a copy of passport.

Another recent UK report was about be careful don't lose your passport aggro etc etc, carrying it around to me means more chance of loss or stolen.

On Thaivisa Visa news recently ref ' a Gov UK web site, it reads as below,

Foreign Travel Advice Thailand :-

By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. See :- Local Laws and Customs.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand.

I don't consider myself as a tourist as I live here and although it was many moons ago I read it is a requirement when in Thailand to carry a copy of passport.

Another recent UK report was about be careful don't lose your passport aggro etc etc, carrying it around to me means more chance of loss or stolen.

On Thaivisa Visa news recently ref ' a Gov UK web site, it reads as below,

Foreign Travel Advice Thailand :-

By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. See :- Local Laws and Customs.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand.

The British government has also just issued a new warning on Passports.

Reads NEVER carry passport unless it's to do something special with same. If it's good enough for the British mob to tell us to break the law so be it.

Then again when have you ever been asked for passport. Like most a driving licence will be good enough, Same No: snap, I always carry my M/C one on me and the car one in the sun visor.

I was stopped Thursday driving back from Udon Thani going they said to fast 'and I was' All I did was look stupid 'Not hard in my case' driving licence presented was told to go a bit slower by the very nice man.

I think it might have been he just wanted to get rid of an idiot that couldn't speak 1 word of Thai. Part of my cunning ploy in looking stupid.

• 3 months later...

Arrived home today only to be greeted by a 3 pip copper wanting to take family photo and see passport. This is the 2nd time in the last 3 months.

Reason given was they are checking on everyone they can find in THAILAND either at their address or hotel who is non Thai. Making sure that they are where they are supposed to be.

Evidently the government has told them to do it again. All to do with Bombs or some such twaddle. But for whatever reason. Make sure your paper work is up to date.

So were you out and about with passport on you? Would they haul you off if you didn't? I almost never carry one.

Just a heads up rolleyes.gif it is a bit of grey requirement but a requirement nether the less an alien in Thailand should carry a copy of their passport.

That said my driving license always has seemed to serve enough as ID.

You might be surprised at how many forget to carry that too.

Archived