Colour Test, Driving Licence

jamie2009

My biggest concern for the Driving Licence Test was the Colour Test, I did a few Ishihara teats on the Internet and every thing was fine.

I assumed wrongly that the test was similar to the ones I had viewed on the net with the numbers and colours, wrong at Pattaya it's a round board with red,yellow and green circles which you stand 10 feet from, failed, although I wasn't the only one, some Thais did as well.

So for any one who goes make sure you have a 100'% eyesight, it's not only about colour.

I don't have a 100% vision even with specs but it is ok for a UK Driving Licence.

color-blind.jpg

Whilst some may say it's 'sour grapes' that I failed but I when I approach a set of traffic lights I am not confronted with multi colours like this in front of me. I am quite capable of distinguishing traffic light colours. I did 'go to pieces' after getting the first one wrong though and they did say come back tomorrow.

I believe in other places they use the Ishihara System, maybe I should move ?

I have perfect colour vision - so what are we supposed to see on the chart on this thread ? Normally there is a number you have to pick out. There is no number on this one. So do they just point at a dot and say what colour is it ? Or have I gone colour blind in the last few minutes....?

I have perfect colour vision - so what are we supposed to see on the chart on this thread ? Normally there is a number you have to pick out. There is no number on this one. So do they just point at a dot and say what colour is it ? Or have I gone colour blind in the last few minutes....?

That's exactly what they do, point at a dot and ask you what colour it is. The wall chart from memory is around a metre square and you stand back 3 or 4 metres.

color-blind.jpg

Whilst some may say it's 'sour grapes' that I failed but I when I approach a set of traffic lights I am not confronted with multi colours like this in front of me. I am quite capable of distinguishing traffic light colours. I did 'go to pieces' after getting the first one wrong though and they did say come back tomorrow.

I'm colour blind and had difficulty with the test, but if you can't pass this one I don't know how you'd pass the Ishihara. Tell me if I'm wrong, but are the red and yellow dots around the same size but the green dots are a lot smaller?

I suppose it saves money having a book that gets all dog eared.... mind you, if that is a photo of the actual chart, the big green dot has been pointed at a lot, coz it has a scuff mark in the middle....I believe they also test for how good you peripheral vision is....sadly the Thais seem to pass this at the centre and then go back to tunnel vision when they drive a car/motorbike. Especially !!! the "special needs" ones that seem to drive around me......

color-blind.jpg

I'm colour blind and had difficulty with the test, but if you can't pass this one I don't know how you'd pass the Ishihara. Tell me if I'm wrong, but are the red and yellow dots around the same size but the green dots are a lot smaller?

The dots in each colours are all different sizes.

I'm sorry you failed this test, as it has very little to do with your competence as a driver.

For information, last time I was renewing my license there, I was 2nd in the group to do it, the instructor/tester waived me through after about 10 seconds when he was struggling to keep up with my answers (my eyesight is perfect BTW).

Next up was a Thai lady, she could barely see the board let alone make out the colours. She failed so the tester asked her to move forward (for a better look), this happened 3 or 4 times until she was virtually within touching distance of the board.................he then passed her! Ridiculous!!

color-blind.jpg

I can pass the Ishihara Test because it's not 10 feet away from me. I can distinguish traffic lights 10 feet away so why do a colour test 10 feet away ?

color-blind.jpg

I can pass the Ishihara Test because it's not 10 feet away from me. I can distinguish traffic lights 10 feet away so why do a colour test 10 feet away ?

The Ishihara test is usually in a book, around A4 size, the test at the motor transport is much, much bigger.

color-blind.jpg

The dots in each colours are all different sizes.

I'm sorry you failed this test, as it has very little to do with your competence as a driver.

For information, last time I was renewing my license there, I was 2nd in the group to do it, the instructor/tester waived me through after about 10 seconds when he was struggling to keep up with my answers (my eyesight is perfect BTW).

Next up was a Thai lady, she could barely see the board let alone make out the colours. She failed so the tester asked her to move forward (for a better look), this happened 3 or 4 times until she was virtually within touching distance of the board.................he then passed her! Ridiculous!!

The lady did give me a couple of chances but I wasn't allowed to move forward, in fact she failed 2 young Thai fellas not giving them a second chance, hey maybe I should go back tomorrow see if I can get the same fella !

The lady did give me a couple of chances but I wasn't allowed to move forward, in fact she failed 2 young Thai fellas not giving them a second chance, hey maybe I should go back tomorrow see if I can get the same fella !

I actually had some help (twice) when I did mine. I had a falang (who had already passed) on the sidelines whispering the colours and my Thai GF behind me doing the same. I've been driving for over 55 years and never had a problem with traffic lights, so yeah I cheated.

That's exactly what they do, point at a dot and ask you what colour it is. The wall chart from memory is around a metre square and you stand back 3 or 4 metres.

Yes, the chart at the Chonburi car licence office does look like the one pictured in this thread BUT it does in fact have coloured numbers embedded within it...but they don't use the numbers. They just point to a few of the dots and the tester has to tell them what colour they are.

Ok I failed the test, didn't pay any money but she said come back tomorrow, nothing's going to change with my eyes overnight ?

Do you specifically have problems identifying red and green? There is no way of overcoming the problem other than getting some help as I did, or keep taking the test until you manage to fluke the colours.

Ok I failed the test, didn't pay any money but she said come back tomorrow, nothing's going to change with my eyes overnight ?

Do you specifically have problems identifying red and green? There is no way of overcoming the problem other than getting some help as I did, or keep taking the test until you manage to fluke the colours.

I have no problems with reds or greens, done the Ishihara test, they do that one in Hua Hin. it's the distance from the board I have a problem with. Unfortunately there is no one I know who could 'help' me

I have no problems with reds or greens, done the Ishihara test, they do that one in Hua Hin. it's the distance from the board I have a problem with. Unfortunately there is no one I know who could 'help' me

How far away are you...when I took the test a month or so ago, we were all lined-up only a meter or so away from the poster.

If you aren't colour blind, and it appears that you aren't, it must be a case of needing some glasses. I took my first test (in Thailand) at 68 and never had any problem with distance from the board, only identifying the difference between red and green. Now maybe if I was allowed to stand 1 metre away I could have identified them correctly, but I didn't have that choice. I only wear glasses for reading BTW, not driving,

You stood behind the seat which you do the reaction test on, must be 2 metres.

When we took the test, we were lined up along the side of the testing area...not behind the pedal test chair.

Maybe they have changed things since you did yours but every one lined up alongside the testing area then one at a time they went behind the pedal test chair, seems to be a bit of inconsistency, as I said I wasn't the only one who failed.

The UK test does not discriminate against Colour Blindness.... it is obvious there, that every top light is red, the middle one is orange and the bottom one is green. Also, at a crossing the green man is walking not standing normally accompanied with a bleeping sound and the red man is standing not walking...here in LoS it is just bedlam on the roads coz a licence or a test mean nothing no matter how convoluted the process. No consolation to the OP.

The UK test does not discriminate against Colour Blindness.... it is obvious there, that every top light is red, the middle one is orange and the bottom one is green. Also, at a crossing the green man is walking not standing normally accompanied with a bleeping sound and the red man is standing not walking...here in LoS it is just bedlam on the roads coz a licence or a test mean nothing no matter how convoluted the process. No consolation to the OP.

The difference is the Police enforce the Driving Laws in the UK and now have Number Plate Regognition installed in the Patrol Cars which can tell wether a car is insured and taxed. There are hefty fines etc for offenders.

It doesn't matter how difficult you make the Driving Test here some Thais will simply flaunt the law and drive with out a licence which means any insurance if they have would be invalid. They know there will be little or no punishment if stopped by the Police. It's not going to change, this is Thailand.

The annoying thing is that I have a UK Licence, degree of difficulty in getting it is more than in Thailand yet I get 'failed' for an irrelevant inconsistent Colour Test which varies from area to area in Thailand

Archived