Colour Test, Driving Licence

jamie2009

The UK test does not discriminate against Colour Blindness.... it is obvious there, that every top light is red, the middle one is orange and the bottom one is green. Also, at a crossing the green man is walking not standing normally accompanied with a bleeping sound and the red man is standing not walking...here in LoS it is just bedlam on the roads coz a licence or a test mean nothing no matter how convoluted the process. No consolation to the OP.

When I passed my UK driving test about a hundred years ago the examiner asked me to read a car number plate at about 25 yards away, I believe that was the

"Accepted Standard" eye test. I don't see why color blindness should be an issue here as a requirement in testing.

The UK test does not discriminate against Colour Blindness.... it is obvious there, that every top light is red, the middle one is orange and the bottom one is green. Also, at a crossing the green man is walking not standing normally accompanied with a bleeping sound and the red man is standing not walking...here in LoS it is just bedlam on the roads coz a licence or a test mean nothing no matter how convoluted the process. No consolation to the OP.

When I passed my UK driving test about a hundred years ago the examiner asked me to read a car number plate at about 25 yards away, I believe that was the

"Accepted Standard" eye test. I don't see why color blindness should be an issue here as a requirement in testing.

Maybe they thought there was so many accidents at traffic light controlled juncrions some people were colour blind so that's why they introduced the test ??

Maybe they thought there was so many accidents at traffic light controlled juncrions some people were colour blind so that's why they introduced the test ??

If the colour test has made a difference I shudder to think what it must have been like before. I doubt if the colour test has saved one life. If there was evidence that it does save lives it would be universal. It's not.

I'm quite weak on red / green, meaning, if a dot is "big enough", I can see whether it's red or green. But I had never have to pass a colour test in my home country. Red is always top or left, green is bottom or right.

Is there a Western country, where you have to pass a colour test for the driver's license?

Edit: typo

If the colour test has made a difference I shudder to think what it must have been like before. I doubt if the colour test has saved one life. If there was evidence that it does save lives it would be universal. It's not.

Possibly when they introduced Traffic Signals they thought it would a a good idea to introduce the Colour Test. TBH if I was driving here in Pattaya I would never take it for granted if it was green to proceed with out caution, on Beach Road trying to cross even when the lights are in your favour cars and scooters ignore the red light and carry on.

The definition in the UK of a green light is proceed with caution if the road ahead is clear, always a bit of a trick question during the Driving Test.

My friend also failed for the same reason and he directly went to the Eye doctor and got a proper pair of glasses to take care of the colour blindness and he went back and passed his test. Do the right thing or don't drive!

Probably these, http://enchroma.com/test/instructions/, but as I keep saying I am not colour blind, short sighted but pass the UK parameters for eyesight, specs will not make me see any better.

My friend also failed for the same reason and he directly went to the Eye doctor and got a proper pair of glasses to take care of the colour blindness and he went back and passed his test. Do the right thing or don't drive!

No such thing as glasses to correct colour blindness. There are some (very expensive) that are supposed to make a difference, but the jury is still out.

Archived