Chuwit gets two years in jail for demolishing beer bars in Bangkok

webfact

That shitty bar area was a disgrace and he did a public service ripping it down and replacing it with a park

Do you mean Clinton Plaza? The brainchild of a Dutchman and an American, began as a collection of beer bars in 1998. The following year it was named after then U.S. President Bill Clinton. A number of lively go-go bars appeared in 2000. Many of the names were tongue in cheek jabs at the president, including Monica Beer Bar, Bill's Coffee House and the White House.

I doubt any of you fellows ever saw the place.

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

I quite vividly recall my boss telling me in March 2001 to book my ticket to BKK as the East Asia rep for our company, so you are off by about a year.

As best I recall, the place was built and destroyed in 2001, not 2000.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some how i liked his political campaigns with No.5 as his symbol, his campaigns were different with a message to people. People also liked him because he was speaking truth.

He gave up his bad karma closing down his massage parlors that was cash cow for police and politicians.

Two year is not that much, he can reform the Thai jails and cleanup the capitalism a bit.

He is good person by not followed the money and joined Thaksin party. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

AS far as I know he sold some of the massage parlors before entering politics around 2004. He may have sold off all remaining later. He did not simply close down massage parlors.

You know you have been too long in Thailand when the only half decent politician you know is a thuggish massage parlour owner.

I have been here 25 years

You sound EXACTLY like a retired US Army Colonel I had the pleasure of calling friend.

Retired JUSMAG Chief that passed away a few years back, had spent 30+ years in Thailand, spoke fluent Thai and would say the same thing as you.

I guess he was relying on the power he has,a little black book with names.Didn't he say ,if i speak half of Bangkok will be divorced?

It looks like not everybody went to his massage shop.

The incident happened 15 years ago.

Many folks on his blacklist have turned into Luk Thep dolls by now.

That shitty bar area was a disgrace and he did a public service ripping it down and replacing it with a park

So that gives me a right to petrol bomb your car if I don't like where it is parked?

No no no. You can only stab him if you are told to not sit on his car. That's acceptable.

Do you mean Clinton Plaza? The brainchild of a Dutchman and an American, began as a collection of beer bars in 1998. The following year it was named after then U.S. President Bill Clinton. A number of lively go-go bars appeared in 2000. Many of the names were tongue in cheek jabs at the president, including Monica Beer Bar, Bill's Coffee House and the White House.

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

I quite vividly recall my boss telling me in March 2001 to book my ticket to BKK as the East Asia rep for our company, so you are off by about a year.

Checking my archive and yahoo-ing a bit I come to January 2003 (probably the night of 25th to 26th) for the demolition of Sukhumvit Sq. on the corner of soi 10. Opposite was Clinton Plaza building with a few bar around it. Still standing for one (or two?) years longer before demolished to make space for yet another magnificent hotel.

He had ZERO intention of putting a park there. When he and his thugs and bully boys were caught in their standover tactics evicting longstanding tenants he was shamed into the park deal and a show of fake remorse aimed at escaping justice.

Exactly correct. He had plans for a hotel there as my friends construction company was bidding on the project at the same time they trying to negotiate new lease terms for the tenants there as a last rip off move before kicking them out. Many people signed up for the sweet new lease deals of several months up front and no rent on the back end which would never come.

These 131 thugs came in the middle of the night and beat the hell out of the security guards sending many to hospital. They then bulldozed all of the businesses without any warning crushing everything that the tenants had in their places of business.

Chuwit was told he could never build his hotel after all of the backlash.

It was only then he decided to make a park out of it as a smokescreen for his new political career.

He then gave up all the details of the payola that hundreds of other bars were paying to the BIB. He did this to try and save his bacon over the soi 10 debacle. He was then forced to leave Thailand for about 6 months for his own safety.

After he came back he then sold all of his massive massage parlors on Ratchada and elsewhere before formally going into public office. One of his first acts in public office was a motion to outlaw all massage parlors (which he just sold!!! and which made him a wealthy many).

This maggot/pimp is as big a piece of human excrement that you will find anywhere.

I hope he really has to do the time, if anyone deserves it, he does.

Rott you scumbag!!!

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

Checking my archive and yahoo-ing a bit I come to January 2003 (probably the night of 25th to 26th) for the demolition of Sukhumvit Sq. on the corner of soi 10. Opposite was Clinton Plaza building with a few bar around it. Still standing for one (or two?) years longer before demolished to make space for yet another magnificent hotel.

Sounds pretty precise. I was living on Lat Phrao April 2001 - May 2003 when I moved to Pattaya.

Anyhow, it was a long time ago, but was definitely NOT 2000.

I just recall thinking it would be another Nana Plaza or Soi Zero, but it didn't last very long, nor did Soi Zero for that matter.

Thanks.

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

Yes. The Sofitel hotel, which is actually quite nice with a decent rooftop bar. :-)

He had ZERO intention of putting a park there. When he and his thugs and bully boys were caught in their standover tactics evicting longstanding tenants he was shamed into the park deal and a show of fake remorse aimed at escaping justice.

Exactly correct. He had plans for a hotel there as my friends construction company was bidding on the project at the same time they trying to negotiate new lease terms for the tenants there as a last rip off move before kicking them out. Many people signed up for the sweet new lease deals of several months up front and no rent on the back end which would never come.

These 131 thugs came in the middle of the night and beat the hell out of the security guards sending many to hospital. They then bulldozed all of the businesses without any warning crushing everything that the tenants had in their places of business.

Chuwit was told he could never build his hotel after all of the backlash.

It was only then he decided to make a park out of it as a smokescreen for his new political career.

He then gave up all the details of the payola that hundreds of other bars were paying to the BIB. He did this to try and save his bacon over the soi 10 debacle. He was then forced to leave Thailand for about 6 months for his own safety.

After he came back he then sold all of his massive massage parlors on Ratchada and elsewhere before formally going into public office. One of his first acts in public office was a motion to outlaw all massage parlors (which he just sold!!! and which made him a wealthy many).

This maggot/pimp is as big a piece of human excrement that you will find anywhere.

I hope he really has to do the time, if anyone deserves it, he does.

Rott you scumbag!!!

What you are trying to say is that you don't like him, or have i misunderstood

"Earlier before attending the hearing of his final verdict, Chuwit arrived at the Criminal Court at 10 am with his wife and son and paid homage to the shrine in front of the court and preyed for luck."

I would see this as a spelling error but given this man's predilections for preying on others, especially young girls, I'd say it fits.

Thank you Mr. Saint !

Not clinton plaza Sukhumvit sq on the other side, looked like a 3rd world slum. No way would it still be there if he had not cleared it, like an open sore too out in the open. I think most people knew Clinton Plaza, hardly impressive either.

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

Spot on. You have also hopefully cleared up the confusion whereby some people seem to think that Soi 10 and Clinton were one and the same. They weren't. I think Clinton was finally closed about the time of the Soi 10 destruction but a new beer bar area (Clinton 2 or was it called something else?) opened shortly afterward in its place but only lasted a year or so.

I liked Soi 10, despite its scruffy appearance. Those were the days when you weren't pressured to buy extortionately priced lady drinks if you just wanted a quiet beer with friends. Would be totally out of place on the modern Sukhumvit Road.

"Earlier before attending the hearing of his final verdict, Chuwit arrived at the Criminal Court at 10 am with his wife and son and paid homage to the shrine in front of the court and preyed for luck."

I would see this as a spelling error but given this man's predilections for preying on others, especially young girls, I'd say it fits.

Thank you Mr. Saint !

Your definition of a saint is someone who neither pimps nor sexually abuses young girls?

Someone who finds profiteering from the sexual exploitation of anyone a vile thing, is a saint in your eyes?

Standards really have fallen in the church it would appear.

Or maybe it's you...

That may well be true.But would you like your business investment to be bulldozed in the middle of the night and not get even compensation.

2 years? he must have done a deal.Mr Chuwit admits to making his millions from illegal businesses now he's seen by some as a hero because he created a park.

Jackie,, I would strongly disagree with you. There were some great , well run bars in the Soi 10complex. I used 3 of them on a regular basis.

This action by Chuwit to strong armly demolish the bars late at night (creeping in like a coward) with the army behind him just

because for some reason at the time he thought he wanted the land back. (He was not even sure why)

The owners still have not been compensated,, why not sell "Chuwit Park" & settle with the owners for loss of profits.

They think they can wai at a statue & be forgiven.

The courts of Thailand have again sided with the rich. There is no justice here

In Thailand its the opposite the crims go free and your "Lawyer" who is supposed to be an honest person with integrity???

"Only his lawyer ....... in jail"

I wonder if some of those bars were owned by foreigners, if so hope they have learnt their lesson about doing business in Thailand where things can change quite quickly to your detriment without notice.

I'm surprised that someone with just vast knowledge doesn't even know that we are talking about beer bar area on opposite side of Suk from Clinton Plaza. Oh .. I've been the place plenty.

No - Clinton Plaza was on the other side (included Dolls House then) of Sukhumvit - the odd numbered Sois side.. The Soi 10 area was small beer bars, a laundry (which I used) and some food places.

Some how i liked his political campaigns with No.5 as his symbol, his campaigns were different with a message to people. People also liked him because he was speaking truth.

He gave up his bad karma closing down his massage parlors that was cash cow for police and politicians.

Two year is not that much, he can reform the Thai jails and cleanup the capitalism a bit.

He is good person by not followed the money and joined Thaksin party. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

"A good person" is perhaps a overstatement....but he is a courageous man without a doubt...!!!!

There were so many ways out for him but he is doing the right thing ! He's facing the music, unlike all the other Politicians and businessmen who wiggle there way out of there problems with justice. I guess he will be the only good example in our lifetime..! Even in the west there are none like him.

Thainess as it should be !!!

Bert regards.

Only building a park to get acquitted. But you keep believing he is one of the good guys..... coffee1.gif

Ill intentions can still end up performing a public service. The park is nice.

Strange case indeed. I was stomping around that area near the time this happened quite a bit.

One day that beer bar complex was there, the next it had been razed by maniacs with sledge hammers. It was quite a sight to behold.

Yes I was there too, I really liked that area of bars, I was there when the bulldozers arrived long with soldiers and totally made the place flat, I knew this would drag on for years and that was an outsider, much wiser now.

Archived