Chuwit gets two years in jail for demolishing beer bars in Bangkok

webfact

I actually kind of like Chewit, and wish he'd made a bigger splash when he ran for PM. I would take him right now over that blockhead who jams the TV airwaves with his crappola every Friday night. I digress.

Despite being in the massage business, Chewit's raised a nice family. I don't think he'll spend time in any jail, though.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That shitty bar area was a disgrace and he did a public service ripping it down and replacing it with a park

Do you mean Clinton Plaza? The brainchild of a Dutchman and an American, began as a collection of beer bars in 1998. The following year it was named after then U.S. President Bill Clinton. A number of lively go-go bars appeared in 2000. Many of the names were tongue in cheek jabs at the president, including Monica Beer Bar, Bill's Coffee House and the White House.

I doubt any of you fellows ever saw the place.

No, not Clinton Plaza. It was on the opposite side of Sukhumvit.

Clinton Plaza died an economic death, built on property that was too valuable, and too hidden from traffic to compete with Nana and Cowboy.

Sukhumvit Square, in addition to beer bars, had restaurants, beauty shops, a dry cleaner and laundry, as well as other shops.

Clearly, the jerks who came to Thailand for cheap condos, and cheap living, with no real appreciation of the history of the area are all sanctimonious, and smug about its demise. Same ones who whine about street food, and narrow sidewalks.

Glad I left before it turned into a third-rate Singapore...

All yours, boys, and welcome to it.

That shitty bar area was a disgrace and he did a public service ripping it down and replacing it with a park

Do you mean Clinton Plaza? The brainchild of a Dutchman and an American, began as a collection of beer bars in 1998. The following year it was named after then U.S. President Bill Clinton. A number of lively go-go bars appeared in 2000. Many of the names were tongue in cheek jabs at the president, including Monica Beer Bar, Bill's Coffee House and the White House.

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

I quite vividly recall my boss telling me in March 2001 to book my ticket to BKK as the East Asia rep for our company, so you are off by about a year.

As best I recall, the place was built and destroyed in 2001, not 2000.

Checking my archive and yahoo-ing a bit I come to January 2003 (probably the night of 25th to 26th) for the demolition of Sukhumvit Sq. on the corner of soi 10. Opposite was Clinton Plaza building with a few bar around it. Still standing for one (or two?) years longer before demolished to make space for yet another magnificent hotel.

Sounds pretty precise. I was living on Lat Phrao April 2001 - May 2003 when I moved to Pattaya.

Anyhow, it was a long time ago, but was definitely NOT 2000.

I just recall thinking it would be another Nana Plaza or Soi Zero, but it didn't last very long, nor did Soi Zero for that matter.

Thanks.

Soi Zero may not have been around long after you arrived, but it was there long before that, although named 'Buckskin Joe' way back. I know it was there in the early '80s, when I arrived, and believe it was there at the end of the Vietnam War. A bar there, called Sexy Nights became the unofficial R&R home of the US Army Fifth Detachment, who were tasked with find MIAs. That bar became known as Det 5, and is still in business on Soi 8. Great place BTW.

I played a lot of pool on Soi Zero, and met some great guys and girls there.

Again, of no interest to the vast numbers of Bwanas who ride past it in taxis these days.

But it was good.

He won't do a day behind bars. He has dirt on waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too many people.

And yet, lots of people said he'd never be changed ... then when he was they said he wouldn't be convicted ... then when he was they say what you're saying now.

the internet cafe was trashed as well not only bars. but will they ever get suthep and his thugs behind bars ,they caused more damage than chuwit in monetary terms all over town ,plus trashed tourism and besmirched thailands good name and brought it into ill repute

Oh yeah Mr Doubtfire.

I quite vividly recall my boss telling me in March 2001 to book my ticket to BKK as the East Asia rep for our company, so you are off by about a year.

As best I recall, the place was built and destroyed in 2001, not 2000.

Checking my archive and yahoo-ing a bit I come to January 2003 (probably the night of 25th to 26th) for the demolition of Sukhumvit Sq. on the corner of soi 10. Opposite was Clinton Plaza building with a few bar around it. Still standing for one (or two?) years longer before demolished to make space for yet another magnificent hotel.

Sounds pretty precise. I was living on Lat Phrao April 2001 - May 2003 when I moved to Pattaya.

Anyhow, it was a long time ago, but was definitely NOT 2000.

I just recall thinking it would be another Nana Plaza or Soi Zero, but it didn't last very long, nor did Soi Zero for that matter.

Thanks.

Soi Zero may not have been around long after you arrived, but it was there long before that, although named 'Buckskin Joe' way back. I know it was there in the early '80s, when I arrived, and believe it was there at the end of the Vietnam War. A bar there, called Sexy Nights became the unofficial R&R home of the US Army Fifth Detachment, who were tasked with find MIAs. That bar became known as Det 5, and is still in business on Soi 8. Great place BTW.

Again, of no interest to the vast numbers of Bwanas who ride past it in taxis these days.

But it was good.

Buckskin Joe's (Soi Zero).

Loved that place.

Wanida was the bar I used to frequent.

Strange case indeed. I was stomping around that area near the time this happened quite a bit.

One day that beer bar complex was there, the next it had been razed by maniacs with sledge hammers. It was quite a sight to behold.

What part of bkk was this? If it occured in 2003 i wouldn't have witnessed it but it must truly have been a sight to behold. Imagine 131 men with sledge hammers destroying the businesses of the bar owners and they probably didn't really fight back.

I never went in, but I remember its logo was a big lit cigar.

No, the area in question was Sukhumvit Square. Unlike Clinton Plaza where the owners were wealthy, the businesses in Sukhumvit Square (beer bars, but also other businesses like hair salons, Thai massage and an Internet cafe) were mostly owned and run by people who were left destitute when the rent-a-mob destroyed their businesses. As a result, some non prostitutes were forced into prostitution to support their families. I am well aware that the beer bars there were not salubrious, but their abrupt destruction caused a lot of human misery.

But it was good.

Soi Zero was definitely not around at the time of the Vietnam War - it was much more recent than that (it was built under the Expressway which was only constructed in, I think, the 80's).

Soi Cowboy and Bars / Massage Parlours on Petchburi Road were the areas popular with US servicemen - by some sort of unwritten agreement very few frequented Patpong which was the main venue for Expat residents and tourists at that time.

Patrick

Only building a park to get acquitted. But you keep believing he is one of the good guys..... coffee1.gif

Ill intentions can still end up performing a public service. The park is nice.

That "Park" is simply a vanity project and a major waste of space - the opening times are ridiculously restrictive

Patrick

But it was good.

Soi Zero was definitely not around at the time of the Vietnam War - it was much more recent than that (it was built under the Expressway which was only constructed in, I think, the 80's).

Soi Cowboy and Bars / Massage Parlours on Petchburi Road were the areas popular with US servicemen - by some sort of unwritten agreement very few frequented Patpong which was the main venue for Expat residents and tourists at that time.

Patrick

I know it was there in 1983, actually my second trip to Bangkok. And I heard stories about Det 5 having hung out there post Vietnam, but, yes, Soi Cowboy, Petchaburi, and also Saphan Kwai were R&R spots during the war. I don't think my first trip (1982) was before the expressway, but I'm not really sure. My Thai gf (who I first met in LA) kept me on a very short leash, mostly around Yannawa. I had no idea about Cowboy, Nana, although I had heard about Patpong, but was forbidden to go...

Thanks for your comments. Good times.

But it was good.

Patrick

Patrick, my recollection is that Soi Cowboy was post Vietnam - more like the late 70s. New Petchburi Road was a huge hangout for the GIs though and also a string of bars in Saphan Kwai. I think the soi was called Soi Katoey (but I never saw one there).

But it was good.

Patrick

Patrick, my recollection is that Soi Cowboy was post Vietnam - more like the late 70s. New Petchburi Road was a huge hangout for the GIs though and also a string of bars in Saphan Kwai. I think the soi was called Soi Katoey (but I never saw one there).

I think you are right - my memory for dates is a little hazy but for sure it was not named "Soi Cowboy" at the time - that name came somewhat later (coined, I think, by Bernard Trink - but again I may be wrong) and was derived from the name of the first Bar in that Soi, opened by an African American chap (whos' name I also forget!) who always wore a Cowboy hat.

Patrick

No - Clinton Plaza was on the other side (included Dolls House then) of Sukhumvit - the odd numbered Sois side.. The Soi 10 area was small beer bars, a laundry (which I used) and some food places.

There was also a single Go-Go bar in the right hand side back corner of the area - must have only lasted a month or so before the place got levelled.

Well blow-me-down, a beer bar named after Monica, did you need to kneel at the bar....

But it was good.

I remember one night having a beer in Soi Zero, when suddenly a dozen or so drummers (Welsh Guards I think), led by a vaguely embarrassed looking Captain, all in full uniform ( without headgear) marched down the Soi, turned about and marched back up!

Nobody batted an eyelid!

It was a fun place to drink, as was Sukhumvit Square. ..

Clinton Plaza was on the other side of Sukhumvit close to the old Thermae bar.

Not only have I seen it, I have had a few afternoon beers there.

As for the one that Chuwit knocked down I used to drink in there too. A Thai friend had a part share in a bar there but she sold it before it was knocked down. Lucky girl.

He had ZERO intention of putting a park there. When he and his thugs and bully boys were caught in their standover tactics evicting longstanding tenants he was shamed into the park deal and a show of fake remorse aimed at escaping justice.

Exactly right. There was a bit more of a firestorm than he expected from his demolition, so the park idea was a quickie fix to try to avoid jail. The arrogance of the wealthy elite here is astonishing, the fact he even thought he could get away with it. As he destroyed the livihood of so many people, I am surprised no one took him out......

Only building a park to get acquitted. But you keep believing he is one of the good guys..... coffee1.gif

Ill intentions can still end up performing a public service. The park is nice.

That "Park" is simply a vanity project and a major waste of space - the opening times are ridiculously restrictive

Patrick

Agree whole heartedly. Open from 6:30 til 8:30 and from 5 til 8 pm or some such insanity.

I used to walk my daughter past it on her way home from preschool every afternoon and explain to her why we couldn't go into the park.

I believe there is a chuwit foundation or residnece right next door. It's just political smoke and mirrors, and I don't believe he has actually given it over to the city, but is still sitting on it waiting for his time to come.

Just wait once his sentence is complete and he has paid his "dues".

Archived