All rock climbing banned on Phi PhiAll rock climbing banned on Phi Phi

snoop1130

All rock climbing banned on Phi Phi
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-78545800-1453981488_thumb.

PHUKET: -- All rock climbers, including independent climbers, are banned from scaling the bolted rock faces on Phi Phi Don as officials look to regulate safety standards.

“We have already explained to nine tour operators offering climbing tours in the Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park area that they must suspend their services until they gain the necessary permission from us,” Sorayut Tansathian, the chief of the national park, told Phuket Gazette. “I am sure other operators, as well as individuals, are also using the rock faces for climbing. They all must stop climbing until they comply with regulations.”

Mr Sorayut explained that he was currently in discussions with the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) about what criteria should be part of the necessary qualifications to secure permission to climb in the park.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/All-rock-climbing-banned-Phi-Phi/62995?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-28

"...to regulate safety standards" or "secure permission to climb in the park"?

Which is it?

My guess as a resident here tells me they want baht

As a 6'1" white lad into climbing, jumping, swimming and the like, I haven't met a Thai on par, and extremely substandard when it comes to safety and competence.

Someone wants their cut.

Knowing Thais, it's baht, euro, sterling or dollar they want.

The national park officials hav,ent got a clue about climbing, or safety standards. The climbing there is very safe with a lot of bolts being made of titanium so they

do not deteriorate in the salt air. I never heard of serious accident there as against boating and diving accidents. The truth is there is no money in for them as

they haven't found a way to charge climbers, yet. So now Brown envelopes will be changing hands for climbing to continue, for climbing schools and tour operators anyway, hard to see bona fida climbers paying anything, how will they catch them,? if they do, throw them in jail? that would be great for even more bad publicity for Thailand

I've climbed at Phi Phi a number of times.
Awesome views, 2 or 3 companies to choose from (I've used 2).
Felt very safe, even had my 8 year old climb the same routes and watched the safety explained by the Thai instructor.
No problem.

But now, this guy says, he doesn't need to talk to an expert, he can see the climbs are too steep.

Yes, when I read that, I thought something strange going on and thought maybe it was because they had been building a new resort at the end of the beach and possibly they didn't want anyone walking across it to access the climbing (to the west of the pier as you arrive on the ferry).

But, the payoff (or lack of) makes more sense.

So, let's destroy one of the reasons why people come here, along with the sea gypsy village in Rawai that many go to see, and ban diving while your at it. (but keep those jet skis running)

Felt very safe, even had my 8 year old climb the same routes and watched the safety explained by the Thai instructor.

No problem.

But now, this guy says, he doesn't need to talk to an expert, he can see the climbs are too steep.

Yes, when I read that, I thought something strange going on and thought maybe it was because they had been building a new resort at the end of the beach and possibly they didn't want anyone walking across it to access the climbing (to the west of the pier as you arrive on the ferry).

So, let's destroy one of the reasons why people come here, along with the sea gypsy village in Rawai that many go to see, and ban diving while your at it. (but keep those jet skis running)

Where in either story does it say this guy "does not need to talk to an expert because he can see the climbs are too steep".?

If a business is using a National Park to make money then I reckon it is fair enough that it gets permission to do so, and pays a license fee. I am sure that would be the case in your home country, it certainly is in mine. Otherwise it is no different to any other case of business encroaching onto public land, something which is slowly being dealt with lately. Or perhaps you think it is ok to take over beaches, forests, national parks, etc ?

No problem.

Where in either story does it say this guy "does not need to talk to an expert because he can see the climbs are too steep".?

If a business is using a National Park to make money then I reckon it is fair enough that it gets permission to do so, and pays a license fee. I am sure that would be the case in your home country, it certainly is in mine. Otherwise it is no different to any other case of business encroaching onto public land, something which is slowly being dealt with lately. Or perhaps you think it is ok to take over beaches, forests, national parks, etc ?[/quote

“Climbing is an extreme sport and a risky activity. Even though there are safety regulations, and well-tested equipment is being used, there is still the possibility of someone falling and dying,” said Worapot Lomlim, the Ao Phang Na National Park chief. “There is no need for an expert’s opinion on this; I can see myself that it is not safe.” - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Park-chief-kills-Koh-Yao-Noi-climbing/62900#ad-image-0

No problem.

If a business is using a National Park to make money then I reckon it is fair enough that it gets permission to do so, and pays a license fee. I am sure that would be the case in your home country, it certainly is in mine. Otherwise it is no different to any other case of business encroaching onto public land, something which is slowly being dealt with lately. Or perhaps you think it is ok to take over beaches, forests, national parks, etc ?

Not supposed to put links on here so: google the following statement, you'll find it: “Climbing is an extreme sport and a risky activity. Even though there are safety regulations, and well-tested equipment is being used, there is still the possibility of someone falling and dying,” said Worapot Lomlim, the Ao Phang Na National Park chief. “There is no need for an expert’s opinion on this; I can see myself that it is not safe.”

Archived