Thailand asks Google to bend censorship rules

webfact

Thailand Asks Google to Bend Censorship Rules
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14539752271453975257l.jpg
Photo : Robert Scoble / Flickr

BANGKOK — Thai officials asked Google to make an exception and remove content without a court order, according to leaked details of a meeting this past Friday with top executives from the U.S.-based search giant.

The second meeting between Google legal reps and a junta censorship committee was detailed in a document leaked by Thai net freedom advocates hours before Anonymous-aligned hacktivists shut down 20 Department of Corrections websites Thursday morning.

On Wednesday night, a group of Thai activists opposed to government intrusion online published a document said to be a summary of the Jan. 22 meeting between Google Vice President General Counsel Matt Sucherman and the self-described “Media Reform Committee.”

According to the document, which bears officials’ signatures and appears consistent to similar documents, the committee asked Google to immediately take down content the military government deems to be illegal without asking for a court order.

“We would like Google to expedite the process of website removal once it is requested by qualified authorities to save from the possible damage of time, as it will not correct the situation if we wait for the court process,” it said.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453975227&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-29

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the reason for blocking websites was to stop people trying to make anthrax at home or trying out some stuff in the anarchists cookbook, i could kind of understand. But, this is the junta we are talking about. They don't want anybody to know about stuff like bent judges acting like mad dogs in public, bent coppers using scapegoats, murdering politicians hiding from justice. Self serving bs. I hope google told them where to go, otherwise anonymous will shame them more and more.

Generally but not always there is a certain pattern to having a General leading a nation , very few Generals can take criticism or negative feedback or being told by the people to naff off, hence censorship , restrictive freedom of speech , Asia is littered with despots over the centuries , Thailand is another case in Point , let the courts take Google to court under some censorship ruling, let them tie up the legal system, but better still Google should do the right thing under freedom of speech and remove its presence from Thailand , if it had the moral gumption that is..............................................coffee1.gif .

Don't they know we are special?'

Don't they know their rules do not apply to us but everyone else's must abide by?

Don't they know we like to try and enforce our laws ( LM/deformation) on people in their own country's?

Don't they know I have 99.3% approval by the people?

Don't they know I have my super powers article 44 and I can do anything?

Don't they know that we are not censoring anyone accept you can't criticize us or police or say anything we don't like and clicking the like button is a crime?

Why don't they (the government) know that "bending the rules" for one group set's a precedent and therefor having rules will have no meaning?

If you don't like the rules then don't play the game.

Do any rules apply to Thais or Thai government? They are FREE (to do as they please)..... regardless of how it impacts others or the country's standing in the world community (of which it might not be part of).

Hope I don't get warned again.

Generally but not always there is a certain pattern to having a General leading a nation , very few Generals can take criticism or negative feedback or being told by the people to naff off, hence censorship , restrictive freedom of speech , Asia is littered with despots over the centuries , Thailand is another case in Point , let the courts take Google to court under some censorship ruling, let them tie up the legal system, but better still Google should do the right thing under freedom of speech and remove its presence from Thailand , if it had the moral gumption that is..............................................coffee1.gif .

Good luck with that; Google is currently trying to wheedle its way back into the good offices of the CPC, that beacon of Chinese liberalism.

Good luck with that; Google is currently trying to wheedle its way back into the good offices of the CPC, that beacon of Chinese liberalism.

Chinese liberalism,... what an oximoron is that?

Do any rules apply to Thais or Thai government? They are FREE (to do as they please)..... regardless of how it impacts others or the country's standing in the world community (of which it might not be part of).

Don't worry as you are all set now, we are all nobody's unless having been warned or better still suspended by the forum. ??

I wonder if there was any ' or else ' edge to the govt's request ?

You have been WARNED.

stop and desist or else....

If the reason for blocking websites was to stop people trying to make anthrax at home or trying out some stuff in the anarchists cookbook, i could kind of understand. But, this is the junta we are talking about. They don't want anybody to know about stuff like bent judges acting like mad dogs in public, bent coppers using scapegoats, murdering politicians hiding from justice. Self serving bs. I hope google told them where to go, otherwise anonymous will shame them more and more.

There's only one thing they want to prohibit Thais from knowing about. It's the REALLY BIG SECRET. If you Google it use a IP mask and non tracking search engine because I'm sure quite soon, even visiting sites will become a crime. They just cannot get that single Gateway in fast enough.

Only relevant phrase is ' TOTAL CONTROL ' yet there's a certain word we are not allowed to use despite regular reminders just how applicable it is !

A better word would be TRANSPARENCY.

These guys are what they are and we know them for it.

The real TOTAL CONTROL of what we see lies elsewhere.

You are not the only member of that club.

Archived