Tourism in Jan 2016 up by 15 percent compared to same period last year

webfact

chinese chinese everywhere but not a baht to spend bah.gif

I'm in Dhara Dhevi now in Chiangmai having a seafood buffet and Chinese are here

Guess the cheap Charlies you are hanging out with are giving you a double vision mate

Time to lay off the drinks ....

Here in Pattaya, they only eat at hand picked restaurants, only stay at hand picked hotels, and all activities are pre-setup. You don't see them in Central Festival shopping, they are taken to select stores. Some walk around and shop, but not many. Most are behind a guide holding a flag. Just like in China.

It's been widely reported how packaged tourists (from any country) don't spend as much as independent travelers...who funnel money to a wider portion of the country. Not just a select few.

But yes, there are many here now. For better or worse, Thailand managed to get into another market after the fall of the "Russian" market.

Interesting, they cram into all the shopping malls here in Chiang Mai, the tour buses drop them off en-masse at the Robinsons at Airport mall.

Are they at any mall in the city? Can't remember the one I visited, a bit outside town, multi level. Quite nice. They do take them to the duty free shop here. I think one problem is the difficulty of parking near the malls here. They do drop them off for para sailing, etc, but after that, they seem to get back on the bus and head elsewhere.

chinese chinese everywhere but not a baht to spend bah.gif

I'm in Dhara Dhevi now in Chiangmai having a seafood buffet and Chinese are here

Guess the cheap Charlies you are hanging out with are giving you a double vision mate

Time to lay off the drinks ....

Here in Pattaya, they only eat at hand picked restaurants, only stay at hand picked hotels, and all activities are pre-setup. You don't see them in Central Festival shopping, they are taken to select stores. Some walk around and shop, but not many. Most are behind a guide holding a flag. Just like in China.

It's been widely reported how packaged tourists (from any country) don't spend as much as independent travelers...who funnel money to a wider portion of the country. Not just a select few.

But yes, there are many here now. For better or worse, Thailand managed to get into another market after the fall of the "Russian" market.

This is your first time visitors from the small provinces in China

They are here on packaged tours and hence even at the lowest rung at their numbers , they benefit the local places , small hotels , restaurants workers and chefs and buying all the souvenirs none of us will touch like picture plates , key chains , packs of mangoes and they head home and tell their friends about it and cycle repeats

This is vital for many low end jobs in Thailand and have a place and again the FIT guests who are confident on their own are staying at TOP tier places and like a few posters mention they shop at the Malls , they use Alipay for their purchases way more advance than some expat groups and they stay at top end places

The manager at Fujian Dhara Dhevi tells me when there are tour groups coming and I avoid the place as I like my Dim sum served slow while I sip my tea and the packages these tour groups buy are not cheap nor the crowds I saw last night at Ren Japanese restaurant it was 1500 baht a head for a normal weekday dinner night and it was packed

For those that want to see and interact with the middle class and upper middle class Chinese head to the high end hotels and engage them with a Ni Hao be surprised most speak smattering English and very keen to interact with you and are worldly traveled. I just met one that just visited Iran to see Persian carpets as that was his interest ....

Amazing people when you drop the presence ...they are just regular folks

I'll try to find the article, but from what it said, mainly Chinese are benefiting from these groups. Money is paid in China, hotels/restaurants here they visit are owned by Chinese, and the Thai employees are poorly paid. So little money actually gets into the pockets of Thai nationals. It's been widely reported mass tourism like this is of little benefit to the host country. Quite the opposite, it's harmful.

I've spent 6 months traveling around China. So know it from that perspective fairly well. They're not known for treating their environment very well. Lots of problems.

Interesting, they cram into all the shopping malls here in Chiang Mai, the tour buses drop them off en-masse at the Robinsons at Airport mall.

Are they at any mall in the city? Can't remember the one I visited, a bit outside town, multi level. Quite nice. They do take them to the duty free shop here. I think one problem is the difficulty of parking near the malls here. They do drop them off for para sailing, etc, but after that, they seem to get back on the bus and head elsewhere.

They're conspicuous at Central Festival and Airport Malls, the only two I use, especially the latter.

I'll try to find the article, but from what it said, mainly Chinese are benefiting from these groups. Money is paid in China, hotels/restaurants here they visit are owned by Chinese, and the Thai employees are poorly paid. So little money actually gets into the pockets of Thai nationals. It's been widely reported mass tourism like this is of little benefit to the host country. Quite the opposite, it's harmful.

I've spent 6 months traveling around China. So know it from that perspective fairly well. They're not known for treating their environment very well. Lots of problems.

I think when you find the article on Thai fishing industry , it's quite apparent that you are poorly paid in all aspects of you have a rank and file job in Thailand irregardless of the industry

Won't be fair to blame the Chinese ....money is paid to the Chinese travel agent in China ( just like anyone else) and then the agent pays the hotels and restaurants buses here in Thailand to Thai owners ...I know one of them ...I don't think any Thai owners here is giving the rooms , meals and bus rides for free :P

That's benefiting Thai economy and Thai people ...same guys being paid to pack the cashew nut snacks ....they don't get paid much but it's better than no pay check at the end of the month

I think when you find the article on Thai fishing industry , it's quite apparent that you are poorly paid in all aspects of you have a rank and file job in Thailand irregardless of the industry

Won't be fair to blame the Chinese ....money is paid to the Chinese travel agent in China ( just like anyone else) and then the agent pays the hotels and restaurants buses here in Thailand to Thai owners ...I know one of them ...I don't think any Thai owners here is giving the rooms , meals and bus rides for free tongue.png

That's benefiting Thai economy and Thai people ...same guys being paid to pack the cashew nut snacks ....they don't get paid much but it's better than no pay check at the end of the month

Again, I'll try to find the article, but the hotels and restaurants are owned by Chinese. Via proxies. A very common practice here in Thailand. The vast majority of the money from these packaged tourists does not end up in Thailand.

Won't be fair to blame the Chinese ....money is paid to the Chinese travel agent in China ( just like anyone else) and then the agent pays the hotels and restaurants buses here in Thailand to Thai owners ...I know one of them ...I don't think any Thai owners here is giving the rooms , meals and bus rides for free tongue.png

Again, I'll try to find the article, but the hotels and restaurants are owned by Chinese. Via proxies. A very common practice here in Thailand. The vast majority of the money from these packaged tourists does not end up in Thailand.

If you insist I Guess ....will wait out with abated breath that the better western tourists who come and spend every penny directly to the Thais then

• 2 weeks later...

post-160540-14552728590312_thumb.jpg

I am eating at my fav place weekly at Laem Chaeron Seafood ...every week I eat here I see a new Chinese group

They are not the cheap Charlies paying local restaurants proxies etc

Table is full of crabs, fish and all kid of seafood food ...not your usual 45 baht meal ...I count 15 people there in the group

Archived