Paying for Treatment on the NHS if Non Resident in the UK

jamie2009

• 3 weeks later...

About a year ago, I found a web document that was a proposal (very well drafted, and very thorough) for changes to the UK Health Service and entitlements to treatment.

Of significance to this thread was the proposal that entitlement to completely free health service should be given to expats who live abroad but who have paid National Insurance contributions for a period of 20 years or so (I forget the exact number.)

The document was a consultation proposal. After about a year or so, the plan was to submit it to government or parliament in some way or other, ultimately to become an official proposal for goverment consideration.

Unfortunately due to computer crashes etc I am unable to locate the document, and nor can I find any recent news of it.

Does anyone know of this proposal? Have there been further developments?

If implemented, it would be a major beneficial change to Health Service entitlement for many expats.

DocTom.

About a year ago, I found a web document that was a proposal (very well drafted, and very thorough) for changes to the UK Health Service and entitlements to treatment.

Of significance to this thread was the proposal that entitlement to completely free health service should be given to expats who live abroad but who have paid National Insurance contributions for a period of 20 years or so (I forget the exact number.)

The document was a consultation proposal. After about a year or so, the plan was to submit it to government or parliament in some way or other, ultimately to become an official proposal for goverment consideration.

Unfortunately due to computer crashes etc I am unable to locate the document, and nor can I find any recent news of it.

Does anyone know of this proposal? Have there been further developments?

If implemented, it would be a major beneficial change to Health Service entitlement for many expats.

DocTom.

The figure was ten years and the proposal to adopt it was dropped, very very quietly, after the elections!

Let me play devils advocate to test the strength of all of this:

If somebody is asking questions and gets even a little bit suspicious, would they not be likely to check with the Pensions people, if they did so they would soon find out what the status of the patients pension was, paid overseas and not eligible for annual increases perhaps? Not an issue for those using a convenience address in the UK but a problem for genuine expats.

And for the convenience address folks: what to do if asked for proof of current address, utility bill and UK bank statement showing recent activity (remember, the person who is asking the question is suspicious).

AND AND, what about checks of the electoral register and proof of community charge having been paid, what sort of sensible answer would you give?

First the chances of them checking are very slim ,second the depts do not share information , and anyway you live with your ,son/daughter/uncle/aunt so do not pay the bills also the chances of them asking are v slim , and dont forget , most people from abroad never ever pay the bills anyway , so why should you .

Archived